Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dark Souls

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Big Knox

Kiith wrote: »
    Bah! I got my strength to 36 last night, rather than improving my Vit/End. Pretty stupid mechanics tbh. Hope they fix it.

Yep lets hope so mate, be carefull not to increase END past 40 as that's the stamina cap.

You're in the same boat as I am now, to justify the points already spent in STR I have to continue levelling it and get it to 50 so I can use the biggest strength weapons and at least start to out damage the lightning weapons.

They are extremely slow but can be good fun, breaking guards and sending people flying!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

I leveled str to 32 for the Black Knight Halberd. Doing over 300 attack with it. The crystal Halberd does even more. Big numbers when you start to combo some hits.

However the Lightning spear is better. It does less damage per hit but because its so, so quick.....your Damage Per Second is more than the slower, heavy hitting weapons.

Level 60 or so now. Have 20 vit, 28 End, 32 str, 18 dex, 14 faith. Finding a good use for my bow and also some pyromancy fire spell that I bought for the guys weak to fire. I feel very well rounded now and have good gear. So many rings to choose from. That dragon ring that gives you better drop% is pretty cool.

Cleared Blightown, killed Quelagg the spider first time out. I really should've been down there earlier. Rang second bell.

Went on and killed the Giant lava monster with the weird name. While Ceaseless Discharge makes sense in a mechanical way.....it reeks of bad translation. :p He killed me a few times before I figured it out. If you engage him at the L shaped corridor you can dodge his attacks and finish him without taking any damage.

Sen fortress next. Killed the Iron Golem on the third shot but died quite a few more times randomly falling on the way up to him. Killed the golems that threw the rocks from range with my composite bow +5. Good damge even with wooden arrows if you get a headshot. Question, how do you get to the bottom without taking fall damage? And are you missing any good loot? And is there a Bonfire anywhere in here? Couldn't find one and every time I died i ended back at the blacksmith fire. Annoying.

Moved on to Anor Londo. Thats where I am now. Just died on those two Archer Knights after some weird red yoke spawned on the ledges and I fell off. There was no invasion messages at all but he glowed golden red like the others did. Weird. Took a break after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Kirby wrote: »
    Sen fortress next. Killed the Iron Golem on the third shot but died quite a few more times randomly falling on the way up to him. Killed the golems that threw the rocks from range with my composite bow +5. Good damge even with wooden arrows if you get a headshot. Question, how do you get to the bottom without taking fall damage? And are you missing any good loot? And is there a Bonfire anywhere in here? Couldn't find one and every time I died i ended back at the blacksmith fire. Annoying.

Moved on to Anor Londo. Thats where I am now. Just died on those two Archer Knights after some weird red yoke spawned on the ledges and I fell off. There was no invasion messages at all but he glowed golden red like the others did. Weird. Took a break after that.

There is a bonfire in Sen's after you emerge onto the rooftop area. If your looking from the entrance to Anor londo, its on the right hand wall. Where you had to dodge the first of the firebombs the giant was throwing, there should be a broken wall and a small ledge with the bonfire. it leads out onto the last staircase you went up befor emerging outside. there is also a shortcut I missed up there, 2 cages inside one of the buildings that let you ride down to the first column with swinging axes.

Sounds like you got uncracked Red Orb invaded (ewww), it lets you invade another players game but doesnt inform them. Yeah, its cheap :pac:

Well, atleast he got killed. I attacked him and he fell off.....but my guy did another "fresh air" attack and followed him off the edge. Dope :p

Who and Where is the NPC you hand the Boss souls in to? I'm guessing I should be near him by now....

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,172 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Who and Where is the NPC you hand the Boss souls in to? I'm guessing I should be near him by now....

Theres a big blacksmith before the boss in Anor Londo. You probably can't miss him, as you can open a pretty good shortcut near where he is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

Those archer knights in Anor Londo caused me to rage quit. Gonna play some other games for while :p.

I really want to get into these covenants and PvPing soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

So I just beat the first boss in The Undead Burg. I've been stuck on him for a week or 6hrs 24mins of game time.

Is that slow progress or par for the course?

It depends if you have been consciously grinding or not. Ya know, killing 10 or 12 enemies near a bonfire and then running back with the souls to level up....and then repeating. What level are you?

If you haven't been doing that and just dying alot I'd wager 6 hours for just Taurus is slower than average. You kind of have to figure out the gimmick of the fight. If you fight every boss straight-up you will die alot. The third time Taurus killed me, I noticed it was easier to just climb the ladder and drop on him for 1/3 of his life. Run and lure him away, then climb up and do it again. You don't actually have to fight him conventially at all. If you do that he's easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

It depends if you have been consciously grinding or not. Ya know, killing 10 or 12 enemies near a bonfire and then running back with the souls to level up....and then repeating. What level are you?

If you haven't been doing that and just dying alot I'd wager 6 hours for just Taurus is slower than average. You kind of have to figure out the gimmick of the fight. If you fight every boss straight-up you will die alot. The third time Taurus killed me, I noticed it was easier to just climb the ladder and drop on him for 1/3 of his life. Run and lure him away, then climb up and do it again. You don't actually have to fight him conventially at all. If you do that he's easy.

Can't remember what level. I spent a lot of my souls buying a repair box early on. Then I ended up losing plenty more as I went exploring. After a few hours I decided to change tact and be more patient. Started grinding out souls from the 10 or so enemies near the bonfire.

Once I bought a spear I found combat much easier and then a bad guy dropped a massive axe. It was with the axe I finally took down Taurus, with a few plunging attacks. Ran straight back to the bonfire afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

That weird red yoke is called a Vagrant. If someone drops an item in their game it can manifest itself into yours as a Vagrant and drop some nice stuff when you kill it. Apparently the more powerful the item and the longer it is on the ground the stronger the Vagrant becomes and the better its loot. I wish a Vagrant would spawn in my world :(

• Advertisement

Forgot to mention I had my first true pvp experience today.

I put down a summon sign near the butterfly boss because I had only had people assist me.....I hadn't helped anybody yet.

So this guy summons me. We exchange pleasantries and some gestures and then we head thought the forest towards the boss. Low and behold he gets invaded. The invader takes one look at the pair of us and flees like the good old cheese eating surrender monkey that he is. The pair of us chase the sucker through the woods for about a minute before we finally corner him and kill him. That part felt good :p

Oddly enough the lad then decided he didn't need my help after all and de-summoned me. That part felt bad :p

Big Knox wrote: »
    Yep lets hope so mate, be carefull not to increase END past 40 as that's the stamina cap.

You're in the same boat as I am now, to justify the points already spent in STR I have to continue levelling it and get it to 50 so I can use the biggest strength weapons and at least start to out damage the lightning weapons.

They are extremely slow but can be good fun, breaking guards and sending people flying!!

Just up to Blighttown in NG+ and my STR build is holding up. 4 Shotted the Gargoyle with Black Knight sword +5. Sure i could be doing more DMG with Lightning weapons and dump my stats into other atributes but at this stage i simply dont care. Im just gonna continue and hope FromSoft patch it. I had planned on making another char anyway so im not gonna "start over" will play both chars equally.

NG+ aint all that hard, when you know whats around each corner it really takes the edge off the game. Sure its cool to be able to play NG+ but its nowhere near as exciting as a fresh run :mad:. They could have maybe moved where enemy placement is or put some strong enemys in places they shouldnt be, or have phantom type versions of enemys in some places.

Mobs DO hit very hard though. Im wearing full Black Iron Armour +3 and the Hollow Sword and Shield guy took off about 70% of my health in a running stab attack, but i do have very low VIT (18)

I would've hoped that they would hold back some special mobs for new game+ just to make things interesting. Doesn't sound like they have. Shame really.

18 vitality seems very low for a melee character. I suppose if you have high endurance though, you don't get hit too often so It won't matter as much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

Only major bosses i killed are the gargoyle and the capra demon.

Nearly 14 hours in and stuck in limbo..

Cant go down to new londo ruin ( i think its called cause the ghost are messing me up and finding the item to combat ghost isnt cheap.

Im level 23

So all im doing is going back and fourth to snuggy the crow to trade stuff

And also being cursed is ****in horrible :(

Only major bosses i killed are the gargoyle and the capra demon.

Nearly 14 hours in and stuck in limbo..

Cant go down to new londo ruin ( i think its called cause the ghost are messing me up and finding the item to combat ghost isnt cheap.

Im level 23

So all im doing is going back and fourth to snuggy the crow to trade stuff

And also being cursed is ****in horrible :(

After the Capra Demon the next area for your level is the Depths/Darkroot. Darkroot can be got to from the Blacksmith just keep heading downwards. Skip the big black stone demon if you find him to hard, the mobs on the otherside arnt as hard.

Around the corner from where you fight the Capra there is a door way (with two assassins before it) that opens with the key from Capra. This is the way to the Depths and further on is Blighttown.

Fast way to trade with the bird is to drop the item, then quit your game and thn reload it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

After the Capra Demon the next area for your level is the Depths/Darkroot. Darkroot can be got to from the Blacksmith just keep heading downwards. Skip the big black stone demon if you find him to hard, the mobs on the otherside arnt as hard.

Around the corner from where you fight the Capra there is a door way (with two assassins before it) that opens with the key from Capra. This is the way to the Depths and further on is Blighttown.

Fast way to trade with the bird is to drop the item, then quit your game and thn reload it...

Yeah thanks i just came out of the woods , ran passed everything to the butterfly and died , that big armoured dude downstairs in the main hall where you fight the first boss disappeared and never seen again , was pretty weird.
    Also i killed one of the pyromacers by accident that was stuck in the barrel , i tried to free him by swinging the sword than barrel rolling to set him free

Lets just say ...R.I.P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭moonboy52

I feel like getting sick!!

SL 23, was doing well and i was fighting Havel the rock.

I got him down to the tiniest bit of his health remaining, got excited went for the kill and he killed me.

Went back again and you know what, he is not there any more.

I am a knight and badly wanted his ring. I have to start over gain i feel :mad:

moonboy52 wrote: »
    I feel like getting sick!!

SL 23, was doing well and i was fighting Havel the rock.

I got him down to the tiniest bit of his health remaining, got excited went for the kill and he killed me.

Went back again and you know what, he is not there any more.

I am a knight and badly wanted his ring. I have to start over gain i feel :mad:

Im a Knight also and as cool as his ring is i have never used it. Unless you want to be able to have heavy armour and a faster roll then yeah. Maybe get it in NG+?

I wonder if equiping two Havel Rings stack!?

On another topic, has anyone joined the Forest Hunters and actually invaded another person in the Forest? Have the ring on for about 1 hour now and i got nothing, nada. A Darkmoon Blade sucks also, cant invade anyone with the Blue Eye stone. Damnit

• Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭moonboy52

Im a Knight also and as cool as his ring is i have never used it. Unless you want to be able to have heavy armour and a faster roll then yeah. Maybe get it in NG+?

I felt like i was missing out.

Now that i have calmed down i will keep going onwards :P

Just up to Blighttown in NG+ and my STR build is holding up. 4 Shotted the Gargoyle with Black Knight sword +5. Sure i could be doing more DMG with Lightning weapons and dump my stats into other atributes but at this stage i simply dont care. Im just gonna continue and hope FromSoft patch it. I had planned on making another char anyway so im not gonna "start over" will play both chars equally.

What are your stats like?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭Gandalph

What are your current stats and what areas of the game have you cleared so far?? I'll try recommend a weapon for you!!

Im level 32 Knight

Vit 18
    Att 10
    End 18
    Str 21
    Dex 12
    Res 14

Im currently in Darkwood forest I think is the name of it, I was flying through until my crytsal sword broke and now its a bit of a problem because Im rolling with a pretty bad broadsword +3 haha. I havnt ventured into Blighttown yet. I couldnt get the drake sword because I killed the merchant who sells the bow (some guy left a note saying to do so and i fell for it!). Would really appreciate a good weapon at the moment, I have the tail of the gargoyle axe but dont use it because I cant.

And anyone know how to know how to check what stats you need for a weapon?

I wonder if equiping two Havel Rings stack!?

On another topic, has anyone joined the Forest Hunters and actually invaded another person in the Forest? Have the ring on for about 1 hour now and i got nothing, nada. A Darkmoon Blade sucks also, cant invade anyone with the Blue Eye stone. Damnit

Just to give an alternative opinion, havels ring was my most worn ring apart from the ring of favor and protection. I absolutely love being able to stay under 25% equip burden as I dodge attacks more then I block them. Actually its about 50/50 but never under estimate the ability to get out of a fight quickly!! :p

The gold hemmed black robes and havels ring should leave you under 25% and it works wonders!! But again its all down to play style!!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,388 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Finally started this tonight.

Currently getting the Joan Collins Special from Tauras Demon.

I have just realised I can climb the ladder and kill those crossbowers tho but then I got cocky and stayed up on the tower and he just leapt off and knocked me off.

Used 2 black firebombs in the last attempt which is annoying as they did 181 damage each and now they are gone.

I have an axe, croxxbow, morning star mace, crap sword and this massive huge i-something sword I haven't the stats to use.

Must be timing my rolls wrong when he swings at me (you are still invincible when rolling right?)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭Gandalph

noodler wrote: »

Must be timing my rolls wrong when he swings at me (you are still invincible when rolling right?)

I think I noticed this.

As for Tauros, he done killed himself against me! Jumped right off the edge, no drops for me then :(

No more invincible rolls, but timing them right will avoid most attacks.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,388 ✭✭✭✭noodler

No more invincible rolls, but timing them right will avoid most attacks.

Will try again tomorrow, last thing I want to do is continue on when I am this tired.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Pick up about 20 firebombs from the merchant near the second bonfire, just target and throw. He usually walks / runs into them in mid air.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,300 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

On another topic, has anyone joined the Forest Hunters and actually invaded another person in the Forest? Have the ring on for about 1 hour now and i got nothing, nada.

I did, put it on as soon as I got it - was summoned to another world ~ 10 times. Won 3 times(alone and with other summoned) and was battered 7 times.
    Fairly regularly too.
    Got fed up as it was distracting me and took ring off.

What are your stats like?

SL 82
    VIT 19
    ATT 12
    END 35
    STR 40
    DEX 18
    RES 10
    INT 9
    FAI 20
    Just to give an alternative opinion, havels ring was my most worn ring apart from the ring of favor and protection. I absolutely love being able to stay under 25% equip burden as I dodge attacks more then I block them. Actually its about 50/50 but never under estimate the ability to get out of a fight quickly!! :p

The gold hemmed black robes and havels ring should leave you under 25% and it works wonders!! But again its all down to play style!!

Different play style indeed! I havent used the Ring of Favor (have 2 atm) nor Havels :D But i have been putting on the heaviest, highest poise, highest def armour i could and still be able to equip my Black Knight sword and Eagle Greatshield. Also switching my shield up if i needed to parry or what have you. Would only roll in dire situations or if i knew that an attack would drain my entire stamina gauge on block. Pretty much playing the game as an Immovable object. Rings i used most, and still have on are the Poise Ring (Wolf Ring) and the Defense Ring.

I did use the Gold Hemmed Robes if i was just running straight through to a boss after a death and on Seath as i couldnt keep up with his left leg and still have the stamina to attack in heavy armour.
    noodler wrote: »
    Will try again tomorrow, last thing I want to do is continue on when I am this tired.

Run straight at him and stay under his legs at his crotch and he wont be able to attack you with anything. Then attack after he tries to hit you.
    Gandalph wrote: »
    I think I noticed this.

As for Tauros, he done killed himself against me! Jumped right off the edge, no drops for me then :(

All he drops is his axe. Its pretty crappy with very high STR Req (About 40)

• Advertisement

SL 82
    VIT 19
    ATT 12
    END 35
    STR 40
    DEX 18
    RES 10
    INT 9
    FAI 20

Different play style indeed! I havent used the Ring of Favor (have 2 atm) nor Havels :D But i have been putting on the heaviest, highest poise, highest def armour i could and still be able to equip my Black Knight sword and Eagle Greatshield. Also switching my shield up if i needed to parry or what have you. Would only roll in dire situations or if i knew that an attack would drain my entire stamina gauge on block. Pretty much playing the game as an Immovable object. Rings i used most, and still have on are the Poise Ring (Wolf Ring) and the Defense Ring.

Ahhh very intresting I was wondering how viable a pure turtle high poise build would work and obviously very well!!

I have very high VIT + END and use the Eagle Shield maxed out so I can block pretty much any attack I need too but with my <25% equip weight I have extremely fast movement also so its the best of both worlds. The obvious advantage to high poise is I need to wait for and create openings to attack where you just smash there face in while getting hit I love it. Definitely gonna try it out for NG+ to mix it up a bit!! :D

Advertisement