Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dark Souls

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

I did all of ds1 with essentially 2 weapons - drake sword then the black knight halberd which I one handed with a shield.
    funnily enough, I've gone DEX based with the Uchigatana in DS2 & 3 and much prefer it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭beans

I think my strongest build was high int, high dex, magic rapier. Made mince-meat out of most things, made the game so easy as to bore me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Doctor Nick

Been dying repeatedly in New Londo Ruins. Kept plummeting to my death after the fog wall with the spiral staircase. Had to look it up as nowhere else to go. Needed to get some special ring in Darkroot. How do people know these things without a guide? I now have to take off havels ring which I was planning to use with his armour for the 4 kings. Poxy.

I used mainly great swords in DS3. IN 2 I used mainly shortswords with elemental damage on them. Some ridiculous hit boxes in 2.

Been dying repeatedly in New Londo Ruins. Kept plummeting to my death after the fog wall with the spiral staircase. Had to look it up as nowhere else to go. Needed to get some special ring in Darkroot. How do people know these things without a guide?

From the item description: "This ring symbolizes Knight Artorias's covenant with the beasts of the Abyss. Its wearer, like Artorias himself can traverse the Abyss."

So you have to have read and internalised that piece of info, and then figured out that it was The Abyss that lives down that drop, rather than some other deadly out-of-bounds-ness. I'm sure some other description mentions that The Abyss is what's going on down under the Ruins. Still, to nail all this on your first playthrough would be unreasonable for most. I didn't figure it out myself. Most of the hidden stuff I got from videos and guides while learning more about the story. I wish I hadn't, and had a chance to go back and do it all fresh, but there's a lesson in there.

Finding the DLC? Good luck. It's amazing that they hid that content as well as they did.

TBH, half of the game for me was getting stumped, going online and then being blown away by how much work people have done to link everything together. I'd say fellas must have compiled heaps of notes and assembled them into some sort of coherence to puzzle it all out.

• Advertisement

beans wrote: »
    From the item description: "This ring symbolizes Knight Artorias's covenant with the beasts of the Abyss. Its wearer, like Artorias himself can traverse the Abyss."

Yeah see that now. But I didn't have it before I went to NLR. Forgot about the inaccessible part in Darkroot. Wasn't until I looked it up I remembered that was there and went back and fought Sif.

Finding the DLC? Good luck. It's amazing that they hid that content as well as they did.

Haven't gone near the DLC yet. Think you need to have gone to archives first or something. That's just going by a Prepare to try episode I watched. From always have these mad ways to access the DLC. I think part 3 was the most easily accessible.

TBH, half of the game for me was getting stumped, going online and then being blown away by how much work people have done to link everything together. I'd say fellas must have compiled heaps of notes and assembled them into some sort of coherence to puzzle it all out.

Yeah man, the community blows me away with their commitment to finding things out.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭Evade

Yeah man, the community blows me away with their commitment to finding things out.
    I remember watching on of Vaati's lore videos about DS3 where some information was gleaned by reversing the Dancer's vocalisations.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Evade wrote: »
    I remember watching on of Vaati's lore videos about DS3 where some information was gleaned by reversing the Dancer's vocalisations.

There's a game theory video on The Dancer fight, basically every boss in Souls has a step and swing tempo, and they all use the exact same rhythm, except the dancer. Its incredible.

*edit*

Can't youtube

Here's the link

https://youtu.be/9ZmAiyPRGqE

Must check that Dancer video out. I enjoy vaatis videos but he seems to be a very polarising chap within the Souls community. Have seen a lot of hate directed towards him.

Oh and four kings are now dead. My first Lord soul. On we go! :)

• Advertisement

Jeez, the difficulty has really ramped up with archives. Presume that dragon Seath was meant to kill you to put you in that cage?

Jeez, the difficulty has really ramped up with archives. Presume that dragon Seath was meant to kill you to put you in that cage?

Yeah its unavoidable, the archives is ****hard

Crystal caves is proving to be a nightmare.
    Ah balls a boss that curses you within 2 seconds. Can't see me enjoying this fight. All others seemed fair but this :(

Crystal caves is proving to be a nightmare.
    Ah balls a boss that curses you within 2 seconds. Can't see me enjoying this fight. All others seemed fair but this :(

Seath wasn't bad in the end. Got him on third attempt and turned out a bit intense with the curse crystals.

Bed of Chaos is an odd one. Haven't a clue how to get at it. Got the yokes either side but there a big hole in the floor and anywhere I go more holes appear.

Bed of Chaos is an odd one. Haven't a clue how to get at it. Got the yokes either side but there a big hole in the floor and anywhere I go more holes appear.

Do you want the solution? Look a bit closer

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

It's a stupid boss and tbh I'd just ask or check online to the solution.
    It's not obvious.
    It's widely regarded as one of the worst designed bosses in the Souls series.

Done it. I did have to look it up though as knew there was something up. Off to Catacombs I go.

Love the catacombs. The sense of claustrophobia, the scenery, cool enemies too. Boss design rocks.

I enjoy catacombs too. Not so much Tomb of the Giants. I actually thought you were on your first play through like myself, beans.

Have the four Lord Souls. Started DLC. Couldn't believe how quick there was a boss in it. Got past it anyway. I might actually finish Dark Souls 1! Just Demon Souls left to conquer then.

• Advertisement

Oh man this Knight Artorias fight is deadly. Half way first time so proud of myself for that. Probably my favourite fight in the game so far.

Nito is dead. As is Sanctuary Guardian, Artorias, Manus and Gwyn and the fire has been linked :)

What a journey it was.

Nito is dead. As is Sanctuary Guardian, Artorias, Manus and Gwyn and the fire has been linked :)

What a journey it was.

Fair play, you fair blitzed through it in the end!

Fair play, you fair blitzed through it in the end!

Surprised meself how quick I did it. 37 hours. My last game was longer than that and I hadn't got any lord souls. After looking up a walkthrough and it seems I missed a few things, dark Anor Londo, Dragon kalameet, the other snake thing never spawned either as I'd already placed the lord vessel. If I play again I'll look at a guide. Great game though. Love it. I liked the latter half even if some of it wasn't the most aesthetically pleasing. Demon Ruins in particular I really enjoyed. Played the majority of the game hollow, had I been human it might have been longer. The few times I was human I got invaded so it's still got active multiplayer.

I actually thought you were on your first play through like myself, beans.

Second, first was back in 2014, I bounced off Artorias and the Kings and put it down.

Fair play, I think I have 37 hours in already and I'm still at O&S

• Registered Users Posts: 23,169 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Rumours about a remaster being announced at a Namco event on the 15th...

https://seasonedgaming.com/2017/12/05/rumor-dark-souls-1-remaster-coming-to-xbox-one-ps4-and-switch/

People are sick of remasters but feck it, I'd play a new shiny version of DS.

Yeah I'd play it again ..... and again for the achievements. Those tail cuts where an arse ache though.

EDIT: Unless they 100% fix Blighttown though they can keep it.

I'd play it again, but at the same time, I'm not sure at what price. I reckon 30 euros would be the most I'd pay tbh. It would also need to be guaranteed 60fps, Include all DLC and I'd like to see a 'directors cut' treatment applied to lost Izalith and Crystal caves. otherwise I think the core mechanics should not be altered.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,169 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

I definitely don't think they'll finish areas.

It'll be more of a spit-shine, if anything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

I wouldn't play a remastered version to be honest. I would play a directors cut version with some new content or a change of content and maybe a better NG+

**** Dark Souls though, I would play a shiny new Demon Souls no problem with the same content as the PS3 version

After posting this I remember I don't have a PlayStation anymore and Demons is a Sony IP. Only Bloodborne 2 would push me to get a PS again.

Advertisement