Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dark Souls

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

SK1979 wrote: »
    I dont think Int affects it at all. After I upgraded the glove to +10, I was then able to upgrade it further with the trainer outside Quelaggs lair. It goes a further +5 there (new glove). I think my magic adjustment is around 290 odd now (not 100% the exact amount). The new glove is S rated but I dont think Int is changing it in any way. I've pumped points in but its doing nothing.

Looks like you're right:

No additional mat
    erials are required to re inforce them, so you only

need
    the required number of Souls. Having direct control over the

strength of the flame
    without having to increase your Intelligence

rating means that Pyromancy can be very effective for classes that
    do not have high Intelligence.

Why the Int scaling then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

I'm doing something wrong in this game level 32 and still havent been able to cast any magic! (i'm a warrior)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Big Knox

I'm doing something wrong in this game level 32 and still havent been able to cast any magic! (i'm a warrior)

Don't worry i'm SL 95 and don't even have an attunement slot!!

Probably should have looked into Pyromancy but tbh I hated magic in Demon's Souls it made the game ridiculously easy and wanted as much of a challenge as I could get this time.

Rescue the Pyro guy below Undead Burg (near the big bonfire). He'll sell you a flame, pyromancies and upgrades the flame too! Just get your Attunement to 14 and you can have two spells on the go.

penev10 wrote: »
    Rescue the Pyro guy below Undead Burg (near the big bonfire). He'll sell you a flame, pyromancies and upgrades the flame too! Just get your Attunement to 14 and you can have two spells on the go.
    If thats the guy in the barrel....we kind of had a fatal disagreement

• Advertisement

Oops:D I'm sure theres someone later in the game who'll sell pyro gear.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,543 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

lol

penev10 wrote: »
    Oops:D I'm sure theres someone later in the game who'll sell pyro gear.
    2smiggy wrote: »
    lol
    It wasn't myfault, He asked to be let outta the barrell...so i let him out....he took offence to the drake swordkey I used

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭OldManJenkin

Just a quick question, should I use my Titanite Chunks upgrading the lightning spear, or are the better lighting weapons out there?

Just a quick question, should I use my Titanite Chunks upgrading the lightning spear, or are the better lighting weapons out there?

The lightning spear is the only Lightning weapon you will find but you can turn any weapon you like into a lightning weapon.

Essentially the lightning spear you find is a normal spear that has been upgraded to +10 and then ascended at the blacksmith into a lightning weapon.

If you like the spear then absolutely upgrade it further you can get it to a max of +5. It's excellent for turtling as you can attack with your shield up but the obvious disadvantages are it doesn't have the best damage output and you can only attack one enemy at a time.

If you prefer swords and have enough strength to use it (16) id highly recommend making a lightning Claymore. Fantastic damage and has really good movesets with both R1 and R2 attacks. Has been my weapon of choice all the way through my first playthrough and im still using it in NG+ at level 95.

But as I said if you are going to use a lightning weapon (its recommended) pick a weapon that best suites your playstyle that you like and turn that into a lightning weapon!!

• Advertisement

Big Knox wrote: »
    If you prefer swords and have enough strength to use it (16) id highly recommend making a lightning Claymore. Fantastic damage and has really good movesets with both R1 and R2 attacks. Has been my weapon of choice all the way through my first playthrough and im still using it in NG+ at level 95.

My favourite moveset of any weapon is probably swords, so I think i'll take your advice on the lightning Claymore, and I have enough strength(21) to use it, although is that the best large sword in terms of base damage?

My favourite moveset of any weapon is probably swords, so I think i'll take your advice on the lightning Claymore, and I have enough strength(21) to use it, although is that the best large sword in terms of base damage?

It's not the highest base damage, the Zheihander and the Great Sword have higher base damage but they are very slow especially when used with a shield. The Claymore is definitely the best balance of the large swords. It has great range, solid damage a fantastic moveset and it can still break guards and stagger enemies when 2 handed!!

Try out the Zweihander though and see if you like it, you can pick it up in the graveyard beside firelink just run through and its near the back.

One thing to note, large swords will use more stamina so high END is recommended but honestly if you are melee END is the best stat in the game by a large margin so absolutely no harm getting it up. If you are going to use a lightning weapon dont put any more points into STR as it will be a waste. Put them into END / VIT instead!! :)

Big Knox wrote: »
    It's not the highest base damage, the Zheihander and the Great Sword have higher base damage but they are very slow especially when used with a shield. The Claymore is definitely the best balance of the large swords. It has great range, solid damage a fantastic moveset and it can still break guards and stagger enemies when 2 handed!!

Try out the Zweihander though and see if you like it, you can pick it up in the graveyard beside firelink just run through and its near the back.

One thing to note, large swords will use more stamina so high END is recommended but honestly if you are melee END is the best stat in the game by a large margin so absolutely no harm getting it up. If you are going to use a lightning weapon dont put any more points into STR as it will be a waste. Put them into END / VIT instead!! :)

OK, thanks for all the info, i'm definitely going to get a lightning Claymore now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

Kirby wrote: »
    Buy the key for the 20k. It's well worth it. There is a bonfire behind a destructible wall right beside the door you open with the key. Run down the stairs and there are four men you can kill over and over for souls. Two caster types, a lad with an axe and an invisible ninja.

If you have a strong weapon, you can 3 or 4 hit them. If you dont, lure them over to the cliff one at a time and push them off by attacking or using your kick. Then go to the bonfire to reset and do it again.

You can make about 20 levels in an hour before diminishing returns kick in. It's the business. :p

This is currently what I am doing now. I was level 19 I think when I got here. I've managed to increase a few since. I'm really not sure what to be investing my souls in though. I've been avoiding STR based on many posts here and building up my VIT and END.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

This is currently what I am doing now. I was level 19 I think when I got here. I've managed to increase a few since. I'm really not sure what to be investing my souls in though. I've been avoiding STR based on many posts here and building up my VIT and END.

If you are pure melee you can't ignore str entirely. The best shields in the game require a bit str to equip.

Havels shield is the best but needs 50 str which is too much imo. Greatshield of Artorias is probably second as it has 88 stability and needs 32 str I think. The Giant shield is 34str and this is probably the best all rounder as it has high stability and 60/75/75 for magic, fire and lightning.

If you can't get any of them, your best bet it probably the Eagle shield. It's not quite as good but i think the str requirements are lower and its ALOT lighter with a weight of 6. I use it when I want to be ultra light.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

Rang the second bell , :D

Did anyone have this happen to them
    The forest convenant i joined yesterday , when i went to fight sif and lost i came back and the conventant were after me and apprentaly i betrayed them , i didnt hit any of them and im wondering cause alvinas friends with sif is it that why i betrayed them ?

Just made it to anor lano or whatever it's called, should I of fought sif by now?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭tonydude

Has anyone gotten the mimic headgear, it gives 20% more souls and adds 200 to item discovery, only the mimics drop it. Downside is it reduces you health by 5 every second. It'd be a good farming item though. Its named a something '' of avarice'' ( like the ring of avarice in De S)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭tonydude

Just made it to anor lano or whatever it's called, should I of fought sif by now?

Hes in the forest area you can fight him at any time

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

If you have 25 or more endurance and a good shield, you can pretty much kill sif as a low leveler. The only danger is his double "twirl around like a lemon" attack. If you have the stamina to block it, hes a cakewalk.

Seeing as you are in Anor, you will probably kill sif in 60 seconds or less. :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

I still have this sitting here unplayed :(

With so many games coming in the next few weeks, I'm wondering how long this is and if I should wait for a lull in releases, don't like to start a game like this and play other stuff at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Danonino.

tonydude wrote: »
    Has anyone gotten the mimic headgear, it gives 20% more souls and adds 200 to item discovery, only the mimics drop it. Downside is it reduces you health by 5 every second. It'd be a good farming item though. Its named a something '' of avarice'' ( like the ring of avarice in De S)

:eek: this sounds awesome.... Where are these mimics?

Ive been sporting the butchers sack lately, duel weiding slash weapons and looking like scarecrow... god this game is awesome.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,433 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Just rang the second bell (spider lady is a piece of piss with Soul Arrows :)) and sorted out the boss in Demon Ruins (and those Taurus Demons as well). Blighttown wasn't too bad at all, TBH. I did have a ludicrous amount of moss on me though, and still have most of it :P

On to Sen next. SL 36-38 I think? I was beyond stupid - I didn't pay enough attention and only discovered yesterday attunement was a separate stat :pac: I have my precious third slot now, though, so all's good! That plus my Raw Longsword +5 and all is good. Any recommendations for fast (i.e. not clunky zweihanders) weapons to level up?

Also, I hate when you get sent to the main menu because of disconnect :mad: Has happened twice, and it's annnoooyyyinnng.

I must admit to being a bit amazed so many of you have found so much time to play! I'm hitting the 24 hour mark, and I feel like I've played an awful lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭SK1979

calex71 wrote: »
    I still have this sitting here unplayed :(

With so many games coming in the next few weeks, I'm wondering how long this is and if I should wait for a lull in releases, don't like to start a game like this and play other stuff at the same time.

I would say that the minimum time you would want to set aside to play this is about 40 hours. That should see you through one playthrough, if you're quick. If you want to mess around with a lot of things then its probably more like 60-80 hours for a playthrough. Then, if you're into playing through again (NG+), its 100+ hours.

tl;dr You will need to devote a bit of time to it to get rewarding results.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

I was farming for souls last night and I got myself up to about level 28. I thought I would be able to go into the Church in the Undead Parish and survive. I was wrong. I got destroyed the moment I walked in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭VenomIreland

Finally killed the Fang Boar. Got him 3 quarters killed by making him run into fire, but eventually he got stuck walking away from the wall and no coaxing would get him out so I spent the next 10 minutes chipping away at his health with my fists (for some reason my fists did more DPS than any other weapon I had).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

That painted world was quite profitable, ended up leaving with 80K souls and 4 humanity(those i earned not the ones i picked up) and i exited by mistake. nearly sh1t myself when i saw all the assasins in the church and me with 80k souls. Managed to get out, level up a bit and then do anor londo proper.

Then i bumped into the 2 blackknight archers. That was just plain mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Completionist

Danonino. wrote: »
    :eek: this sounds awesome.... Where are these mimics?

Ive been sporting the butchers sack lately, duel weiding slash weapons and looking like scarecrow... god this game is awesome.

There was one in sens fortress, right before the ring that gives 200 or so item discovery, And drops a Lightning Spear.

And from the wiki: Symbol of Avarice

I killed both of the butchers and neither dropped a sack, It gave me a sad:(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Was messing around last night, with humanity and item drop rate. Definately only scales when you're alive. Not by much though, with the ring and 4 humanity it only went from 200 to 232.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,172 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

My discovery rate has been around 300 for ages now. Not sure why though. I've no humanity, and i have the ring on, but it still seems pretty high.

Advertisement