Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dark Souls

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Try and become human. If you are human you can summon a helper right outside the fog to help you. With the helper, its very easy.

If you cant do that, I would suggest leaving the fire guy till last and stay away from him. Also, try and kill the tail of the main guy. He drops an axe if you do.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,300 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

2smiggy wrote: »
    any one any good tips on beating the tower gargoyles ?

died alot on them :(

i have killed the first one a few times only to panic and get burned by the second one. my best success has been when i dodge his first attack and then hack like mad two handed with the drake sword.

Do you have a fire resist shield? Shield up and hack away.

If not, as soon as you have the first gargoyle killed, get as close to and behind the second as you can and hack away.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,543 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

what do you need to summon again ? i think i have necessary stone. will someone join me quickly or is it hit and miss ?

also where can i find a fire resistant shield ? would be very handy indeed !

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,433 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

what do you need to summon again ? i think i have necessary stone. will someone join me quickly or is it hit and miss ?

also where can i find a fire resistant shield ? would be very handy indeed !

There's a an NPC at the opposite end of the big bridge to the dragon. He'll give you the item (White soap stone I think). Then, if you're human before the gargoyles, you can summon him before the fight. There should be a pale yellow marking on the ground just before the fog gate.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

If you can kill the first gargoyle befre the second gets to you its pretty easy, just keep sidestepping and hitting when hes flaming/swinging etc.

Once on the second one just stay back and sidestep until he starts breathing fire and go in for a few hits on the side. Its really easy once you get the hang of it.

• Advertisement

ah, i had missed that dude solatire on the balcony altogether. just found him now !!

i am in undead for, i put a summon sign right outside the bell gargoyles. just a waiting game now or do i have to change into human form ??

i killed alot of enemies without dying, but still no humanity , only pace with more alive is past the red dragon, alot of effort to gain one humanity

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

Magill wrote: »
    If you can kill the first gargoyle befre the second gets to you its pretty easy, just keep sidestepping and hitting when hes flaming/swinging etc.

Once on the second one just stay back and sidestep until he starts breathing fire and go in for a few hits on the side. Its really easy once you get the hang of it.

If you have low damage output it can be difficult to kill them both at the same time as one is covering the other from being flanked by breathing fire.

Best bet is to nuke down the first one as quick as possible before the other one arrives.
    F1ngers wrote: »
    I went to do a bit of farming there - wrong, just wrong. Much quicker to farm souls and just buy them - unless there is a ring or something to guarantee a drop, it just takes too long.

Its actually really fast. If you have the rusted iron ring and the item discovery ring and some light clothing. Average about 4-5 shards per run, plus you get souls to Although i only did this before i beat the final boss. I wouldnt bother farming mid game. Unless you where having trouble beating a boss and needed upgrades
    i am in undead for, i put a summon sign right outside the bell gargoyles. just a waiting game now or do i have to change into human form ??

i killed alot of enemies without dying, but still no humanity , only pace with more alive is past the red dragon, alot of effort to gain one humanity

If you drop the sign then you get called into another persons game. It doesnt effect your game in anyway. If you kill the Gargoyles they will die in his world, not yours. You will get some souls and humanity if you kill the boss though.

If you need help killing the boss in your world then you need to reverse hollowing at a bonfire. When your in humanform you will see white signs on the ground, these are people you can summon to your game. I did some coop on a new char last night at gargoyles. Just inside the church near the altar and up top at the fog gates are two good places where people will drop summon signs

cheers !! makes sense now. i also notice there is something glowing behind the big knight just after going up t elevator, is it worth a suicide run to get it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭Gandalph

The Hydra is so easy...but I keep managing to fall into the deep water, I get too carried away when Im on the last couple of heads!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,388 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I wanna play now but it is too bloody sunny out, screen blur etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

noodler wrote: »
    I wanna play now but it is too bloody sunny out, screen blur etc.
    Definitely a game that is best played in a dark room. I couldn't see a thing down in the Depths yesterday!

The recommended brightness seems very low also. I have my TV set to reference levels and I never normally need to adjust it on those brightness screens but for DS I had to lower it 3 levels I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

for the depths there a light spell that can be bought from a vendor beyond the 1st hydra

What's the story with Logan I freed him but the ungreatful git won't sell me anything.

for anyone who is as bad as me :pac:

you can get humanity fairly easily from those 3 rats you meet after goingu the ladder from undead berg and under the dragon.

need it as i have messed up a few times fighting them gargoyles with solitaire summoned already :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Danonino.

Right so Im convinced... This game is getting bought :D
    I had rented it thinking I would give it a shot and see how I fared, and to be honest the game has blown me away, its like a mix of Resident Evil & Eternal darkness but an RPG.... and that is just what I been looking for. :cool:

I've been playing on 360, but I have been having some serious frame rate issues (very old creaky 360). I do have a brand spanking new PS3 and now Im wondering if I should buy DS for that and start again, or put up with the stuttering and keep going on the 360.

Any advice? How are people finding the PS3 version?

Has anybody encountered a Vagrant? Apparently if someone drops an item it will randomly appear in another persons world as a vagrant who will drop the item when killed.

I've been dropping spare armour and stuff in the hope it makes soemone elses game a bit more interesting but I've yet to come accross one myself. What do they even look like?

Its actually really fast. If you have the rusted iron ring and the item discovery ring and some light clothing. Average about 4-5 shards per run, plus you get souls to Although i only did this before i beat the final boss. I wouldnt bother farming mid game. Unless you where having trouble beating a boss and needed upgrades

I don't have the item discovery ring(yet), but will try again when I have it.
    I'm not even half way through the game yet, I like to get my grinding done early so that I'm all set for the end boss and straight into NG+
    Danonino. wrote: »
    Any advice? How are people finding the PS3 version?

There are frame rate issues with the PS3 too, can't compare to 360, so your call.

defeated the gargoyles with help from solataire and another player :D

opened the gate with the lever, got the key the basement.

killed big knight that you meet coming from the elevator,

where do i go from here, looked it up but cannot seem to find where too.

Regarding the frame rate, apparently patch 1.04 helps with it. Its out in Japan but we don't have it yet. I'm glad because blightown is a total nightmare with fps drops.

Here is a list for Snuggly the crow by the way. Just drop the item in the nest and log out to recieve your item.

Bloodred Moss Clump ---> Twinkling Titanite
    Blooming Purple Moss Clump ---> Twinkling Titanite x2
    Cracked Red Eye Orb ---> Purging Stone x2
    Dried Finger ---> Blue Titanite Chunk
    Dung Pie ---> Demon Titanite
    Egg Vermifuge ---> Dragon Scale
    Humanity ---> Ring of Sacrifice
    Pendant ---> Souvenir or Reprisal
    Prism Stone ---> Demon Titanite
    Pyromancy Flame ---> Red Titanite Chunk
    Pyromancy Flame ---> Red Titanite Slab
    Purple Moss Clump ---> Twinkling Titanite
    Rubbish ---> Titanite Chunk
    Ring of the Sun Princess ---> Divine Blessing x2
    Sack ---> Demon's Great Hammer
    Skull Lantern ---> Ring of Fog
    Sunlight Maggot ---> Old Witch's Ring
    Sunlight Medal ---> White Titanite Chunk
    Twin Humanities ---> Rare Ring of Sacrifice
    Xanthous Crown ---> Ring of Favor and Protection

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

defeated the gargoyles with help from solataire and another player :D

opened the gate with the lever, got the key the basement.

killed big knight that you meet coming from the elevator,

where do i go from here, looked it up but cannot seem to find where too.

Just after where you fought the Taurus demon, on the bridge before you had to run into the dragons fire, is a door the basement key should open. Leads to the area below Undead Burg, and the Capra Demon......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Danonino.

Thanks guys, yeah I heard both versions have frame issues, I guess I just feel guilty having a new console yet playing the old one :o lol
    Also my xbox makes serious noise if I play for an extended period :rolleyes: guess I need to save and get one of them fancy new black ones.

regarding snuggly trading:
    Bloodred Moss Clump ---> Twinkling Titanite
    Blooming Purple Moss Clump ---> Twinkling Titanite x2

I will try trade the Red moss first then the Blooming if I restart as trading the blooming first = snuggly wont accept any other moss. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Jesus, Blighttown is a pain. Is it worth continuing even though I get poisened pretty easily when i walk into the swamp? or is there somewhere else to go that I'm missing.

To make things worse, my Halbred is about to break so I'm using my other weapons which don't do half as much damage

tok9 wrote: »
    To make things worse, my Halbred is about to break so I'm using my other weapons which don't do half as much damage

Repair* it, I repair my weapons/armour almost every time I get to a bonfire.

I'm assuming you have the repair box - if not, you should.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭tonydude

I like to get my grinding done early so that I'm all set for the end boss and straight into NG+

I think leveling up too high in the first playthrough to be a disaster, The enemies will level up to what you are when you start NG+ and the grinding will be more severe.

From the official guide:
    Drift Items are online, multiplayer based
    items, and as such, you will never see them
    if playing in Offline Mode. They are essentially
    items that have turned into monsters.
    However, they will only appear in places
    that other players have died in whilst playing
    online, and even then only in specific places
    within each area. A Drift Item will drop somethmg
    related to the level and type of player that
    dies there, such as Souls of Undead items

Apprently the monsters can be either a crab thing or an egg-type thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭tonydude

Just killed the grey wolf, great boss but very easy to defeat, fire is not his friend

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Repair* it, I repair my weapons/armour almost every time I get to a bonfire.

I'm assuming you have the repair box - if not, you should.

I'm after heading back to Undead Burg and i just noticed the repair box with the merchant. Sounds like it's well worth it.

Also going to kill that dragon while I'm here

tonydude wrote: »
    I think leveling up too high in the first playthrough to be a disaster, The enemies will level up to what you are when you start NG+ and the grinding will be more severe.

I've heard NG+ is 2-3 times harder, if it does level up with me..well I'll cross that bridge when I get there.
    Just killed the grey wolf, great boss but very easy to defeat, fire is not his friend

Nor is soul arrow/heavy soul arrow.

I dont think it works like that. I'm open to correction but I don't think its an Oblivion style way of monsters leveling with you. I think its based on flat percentages. I.e. New game + mobs will hit 300% harder regardless of what level you are.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,433 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Finally made it through the catacombs - Pinwheel is probably the easiest boss I've encountered yet (I died once because I didn't know he had an uber attack), especially considering the pain it is to get to him. Going to leave the Giants for a while.

Took down the hydra too - irritating because half the time I couldn't even get to him because of the ****ing water projectiles. And then first few times I did get close I learned about drowning the hard way :mad: Easy when you know what you're doing, getting close is infuriating though.

Did a bit of grinding to stock up on Transient Curse (4000 souls - daylight sewer robbery!). Any New Londo spoils will be spent on toxin cures. I'll get to level up again one of these days.

Advertisement