Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dark Souls

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Question for the lads who are far. AnCapailMor, Fingers, Big knox etc. What weapons are you guys using at the moment specifically?

I upgraded a Dragons Tooth to +5 and it does insane damage two handed but requires 40 str to wield with a shield and I only have 36str that I leved for the Artorias Greatshield. I amn't willing to put anymore into str untill they fix it, even the 4 points I need. So that ones out for the moment.

I have a Lighting spear+5 and Quelaggs flame sword+5. I'm quite happy because I can quick switch between them for guys who are weak to lightning and weak to fire and they are quick weapons. But I'm getting the feeling I could get a better lightning weapon. Which lightning wep is the best in your eyes?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

I'm still fairly early into the game, only finishing up anor londo now(been farting around alot), but i'm liking the lightning winged spear+3, not for the damage but the defense, you poke without dropping your shield, its quick and is quite good for interupting enemies in mid swing. I'm building up an Iaito at the moment, once i find the stones to upgrade the damage more, i'll switch to it as my dex is higher than strength. And like demons souls, i'd be lost without my longbow+10.

Aye, I'm using the bow more and more now for quick long ranged kills. Upgraded my +10 to a lightning bow.

I'm also leveling an Iaito....how weird is that? :p Mainly because I like Katana's and think they look cool. No other reason really. Got mine to +7 but I'll probably go to +15 as soon as I can afford it.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,388 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Tut hours of play in until I first found a blacksmith and I decided to upgrade the Halbred to +4 which used all my titanite shards.

Only have a shortbow and didn't wanna upgrade that.

Kirby wrote: »
    Aye, I'm using the bow more and more now for quick long ranged kills. Upgraded my +10 to a lightning bow.

I'm also leveling an Iaito....how weird is that? :p Mainly because I like Katana's and think they look cool. No other reason really. Got mine to +7 but I'll probably go to +15 as soon as I can afford it.

Whats the lightning bow like? i tried the magic bow and quickly downgraded back to a +5 and upgraded from there.

I like the iaito but i wish i had my kijii from demons souls, that was a beautiful weapon.

• Advertisement

noodler wrote: »
    Only have a shortbow and didn't wanna upgrade that.

There's a longbow not far from the blacksmith, just need to kill 2 trees in the forest and turn right and run down the path on the way to the basin.

Anyone see or find a composite bow? i've seen it on the wiki's but they don't give a location.

There's a longbow not far from the blacksmith, just need to kill 2 trees in the forest and turn right and run down the path on the way to the basin.

Anyone see or find a composite bow? i've seen it on the wiki's but they don't give a location.

Summoned some magic god last night to do the forest with (bloody power on her, downing those giant knights in one hit) and had thought I picked the place clean (Partizan etc).

Will have another look.

Trees are nothing compared to my fire hand thingy-me-bob +2.

I'm using a Composite for the extra damage. It has shorter range though than the longbow so bare that in mind. I can't actually remember where I got it.....but Ive had it a while. I think I got it in Darkwood Basin. Or maybe off a dragon in valley of the drakes.

Jury is still out on the lightning bow tbh. More testing required. It does more damage than the +10 on some mobs but on anything that has lightning resist it does less than half. I havent decided wheather to go back with it or not yet.

Summoned some magic god last night to do the forest with (bloody power on her, downing those giant knights in one hit) and had thought I picked the place clean (Partizan etc).

Will have another look.

Its the turn off at the start of darkroot, just after the first tree, you'll head down a steep path into the deeproot basin oh yeah there's a lizard. Path will split later on, right leads to a black knight and land of the dwakes and the left leads to the hydra before you get anywhere near the hydra, there's the longbow.

1 more question, anyone else sell the heavy or basic arrows? sick of running back and forth to the undead burg.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

To be fair, the popularization of the drake sword by the japanese has meant over half of all players get it. It makes the early game so much easier. Watch somebodies first playthrough without it. They die so much more.
    I deliberately avoided getting the Drake Sword after reading on here it was overpowered..... and yes I died alot swinging a crappy longsword for a long time! But it was worth it in the end as when I got my Magic Battle Axe it felt the right time to have a wepaon doing 200+ damage

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,764 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

Working 9-5, then going home to get murdered again and again until 3am...
    I think I'm actually starting to hollow

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,172 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I picked up the Composite Bow in New Londo Ruins. After draining the lake, it was through a doorway somewhere. Can't remember exactly though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Danonino.

Snip.....
    1 more question, anyone else sell the heavy or basic arrows? sick of running back and forth to the undead burg.

This please :D, Thread is a mine of info :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭marko93

Getting absolutly crucified playing this.. Yet I love it so much..

• Registered Users Posts: 20,543 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

few quick questions ,

i am just before the capra demon. level 23/24 . what weapons should i be upgrading ? is there any hidden ones i should have got by now, shields etc included.

also i hear about this lightening spear. where can i get one of these :pac:
    i don't care if its overpowered as i just want to progress any way i can really !!

Lightning spear is a good bit into it, can't reach it until you ring 2nd bell.

Should have the drake sword, saves on using the upgrade items until later.

Magic scaling seems odd. Seems to scale more with my Pyromancies than my Sorceries depite having a C scaling Fire glove and an A scaling catalyst!

Combustion, Fireball and Fire Orb are all doing mega damage whilst Great Soul arrow is consistently pathehtic!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,543 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

ya have the drake, i will not waste my shards upgrading anything a while. i seen you can buy a key for a good farming place for 20000, at my level can i get to this place through the forest or will i just get killed by what i am trying to make the easy souls off of

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Big Knox

Question for the lads who are far. AnCapailMor, Fingers, Big knox etc. What weapons are you guys using at the moment specifically?

I upgraded a Dragons Tooth to +5 and it does insane damage two handed but requires 40 str to wield with a shield and I only have 36str that I leved for the Artorias Greatshield. I amn't willing to put anymore into str untill they fix it, even the 4 points I need. So that ones out for the moment.

I have a Lighting spear+5 and Quelaggs flame sword+5. I'm quite happy because I can quick switch between them for guys who are weak to lightning and weak to fire and they are quick weapons. But I'm getting the feeling I could get a better lightning weapon. Which lightning wep is the best in your eyes?

The bigger weapons will benefit more from the lightning upgrade as the lightning damage will match and at +5 exceed the physical damage so really its just a matter of what weapon best suites your play style.

I went with a Claymore and I love it, great range has a good R1 cone attack that hits multiple enemies and the R2 is a piercing lunge that does great damage and has awsome range. Also if you switch to 2 hand it can stagger and break guards after two hits while attacking very fast for a weapon of its size!!

I see some people go for even bigger weapons like the Man Serpent Sword or the Zweihander but they are a bit too big and slow for me I find the Claymore a good balance.

Also some people go for the Lightning Uchigatana, as you said you like Katanas that might be a good option although it wont do as much damage as the claymore!!
    2smiggy wrote: »
    few quick questions ,

i am just before the capra demon. level 23/24 . what weapons should i be upgrading ? is there any hidden ones i should have got by now, shields etc included.

also i hear about this lightening spear. where can i get one of these :pac:
    i don't care if its overpowered as i just want to progress any way i can really !!

On the shield note it depends if you want a medium shield (parry) or a heavy shield (bash). The medium shields weigh less and can parry but have average stability. The heavy shields have a bash attack but have much higher stability so take less stamina when blocking.

I would personally recommend heavy shields as they give better protection and stamina management but again I rarely parry so its down to playstyle.

If you want a very good heavy shield grab the Eagle Shield in blightown its near the 2nd bonfire on one of the concrete ledges behind a corner.

It only has a weight of 6 and a stability of 70 and is very good when upgraded!!

The lightning Spear is in a chest in Sens Fortress you need to ring both the bells before you get in there its the big gate past the Blacksmith in the Undead Parish!!

Has no one completed it yet?

• Advertisement

ya have the drake, i will not waste my shards upgrading anything a while. i seen you can buy a key for a good farming place for 20000, at my level can i get to this place through the forest or will i just get killed by what i am trying to make the easy souls off of

I wouldn't recommend upgrading the Drake Sword unless you absolutely need too, although the only other dragon weapons are huge and require 50 strength so if you're not going a STR build you can upgrade the Drake Sword if needed.

You are quite low for the farm spot in Darkroot, the mobs will tear you up but you could try the aggro and hide under the stairs technique and let them run off the edge!! To be honest I would recommend just continuing on into the Depths and Blighttown. If you are really struggling post up your stats and gear and ill try give you some tips.

Has no one completed it yet?

Myself and YouSavedMyLife have been on NG+ awhile now although I havent played in a few days, im currently just before Sens in NG+

The fact strength is so broken p1ssed me off no end as it feels like ive wasted 50 points on it but I will go back and play some more this week have been itching to get back in!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭SK1979

penev10 wrote: »
    Magic scaling seems odd. Seems to scale more with my Pyromancies than my Sorceries depite having a C scaling Fire glove and an A scaling catalyst!

Combustion, Fireball and Fire Orb are all doing mega damage whilst Great Soul arrow is consistently pathehtic!

Just in relation to this, would you have upgraded your Pyro glove yet as afaik Pyro scales with your glove and has nothing to do with Intelligence. I've only learned this after pouring about 25 points into Intelligence. Scorcery will scale with Intelligence but not Pyromancy.

Pyromancy is all about the glove. I've it fully upgraded now and its the most ridiculously overpowered thing..

A Chaos Great Fireball does about 850 damage and then leaves lava on the floor that does about 265 further damage.

Big Knox wrote: »
    Also some people go for the Lightning Uchigatana, as you said you like Katanas that might be a good option although it wont do as much damage as the claymore!!

Isn't the only way to get that to Kill the merchant in the undead burg? Don't want to do that. I've already killed two random NPC's by accident so adding a third would be....bad :p.

Buy the key for the 20k. It's well worth it. There is a bonfire behind a destructible wall right beside the door you open with the key. Run down the stairs and there are four men you can kill over and over for souls. Two caster types, a lad with an axe and an invisible ninja.

If you have a strong weapon, you can 3 or 4 hit them. If you dont, lure them over to the cliff one at a time and push them off by attacking or using your kick. Then go to the bonfire to reset and do it again.

You can make about 20 levels in an hour before diminishing returns kick in. It's the business. :p

SK1979 wrote: »
    Just in relation to this, would you have upgraded your Pyro glove yet as afaik Pyro scales with your glove and has nothing to do with Intelligence. I've only learned this after pouring about 25 points into Intelligence. Scorcery will scale with Intelligence but not Pyromancy.

Pyromancy is all about the glove. I've it fully upgraded now and its the most ridiculously overpowered thing..

A Chaos Great Fireball does about 850 damage and then leaves lava on the floor that does about 265 further damage.
    I've the glove up to +6 and Intelligence of 20.

The glove does have a Int scaling stat though?. I'm not really sure what Magic Adjust and that refers to but I reckon Int must affect the strength of Pyromancies in some way?

Either way Sorceries are seriously underpowered.

Isn't the only way to get that to Kill the merchant in the undead burg? Don't want to do that. I've already killed two random NPC's by accident so adding a third would be....bad :p.

Buy the key for the 20k. It's well worth it. There is a bonfire behind a destructible wall right beside the door you open with the key. Run down the stairs and there are four men you can kill over and over for souls. Two caster types, a lad with an axe and an invisible ninja.

If you have a strong weapon, you can 3 or 4 hit them. If you dont, lure them over to the cliff one at a time and push them off by attacking or using your kick. Then go to the bonfire to reset and do it again.

You can make about 20 levels in an hour before diminishing returns kick in. It's the business. :p

Yeah its the only way of getting it which is a bit of a pain, just do what I did and go on killing spree and kill absolutely everyone before you start NG+

Although I was having loads of fun on my massacre before I killed the Giant Blacksmith in Anor Londo and got hit with a wave of guilt!! :P

On the farming spot in Darkroot, if you run down the steps and around the area and get the attention of the mobs then sprint back to the steps and run in around the back of the stairs to the ledge they will all run up the steps and over your head off the side of the cliff, makes it even faster if you can get it right!! Bit cheap but sure the game is sometimes you might aswell be when you can... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭tonydude

Just picked up the official guide 17 euro in gamestop in blackpool all sold out though . Looks great

• Registered Users Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭SK1979

The glove does have a Int scaling stat though?. I'm not really sure what Magic Adjust and that refers to but I reckon Int must affect the strength of Pyromancies in some way?

I dont think Int affects it at all. After I upgraded the glove to +10, I was then able to upgrade it further with the trainer outside Quelaggs lair. It goes a further +5 there (new glove). I think my magic adjustment is around 290 odd now (not 100% the exact amount). The new glove is S rated but I dont think Int is changing it in any way. I've pumped points in but its doing nothing.

At the moment though, Pyro is seriously overpowered.

However, this could be something that will be nerfed seriously in NG+ as the resistances will probably scale hugely on the mobs and you'll be struggling to kill them. I'm not quite that far yet so I cant tell though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

Joined the Darkmoon Blades to get some PvP going.

Get raped every time i invade.

That slow + fog ring is just nasty

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

I have been reading online about the Pyro glove and its scaling with INT. I havent tested it myself but apparently you get no scaling of pyro spells with INT. What actually scales on the glove with INT is the striking attack you can do with the glove, which seems silly. MagicAdjust is what will increase your damage on pyro spells and cause there is only one pyro glove leveling that glove is the only way to get more DMG on your pyro's

I havent used pyro's much myself but it seems overpowered for something that doesnt require any stat allocation. But imagine if INT did actually increase your damage with pyro spells. One shotting bosses would be nothing new

Advertisement