Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dark Souls

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,756 ✭✭✭✭Encrypted Pigeon

Finally I can say I finished a souls game, nearly 2 long rage induced years with constant reminders of failures, it is over. Used a big ball of cheese against gywn hiding behind a rock, but I don't care, a result is a result. I'm sure there was an intelligent way to play this game but I never figured it out and went the brute force path.

My only regret was I linked the flames so soon, I want to have a crack at the dlc before ng but the excitement got the better of me :o

I still have DS3 and Bloodbourne in the waiting, but at least I know now, win is possible.

I love these games, I cant think of any other game that I've ever played that constantly draws me back.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Finally I can say I finished a souls game, nearly 2 long rage induced years with constant reminders of failures, it is over. Used a big ball of cheese against gywn hiding behind a rock, but I don't care, a result is a result. I'm sure there was an intelligent way to play this game but I never figured it out and went the brute force path.

My only regret was I linked the flames so soon, I want to have a crack at the dlc before ng but the excitement got the better of me :o

I still have DS3 and Bloodbourne in the waiting, but at least I know now, win is possible.

I love these games, I cant think of any other game that I've ever played that constantly draws me back.

Well you've got the BIGGEST hurdle out of the way.
    Not only is Dark Souls 1 possibly the hardest, it's also the most cumbersome control wise. Plus you've actually BEATEN a Souls game now.
    You're gonna enjoy 3 and be surprised at how quick it plays compared to 1 and how pretty it is :)

I'd jump onto 3 straight away while you are still in a souls mode, and also because it's more connected to 1 than what 2 is.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,756 ✭✭✭✭Encrypted Pigeon

SeantheMan wrote: »
    Well you've got the BIGGEST hurdle out of the way.
    Not only is Dark Souls 1 possibly the hardest, it's also the most cumbersome control wise. Plus you've actually BEATEN a Souls game now.
    You're gonna enjoy 3 and be surprised at how quick it plays compared to 1 and how pretty it is :)

I'd jump onto 3 straight away while you are still in a souls mode, and also because it's more connected to 1 than what 2 is.

Yeah, I have actually been playing 3 in parallel had having given up previously on ds1 in frustration and wanting to experience something new, went back to ds1 because I was getting a frustrated with
    lorian
    :D. There is the world of difference in pace, going back to DS1 felt like experiencing a telegraph, I felt 3 improved my reaction time as that needs to be on point to get anywhere in that game, everything is just fury.

I have Bloodbourne sitting here too, I haven't played it much despite it being the reason I took the plunge on a PS4. Ill get to that too, now that some confidence has been restored.

I'm normally one to bemoan remasters but I'd love if they did DS1 and right the wrongs hell call it a remake and do it the service it warrants. From would have everyone who ever played and enjoyed it buy it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,388 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I don't get many of the game play issues.

Blightown fps aside.

I thought the gameplay was excellent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

If they fleshed out the later parts of the game and gave it proper service, updated the graphics, removed some of the cheaper/more frustrating parts and added challenge in some of the easier areas I'd buy it again in a heartbeat. Give it another three or four years though

If they fleshed out the later parts of the game and gave it proper service, updated the graphics, removed some of the cheaper/more frustrating parts and added challenge in some of the easier areas I'd buy it again in a heartbeat. Give it another three or four years though

Did you play it on PC with DSFix ?

Played it mostly on Xbox but I did try the dsfix version, definite improvements but if we wait another three or four years a lot more should be possible if they actually put effort into an update instead of just refreshing some textures.

The main thing I'd like to see would be the second part of the game given the time it deserved. It was pretty obvious that places like Demon Ruins, Lost Izalith etc were rushed, they're just big empty rooms with little atmosphere and nowhere near the same attention to detail as earlier areas.

Played it mostly on Xbox but I did try the dsfix version, definite improvements but if we wait another three or four years a lot more should be possible if they actually put effort into an update instead of just refreshing some textures.

The main thing I'd like to see would be the second part of the game given the time it deserved. It was pretty obvious that places like Demon Ruins, Lost Izalith etc were rushed, they're just big empty rooms with little atmosphere and nowhere near the same attention to detail as earlier areas.

The creator of Dark Souls, Miyazaki...said that basically he wasn't in charge of Lost Izalith...hence it being basically sh1t and different from the rest of the game
    Since I had the opportunity, I had to ask what Miyazaki’s least favorite zone from the franchise is as well. The answer should come as no surprise to fans of the series – it’s the lava/dinosaur nightmare known as Lost Izalith in Dark Souls. Miyazaki comments “Don’t want to elaborate on this very much. There was a different person assigned to this area, and although I was involved, I don’t want to pose very many negative comments for his sake. It can be a learning experience for all of us.”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Doctor Nick

Picked this up today for the 360. Just finished Bloodborne so want to keep up this style of gaming though have loads of others sitting there for when I'm jaded. Have DS2 and 3 also but want to get stuck in from the start. I know Demons Souls is where it all began but don't think it's out on 360. Anyway I may need tips going forward so will be posting here a lot I'm sure.

• Advertisement

Gameplay is generally similar so you shouldn't have too many problems early on, it's just slower and you need to be a lot more patient and tactical in combat. I'm still not far into Bloodborne but from what I can see there's a lot more variation in weapons and armour in DS so you have a lot more freedom in play style.

Read up on what the different stats do as you can easily waste level ups on pointless stats that aren't necessary for whatever play style you want, eg. you can almost completely ignore strength if you're going for a dex build.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

And you always ignore Resistance.

Always.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭CliCliW

I've been trying to slug through Bloodborne recently and it's such a different animal than Dark Souls. I've been stuck for days on Darkbeast Paarl, if not longer. This seems to be a common trend with Bloodborne for me and it's kind of sad, to say the least.

CliCliW wrote: »
    I've been trying to slug through Bloodborne recently and it's such a different animal than Dark Souls. I've been stuck for days on Darkbeast Paarl, if not longer. This seems to be a common trend with Bloodborne for me and it's kind of sad, to say the least.

I stopped playing Bloodborne.
    All the areas felt very samey to me.
    I'll prob go back eventually though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭beans

Can anybody give me some useful tips for Capra Demon? I'm tempted to just start over but the thoughts of the Gargoyles again keep putting me off. Somebody mentioned using a +5 shield. Might try that with new character. At the moment I die in a few seconds.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Can anybody give me some useful tips for Capra Demon? I'm tempted to just start over but the thoughts of the Gargoyles again keep putting me off. Somebody mentioned using a +5 shield. Might try that with new character. At the moment I die in a few seconds.

get the lumps of $hit and throw them over the top of the fog gate, they'll poison him and you can kill him without ever going in. make sure to buy some moss that cures toxic though, cause it affects you as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Or go light armour, Grass Crest Shield and two hand your weapon.

As soon as the fight starts, roll round him to the left, head up the stairs and crush the dogs before he can follow. From there its pretty easy, head to the clearing inside the fog gate, and just bait his attacks, most are quite slow with huge windup and cooldown. If you need a break, sprint up the steps and heal.

I usually ran to the back of the area up the ramp thing on the left and out on the ledge so I could semi manage the dogs and try for plunge attacks, it's grand once they are out of the way.

get the lumps of $hit and throw them over the top of the fog gate, they'll poison him and you can kill him without ever going in. make sure to buy some moss that cures toxic though, cause it affects you as well.

Just watched videos of that, it's actually pretty funny. Trying not to cheese me way through it but if I end up getting Pissed off I'll end up doing it.

I just did a new character and flying through it again just to get up to there. Well as far as the steel boar thing is dead. Reading a few guides and everywhere was saying +5 weapon, +5 shield. Certain armour. So I must have be doing this before I'm suppose to as weapon was just +1 with no way of upping it anymore.

Will post back and let yis know how I get on, thanks also DS and Enfilade.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Danonino.

Capra Demon was the hardest time I have in any demons/souls/borne game. I hate that boss with a passion. Not because of him exactly but the area and those two dogs. That fight as a whole is a nightmare. You'll eventually be able to just run in and bish bash boosh have a dead Capra but the first few playthroughs he's easily the most fustrating of jerks.

I had an easier time taking down Ornstien and Smough as a level 1 cleric than I did the Capra Demon on my first few playthroughs no lies. The 4 kings as lv 1 beats it but only barely.

The post above is spot on, enter the room, run, dodge, flee for your life up the left hand side and across the ledge at the back. Your mission is to kill the dogs. Once they are dead you can take Capra on whatever way you like. so yeah. Kill the dogs.

... So I must have be doing this before I'm suppose to as weapon was just +1 with no way of upping it anymore.

On my current playthrough, I went in this order of areas/bosses
    - Firelink
    - Burg (Taurus)
    - Parish
    - Darkroot (Butterfly)
    - Basin (Hydra)
    - Garden (soul-farming the dopes)
    - (Gargoyles)
    - Lower Burg (Capra)

... so by the time I came to Capra, I had a +5 Grass Crest Shield and a +5 Balder Sidesword, plus decent levelling, which helped me 2-shot goat-boy.

beans wrote: »
    On my current playthrough, I went in this order of areas/bosses
    - Firelink
    - Burg (Taurus)
    - Parish
    - Darkroot (Butterfly)
    - Basin (Hydra)
    - Garden (soul-farming the dopes)
    - (Gargoyles)
    - Lower Burg (Capra)

... so by the time I came to Capra, I had a +5 Grass Crest Shield and a +5 Balder Sidesword, plus decent levelling, which helped me 2-shot goat-boy.

Sound, I'll chance that later. Did the Gargoyles again last night so more or less back at Capra again. Tried butterfly but that seems to be a ranged fight? Can't see how you'd hit it without magic or bow. The laser thing killed me in one shot too. I'll suss it out online later as I doubt they're deliberately forcing people not to use melee on a boss.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,543 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

Sound, I'll chance that later. Did the Gargoyles again last night so more or less back at Capra again. Tried butterfly but that seems to be a ranged fight? Can't see how you'd hit it without magic or bow. The laser thing killed me in one shot too. I'll suss it out online later as I doubt they're deliberately forcing people not to use melee on a boss.

the butterfly lands every so often. you just have to dodge his attacks in between the times he lands. As far as i can remember, he has low enough health, so does not take long to kill

The laser thing killed me in one shot too.

I remember that butterfly wrecking my head on my first playthrough. For that laser, you should be able to roll through it. Speed of roll is probably more important here than armour. Get your fast roll on.

There's a very useful NPC available for this, too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

beans wrote: »
    I remember that butterfly wrecking my head on my first playthrough. For that laser, you should be able to roll through it. Speed of roll is probably more important here than armour. Get your fast roll on.

There's a very useful NPC available for this, too.

I can't remember for sure but I think slow roll is better as you stay down for longer, staying under the laser. Nearly sure that's what I did, heavy enough armour with the grass crest shield and Drake sword.

I can't remember for sure but I think slow roll is better as you stay down for longer, staying under the laser. Nearly sure that's what I did, heavy enough armour with the grass crest shield and Drake sword.

That's interesting, seems counter-intuitive at first glance. Never really fat-roll if I can help it. Never imagined an advantage to that before now!

Moonlight butterfly down. Bastard spent 5 mins almost just going from one side of wall to the other. Was getting dizzy. Very easy Boss in the end once you avoid those lasers etc.

Go in...run the up stairs to the left...and stay in the corner of the ledge..
    More often that not he'll fall back down if he walks up them.
    You can then do a drop attack onto his head.

Rinse and repeat

• Advertisement

Moonlight butterfly down. Bastard spent 5 mins almost just going from one side of wall to the other. Was getting dizzy. Very easy Boss in the end once you avoid those lasers etc.

Worst boss in the game. You can also summon someone at the bottom..an NPC...and they solo kill it for you.

Advertisement