Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dark Souls

Options
1294295296297298300»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Minime2.5

Riddle101 wrote: »
    Have been playing Dark Souls 1 the last week and I actually think it's the best game of the series. I love DS3 for its gameplay and as a personal preference but DS1 just feels more challenging.

Sen's Fortress can be an absolute nightmare for low-level players. Those traps along with the snake warriors who throw lightning bolts are annoying as f*ck. The rolling boulders can be very annoying as they seem to change regardless of whether you have changed to gear to face the outside window in the gear room.

The tomb of giants can be very tricky on your first playthrough as you're basically walking around in the dark without a light trying desperately not to fall off a ledge or get killed by one of those giant skeletons. As you go further into the tomb the giant skeletons get worse and are beast-like. I discovered that fire was very effective against them so I keep my distance and just throw fireballs at them but they are very strong and you can barely block their attacks.

Blighttown is the worst area of them all. Very awkward and tricky to move around, if you come in through the sewers you'll have a very challenging time getting to the second bell.

The only thing I would say about Dark Souls is that the bosses can be very easy if you've summoned an ally to help you or you know what you're doing. The Iron Golem is a piece of cake if you summon Black Iron Tarkus, Solaire of Astora is very OP and is basically a freak of nature, and Witch Beatrice can be very useful when fighting the Moonlight Butterfly and the Four Kings.

I think Ornstein and Smough would probably be the hardest bosses in the DS, followed by the demon bosses in Izilith.

The level areas of dark souls are probably more challenging than ds3 but ds3 has the tougher bosses out of the 2

• Registered Users Posts: 8,407 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Minime2.5 wrote: »
    The level areas of dark souls are probably more challenging than ds3 but ds3 has the tougher bosses out of the 2

I'd be inclined to agree although some of the bosses in DS1 are a real headwreck. The Four Kings for example can be very annoying. Especially when they start ganging up on you and attack all at once. Even if you kill one, they just respawn again once you moved onto the next king. I must have faced them 20 times in the recent playthrough and I've been using every advantage I could take. I've been using the pinwheel mask for enhancing stamina recharge, the Crest Shield for protecting against magic, pyromancy because the king's are weak to it, and I've been using a strong sword, but they are a right pain.

Ornstein and Smough are the same as above, although I'm better able to handle them.

The CapraDemon in the Undead Burg is annoying too. Although he's not as powerful as other bosses, his location is what makes him tricky. You have a very narrow space to dodge his powerful attacks and you only have a few seconds after entering to react to him. Between the dogs that attack you and the demon itself, it just makes for an awkward fight. I know the trick is to run up the stairs to the safe location but first, you must dodge his attack and the dogs, and then you have to hope you make it up the stairs and deal with the dogs first.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,359 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Four Kings melt if you use the full Havel armour set.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Four Kings melt if you use the full Havel armour set.

Interesting, I'll give that a try next time I face them.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,650 ✭✭✭✭Penn

God damn I hate being invaded. As if the game isn't hard enough at times that when you finally are embered (or know you need the health boost so use an ember), some asswipe barges in. Last one I had 2 levels worth of souls with me. Died pretty near the bonfire so was easy enough to recover, just meant bunch of enemies respawned too.

I'd go offline completely only for the messages help with illusionary walls and mimics.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,072 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Penn wrote: »
    God damn I hate being invaded. As if the game isn't hard enough at times that when you finally are embered (or know you need the health boost so use an ember), some asswipe barges in. Last one I had 2 levels worth of souls with me. Died pretty near the bonfire so was easy enough to recover, just meant bunch of enemies respawned too.

I'd go offline completely only for the messages help with illusionary walls and mimics.

The chain coming out of the back of a Mimic always points to the right so have a look at that if you're not sure.

TitianGerm wrote: »
    The chain coming out of the back of a Mimic always points to the right so have a look at that if you're not sure.

I figured there must be some sign to tell them apart, but there doesn't seem to be a lot of chests in the game anyway so haven't really bothered trying to tell the difference. Usually if there's a message in front of a chest saying "Monster" or similar, I hit it before opening. And if there's a message saying "Treasure" or similar, I hit it twice to make sure because people are d*ckheads :D

• Registered Users Posts: 28,072 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I figured there must be some sign to tell them apart, but there doesn't seem to be a lot of chests in the game anyway so haven't really bothered trying to tell the difference. Usually if there's a message in front of a chest saying "Monster" or similar, I hit it before opening. And if there's a message saying "Treasure" or similar, I hit it twice to make sure because people are d*ckheads :D

If you stand in front of a Mimic you'll see the chest open slightly every few seconds as well.

Was it Dark Souls 2 where if you gave the chest a tap to check for a mimic you got rubbish inside? I thought that was really sneaky.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,359 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Was it Dark Souls 2 where if you gave the chest a tap to check for a mimic you got rubbish inside? I thought that was really sneaky.

That happens if you attack and destroy the chest checking if it's a mimic. Usually a little love tap is fine. I just check to see if the chest is breathing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

I finally beat Sister Friede yesterday. Still not 100% sure how. **** multi-phase boss fights.

Moved onto the ringed city. I don't know why this game hates me so much when all I have tried to do is love it.

Markitron wrote: »
    I don't know why this game hates me so much when all I have tried to do is love it.

Yeah. Spent a bit of last night respecc-ing my attributes and levelling up the Fume Ultra Great Sword, swapping around all my equipment to get a good equip load, decent resistances, poise etc. Destroying almost every enemy in one or two hits. Then came up against Aldrich and he proceeded to absolutely and repeatedly destroy me. Ended up having to switch back to my Great Club just to be able to get in a few hits and still be able to dodge out. That arrow move of his in the second phase is pure bullsh*t....

Definitely most attempts at a boss I've had yet, but finally got him with a suicide hit knowing I'd die hitting it. Worth it. Ald*ck....

Yeah. Spent a bit of last night respecc-ing my attributes and levelling up the Fume Ultra Great Sword, swapping around all my equipment to get a good equip load, decent resistances, poise etc. Destroying almost every enemy in one or two hits. Then came up against Aldrich and he proceeded to absolutely and repeatedly destroy me. Ended up having to switch back to my Great Club just to be able to get in a few hits and still be able to dodge out. That arrow move of his in the second phase is pure bullsh*t....

Definitely most attempts at a boss I've had yet, but finally got him with a suicide hit knowing I'd die hitting it. Worth it. Ald*ck....

My problem is that I haven't played DS3 in 5 years, I have a tonne of weapons and I'm getting more from the DLC but finding the whole thing really confusing. I had an amazingly fun build in DeS but it took some effort to get it just right, DS3 seems far more complicated. I'm at SL 125 as well, I don't even know if I can respec.

My problem is that I haven't played DS3 in 5 years, I have a tonne of weapons and I'm getting more from the DLC but finding the whole thing really confusing. I had an amazingly fun build in DeS but it took some effort to get it just right, DS3 seems far more complicated. I'm at SL 125 as well, I don't even know if I can respec.

I respecc-ed by going to Rosetta in the Cathedral and lets you do it up to 5 times in a playthrough. Costs a pale tongue each time.

Aldrich gave me so much trouble. I'd made a sorcery build and Aldrich is highly resistant to it meaning I was doing absolutely feck all damage to him.

After I finish the Ringed City (if I am able to) I'm gonna move onto NG+. Never played one of these in DS before, do I just keep going with the gear I have? Once you get to +10 on a sword is that it?
    Aldrich gave me so much trouble. I'd made a sorcery build and Aldrich is highly resistant to it meaning I was doing absolutely feck all damage to him.

Back in 2016 I think I had to summon to get past him

After I finish the Ringed City (if I am able to) I'm gonna move onto NG+. Never played one of these in DS before, do I just keep going with the gear I have? Once you get to +10 on a sword is that it?

They get a little bit tougher and I think some gear is NG+ exclusive.

DS2 has the best NG+ as it makes significant changes to the game. It's a shame they didn't continue that with DS3.

The Dark Knight Halberd is such a fun weapon to use. I've just started my 3rd game on Dark Souls, and I've been mowing down everyone in my path. I thought i'd have problems with it at first but it's so easy to wield once you've got the stats for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Icaras

DS2 has the best NG+ as it makes significant changes to the game. It's a shame they didn't continue that with DS3.

Im amazed none of the other From Soft games had it either. Even something like changing item or enemy placement would have given it significantly more replay value since in NG+ its not a huge deal if you get an end game weapon early.

Even though I'm mostly following FightinCowboy's walkthrough, I'm doing a few things differently and exploring a bit more. Doesn't make too much of a difference for the most part, but it does mean last night, I accidentally did Yhorm on super easy mode because Siegward joined the fight.

Looks like the next boss fight against the Dancer could more than make up for that though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Riddle101 wrote: »
    The Dark Knight Halberd is such a fun weapon to use. I've just started my 3rd game on Dark Souls, and I've been mowing down everyone in my path. I thought i'd have problems with it at first but it's so easy to wield once you've got the stats for it.

I beat the game with that, dumped a load of stats into strength so that I could one hand it with a shield, seems daft now, but I had no idea at the time that it was meant to be a two handed weapon. It does mega damage from a good distance too!

Disappointingly, I managed to beat Nameless King and Soul of Cinder both on the first try. Took most of my estus flasks of course, but other than that didn't even have to use resins or anything. Fume Ultra Greatsword just destroyed them both. Toughest boss in the game for me ended up being the twin princes. Just could not get the dodges down or enough space/time to heal. Ended up summoning help.

Not sure I'll bother with the DLC. Maybe save for a future playthrough.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,038 ✭✭✭Unearthly

So started Dark Souls 1 remastered on PS5. Reminds me so much of Demon’s Souls with the slower combat, atmosphere and a dragon burning me to death on a bridge.

Really enjoying it so far. I’ve got invaded a few times which took me by surprise as it wasn’t a thing in Elden Ring unless you requested it and Sekiro had no online. Some fecker invaded and killed me right outside a boss room which takes a while to get to from the bonfire.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,212 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

It went on sale on steam a while ago and I picked it up. Only played about 30 mins because I’m too busy with other games at the moment. First impression it looks very old.

Advertisement