Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dark Souls

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,359 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Another rumor today about a Dark Souls remaster.
    This could potentially be out in May this year.
    Would be sweet if this had extra gfx effects, and not just 60FPS. Some mods for the PC version really add a lot to the look of the game.

https://www.reddit.com/r/darksouls/comments/7ple1m/rumor_dark_souls_remastered_for_ps4_24_may_2018/

Announced for the Switch:

https://kotaku.com/dark-souls-remastered-announced-coming-to-the-switch-1821983023

No announcement for any other console yet tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭beans

That article does say it'll be coming to the other formats, toward the end.

It'll be interesting to see what they end up with!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

Nice one. The trailer has the other consoles shown.
    Think i'll just throw money at the situation and buy it for the PS4 and Switch :D

Not much in it, but still..... HYPE!

6 players can join together in jolly co-op which is class.
    \[T]/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Details on the PS4 version here.

Rendering and performance changes hint at the game being rebuilt in the DS3 engine but if not, that's some heavy work done. What's most interesting, however, is the mention of dedicated servers which will hopefully feature in the PC version too.

gizmo wrote: »
    Details on the PS4 version here.

Rendering and performance changes hint at the game being rebuilt in the DS3 engine but if not, that's some heavy work done. What's most interesting, however, is the mention of dedicated servers which will hopefully feature in the PC version too.

The DS3 engine doesn't do 60FPS in the current consoles though. I'd guess it's a heavily tweaked form of the original engine.

The DS3 engine doesn't do 60FPS in the current consoles though. I'd guess it's a heavily tweaked form of the original engine.
    Quite true. It does, however, do it on the PC version out of the box without the need for DSFix as with the original which introduced its own set of issues.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,262 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I presume it was eventually fixed but I seem to remember when DS2 was at 60fps on PC it caused weapons in the game to break way quicker than they were supposed to or something. Hilarious stuff!

gizmo wrote: »
    Quite true. It does, however, do it on the PC version out of the box without the need for DSFix as with the original which introduced its own set of issues.

Ya good point but I don't see how they can squeeze 60fps out of the PS4 Phat when DS3 & Bloodborne can barely manage 30fps without frame pacing issues.
    Far easier for From Software to just tweak the original to enable 60fps in most platforms.
    It also means that the Switch version will use the same engine as there is no way in hell that can run the DS3 engine at anything near 30fps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

I wonder what do they mean by 'Remastered', its one thing to fix blightown, but lost Izalith and crystal caves arent exactly awe inspiring either.

I'm definitely up for it - depending on price. and I'd be hopeful that they'll include the DLC also. Icing on the cake would allow you to import your previous character but thats pretty unlikely.

I wonder what do they mean by 'Remastered', its one thing to fix blightown, but lost Izalith and crystal caves arent exactly awe inspiring either.

I'm definitely up for it - depending on price. and I'd be hopeful that they'll include the DLC also. Icing on the cake would allow you to import your previous character but thats pretty unlikely.

They need to fix B-town, but judging on how nasty DS3 engine ran in the likes of Lothric castle i'm not holding much hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,169 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

I'm guessing €40.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,830 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I thought it was Demons Souls Remaster at first but I'd happily play through an updated Dark Souls!

Blightown at 60fps? *Ron Burgandy I don't believe you gif*

https://www.polygon.com/2018/1/11/16746620/dark-souls-remaster-pc-ps4-xbox-one-trailer-date
    • Xbox One (1080p, 60 fps)
    • PlayStation 4 (1080p, 60 fps)
    • Xbox One X (Upscaled 4K, 60 fps)
    • PlayStation 4 Pro (Upscaled 4K, 60 fps)
    • PC (Native 4K, all textures 2K unconverted, 60 fps)
    • Nintendo Switch (TV mode: 1080p, 30 fps; Handheld mode: 720p 30 fps)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Vicxas wrote: »
    They need to fix B-town, but judging on how nasty DS3 engine ran in the likes of Lothric castle i'm not holding much hope.

Is it confirmed that they're using the DS3 engine? granted 3 has a lot more graphical flourishes than the earlier games, but it ran like a dog on the standard xbox, and I didnt notice much of an improvement on the X. May isnt very far away so we're bound to get more details soon, but as it stands, I have mre questions than answers.

A Dark Souls Trilogy Bundle will be released. Japan only though.
    Inclused the new remastered version of DS1, Scholar of the First Sin edition of DS2 & DS3 (vanilla maybe).

All for $440. Jesus!

http://www.pushsquare.com/news/2018/01/dark_souls_trilogy_coming_exclusively_to_ps4_this_summer_in_japan

Is it confirmed that they're using the DS3 engine? granted 3 has a lot more graphical flourishes than the earlier games, but it ran like a dog on the standard xbox, and I didnt notice much of an improvement on the X. May isnt very far away so we're bound to get more details soon, but as it stands, I have mre questions than answers.

It makes sense to use the DS3/Bloodborne engine, unless they use a brand new engine for it?

If they have a new Engine it stands to reason its a good indicator of a new Souls like game in the works.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,074 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,597 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

To play it on the go, I'm going for the Switch version.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,830 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I never played Artorias DLC so really looking forward to that.

From fextralife.

The remake runs at 1080p on the PS4 and Xbox One with 60 FPS.

Clarifying since people get ahead of themselves: We are not confirming different mechanics (besides 6 players) or specifics on the game itself. This is a “remake” of the game using Dark Souls 3’s engine base.

Expect Combat differences accordingly – Lightning, SFX and textures are rebuilt based on Dark Sousl 3.

The Official website reads: “We are keeping the game design with its overwhelming sense of accomplishment and maintaining game balance, whilst making adjustments for current generation machines such as graphic optimization and online multiplayer expansion“

Native 4k resolution on PC
    Remaster renders upscaled 4K on the PS4 Pro and Xbox One while the PC version will feature resolution upto native 4K.

The remaster will feature up to 6 player online, like Dark Souls 3.
    The multiplayer now has dedicated game servers rather than p2p

The remaster includes the DLC Artorias of the Abyss

• Advertisement

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    I never played Artorias DLC so really looking forward to that.
    You're in for a treat then, the fight with the DLC's namesake is probably one of the best, if not the best, in the entire series imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Inclused the new remastered version of DS1, Scholar of the First Sin edition of DS2 & DS3 (vanilla maybe).

All for $440. Jesus!

http://www.pushsquare.com/news/2018/01/dark_souls_trilogy_coming_exclusively_to_ps4_this_summer_in_japan

I usually laugh and go "No way wtf" when i see a price tag like that on a game, regardless of whats bundled with it, but that looks mighty tempting, i could see myself splashing out on that if it were released over here :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 26,388 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Yes one remaster I will buy and play.

Yes.

Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭DarC_Kn1ght

This isnt the teaser we got a few weeks ago right?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

More money to throw at FromSoft!

I'll definitely be picking up the Switch version, 30fps is disappointing but understandable if it's a newer engine.

I'll probably get the PC version too tbf, I've already bought it 4 times what's another 2 purchases.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    I presume it was eventually fixed but I seem to remember when DS2 was at 60fps on PC it caused weapons in the game to break way quicker than they were supposed to or something. Hilarious stuff!

Yep, durability was hardcoded to how many frames a weapon spend inside of an object, so everything was balanced for 30, 60fps meant everything spent twice as many frames inside objects, so degraded twice as fast.

It was fixed within a few weeks iirc.

They claim the DS port was their first PC foray, and was a pretty poor port. DS2 was miles better, being hardcoded for 30 was the only major misstep iirc. I found DS3 pretty solid on PC so imagine the remaster should be quality too.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,364 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

All for $440. Jesus!

I pretty much paid 450 euros for Bloodborne since the PS4 is useless for anything else. What's another 450?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

As a PC player i am disappoint. I wouldn't see any reason to rebuy unless you really want to play it in 4k. If you're confined to console play then i suppose buying again would be worth it for the 60FPS and cleaner visuals if its about €30. Would have much preferred a Demons Souls remaster but seems From took the easy/free money route

If there are gameplay changes and a better NG+ experience then i take everything i said back, ill buy :D

As a PC player i am disappoint. I wouldn't see any reason to rebuy unless you really want to play it in 4k. If you're confined to console play then i suppose buying again would be worth it for the 60FPS and cleaner visuals if its about €30. Would have much preferred a Demons Souls remaster but seems From took the easy/free money route

If there are gameplay changes and a better NG+ experience then i take everything i said back, ill buy :D

As a PC player you'd still be disappointed, if Demons Souls is remastered it'll be on PS4 and nowhere else

• Advertisement

As a PC player you'd still be disappointed, if Demons Souls is remastered it'll be on PS4 and nowhere else

Always figured thats why Dark Souls wasn't called Demons Souls 2

Advertisement