Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dark Souls

Options

Comments

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,262 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

It's already on Xbox One through backwards compatibility. Would need to be a genuine remaster and not just a port for me to consider getting it I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

Mickeroo wrote: »
    It's already on Xbox One through backwards compatibility. Would need to be a genuine remaster and not just a port for me to consider getting it I think.

Is it still 30fps on the Xbox One?
    I'd 100% get it for the PS4 if it was 60fps like Dark Souls 2 SofFS edition.
    I'd also get it on the Switch just so I could play it at work :o

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Is it still 30fps on the Xbox One?
    I'd 100% get it for the PS4 if it was 60fps like Dark Souls 2 SofFS edition.
    I'd also get it on the Switch just so I could play it at work :o

30 for the most part, still drops like a stone in the usual spots.
    I must check it on the one x, but I doubt there will be any meaningful difference

• Registered Users Posts: 15,359 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

They'd seriously need to fix the 30FPS and disastrous frame drops in Blighttown before i'd even consider it.

That being said 10/10 would still play again. I'm running the DS3 DLC at the mo so any new souls game would be amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭beans

I just watched a 1 hour 18 minutes all-bosses speed-run of DS1 for motivation.

Holy hell, that's something to watch!

I'm going to try the red tear-stone approach to beating O&S later :)

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Doctor Nick

I started a new character last week doing a dex build compared to my tank last time. Previously missed a lot of optional areas, Great Hollow, Ash Lake, Painted World, Dark Anor Londo and Kalameet. Anyway Im finding Kalameet cheap. I was one hit away from finishing it and had a full health bar when he flew up into the air breathing fire which wiped out my entire health bar. Absolutely no way to dodge this. Completely unavoidable. Switched off in disgust. The first time I've really considered a boss unfair in a From Soft game.

I think I much prefer the Dex build to the tank. I'm surprised the game is still active online. Early in the game I was invaded in the burg by some dude wearing Smough gear, downing Elizabeth mushrooms. He did one move and I was dead. It was a pyromancy. Not sure what was just like he breathed. Annoyed me so figured out you could check PSN IDs. Known hacker. Lot of videos about him. Invaded earlier by a dude in Oolacile. This was a lot more fair. I actually enjoyed it even if I still died. Not sure if I'll ever be able for PVP.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Most PvP builds are built for PvP, yours is built for PvE so will be weaker from the start.

With a bit of practice you'd definitely be able to reach pace, the PvP is a lot of fun in these games.

You can avoid Kalameets fire by
    running behind the waterfall iirc, where you find the slab

Most PvP builds are built for PvP, yours is built for PvE so will be weaker from the start.

With a bit of practice you'd definitely be able to reach pace, the PvP is a lot of fun in these games.

You can avoid Kalameets fire by
    running behind the waterfall iirc, where you find the slab

Got him in the end, amazing what a break does after lots of frustration. On to Manus next, I should probably switch off till tomorrow or I'll be up all night.

Completed my dex build including Crossbreed Prisicilla and Gwyndolin or whatever his/her name is in Dark Anor Londo. Was also chuffed to save Sigmeyer
    in Lost Izalith (sad end to his storyline in Ash Lake)
    and get the fire keeper soul from
    Lautrec.
    Highlight of this play through was
    knocking the Iron Golem off the roof in Sens Fortress
    which I didn't even know was possible. Also learned to parry properly which is so satisfying. Doesn't seem to transfer across to 3 though.

• Advertisement

Slightly different party timing between the 5 games, Bloodborne and DkS are quite similar, DkS2 is a little earlier in the animation and DkS3 is a little later, don't know how to parry in Demons so can't speak there.

Slightly different party timing between the 5 games, Bloodborne and DkS are quite similar, DkS2 is a little earlier in the animation and DkS3 is a little later, don't know how to parry in Demons so can't speak there.

I'm OK parrying in Bloodborne. Demons is actually the easiest of them all I thought. In DS2 I could parry but was never able to riposte oddly enough, whenever I tried it I just did a normal R1 swing. With 3 I was able to parry Iudex Gundier about 25% of the time the other night. I kept getting killed so I could practise but couldn't do it consistently which is weird. Same with the hollows outside the Boss arena. Frustrating, can't figure out what I'm doing differently between the successes and failures.

In two you riposte same as a visceral in BB, small delay before attacking iirc

I can't parry very well in 3 so I can't advise too much, I'm pretty sure it's slightly later in the animation that BB or DkS though

• Registered Users Posts: 26,388 ✭✭✭✭noodler

BB is a piece of piss to parry in.

Could never do it in others.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

I always felt DS1 was the easiest to parry in...maybe because it's the only one where I got so much practice.
    I must have spent hours getting parrying down against the Sivler Knights in Anor Londo (and the invading knights ...which ruined some of my attempts to get to O&S). They became my favourite enemy.....I was delighted when they showed up in DS3.
    I actually managed to parry Gywn to death.
    Later on another run after completing DS2, DS3 I jumped to a save and did NG++  and tried to parry Gwyn again......not a hope. The save file is still sitting there with me at the final run to Gywn.

SeantheMan wrote: »
    I always felt DS1 was the easiest to parry in...maybe because it's the only one where I got so much practice.
    I must have spent hours getting parrying down against the Sivler Knights in Anor Londo (and the invading knights ...which ruined some of my attempts to get to O&S). They became my favourite enemy.....I was delighted when they showed up in DS3.
    I actually managed to parry Gywn to death.
    Later on another run after completing DS2, DS3 I jumped to a save and did NG++  and tried to parry Gwyn again......not a hope. The save file is still sitting there with me at the final run to Gywn.

I parried Gwyn to death both times I finished the game. How did you find parrying in the later games Sean? I think parrying was easiest in Demons Souls, then Bloodborne then DS1.

Also, lads, what ending did yis prefer? I personally thought the
    Dark Lord
    ending was the more satisfying one.

Agree there, fcuk Gwyn and his bull**** prophecy, I do what I please

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

I parried Gwyn to death both times I finished the game. How did you find parrying in the later games Sean? I think parrying was easiest in Demons Souls, then Bloodborne then DS1.

Also, lads, what ending did yis prefer? I personally thought the
    Dark Lord
    ending was the more satisfying one.

Didn't really do it much as it was a much faster game in 3 which allowed for moving behind them etc, and such a variety of bosses I didn't wanna learn to parry....it was much easier to block with shield...let them bounce off it...then hit them.
    I learned to parry in DS1 out of necessity, I didn't parry at all...up until Anor Londo when I met them Knights and spent hours rerunning the place and farming souls.

In DS2 I went with that 2 Greatsword build and just smashed through everything, so there was no parrying.

Still never went back to BloodBorne.....parrying...well...shooting them in the face...seemed much easier than trying to parry with a shield.

I still watch the old DS vids from time to time.
    VaatiVidya is far away the best for Lore
    and of course The Dumb****s Guide to DarkSouls for the LOLs...still the best DS vids out there imo :D

I'm pretty frustrated. Jumped down into the monster-pit to help our friend in Lost Izilith, we bested the chaos eaters together and he didn't take so much as a hit... and then he keeled over dead, presumably from poison?

Is there a trick to keeping him alive, should you just bone-out as soon as they're all dead?

Presumably the best end to his character is just to let him fight on his own. He was very grumpy that I'd seen it necessary to lend a hand at all.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,364 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Check out the video Vaati Vidya did on the lore of that character. He feels useless as you've been solving his problems all along. It's actually quite a heartbreaking little side tale that is very easy to miss.

• Advertisement

beans wrote: »
    I'm pretty frustrated. Jumped down into the monster-pit to help our friend in Lost Izilith, we bested the chaos eaters together and he didn't take so much as a hit... and then he keeled over dead, presumably from poison?

Is there a trick to keeping him alive, should you just bone-out as soon as they're all dead?

Presumably the best end to his character is just to let him fight on his own. He was very grumpy that I'd seen it necessary to lend a hand at all.

Last play I saved him. When the floor broke I killed all but one of the chaos things then let him take on the last one himself. He survived that encounter.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,388 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Check out the video Vaati Vidya did on the lore of that character. He feels useless as you've been solving his problems all along. It's actually quite a heartbreaking little side tale that is very easy to miss.

Who is the NPC again?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,262 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

noodler wrote: »
    Who is the NPC again?

Solaire ain't it?

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Solaire ain't it?

Solaire ends up down by the chaos bugs near the shortcut, it's Siegmeyer who is gung-ho about jumping into the monster-pit.

beans wrote: »
    Solaire ends up down by the chaos bugs near the shortcut, it's Siegmeyer who is gung-ho about jumping into the monster-pit.

Ah yes I remember the bit now. I'm sure I saved him on one play through but I can't remember how I went about it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,364 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I think you let him jump in and finish them off himself. His daughter then comes looking for him.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I think you let him jump in and finish them off himself. His daughter then comes looking for him.

Any guide I read said he normally dies on that encounter either from the chaos things or poison. They all recommended the strat to kill all but one before you talk to him if you want him to survive.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

Another rumor today about a Dark Souls remaster.
    This could potentially be out in May this year.
    Would be sweet if this had extra gfx effects, and not just 60FPS. Some mods for the PC version really add a lot to the look of the game.

https://www.reddit.com/r/darksouls/comments/7ple1m/rumor_dark_souls_remastered_for_ps4_24_may_2018/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Looks like this is definitly happening, Switch first with other platforms to follow.

Nintendo Switch is getting Dark Souls Remastered

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,172 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Dark Souls Remastered announced for the Switch.

Advertisement