Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dark Souls

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Doctor Nick

For PC players I think its a bit crap but for console I can see it selling well. 60FPS is a big seller and of course the opportunity to have all the Souls games on one platform. Then of course, people who only played the later games on the new consoles. I'm looking forward to it. Will be good to attempt some PVP without meeting twinks or hackers in the early days.

Regards the game, have any of you ever cone across a Vagrant? I did once, just started a game on the PS3 P2D having previously only played on 360 but only getting as far as the Depths. In the Undead Church where you find the first fire keeper soul I cleared out all the balder knights. Suddenly start taking damage and see this tiny little opaque thing shooting things at me. Just thought it was some weird new enemy on the P2D edit. Killed it. Never saw it again. Googled it when it never showed up again and realised I'd seen something very rare in DS1.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

For PC players I think its a bit crap but for console I can see it selling well. 60FPS is a big seller and of course the opportunity to have all the Souls games on one platform. Then of course, people who only played the later games on the new consoles. I'm looking forward to it. Will be good to attempt some PVP without meeting twinks or hackers in the early days.

For PC though we got DSFix, which pretty much cleaned up the game and had it running similar to what this remaster looks like.

I think it's more likely to be pirated on PC, but sell on console to the new generations who came along at PS4 / Xbox One and never had the chance to play DS1

• Registered Users Posts: 15,359 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Some of those textures still look a bit naff

Vicxas wrote: »
    Some of those textures still look a bit naff

Yeah think some parts look a bit weird. Blighttown particularly seems very red.

Totally get why PC players especially won't be interested in getting this even though I heard DSFix introduces problems of its own they are obviously not game breaking.

• Advertisement

I'm debating on PS4 or Switch...
    Just...bringing it on the go...letting people attempt the bosses (but they'll throw the switch against a wall in frustration surely)...

For me personally though, most of these 'remasters' never make a graphical difference. I can't really notice the increase in graphics in even the most obvious cases.
    I'm as happy playing DS3/Doom/Deus Ex on my 24inch PC monitor as I am on a 4k TV. I don't notice the huge leaps in graphics.
    For me it has to be something standout like Crash Bandicoot....basically a complete REWORK/REMAKE to notice a big difference.

People are complaining about the textures and this and that and the other. But I don't think we are the target audience. We've all played DarkSouls. If they get us...all well and good. But there are millions who only jumped onto the Souls series with Dark Souls 2...or Nintendo boys who've never even played any of them.

I'm just happy the series is gettin more well known and the good word is spreading.

Praise the sun !

• Registered Users Posts: 28,074 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

SeantheMan wrote: »
    I'm debating on PS4 or Switch...
    Just...bringing it on the go...letting people attempt the bosses (but they'll throw the switch against a wall in frustration surely)...

For me personally though, most of these 'remasters' never make a graphical difference. I can't really notice the increase in graphics in even the most obvious cases.
    I'm as happy playing DS3/Doom/Deus Ex on my 24inch PC monitor as I am on a 4k TV. I don't notice the huge leaps in graphics.
    For me it has to be something standout like Crash Bandicoot....basically a complete REWORK/REMAKE to notice a big difference.

People are complaining about the textures and this and that and the other. But I don't think we are the target audience. We've all played DarkSouls. If they get us...all well and good. But there are millions who only jumped onto the Souls series with Dark Souls 2...or Nintendo boys who've never even played any of them.

I'm just happy the series is gettin more well known and the good word is spreading.

Praise the sun !

Did I read that Switch is 30FPS but Xbox and PS4 are 60FPS?

I'm buying on Switch and will pick it up on X in a few weeks when it's down to €20.

I've only played past the Gargoyle in DS so it'll be my first proper time playing it.

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Did I read that Switch is 30FPS but Xbox and PS4 are 60FPS?

I'm buying on Switch and will pick it up on X in a few weeks when it's down to €20.

I've only played past the Gargoyle in DS so it'll be my first proper time playing it.

Well if you have a decent PC it works well on it these days, just need DSFix.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

you know, the more I see of this remaster, the more I'm inclined to think that I'll pass on it. I still love the Original Dark souls, and I've very fond memories of the time I spent struggling through it, but I don't know what this really has to offer me beyond the moderate graphical overhaul. I think the cool stories I have in my head, like the time I finally got past the Anor Londo Archers, or beat that b*stard capra demon are strong enough that I don't really feel the need to rebuy this.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,074 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I don't have a gaming PC and no plans on getting one anytime soon.

• Advertisement

Did they ever fix the 60FPS thing on that? Last time i tried it used to crash the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭beans

Did they ever fix the 60FPS thing on that? Last time i tried it used to crash the game.

Seems to work fine for me @ 60FPS

Only odd thing about my experience is when you get to some of the boss intros (Seath, Nito for sure), everything goes to hell. Frozen frames or something.

I think mine was fine. I only completed it again last week or so.
    If I have it installed I'll boot it up and check

Edit: Just booted up DS. Runnin at 60fps np, looking very pretty in my Ornstein armor. STEAM Screenshot doesn't seem to add in the Steam FPS overlay. But it was 61fps at the time...capping out.

https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ugc/934935710408442341/827DC06EBB9D71BB49EBE6757230C4CAE0D7E93C/

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Yeah always ran fine for me at 60fps so long as you don't slide.down any long ladders :pac:

Ill be getting it on Switch, the PC version of the game as portable is a sale for me

• Registered Users Posts: 29,830 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Zero-Cool wrote: »

Ouch, thats nasty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭geotrig

meh ,whats summer ,2 weeks delay :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,169 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Is the Switch getting the exact same versions as the PS4/Xbox?

J. Marston wrote: »
    Is the Switch getting the exact same versions as the PS4/Xbox?

Slightly different version, it comes with an easy mode specifically for Nintendo players.

PC players getting a 50% discount on remaster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

PC players getting a 50% discount on remaster.

And the original version will no longer be available to buy from the 9th May.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,169 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Decided against getting it. It's not fair comparing remakes to remasters but SotC and Crash have me spoiled.

I see nothing in the trailers that makes me go "Wow" or even kinda impresses me. Looks really half-arsed.

I'll probably pay £20 for it on PC, if only for the renewed community action.

DS Fix basically fixes the PC version anyways. So I won't be upgrading for PC.

Might get it for PS4 though

• Registered Users Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭Evade

I've been meaning to replay it for a while and chugging through Blighttown on PS3 has been putting me off so I'll pick it up.

I've booked the Friday and Monday off work so looking forward to playing it again. Am going to try my hand at PvP which I've never really been into before. I did try a few invasions in 3 but got slaughtered every time. Hope to change that soon!

Network test client is up for download now, you have until the 8th to download. It goes live the 11th and 12th

https://twitter.com/DarkSoulsGame/status/991590893676322816?s=19

Unless I got my time zones wrong this will be running 2am - 8am our time. No mention if there will be an EU test.

beans wrote: »

I'll nail them tonight or tomorrow. It'll happen.

Took a while longer than I'd have hoped (75ish runs), but I finally did it. SL1 lord souls begins here!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭bigphil2

Unless I got my time zones wrong this will be running 2am - 8am our time. No mention if there will be an EU test.

It between 17.00 - 23.00 for Europe.

I missed the client download :(

Advertisement