Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dark Souls

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

in anor londor, at the mist, says its sealed by the great lords power...how do I unseal?

Nevermind figured it out. Crystal halbard seems powerful, 242 damage!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

Flicking through the offical guide, it is truly magnificent. Hardcover is a touch of class.

Got it in Gamestop for 16.99 which is 3euro off RRP

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭tonydude

penev10 wrote: »
    Flicking through the offical guide, it is truly magnificent. Hardcover is a touch of class.
    Got it in Gamestop for 16.99 which is 3euro off RRP
    Its an amazing guide alright id recommend it to any hardcore fan, details all the npc characters and where to find them and everything on the covenants . 17 is a steal . Going to put some good hours into this and the weekend . Stupid work ruining my dark souls fun :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

Any advice for killing Gargoyles in the Undead Parish?

I've been using the Halbert, as I like the extra range it offers over the Drake Sword. Although the Drake Sword does more damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Danonino.

Big Knox wrote: »
    Just a note on that covenant you joined, it has a pretty serious consequence if you break it you might want to look it up!! :P

Yeah head to Sen's next you're well over the required level to clear it and it's the correct route to progress. You could kill Sif now if you wanted but personally i'd leave him until after Sens and Anor Londo!!

LOL oh **** just looked it up and well, for one I killed the Egg dude :rolleyes:

I honestly didnt hear him utter a word, there was no talk prompt either, I seen him turn towards me at point blank range so I cut him up :pac: I lucked out though and he dropped an egg vermathingy so Im happy about that. At least if i break the covenany I wont end up an egghead lol.

I guess I should have waited and read up on the ins and outs of the covenant but I guess then I wouldnt have the fun mess ups like this :o

TO SENS!!?! *runs screaming with scimitar drawn*

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,300 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

Any advice for killing Gargoyles in the Undead Parish?

I've been using the Halbert, as I like the extra range it offers over the Drake Sword. Although the Drake Sword does more damage.

Use the Drake, shield up, get in close and hack away(make sure you hack the tail off the first one).
    Have the first killed before the second arrives and get in close again, stay behind - hack away - they're not that hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭OldManJenkin

I have no Transient Curses, and no Cursed Weapons, so should I just buy some Transient Curses from the Undead Merchant, and while killing ghosts equip the Covetous Gold Serpent Ring and hope they drop more curses/a cursed dagger, or should I just go get curses by Cursed Frogs?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Big Knox

I have no Transient Curses, and no Cursed Weapons, so should I just buy some Transient Curses from the Undead Merchant, and while killing ghosts equip the Covetous Gold Serpent Ring and hope they drop more curses/a cursed dagger, or should I just go get curses by Cursed Frogs?

There's 2 at the start of New Londo before the first bridge, break the vase with the body in it!!

After that it's up to you, you can buy some about 4 will let you clear the area but if you die you could be in trouble.

Or you could do what I did, rush in up the steps follow the path and get through the fog gate and kick down the shortcut ladder without wasting any curses and die.

Once that's done rush the shortcut, climb the ladder follow the path and go into the building with the fireplace pop a curse 2 hand a weapon and kill the entire group in one go!! If you have any AoE spells it will work a threat!!

Again though that is risky but it works wonders if you can pull it off and only costs 1 curse a go. Up to you, slow and steady or reckless mayhem!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

Buy one transient curse if you dont have any. There are pick up curses through that whole area and the ghosts drop them also. If you havent cleared Anor Londo yet dont even bother going to this area yet as its not fully unlocked yet, unless your looking for certain loot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

Finally defeated the four kings, i didnt know poise has a huge strategy to beat them.. Victory dance wooooo suck it

• Advertisement

Kiith wrote: »
    Anyone got a good magic build, or have any experience as a magic character?

I have a level 37 pure mage character. After i cleared the game on my main i did abit of NG+ up to Blighttown then made another char. So far i have just been pumping END so i have loads of stamina for dodging as i dont use a shield. I use a catalyst in my left hand and the Estoc in my right. Also increased my stats to use the Estoc (obviously) and raised INT to 20. At first the damage isnt fantastic, but once you get the boost ring from that Sorc you save and the armour from that girl trapped in the Gold Crystal Golem (the headgear increases magic dmg) your damage really starts to increase.

I dont have a build planned out as such, so im just playing it as i go. Gonna hit 40 with END then raise INT to about 40 also. If you wanted a really effective char maybe using all magic schools would be really good, but im just gonna avoid pyro and holy spells just...because, ya know. Not gonna increase VIT neither :D

F1ngers wrote: »
    Use the Drake, shield up, get in close and hack away(make sure you hack the tail off the first one).
    Have the first killed before the second arrives and get in close again, stay behind - hack away - they're not that hard.

Not that hard?

Man, they are kicking my ass. I'm level 50 I think and I last about 3 seconds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Completionist

Not that hard?

The npc you can summon did all the work for me, I barely even touched them! You should get his help.

Not that hard?

Level 50? Hmmm

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Not that hard?

:eek: How are you still on the Gargoyles at level 50? When you finally get them down you are going to find the depths, Blightown and the swamp so, so easy as you are way overleveled for how early you are in the game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

Right thats 2 npc killed , one by accident the other i thoughht deserved it ,

Now i been pumping serious hours into this and i never played so long daily in my life

Leaving me dreaming that im playing it still while i sleep

So im taking a break from it for the weekend

Time for a cool down

Clocked in 48 hours lvl 63

Level 50? Hmmm

Yep. I was farming souls in the Darkroot Garden. I bought the key to the door from the blacksmith.

** Edit **

Just double checked. Level 51.

VIT 27
    END 29
    STR 19
    DEX 16

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Danonino.

Right thats 2 npc killed , one by accident the other i thoughht deserved it ,

Now i been pumping serious hours into this and i never played so long daily in my life

Leaving me dreaming that im playing it still while i sleep

So im taking a break from it for the weekend

Time for a cool down

Clocked in 48 hours lvl 63

Taking a break....

I can't put into words my frustration with this Gargoyle fight right now so I'm going to bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

Not that hard?

I was level sixteen and reaaaally bad when I killed them. Are you human? If you are, you can summon help.

• Advertisement

I can't put into words my frustration with this Gargoyle fight right now so I'm going to bed.

I dont know how your having trouble with him at level 51. Just keep your shield up and constantly strafe to his left. He has a 3 hit combo that if your close enough to him and moving to is left he will miss you with the second swing, then you punish him for it. Even switch your weapon to 2handed and wail on him. 2handing a weapon has a higher chance (less hits) to make him flinch, and when he flinches you can do even more damage as he is stunned...

I beat them with a broadsword +3 at about level 18. If your using the Drakesword it should be easy as that thing does about 170-200 DMG per hit 2handed at that stage. Your best bet is to try and take the first out to as low health as possible before the second one arrives. When the second one arrives he will mostly be using flame breath attacks, which will cover the first gargoyle who will mostly be using melee attacks. At this stage you really need to go on the defensive and pick your strikes very carefully, cause if you get reckless the other one will hit you in the back. Only attack when the gargoyles are seperated.

If all this fails.

Get humanity. Use it. Go to a bonfire and reverse hollow. You will find it difficult to find anyone to summon because your Soul Level is so high and most people at 50 are on to Anor Londo by then. So at the door before the the fight you can summon Solaire. Dont let him do all the work or he will die, but he is a good tank and will tank one of the gargoyles for you which should make this fight very easy.

If still you cant beat them go up the ladders towards the fog gate. Face the wall opposite the doorway to the boss and on the ground write
    "I cant take this..."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭Caoimhín

Danonino. wrote: »
    You should have a broadsword. Where you picked up your shield to get past the first archer, at the top of that path you should have picked up your sword. You can get back there really easy, instead of heading up the stairs where the ball had rolled down head the other way and down the stairs there.

Thanks Danonino, I was just about to throw in the towel when I found the broadsword. Went kicking some ass then. I must have grinded up a bit during my ordeal as i killed the zombies with one hit, the Knight with two and the boss with 3.
    Cant wait to get stuck into this tomorrow. Oh the joys of getting a spinal fusion done, 7 weeks off to play this and the new Elder Scrolls :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Big Knox

Yep. I was farming souls in the Darkroot Garden. I bought the key to the door from the blacksmith.

** Edit **

Just double checked. Level 51.

VIT 27
    END 29
    STR 19
    DEX 16

How in god's name are you level 51 on the gargoyles??? I think I was 61 when I was on the last boss!!! :eek:

If you think the gargoyles are hard at that level wait until you get to Smough and Ornstein although you'll probably be max level at that point!! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

Big Knox wrote: »
    How in god's name are you level 51 on the gargoyles??? I think I was 61 when I was on the last boss!!! :eek:

If you think the gargoyles are hard at that level wait until you get to Smough and Ornstein although you'll probably be max level at that point!! :p
    ah cock think I'm just before them in anor londo

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

ah cock think I'm just before them in anor londo

There's an npc summon on one of the set of steps behind the entrance summon him and another, its an easy enough fight then.

Any tips on lautrec aka not yurt and the other 2 dudes with him. his shotels are a pain in the ass.

Caoimhín wrote: »
    Oh the joys of getting a spinal fusion done, 7 weeks off to play this and the new Elder Scrolls :)

Lucky devil (not really).

I was playing last night, went about a step too far in the depths, fell down past the cleaver guy (who was actually not chopping meat, he was stuck on a ledge near the entrance to the depths, so he was easy to hit with an arrow. Then I went down to where the chopped meat was and noticed a shortcut behind it. Went down there, and saw a GIANT RAT. Like bigger than the other rats. Which were also pretty big.

That's one of the things I love about this game. You sort of find yourself in situations where you are unsure whether to try or not. Should you drop that giant Rat? what if he is tougher than he looks? Amazing stuff. I don't get it from another game.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,172 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Any tips on lautrec aka not yurt and the other 2 dudes with him. his shotels are a pain in the ass.

This was a tough fight. His weapons went straight through my shields. After a few attempts, i cheaped out and led them on a merry chase up and around the cathedral. Must have looped it about 30 times, managed to pick off the Mage first, and then just slowly chipped away at Lautrec's health. Using a Spear (Lightning preferably), if you run up the left stairs, you can hit him through the railings as he's running up. Then run around and back to there. Rinse and repeat.

Not a fun fight, but i wanted that bonfire keepers soul back.
    Snakeblood wrote: »
    Should you drop that giant Rat? what if he is tougher than he looks?
    You should, and he is :P

This was a tough fight. His weapons went straight through my shields. After a few attempts, i cheaped out and led them on a merry chase up and around the cathedral. Must have looped it about 30 times, managed to pick off the Mage first, and then just slowly chipped away at Lautrec's health. Using a Spear (Lightning preferably), if you run up the left stairs, you can hit him through the railings as he's running up. Then run around and back to there. Rinse and repeat.

Not a fun fight, but i wanted that bonfire keepers soul back.

You should, and he is :P

Oh, I wailed on him alright. Then I went around and I think I was actually going the wrong way, because all the markers on the ground were warning me about stuff I'd already encountered. Like these blobs fall on me and then I find a thing saying 'WARNING LOOK UP'.

I Killed many rats.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,012 ✭✭✭Wossack

spent about an hour trying to kill the black knight in dark root basin (the one in the tower shortcut back to undead parish), finally got him though :P and he dropped that fancy ring that boosts equipment load, so v happy :)
    after that fight, Im also alot better at riposting, which is so good to get a feel for - 1shotting alot of the stuff that would normally hold me up a bit now :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

No cheaper than casting death clould in demons and having a bite to eat while old king doran slowly dies. Fecking shotels going through shields it was the one reason i rarely if ever fought yurt fairly in demons. doesn't seem possible to riposte the shotel as well. Very interestd in the ring laurec has. the inability to heal is a major pain too.

Advertisement