Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dark Souls

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Danonino.

Kirby wrote: »
    As did I. I'm wagering its pretty common as he looks EXACTLY like the bad guys....and he walks towards you! :p

I like the fact that it auto-saves after everything you do in the game because in 99% of the games people play, when they feck up, they just restart their game and do the last 5 minutes over again. It feels artificial.

It's refreshing not to be able to do that.

I killed him too :D

Also just to say what you said about autosave is why i think this game has sucked me in so much. It reminds me of the Fire Emblem games, where if one of your party dies... thats it, they dead, no coming back, no reload, you just lost a character you might have spent days leveling up :) and it was brilliant because of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

It's like they want you to kill that undead merchant. He's sitting there, hidden among boxes. Couldnt get the drake sword coz i couldnt buy any arrows after i killed him. Later on in the game at like SL 80 i thought id get the drake sword to see what it was like. Early game would have been SOO much easier with it :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

What is going on! Finally able to put a few hours into the game today after barely playing it for the week.

I'm in that forest area where i buy the key and I've joined the rangers which i regret. I've thrown on the ring and I keep invading people in the forest!

The worst part is they keep hammering me! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Right so.

I encountered the Centipede boss down in the lava. First time so I was cautious. I waited for him to strike and poked him a few times. I was wittling him down but it was slow. So i moved in to get more hits in and he picked me up and threw me in the lava! :p He kept doing it and was kicking my ass.

I was cursing my impatience as I had no health left and he was going to kill me and then he got stuck on a three root. So I ended up killing him first time with my bow from the other side of the room as he was stuck and couldn't move :D

I'm a bit concerned about fighting him in NG+ because I can't see that happening again and I didn't develop a system so it could be dodgy next time.

Question, this lava room he was in.....is it a dead end? There seems to be nothing else in here. Is it? And how do I open that massive shortcut with the big doors near the centipede boss? It keeps telling its closed by some contraption. I've killed everyting else down here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

Kirby wrote: »
    Right so.

I encountered the Centipede boss down in the lava. First time so I was cautious. I waited for him to strike and poked him a few times. I was wittling him down but it was slow. So i moved in to get more hits in and he picked me up and threw me in the lava! :p He kept doing it and was kicking my ass.

I was cursing my impatience as I had no health left and he was going to kill me and then he got stuck on a three root. So I ended up killing him first time with my bow from the other side of the room as he was stuck and couldn't move :D

I'm a bit concerned about fighting him in NG+ because I can't see that happening again and I didn't develop a system so it could be dodgy next time.

Question, this lava room he was in.....is it a dead end? There seems to be nothing else in here. Is it? And how do I open that massive shortcut with the big doors near the centipede boss? It keeps telling its closed by some contraption. I've killed everyting else down here.

You need to be rank 2 in the Sister of Chaos covenant to unlock that door your talking about, its a shortcut to where you going now. The normal route is in the Centepede room, just follow the path left as you walk into the room. Doorway is abit hidden but you should find it if you hug the wall

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Big Knox

It seems the pvp level is 120 yet again for Dark Souls with dark Anor Londo being the main area for it. Was watching a stream last night with a guy who went human and stood on the bridge in Anor. He was getting invaded almost constantly, there was zero wait time. 120 seems high, but with the item dupe glitch all people have to do is glitch to get massive amounts of souls and they will be 120 in no time.

There is even glitches that allow you to use spells that you dont even need to have the required FAI or INT to use them. You use a Pyro Glove then switch from the pyro spell to any other to use it. Plus there is zero variety in character builds at 120. High VIT and END, just the necessary reqs to hold the weapon of your choice and a Lightning Weapon! God im so angry! Uugh

I had planned to make a pvp character but at the moment almost everything regarding pvp is so ****ed it feels pointless. Maybe im over analysing this or something but...yeah

Yeah the pvp level will be at least 120. Im 110 at the moment and have been pvping in the Painted World it's the go to spot for invasions right now because it's optional you can leave Priscilla alive and get invaded constantly so it's now a hot spot!! Go there in human form and you will be invaded constantly.

Anor Londo if you kill Gwnnivere (sp?) you get put in the Darkmoon book and you can constantly be invaded even if Ornstein and Smough are dead so that works aswell.

But yes what you said is true, the best pvp build right now is 40 END 90 VIT + a lightning weapon. So sad they really need to fix it. I have 58 STR now and can use Smough's Hammer but there's no point, even my +15 Demon Great Axe buffed with fire or lightning isen't really worth using I get better results pvping with lightning claymore.

It's stopped my playing tbh, will give it a rest until the patch and see if that fixes things. I have no interest in playing a caster!!

I have kinda lost the will the play also. I want to make a new char and improve upon the build i had in mind with my main char and bring it into PvP but its just not really viable in pvp :mad: and the caster alt that i made has gone kinda stale already.

Think ill go play...Gears of War...or something :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭tonydude

Farming humanity off those rats is taking forever, 11 at the mo. Need 30 :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

tonydude wrote: »
    Farming humanity off those rats is taking forever, 11 at the mo. Need 30 :mad:

its alot easier to get items of enemies bodies when you are wearing the gold serpent ring

its alot easier to get items of enemies bodies when you are wearing the gold serpent ring

I know i have it equipped, trying to get the mimic sack helm

• Advertisement

wheres the best place to be summoned to help people im rank 63 and have only been summomed twice in 50 hours

tonydude wrote: »
    wheres the best place to be summoned to help people im rank 63 and have only been summomed twice in 50 hours

Maybe in the painted world? Or before 4 Kings. I cleared the game at SL 68 so maybe at the final boss also?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭SK1979

Quick question. Did you all kill all the people who keep the fire keepers souls? Like the girl in londo? Do you kill her to get a soul and therefore increase your estus flask?

You need to be rank 2 in the Sister of Chaos covenant to unlock that door your talking about, its a shortcut to where you going now. The normal route is in the Centepede room, just follow the path left as you walk into the room. Doorway is abit hidden but you should find it if you hug the wall

Yeah I found it after a few minutes. To be honest, its not good level design to keep it hidden away like that. I searched the room twice and missed it twice. I'm an observant enough lad so this kind of pissed me off. Oh well.

Killed the Chaos boss down there with the weak heart. I figured it out really quickly but then died like 3 times trying to make the jump.

I've got to be honest, the little things are starting to annoy me now. Running, rolling and jumping should NOT be the same button. Seriously, thats just poor design.

Also the lock on system is not good. You try and switch targets when fighting multiple enemies and it....just...won't...do it half the time.

But worse still, is on big enemies like giants. It locks on to their body, but they are tall so the only place to hit them is their feet and legs. But because your guy is locked onto their middle, he swings and misses the legs. The only way to hit them is to lock off......but then you cant see them attack. And because the only way to block and walk backwards is to lock on, you get hit when locked off. Its frustrating. Its difficulty that is not genuine because it's not intentional.

Dont get me started on the frame rate. Something like that should never make it through testing. Blightown, the swamp, New londo, Demon ruins....they all have chronic fps drops.

I still like the game alot but cetain things bug me.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,845 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Just bet the game as i type the credits roll, wow simply wow this makes demons souls look like a test run goty ? No game of the ****in century, i had to beat it it was ruling my life. Kinda wish the bosses were better though

Roll on batman now :pac::pac:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,300 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

Roll on batman NG+ now :pac::pac:

FYP...:p

F1ngers wrote: »
    FYP...:p

Ill be back to it , NG++++ :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

I'm a huge fan of RPG and Adventure games so I decided to buy this after reading about it on the Gamespot website. Two weeks later I have the buyer's remorse:( This is quite simple THE most FRUSTRATING game I have EVER played. I played some toughies in the last twenty years but this one pushed my buttons like nothing else.

I defeated the Taurus boss and got past the giant boar after several insanity inducing sessions before taking a wrong turn, getting slaughtered by a Black Knight and having to go all the way back to the f**king bonfire in the Undead Burg again for the umpteenth time. I can handle rock-hard enemies but the main thing that gets my goat is that the restart points are far FAR too cruel. I'm of the opinion that game developers deliberately add in cruel restart points to compensate for a short game. I'm not sure if it's the case here although after being dumped back to the same bonfire and having to repetitively trudge through the same area over and over I just lost the head and switched it off for good. I literally pulled clumps of hair out, I've a big scab on my knuckle after cutting it from punching my controller, AND I was sitting downstairs after my last session literally shaking and almost ready to burst into tears. Sorry but a game that does that to me is no longer fun and not worth playing again:(

Now Divinity 2 The Dragon Knight Saga was the last RPG I completed before starting Dark Souls. That was far more fun. It had a well balanced Difficulty structure, you could save your game at any point AND it was packed full of tounge-in-cheek humor. It was a joy to play compared to this frustrating pile of dung. I'm doing myself a favour and trading it in during the week for something more enjoyable. I must join my local Xtra Vision so that I can get back to renting games to try them out before forking out big money on them. I feel like a plank for buying this:( Oh well, you live and learn:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

I liked Divinity 2 as well , but the combat in dark souls is way way better imo.

Sucks that you don't like it though :(

Also there is actually a bonfire right beside the black knight in the tower (through the gate, you need to pass the dragon). And the one in the church you can get to from firelink shrine down the elevator.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,300 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

I'm a huge fan of RPG and Adventure games so I decided to buy this after reading about it on the Gamespot website. Two weeks later I have the buyer's remorse:( This is quite simple THE most FRUSTRATING game I have EVER played. I played some toughies in the last twenty years but this one pushed my buttons like nothing else.

I defeated the Taurus boss and got past the giant boar after several insanity inducing sessions before taking a wrong turn, getting slaughtered by a Black Knight and having to go all the way back to the f**king bonfire in the Undead Burg again for the umpteenth time. I can handle rock-hard enemies but the main thing that gets my goat is that the restart points are far FAR too cruel. I'm of the opinion that game developers deliberately add in cruel restart points to compensate for a short game. I'm not sure if it's the case here although after being dumped back to the same bonfire and having to repetitively trudge through the same area over and over I just lost the head and switched it off for good. I literally pulled clumps of hair out, I've a big scab on my knuckle after cutting it from punching my controller, AND I was sitting downstairs after my last session literally shaking and almost ready to burst into tears. Sorry but a game that does that to me is no longer fun and not worth playing again:(

There is a bonfire in undead parish, you missed it on your way to the boar.
    There is also a shortcut there, so you can go back and forth between the parish and the burg with relative ease.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,172 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Wall of understandable rage text

There are times i feel the same. It can be difficult in a really good way, but it can also be really difficult in a cheap way. When it works, it works well. But when it doesn't, it's bloody annoying. I've not played much in a few days, as i got sick of being angry at certain things.

Not going to trade it in though, as it's still a great game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

I literally pulled clumps of hair out, I've a big scab on my knuckle after cutting it from punching my controller, AND I was sitting downstairs after my last session literally shaking and almost ready to burst into tears.
    :eek:

Indeed. I listed flaws that irk me something rotten on the last page. But its still a good game.

Sgt Hartman......the bridge with the red drake on it. You go under that and past the three rats to get to the boar. You know the place.

Well before the three rats, while you are still under the dragon, head downstairs and "kick" off a ladder. The ladder leads down to the undead burg fire. Its a shortcut and now when you die.....you just climb the ladder. Its shorter.

The hardest aspect of this game is finding the bonfires and locating the shortcuts, thats it. If your walking around not exploring the areas, your not going to find these. The main thing you must achieve is to have the shortcut found before you battle the end level boss, so if you die it'll be straight forward to get back there. Every level has this mechanic in it, so dont give up, the game expands 10 fold once you get out of undead parish/Berg. I've a feeling you'll love your first time in depths/blighttown Muhahahaha ( sry had to be done )

I'm now up to 40 hours of gameplay and I don't even know if I'm anywhere near half way! Spent most of it leveling and exploring. Definitely my game of the year now, despite the fact it's been causing me so much heart ache (especially now that I'm double cursed with a quarter of the health). Skyrim needs to be absolutely awesome now to topple it.

Listening to the soundtrack right now , my god some of the best orchestra music.
    But i agreed with tony , i didnt find the game hard , its all bout studing your enemies and there patterns , making sure you are well equip and you are not low on estus flask.
    Exporation is a major facture , finding gear and weapons that will make your journey much easier.
    The game doesnt punish you harshly.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Finally got around to spending some time with this yesterday. Breezed through the first hour then spent the next two battling the skeletons. As a pyro I was getting it down, using my fire to take out the first two, then a combination of fire and axe to beat the second pair before always getting destroyed by the giant skeleton and his two little mates. I knew it was hard but I didn't know how hard.

Then, while mentally getting ready to try again by the bonfire I rolled forward and saw the steps down underground.

From the main bonfire at Firelight where the crow drops you, head to the right up the stairs. Leads you to the undead burg. Thats where you want to be. Stay away from the graveyard and cave.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Big Knox

Finally got around to spending some time with this yesterday. Breezed through the first hour then spent the next two battling the skeletons. As a pyro I was getting it down, using my fire to take out the first two, then a combination of fire and axe to beat the second pair before always getting destroyed by the giant skeleton and his two little mates. I knew it was hard but I didn't know how hard.

Then, while mentally getting ready to try again by the bonfire I rolled forward and saw the steps down underground.

Avoid the graveyard it's a high level area as Kirby said head up the stairs that winds around the cliff face into the Undead Burg!!

Advertisement