Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dark Souls

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Big Knox

tonydude wrote: »
    I think leveling up too high in the first playthrough to be a disaster, The enemies will level up to what you are when you start NG+ and the grinding will be more severe.

NG+ is a set difficulty, the enemies are up to 300% tougher than normal in terms of health and damage etc.

It's actually easy going though to be honest, im pure melee which is supposed to be the hardest way to play NG+ and im finding it handy so far!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

Kirby wrote: »
    I dont think it works like that. I'm open to correction but I don't think its an Oblivion style way of monsters leveling with you. I think its based on flat percentages. I.e. New game + mobs will hit 300% harder regardless of what level you are.

Yeah, its similar to Demons Souls where the difficulty in NG+ is a constant and doesn't scale with your SL.
    The first New Game+ (your second play through the game on a
    single save file), features the largest spike in difficulty. Enemies
    will have higher health, attack and defense values. Health values
    will increase from between 1.5 to 2.5 times their old amounts,
    depending on the enemy. Attack power will increase by 1.3 to 2.3
    times, while defense will increase by up to 1.6 times, or otherwise
    remain unchanged. The general rule of thumb is that weaker, more
    common enemies, such as the Zombie type enemies, will see the
    largest gains. Stronger, less common foes that appear later in the
    game will see smaller gains.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

That big snake lad eats you whole! :D:eek::p:D

Gas stuff altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Any New Londo spoils will be spent on toxin cures. I'll get to level up again one of these days.

If you have killed the statue guy beside the smith in Undead Parish (or you could try run past him), go through Darkroot and kill the 4 plant monsters along the cliff and you will reach a door. There is a hidden bonfire to the left of hit, just hit the wall. those 4 plants can drop all 3 types of Moss so very handy place for stocking up before blight-town.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,433 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Gunmonkey wrote: »
    If you have killed the statue guy beside the smith in Undead Parish (or you could try run past him), go through Darkroot and kill the 4 plant monsters along the cliff and you will reach a door. There is a hidden bonfire to the left of hit, just hit the wall. those 4 plants can drop all 3 types of Moss so very handy place for stocking up before blight-town.

Yeah I'm grand for all the moss except white. And those toxin darts stopped me short last time I went down. I suppose the darkroot spot is good for grinding souls even if they don't drop many white moss.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Completionist

Ok, So i am currently being invaded for the first time... However i can't find the invader. This means i can't rest, Or quit the game and i am not ready to fight the boss yet.

Is it possible to outwait an invader? It has been around 15 Minutes since i saw him, and that was only a glimpse from a different level and as such, wasn't able to kill him.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,433 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Do you have any of the banishing items? I have a few in my inventory, and they've been there since near the beginning!

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Razleavy

Dark Souls speed run (1:26:28) Madness!

Do you have any of the banishing items? I have a few in my inventory, and they've been there since near the beginning!

I've tried that, It says "No phantom to send home" or something similar:o

Still can't quit or rest, Mabye im bugged out something >_>

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

I just got the Greatshield of Artorias. It has 88 stability. You can block everything :p

The only down side is that my Giant Shield +10 has more resistance on it. 60 magic, 75 fire and 75 lightning. A bit more than the artorias. I might use it for Magic fights.

Still......88 stability is like ultimate blocking. You can attack away yourself knowing that you don't need any stamina to block whatever comes at you. Its quality.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,300 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

I've tried that, It says "No phantom to send home" or something similar:o

Still can't quit or rest, Mabye im bugged out something >_>

What about signing out of PSN/XBL - reset your router.
    Shouldn't have to be waiting around like that.

F1ngers wrote: »
    What about signing out of PSN/XBL - reset your router.
    Shouldn't have to be waiting around like that.

Did that when the timer i had set reached 50 minutes:P

Question: Got invaded again but killed the invader this time, Do i get his weapon? A Great Axe appeared in my inventory and i don't remember getting it >_>

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

Did that when the timer i had set reached 50 minutes:P

Question: Got invaded again but killed the invader this time, Do i get his weapon? A Great Axe appeared in my inventory and i don't remember getting it >_>

Depends. Some invasions are actually NPC's and not other players. If your in human form in some places you can get invaded. Some of the invaders drop unique loot like that spike armour from the All Saint Day trailer. Off the top of my head there are about 9 times an NPC can invade you. But if you kill the boss for an area you wont get the NPC invasion for that area

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

Razleavy wrote: »
    Dark Souls speed run (1:26:28) Madness!

Sorry , had to be done

• Registered Users Posts: 26,388 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Serious progress today.

Pretty much all conincided with finally getting the (crazily overpowered) Drake Sword.

Killed both Knights I have come accross
    Killed both Gargoyles
    Killed Capra Demon
    Killed that big Shield guy in the Church (and the magic soul arrow firing priest)
    Killed the Giant Rat

I also murded that guy in the cage beside the church. Hope that won't come back to haunt me but I don't wait until later for rewards.

Got killed my the Gaping Dragon so am taking a break (but I'#d be surpised if he is a challenge - seems to slow).

Okay, question. I have not used any of my humanity so far. I assume I should? No point in storing it up and I am missing have the fun of the game (being invaded) if I only ever wander about in Soul Form?

noodler wrote: »
    I also murded that guy in the cage beside the church. Hope that won't come back to haunt me but I don't wait until later for rewards.

I dunno why but this made me lol. Did you like his armour? Then yeah you just screwed yourself out of it.

I actually fought the Gaping Dragon last night without killing the priest at the top of the sewers, it actually makes the fight kinda hard. The priest keeps shooting at you and interupting you and doing that dance that buffs the damage of the dragon. Not that he needs a dmg buff or anything...

If your human you can use your humanity to get 10 flasks from bonfires instead of 5. This is pretty much the only reason i have used humanity. Its also used for:
    Some covenants. (you give it to them for rewards)
    Healing yourself when your a phantom (you cant use flasks)
    Damage Boost (on some rare weapons and spells the more humanity you have the more damage you do)

And thats about it. Yeah being a human seems pointless. Curse resist and the chance that some other soul glitcher invades your game with end game gear and ****s you over. Did alot of coop on a new char last night was abit of crack.

Oh and if you want those rare NPC invasions then you gotta be human going through some areas

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

sif was a pain in the a, once you figured him out he was rather easy. Now for the long trek to ceasless discharge then onto new londo.

Where do I convert my boss souls to weapons?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,388 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I dunno why but this made me lol. Did you like his armour? Then yeah you just screwed yourself out of it.

I actually fought the Gaping Dragon last night without killing the priest at the top of the sewers, it actually makes the fight kinda hard. The priest keeps shooting at you and interupting you and doing that dance that buffs the damage of the dragon. Not that he needs a dmg buff or anything...

If your human you can use your humanity to get 10 flasks from bonfires instead of 5. This is pretty much the only reason i have used humanity. Its also used for:
    Damage Boost (on some rare weapons and spells the more humanity you have the more damage you do)

And thats about it. Yeah being a human seems pointless. Curse resist and the chance that some other soul glitcher invades your game with end game gear and ****s you over. Did alot of coop on a new char last night was abit of crack.

Oh and if you want those rare NPC invasions then you gotta be human going through some areas

Comprehensive, thank you.

I got a crap ring for killing the prisoner, actually it is not crap as it boosts many stats but it will break when I take it off so..

His armour was all gay and yellow..pass.

I will go human next chance I get - same as in Demons though, right? If I use a piece of humanity to go human but then die I have to use more humanity etc?

Haven't found a blacksmith yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

sif was a pain in the a, once you figured him out he was rather easy. Now for the long trek to ceasless discharge then onto new londo.

Ceaseless discharge is a cheap boss, after you beat him don't go below him unless yer powerful a balls, capra + taurus demons down there like an infestation!

I think being human also gives a greater item drop per humanity you have. So having 10 humanity as human gives a better chance for items to drop than 10 humanity as a hollow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Actually forgot to ask about the 4 titanite demons in sens, first 2 were piss easy but the 3rd seems to have an insane amount of hp.

noodler wrote: »
    Comprehensive, thank you.

I got a crap ring for killing the prisoner, actually it is not crap as it boosts many stats but it will break when I take it off so..

His armour was all gay and yellow..pass.

I will go human next chance I get - same as in Demons though, right? If I use a piece of humanity to go human but then die I have to use more humanity etc?

Haven't found a blacksmith yet.

Regarding the humanity...yes

There is a blacksmith just outside the side entrance of the church where you ring the bell. Hes down a long pathway guarded by 1 crossbow guy and 2 sword and shield hollows. If you take the lift up from firelink shrine just run straight as you exit the lift, cant miss him. Bonfire there also.
    I think being human also gives a greater item drop per humanity you have. So having 10 humanity as human gives a better chance for items to drop than 10 humanity as a hollow.
    You might be on to something there. I was looking at my stats last night and saw i had 129 item discovery, which was weird. Forget if i was human or undead. But i know i was human for alot of my play last night

Feels like im in a chat room on this thread, its so fast. Gonna go and actually play Dark Souls now :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭tonydude

Big Knox wrote: »
    NG+ is a set difficulty, the enemies are up to 300% tougher than normal in terms of health and damage etc.

It's actually easy going though to be honest, im pure melee which is supposed to be the hardest way to play NG+ and im finding it handy so far!!

Would it be better to level up as much as possible before NG+ so

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Danonino.

Danonino. wrote: »
    Right so Im convinced... This game is getting bought :D
    I had rented it thinking I would give it a shot and see how I fared, and to be honest the game has blown me away, its like a mix of Resident Evil & Eternal darkness but an RPG.... and that is just what I been looking for. :cool:

I've been playing on 360, but I have been having some serious frame rate issues (very old creaky 360). I do have a brand spanking new PS3 and now Im wondering if I should buy DS for that and start again, or put up with the stuttering and keep going on the 360.

Any advice? How are people finding the PS3 version?

just to say I bought The PS3 version when I brought the rental back, and I'll be honest.... I didnt expect a difference but there is one, and its noticable.
    I can look freely around the undead burg and fight multiple bad guys without the framerate turning to mush. Im after restarting but the parts where I noticed slow down (dragon first sighting, when up high and looking around, dragon on the bridge etc) are way better.
    Also the game looks nicer to me, darker colours but more reflections or something.

Anyway long story short:
    4 days playing the 360 version and only hours on the PS3 version, yet I would recommend the PS3 version to anyone getting the game.

Oh and restarting as a dual scimitar weilding wanderer is awesome :eek:

disclaimer: I actually flipped a coin to see which version I'd get lol. My xbox is getting on (old white 60gb pro).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

I know im only scratching the surface so far in the game but i dont what to clear it , so im going to start grinding to max my character as much as possible till i get bored :D

Danonino. wrote: »
    Oh and restarting as a dual scimitar weilding wanderer is awesome :eek:

Awesome. I was wondering earlier what would be the pros and cons of dual wielding in this game. In Demons it was good in pvp apparently (didnt play much pvp in Demons)

I know some daggers/rapiers have a parry when used in the offhand but what about two attacking weapons....like....two Zweihanders :eek:

Anor Londo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭Gandalph

Climbed up the ladder in front of the hydra only to get owned by some super tree's, went back, took them out carefully then got my ass handed to me by some ghost sort of soldiers, what is this I dont even...

Gandalph wrote: »
    Climbed up the ladder in front of the hydra only to get owned by some super tree's, went back, took them out carefully then got my ass handed to me by some ghost sort of soldiers, what is this I dont even...

There are around half a dozen humans, kind of analogs of the starting classes (Sorceror, Bandit, Thief, Cleric) guarding the ruin where you join the hunters covenant, since its all about guarding the forest they are trying to keep you out. Yeah its a pain, have to take em one at a time, there are 3 that are shadowed so you cant lock onto them and they are a b***h to spot, but best soul farming spot as each drops 2000 souls and most respawn. Watch for Pharis the archer, drops a very nice bow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Big Knox

Awesome. I was wondering earlier what would be the pros and cons of dual wielding in this game. In Demons it was good in pvp apparently (didnt play much pvp in Demons)

I know some daggers/rapiers have a parry when used in the offhand but what about two attacking weapons....like....two Zweihanders :eek:

Anor Londo

Dual sharp +5 uchi with cursed weapon and second chance raped in Demon's. Done alot of pvp on the Asian servers and used to clean up with that build.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭Gandalph

There are around half a dozen humans, kind of analogs of the starting classes (Sorceror, Bandit, Thief, Cleric) guarding the ruin where you join the hunters covenant, since its all about guarding the forest they are trying to keep you out. Yeah its a pain, have to take em one at a time, there are 3 that are shadowed so you cant lock onto them and they are a b***h to spot, but best soul farming spot as each drops 2000 souls and most respawn. Watch for Pharis the archer, drops a very nice bow.

I tried sneaking around the other way only to get ambushed by 3 big rat/wolf creatures, its not looking good on this part of the darkroot front!

Advertisement