Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dark Souls

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

I just joined the gravelord servant covenant , you get this badass sword that leaves the drake sword to shame

• Registered Users Posts: 26,388 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Question:

If it only takes one piece of humanity to get me back to human form why would I waster humanity getting past "1".

Also, I used humanity in the field when I was hollowed but didn't get my body back. But when I went to the bonfire and did it that way I did - did I waste humanity by using it in the field?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,433 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

noodler wrote: »
    Question:

If it only takes one piece of humanity to get me back to human form why would I waster humanity getting past "1".

Also, I used humanity in the field when I was hollowed but didn't get my body back. But when I went to the bonfire and did it that way I did - did I waste humanity by using it in the field?

When you're in human form you can kindle bonfires for an extra humanity, which doubles the amount of esteus flasks you can get by resting at the bonfire. You can kindle more than once (I think) once you get the Rite of Kindling from Pinwheel.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Question:

higher humanity increases rop rate and i believe some weapons scale with humanity.

Kiith actually oops, mine wasn't 200 it was 300 and 332. Your base is 100, the ring adds 200.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Bonesy.

Getting this today :) Any tips I should know?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,433 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Bonesy. wrote: »

Expect the unexpected.

Superglue your finger to the shield button whenever you're entering new territory.

Learn the difference between light and strong attacks as soon as you can.

Relax, take your time, and don't push your luck.

Just general advice. Specifics will only make sense when you start playing.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Okay can someone explain humanity and the whole idea of reverse hollowing/kindling?

Stev_o wrote: »
    Okay can someone explain humanity and the whole idea of reverse hollowing/kindling?

Reverse hollowing requires one humanity (that number beside your health bar) which can be gotten in various ways: using humanity items, killing lots of enemies in a row, being in the same place as someone who kindles online etc...

When you use reverse hollowing, you're in human form (as opposed to soul form). You know you're in human form when the number beside your health bar is white rather than grey. The differences are many: you can call other players or NPCs to help you out through messages on the grounds, you can invade other players worlds, your item discovery rate improves, some weapons are more powerful etc...

Kindling is when you improve the strength of a bonfire. When you rest there, you will get 10 Esteus flasks rather than the usual 5. It costs one humanity to kindle when you're in human form.

So in practice: you're at a bonfire with a one beside your health bar, and one humanity in your inventory. Use the item and you'll have two humanity. Use the reverse hollowing option, and you'll be in human form with one humanity left. Use that to kindle the bonfire and you'll be down to zero.

There are other uses too. Breaking covenants and getting the NPC in New Londo to uncurse you cost humanity, for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

Should I be kindling the nearest bonfire whenever I can? Or should I try to save my humanity items?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,172 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I didn't kindle all the bonfires. Just some of the main ones (Firelink, Undead Burge, Anor Londo etc...).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Bonesy.

And is this harder then Demon Souls?

Kindle at a fire where you'll need the 10 flasks or where a fire is miles away from the next fire.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

Kiith wrote: »
    My discovery rate has been around 300 for ages now. Not sure why though. I've no humanity, and i have the ring on, but it still seems pretty high.

What is this ring everyone is talking about?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

Be Patient, when you go into each area find a killing system that works and keep repeating once you die. Level every chance you can get.

Don't be dismayed in the indeed parish/burg the game moves a lot faster once your out of there. Take the Skeleton key when you create your character I found it very helpful

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,172 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

What is this ring everyone is talking about?

Thanks

Covetous Gold Ring, which adds 200 to your Item Discovery. Makes grinding and finding rare items much, much easier. Easy enough to get as well. Try get it before taking on any Black Knights.

http://darksouls.wikidot.com/covetous-gold-serpent-ring

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

tonydude wrote: »
    Has anyone gotten the mimic headgear, it gives 20% more souls and adds 200 to item discovery, only the mimics drop it. Downside is it reduces you health by 5 every second. It'd be a good farming item though. Its named a something '' of avarice'' ( like the ring of avarice in De S)

Wow this sounds awesome. There is a shield with HP regen also. Its a one time drop from a NPC black phantom (dunno if 100% drop rate). I missed it on my first game but deffo gonna attempt to get it on my NG+ It may well offset the HP loss off that headgear. Also there is a curved greatsword called Sever that has a HP leech effect on hit. And then the evil eye ring.

Gonna have my Item Find ring equiped on every mimic fight now :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

Level up your VIT and END early on.

Get a long bow asap (merchant in the Undead Burg) - You'll need 14 DEX - this will let you pick off stronger enemies form a distance.

Also get a pyromancy flame asap (which will probabaly be a bit later on underneath the Undead Burg) - You'll need an Attunement of 10 to use a spell - this helps with some of the harder enemies.

Dont buy any weapons or Armour early on as you'll get plenty of drops from enemies as you play.

Also there is a curved greatsword called Sever that has a HP leech effect on hit. And then the evil eye ring.

Gonna have my Item Find ring equiped on every mimic fight now :D

Evil eye hp return is pretty paltry.

BTW was planting the stone to give help with quelegg the other night and got summoned and we got invaded and there was no sign of the guy but he was in the cave waiting for us, smart b*stard burst the 2 sacks and while our stamina\shields got knocked to crap by the worms he waded in and massacred us.

Some other invader did some roll and instant backstab with a katana last night, still trying to figure out what he did.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭SK1979

Any tips for getting Humanity? I've used all mine over the last couple of nights (mainly pvp'ing in the Forest) and am struggling to actually get any.

It just seems so random getting it, I kill loads of dudes in a row but never seem to get any from that.

I think there might be a few in the Painted World, I have that place to go to so might go there tonight.

Joined the Chaos Covenant so would like to get enough to get the Chaos Firestorm (20 needed afaik) spell to check it out. :)

Just drop the whitestone a few times and help a few dudes kill a boss. Or go back to the sewers and farm those rats just down from the bonfire. Rats have a decent enough drop rate.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭Caoimhín

Hey lads,

I have never come across a game as tough as this. Im stuck in the asylum, the boss just beats the shíte out of me every time.

Is there any way of levelling up (im stuck at 5)? Will grinding level me up enough to beat this fecker.

Oh, im a Knight with the Goddess's blessing as gift.

Sorry, its probably answered in this thread somewhere, just way too much reading for my poor melted brain.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭moonboy52

Caoimhín wrote: »
    Hey lads,

I have never come across a game as tough as this. Im stuck in the asylum, the boss just beats the shíte out of me every time.

Is there any way of levelling up (im stuck at 5)? Will grinding level me up enough to beat this fecker.

Sorry, its probably answered in this thread somewhere, just way too much reading for my poor melted brain.

Most people say pick the Master key. So i would re-roll and do that.

When you meet the guy first, you leg it into the left corridor ( you most likely have done this ).

Get your shield etc and then take him on. (keep shield up at all times until you see an opening)

Jump from the top ledge and press R1 as you fall and this will take a quarter of his health.

just roll when he goes to hit and keep yourself locked on.

When he jumps, try to run away.

There are loads of youtube videos, so try to emulate those guys.

Keep persevering as the reward is great when you finally beat a boss :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭tonydude

Question:

Humanity also restores all your health

Hey lads,

Have to agree with what CAO said.

He dies in three hits with the basic Axe I had at time as long as they are falling (and holding R1) hits. First time I faced him (Friday) I did;t see the ladder beside the entrance which leads up to the two annoying archers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭Caoimhín

moonboy52 wrote: »

Jump from the top ledge and press R1 as you fall and this will take a quarter of his health.

just roll when he goes to hit and keep yourself locked on.

When he jumps, try to run away.

There are loads of youtube videos, so try to emulate those guys.

Keep persevering as the reward is great when you finally beat a boss :)

Ta, thing is, just on or two hits of his hammer and im dead. Can i level up just by grinding? ie, just fighting all enemies to build up mu level?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Danonino.

There was one in sens fortress, right before the ring that gives 200 or so item discovery, And drops a Lightning Spear.

And from the wiki: Symbol of Avarice

I killed both of the butchers and neither dropped a sack, It gave me a sad

I ended up switching the sack, Now Im sporting the hollow thief hood, even though its beyond terrible :D I then read that if I traded the sack with snuggly I would get a demon titanite shard, but instead I got a huge demons hammer thing :eek: Its the weapon used by the tutorial boss... I have nowhere near the strenght to use it but its epic looking.
    Cant remember the stats of the top of my head, but I was comparing it to that dragon axe the gaping dragon dropped.

Getting this today Any tips I should know?

Take your time in the asylum part (tutorial), read the signs and expect to die a lot :) This could take you ages if like me you never played demon souls, but just take your time and if you die while holding souls make it a mission to collect them back by touching your bloodstain where you died. (it also will have a funky green glow so its hard to miss).

After the boss fight your finished in the asylum and when you end up in firelink shrine (it'll be green and relaxing for once) explore and collect items etc but always be ready to leg it back to the bonfire :cool:.

My best advice:
    When your ready to move on from firelink shrine, start with the undead burg, Thats when facing the guy in chainmail at the bonfire your heading right and up the long steps along the cliff and into the aqueduct you can see up there. I tried to start underground and died countless times against ghosts that are unbeatable that early in the game. So I guess I would have liked someone to point the way.

None of the major demons have dropped anything for me so far:

The first One
    Cappa
    Butterfly
    Gaping
    Gargoyles

Not a thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Big Knox

Caution at all times, move slowly. If you are going melee (sword + shield) Endurance is by far your best stat so level it.

Buy a bow in the undead burg and pull enemies to you when they are visible dont rush into them. Shoot them and they will come one at a time!!

Shield up at all times and only attack when there's an opening i.e the enemy attacks and misses or they attack and bounce off your shield!!
    Hey lads,

If you are struggling in the Asylum you are in trouble ill be honest :p Don't give up however, the starting classes play a big difference in the difficulty curve at the start of the game.

If you want to go melee and use a sword / axe and shield then I would recommend picking the Bandit. Great starting weapon and shield and very good stats and armour!!

If you want to pick a caster I would recommend Pyromancer which starts with a decent fire spell and has decent melee which you will need!!

Restart and pick one of the above if you cant beat the Asylum boss. Shield up when facing him, lock on always and then circle strafe to the right and try stay behind him. Only attack after he does and if he flies straight up into the air back away until he lands!!
    Ta, thing is, just on or two hits of his hammer and im dead. Can i level up just by grinding? ie, just fighting all enemies to build up mu level?

You can't grind in the tutorial would be pointless, just concentrate on getting the boss down!!

Good Luck and ask for help whenever you need, lots of good advice on this thread!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭tonydude

The first One
    Cappa : Key to Depths
    Butterfly: Soul of moonlight butterfly
    Gaping: Cut tail off for Dragon King great axe (other rare drops also )
    Gargoyles :Cut tail off for Gargoyle tail axe ( other rare drops also )

Not a thing.

there you go

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Big Knox

The first One
    Cappa
    Butterfly
    Gaping
    Gargoyles

Not a thing.

Taurus and Capra you can get their drops later in the game, the Butterfly doesn't drop anything but Gaping Dragon and the Bell Gargoyles only drop their weapons when you cut their tails off.

Rule of thumb for future if it has a tail cut it off for phat loots!!! :pac:

Advertisement