Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dark Souls

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I can't make him do anything!!!
    And he's flying through DS3 as well!
    I should only let him play 13 rated games as punishment, nothing but Lego games for another 3 years!
    That'll learn him!

DS3 is surprisingly short compared to the other souls games I found.
    On a second playthrough when you know where to go it's MUCH shorter...I think I did NG+ in 12 hours (incl all bosses and optional ones)...and that wasn't rushing at all.

Set him up with an emulator and give him homework of classics
    'Metal Gear Solid' etc

Games like Metal Gear still hold up today and aren't THAT much of a leap to go back and play, but in 5-10 years when he's buying games for himself...I doubt he'll want to go back to something so dated looking . So obviously his aul' fella should introduce them to him now while he can.:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

SeantheMan wrote: »
    I doubt he'll want to go back to something so dated looking . So obviously his aul' fella should introduce them to him now while he can.:cool:

Agreed. Get him stuck into Final Fantasy 7. Its the greatest game of all time. OF ALL TIME

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,597 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

DS3 is surprisingly short compared to the other souls games I found.
    On a second playthrough when you know where to go it's MUCH shorter...I think I did NG+ in 12 hours (incl all bosses and optional ones)...and that wasn't rushing at all.

Set him up with an emulator and give him homework of classics
    'Metal Gear Solid' etc

Games like Metal Gear still hold up today and aren't THAT much of a leap to go back and play, but in 5-10 years when he's buying games for himself...I doubt he'll want to go back to something so dated looking . So obviously his aul' fella should introduce them to him now while he can.:cool:

He's a git
    He already finished MGS3...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,597 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Agreed. Get him stuck into Final Fantasy 7. Its the greatest game of all time. OF ALL TIME

You obviously meant to say Earthbound... or Chronotrigger...

He's a git
    He already finished MGS3...

MGS1 though :)

• Advertisement

MGS1 though :)

Yeah, i have the PS game with the extra vr missions disk and also the Twin Snakes version for the GC, we'll see if he can find the time in his busy gaming schedule!

And now he's on the last boss, i think the run from the checkpoint to the boss room is the biggest pain.
    But he'll have it done soon, and that'll be him back to DS3.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

And now he's on the last boss, i think the run from the checkpoint to the boss room is the biggest pain.

yup, its a gauntlet for sure.

I found gwyn to be one of the more difficult bosses, hes unrelenting in his attacks, and that poxy grab really throws you off on your timing.

In DS1 ?

No way, fighting Black/Silver Knights is my favourite thing in that game.
    They taught my to parry...or well...FORCED me to learn.
    By the time Gywn came around I was able to parry him to death.

He has spent about 5 hours trying to beat Gywn... he managed to parry him once and get a stab in... practice practice!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Never ever learnt to parry :(
    Just can't do it

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

CiDeRmAn wrote:
    He has spent about 5 hours trying to beat Gywn... he managed to parry him once and get a stab in... practice practice!

I used the environment to my advantage in that fight. There's a big rock to get a breather behind!

Best place to learn is Anor Londo vrs all those silver Knights.
    Get an old Silver Knight Shield , buff it up and parry away,

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Best place to learn is Anor Londo vrs all those silver Knights.
    Get an old Silver Knight Shield , buff it up and parry away,

Parrying Dagger for the win, or the buckler is pretty fantastic for parrying too, you've loads of extra parry frames over anything else

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

has he done it yet?

I love watching this thread, seeing other poor misfortunes make it through to the end. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

I need to go back to this, I'm as far as Anor Londo.

Only reason I stopped playing was that my backlog was getting so big I decided to play a few short games and finish them. Unfortunately haven't went back to it yet.

My mind was just blown by it so many times, a hard but fair game with an unbelievable sense of achievement, more so that any game I have played in a long, long time.

has he done it yet?

I love watching this thread, seeing other poor misfortunes make it through to the end. :D

Yep, he tried to play it cool when I got in from work this evening, but he couldn't keep it in and admitted with a grin that he had beaten Gywn.
    He thought he might have cheesed it, as Gwyn appeared to glitch about a bit when Cidonalad was casting fireballs and whatnot, but it all counts and git is dead.
    On a brighter note, he did it with my account, so I get the points 'n stuff.... not quite the same as beating it myself but, to be honest, there's no way on this earth I was ever going to beat it in my lifetime.

Another cool thing is, due to the relative quiet on the servers, he pretty much solo'd the whole thing, which is pretty impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Cidey you're being outshone, you'll have to beat it now! Fair play Cidonalad

He might even give you a few tips along the way.

Dark Souls 3 next on his list is it? I've been meaning to go back to it for ages now, Overwatch and Breath of the Wild are all consuming though.

And they're so fun, Dark Souls is satisfying, but Jesus I've played a lot of hours and I don't remember when last I found them fun, probably Bloodborne's launch, which is what, 3 years?

I loved Bloodborne and DS3, finishing both.
    I ran out of patience with DS2 though.
    My heart says, when I'm done with BotW on the Switch, I'll go back and play through Demon's Souls, the bit of that I played a couple of months ago was a blast, and I have the very nice limited edition with extra bits and bobs.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,364 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Cidey you're being outshone, you'll have to beat it now! Fair play Cidonalad

Ciderman is a hack that had to get me to beat the Hydra and Capra Demon for him.

As Eamon Dunphy would say: 'Found out tonight Bill'.

• Advertisement

I need to go back to this, I'm as far as Anor Londo.

Best place in the game.
    Please post here when you encounter the next boss(es) :D:D:D

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Ciderman is a hack that had to get me to beat the Hydra and Capra Demon for him.

As Eamon Dunphy would say: 'Found out tonight Bill'.

You should get a new user name
    I suggest the following
    Rat-r0gamer.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Best place in the game.
    Please post here when you encounter the next boss(es) :D:D:D

Will do!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,172 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Dark Souls with Roguelike item randomness? Sounds like it could be a fun way to replay it.

http://www.pcgamer.com/this-mod-gives-dark-souls-the-randomness-of-a-roguelike/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

Finally finished this over the weekend. Fantastic game and I'm glad I finally got round to playing it. Going to try and pick up Dark Souls 2 at some point now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 74 ✭✭GeorgeStobort

Found Gywn very easy, had most souls in strength. Used Iron Flesh and just tanked him, killed him on my first go

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

I'm asking in this thread but I suppose this question applies to all three Souls games.

My From Software history consists of a few hours with DS1 and a playthrough of Bloodborne which I loved. Can the Souls games be approached in the same way Bloodborne encourages; no shield, dodging as opposed to parrying, being swift and light?

I know everything is technically possible since people have completed them with Guitar Hero peripherals etc. but can they be realistically enjoyed by opting for this approach or will it naturally make the games monumentally more difficult?

I kind of need that drug again.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,388 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Pac1Man wrote: »
    I'm asking in this thread but I suppose this question applies to all three Souls games.

My From Software history consists of a few hours with DS1 and a playthrough of Bloodborne which I loved. Can the Souls games be approached in the same way Bloodborne encourages; no shield, dodging as opposed to parrying, being swift and light?

I know everything is technically possible since people have completed them with Guitar Hero peripherals etc. but can they be realistically enjoyed by opting for this approach or will it naturally make the games monumentally more difficult?

I kind of need that drug again.

No shield and dodging is how most seasoned players would play.

Some attacks are too powerful too block so many forego the shield for the extra attack boost of holding two-handed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

That's what I was afraid of. :(

Fingers crossed for Bloodborne 2 in a few days so! :)

Edit: oh wait, I read your response wrong. I thought you said no whereas you actually said yes!

• Advertisement

Of the 3 Dark Souls 3 probably plays the best without a shield and with dodging.

It's a lot more fast paced and fluid compared to DS1. I did a run with just a katana recently...lot of fun.

Advertisement