Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dark Souls

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

You can't pause this game .

I'm not sure if that's a pedantic joke or not...

Hit the menu button then, it's fair handy for ****e like this, or farming a level or two.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 74 ✭✭GeorgeStobort

The black knight at the bottom of dark root basin doesn't drop the halberd anymore . Has it been patched out of the game

He does, it's not a great drop rate though

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

He does, it's not a great drop rate though

I got it on my first ever play through. It lasted me till the end of the game! It was only afterwards that I learned how rare it can be to get that drop

I got a Channelers Trident on my second playthrough (never reached the Archives on try no.1) and in hundreds of hours of play, probably 20+ playthroughs, with several hours dedicated to finding another one, I've never seen one since.

It bothered me more when I wanted all the achievements, now it just serves as a memory of my fudged luck.

Had another run where I wanted to play Dex without the Uchi/Iaito so I went straight to the catacombs for the Great Scythe, wasn't arsed farming a Balder Side Sword. First Balder Knight drop in the Parish was a bloody BSS.

I'm glad stuff like the Trident happened before I spent hours farming it, getting something randomly after you've been farming is much worse.

Same happened with my first ever Shiny Pokémon, 1/8192 chance of any wild Pokémon being shiny, cue "Why is this fella yellow? Ah well, they're ****e anyways". Yet to find another natural shiny :(

This post has reminded me, Iaito is the superior katana and is always worth a trip fir

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

I got it on my first ever play through. It lasted me till the end of the game! It was only afterwards that I learned how rare it can be to get that drop

Yeah I got a Black Knight Sword from the one in Undead Burg I think....used it till the end of the game :)...fell in love with it so much that as soon as I found one in DS3 I just dropped everything I had to accommodate it

Anything I can't get to protect me from the curse and toxic stuff in blight town

Cursebite and Poisonbite rings I think they're called.

Rusted Iron Ring can be found in the undead asylum to stop slowdown in the swamp.

Purple Moss Flowers and Blooming Purple Moss Flowers can cure poison and toxic respectively, found in the forest by Andre, dropped by the Plant Things

Anything I can't get to protect me from the curse and toxic stuff in blight town

The guy in the belfry just after the gargoyles sells stuff to immediately remove curse.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭moonboy52

The guy in the belfry just after the gargoyles sells stuff to immediately remove curse.

I killed him tonight by accident. First NPC ever, it's a hard pill to swallow :)

• Advertisement

Where's good for farming large titnite shards

Farming souls and buying them in Anor Londo is the best way to get them. Farming Dickwraiths saves you having to farm chunks separately

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭CliCliW

There's no curse in blighttown that you need to worry about that i can remember? Bring a spider shield with you, there's one by the giant rat in the depths and another at valley of the drakes, i believe? That'll help with the dart snipers. They're non respawning so if you kill them you'll make your life much easier!

Purple moss clumps and blooming moss clumps will help cure the poison and toxic, and when you get to the swamp, the rusted iron ring. Don't even bother curing the poison either till you're done in the swamp, just keep an eye on your health and you should be fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Frame rate should be recognised as another enemy type in Blighttown.

The game is so badly optimised, it runs sound for most of it on console in fairness to it.

You can unlock it to 60 on PC but unless you've a mega PC it won't stay solid, i can run Dark Souls 3 at Ultra, 60fps with no dips but Dark Souls regularly drops to 30, even in areas where there's feck all on the screen. It's screws up the action queue and literally makes it impossible to play.

Got an offer to speedrun this at Itzacon Galway next week, had to turn it down unfortunately.

The game is so badly optimised, it runs sound for most of it on console in fairness to it.

You can unlock it to 60 on PC but unless you've a mega PC it won't stay solid, i can run Dark Souls 3 at Ultra, 60fps with no dips but Dark Souls regularly drops to 30, even in areas where there's feck all on the screen. It's screws up the action queue and literally makes it impossible to play.

Got an offer to speedrun this at Itzacon Galway next week, had to turn it down unfortunately.

I played through it on PC, it was fine. I used the DS Fix and had no problems.
    I was playing it again last night...NG+ ....no issues either.
    So your statement of "Literally impossible to play" is way off.
    I also have many friends who own and play it on PC with little to no issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Frame rate should be recognised as another enemy type in Blighttown.

Just to clarify I played the 360 version on Xbox One. I found the frame rate would particularly dip near flaming torches. I wouldn't say it was impossible to play it just added to the difficulty and frustration a bit.

SeantheMan wrote: »
    I played through it on PC, it was fine. I used the DS Fix and had no problems.
    I was playing it again last night...NG+ ....no issues either.
    So your statement of "Literally impossible to play" is way off.
    I also have many friends who own and play it on PC with little to no issue.

I mean when you're playing it at 60 and get random frame drops, if you press a button during the frame drop, it's not added to the cue at all. So you get a drop mid enemy attack, hit the dodge button and suddendly we're back to full speed but the game hasn't registered the button press. Look at the context of the rest of the paragraph.

Runs fine at 30 for me, just the frame drops at 60 screw the whole thing up.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,597 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

So, lad just beat Ornstein and Smough!
    Pretty proud of him, he had to do a lot of work to get there.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,597 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

He's now in some crystal area, mad stuff Ted!
    I'm stunned really how good he is at the game, certainly better than me.
    He has all of the Souls games lined up to play next, from Demons to the number of the counting being 3.
    He wants to jump to the third game, I'd prefer if he went back to Demons myself.
    All of this and he's still playing Breath of the Wild!
    So much time to game as a teenager!
    Youth is wasted on the young!

• Advertisement

He's flying it, what does he think of those damned invisible walkways?

Let him move onto 3, it fits the story of 1 much better than 2.
    The Crystal Caves are just such a troll fest. I had to check a wiki to figure out what I was meant to do.

He's flying it, what does he think of those damned invisible walkways?

I don't know, i can offer no advice.
    He's up against some lava monster thing now...
    No son, fireballs were never going to be super effective against it!

Such a trollfest, i always forget where the last path is when I've been away for a while.

Have you gone for the Titanite Chunk down there Sean? It's a ridiculous path.

Worst boss in the game coming up for the young fella Cidey, if it doesn't make him ragequit nothing will

Such a trollfest, i always forget where the last path is when I've been away for a while.

Have you gone for the Titanite Chunk down there Sean? It's a ridiculous path.

Worst boss in the game coming up for the young fella Cidey, if it doesn't make him ragequit nothing will

No, I'm not a completionist like that. I just wanted to get past that area ASAP.
    That place and Tomb of the Giants (in the dark) are the 2 places I didn't care to explore at all and just made/make a beeline for the objective everytime.

It's the worst boss fight...because it's the easiest I thought. One of the few ...if not the only one I killed on my first playthrough without taking a hit (except for the required first encounter of course)

The lad continues to do well.
    Lava monster toast.
    He nipped off and polished off a few bosses he'd skipped, Pinwheel and the Hydra.
    Jaysus.
    The Hydra.
    I hated that thing, my lad just stood there with a dragon bow thing and pounded him to death at range.
    No more Hydra.
    He's thinking of killing the one in Ash Lake for kicks.

Righty-ho

He's onto the Four Kings...

And is playing DS2 and 3, and Zelda BotW as well....

why don't have that kind of time to play games????

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Righty-ho

He's onto the Four Kings...

And is playing DS2 and 3, and Zelda BotW as well....

why don't have that kind of time to play games????

You did, but back then it was Ataris or Nintendos or Megadrives.
    It was 1 or 2 games AT MOST at a time...because we didn't have STEAM sales or PSN sales.

You should make him complete DS1 before letting him move on to 2/3 ;) :P

SeantheMan wrote: »
    You did, but back then it was Ataris or Nintendos or Megadrives.
    It was 1 or 2 games AT MOST at a time...because we didn't have STEAM sales or PSN sales.

You should make him complete DS1 before letting him move on to 2/3 ;) :P

I can't make him do anything!!!
    And he's flying through DS3 as well!
    I should only let him play 13 rated games as punishment, nothing but Lego games for another 3 years!
    That'll learn him!

• Advertisement

Its a sliding scale, back then you had all the time in the world to play games, but feck all money to buy them.
    Now, I can buy all the games in the world, but have no time to play them.

:(

Advertisement