Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dark Souls

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,561 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

penev10 wrote: »
    I wonder does the invader get the souls as well as the host. If so it could be an easy way to do some soul farming seeing how the enemies don't retaliate!

its the first time i have seen it, he had to trust me, and vise versa ! the all important bow !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Big Knox

Tempted to go play Demon Souls to see how it compares to Dark Souls. Watched some gameplay videos and the gameplay seems a hell of alot faster than Dark Souls. Ill get around to it some day and try play the game as a heavy armour only character. Might be tough with the lack of poise in that game though.

I have made 2 characters since the patch and was currently playing 2 characters pre-patch. So im kinda playing 4 characters at the moment :mad: Why cant i stick with one! Funny thing is i had an idea for a new character just before posting this. INT/FAI build! Talisman in my left hand, catalyst in my right! No weapons or shields.

I thought you had at the very least cleared Demon's YSML, fair play for doing so well in Dark if that's the case. But more importantly yes definitely go back and play through it. I love Dark Soul's but i'll be honest and say it didn't have the same effect on me as Demon's did and I still hold it slightly above Dark Souls if i'm honest!!

I do still have plans to make a new character though, god damn Skyrim!! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

Big Knox wrote: »
    I thought you had at the very least cleared Demon's YSML, fair play for doing so well in Dark if that's the case. But more importantly yes definitely go back and play through it. I love Dark Soul's but i'll be honest and say it didn't have the same effect on me as Demon's did and I still hold it slightly above Dark Souls if i'm honest!!

I do still have plans to make a new character though, god damn Skyrim!! :o

Oh man maybe i wasnt clear enough. I did clear Demon Souls up to NG+ and just NG with another character. I didnt delve into as i have with Dark Souls, as something else must have taken up my time back then. Its been so long since i played it that in my head i think it would be like Dark Souls, but after watching some gameplay videos on youtube it must faster gameplay wise.

I have done almost everything in Dark Souls bar having a high level mage type character. But with Demons Souls there is still alot i have yet to uncover with regards to world and character tendancy. Ill get back to it some day.

I also agree with you about Demon Souls being better than Dark Souls. But maybe nostalgia is playing a part in yours and my decision. Demon Souls felt brand new. Didnt know what to expect and I was terrified through most of it!:rolleyes: With Dark Souls i knew what to expect, plus there was so much pre-launch media that i found it impossible not to spoil some of it for myself. Sure i still think Final Fantasy 7 is the best RPG/Game ever made! But when i go back to play it i just...cant. Damn you nostalgia!

Also got Skyrim but i got to a point (level 31) where i just couldnt play anymore as everything just felt to similiar. I dunno. Ill get back around to it someday. Maybe next year on my new PC :D

• Registered Users Posts: 26,388 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Dark Souls is indisputably better than Demon Souls for me.

Anyway, funny thing happened last night when I joined the Blades for the first time and equipped the Seance ring. I kept getting forced to invade Dark Andor Londo....but rather than have one guy to deal with, I had two.

Also, one guy was dark and was dressed as the Dragonslayer (complete with Spear) whilst the other (who was kind of illuminated) was dressed as Smough (complete with Hammer).

I was destroyed as were my allies. I kept getting getting the call to invade though and everytime (for the next three attempts) it was them two again kicking ass!

PS: Although I still feel that I am sparring with somebody and suddenly they appear behind me and crit me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

I constantly got that when I was in the Dark Blades. There'd be 2 guys just waiting to smash me! Sometimes a guy with a dragonslayer bow on the steps and a tank up-close or a sneaky invisible guy who I wouldn't realise was there whilst I chased the host.

Same story in the Forest Hunters a lot of the time. Having more success at genuine PVP with the Darkwraiths - I can invade almost anywhere at SL53!

• Advertisement

noodler wrote: »
    Dark Souls is indisputably better than Demon Souls for me.

Anyway, funny thing happened last night when I joined the Blades for the first time and equipped the Seance ring. I kept getting forced to invade Dark Andor Londo....but rather than have one guy to deal with, I had two.

Also, one guy was dark and was dressed as the Dragonslayer (complete with Spear) whilst the other (who was kind of illuminated) was dressed as Smough (complete with Hammer).

I was destroyed as were my allies. I kept getting getting the call to invade though and everytime (for the next three attempts) it was them two again kicking ass!

PS: Although I still feel that I am sparring with somebody and suddenly they appear behind me and crit me.

Hah, great! There are two guys that stream Orstein and Smough pvp in Dark Anor Londo. They are the two biggest Dark Souls streamers around. Maybe you fought them? Although after they showed it on their stream i would reckon alot of people would be doing it also
    Same story in the Forest Hunters a lot of the time. Having more success at genuine PVP with the Darkwraiths - I can invade almost anywhere at SL53!

Thats because when you invade as a wraith you invade players that are your level and above. I was level 23 in Darkroot Garden (No the forest area) and i invaded a guy that musta been in NG+ as he was in full Smough's with Black Knight Axe. It didnt end well, but i gave him his fair go :D

I was level 23 in Darkroot Garden (No the forest area) and i invaded a guy that musta been in NG+ as he was in full Smough's with Black Knight Axe. It didnt end well, but i gave him his fair go :D
    You'd beaten Sif and the 4 Kings at SL23, thats good going!

I've tried not to level up too much with my new character but I pumped points into STR, then to give me the poise necessary to have an uninterrupted swing I had to pump END for decent armour.

Am going for a DEX ninja next which might let me keep the SL lower.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭Arawn

I presume dlc is a no go for this game?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,371 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I don't think From Software have ever done DLC and they work on so many projects that I'm sure the team has been shifted to a new one.

Was thinking that alright, off to the trade in pile it goes!

• Advertisement

You'd beaten Sif and the 4 Kings at SL23, thats good going!

I've tried not to level up too much with my new character but I pumped points into STR, then to give me the poise necessary to have an uninterrupted swing I had to pump END for decent armour.

Am going for a DEX ninja next which might let me keep the SL lower.

Nah i beat them at 30 :D Used a cracked red orb on that occasion.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I don't think From Software have ever done DLC and they work on so many projects that I'm sure the team has been shifted to a new one.
    If they released some DLC with arenas which allowed people to PVP with friends/lobbies etc. it would go down a storm. Would also help to keep the main game the way it was intended whilst giving a lot of people what they want.

If they released some DLC with arenas which allowed people to PVP with friends/lobbies etc. it would go down a storm. Would also help to keep the main game the way it was intended whilst giving a lot of people what they want.

To be honest with you guys (and maybe its my tinternet but I doubt it) I find PvP to be pretty much broken.

I mean the excitement of being invaded or invading is great, setting a Trap or ambush - the anticipation I guess.

But once you actually see each other, it seems to turn into either a battle of attrition or some smart ass who knows how to use the lag to his/her advantage and just appear behind to initate a fatal backstab.

To be honest with you guys (and maybe its my tinternet but I doubt it) I find PvP to be pretty much broken.

I mean the excitement of being invaded or invading is great, setting a Trap or ambush - the anticipation I guess.

But once you actually see each other, it seems to turn into either a battle of attrition or some smart ass who knows how to use the lag to his/her advantage and just appear behind to initate a fatal backstab.
    Totally agree. I've read that the unbearable lag is due to the multiplayer being done over P2P rather than dedicated servers.

If they could somehow devise a better system for matchmaking that goes by ping or whatever it might work.

If they did release the type of DLC I mentioned and hosted those games on dedicated servers they'd surely get a great return on their investment. There are hordes of kids out there who are raised on online multiplayer (and are well used to forking out for upgrades) and they are screaming out for better PVP.

So I got to Siegmeryer in Lost Iszalith last night.

Had no idea I was supposed to jump in and save him in the pit and now he is dead.

****ing brilliant idea there developers - make you go through 6 other steps throughout the game and then just throw that ****ing curveball at you.

I'll have to farm a stupid slab now.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,902 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Gwyn, I ****ing hate you.

Parry me arse. I was doing fine without it ffs!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,436 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Do you have Strong Magic Shield Sorcery and pre-patch build?

Gives you a few seconds of invincibility which makes Gwyn much easier. Pair it with something like Crystal Ring Shield and you're away!

Master of the Universe

I have the pre patch build, but neither the strong magic shield sorcery or the crystal ring shield!

The first time I tried a standard tanking method with a +5 lightning Zweihander. Almost had the bastard too.

Subsequent attempts just went downhill from there though :( Then I read about parrying with the target shield but coudln't get them timing right.

Reckon I'll have another go at tanking tomorrow and try to boost the oul fire defense.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,436 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Holy crap the patch makes things easier!

Dived into NG+ for an hour there with the extra 12MB. Played as far as the Moonlight Butterfly and mopped up around 175,000 souls altogether. Ridonculous!

And finally got my meaningless Wisdom of a Sage trophy! Boom.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭tonydude

So I got to Siegmeryer in Lost Iszalith last night.

Had no idea I was supposed to jump in and save him in the pit and now he is dead.

****ing brilliant idea there developers - make you go through 6 other steps throughout the game and then just throw that ****ing curveball at you.

I'll have to farm a stupid slab now.

Titan slabs are easy to farm and can be gotten from the dark wraiths and the optional boss back at the start of the game. Theres a red slab located in the pit where you let siegmeyer die. dont drop down the pit where you fought the monsters instead drop down the south facing part (if your looking at where siegmeyer was standing ) theres a chest there with a red slab.

If you cant get titan slabs let me know ive a couple spare, Im lvl 130

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,300 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

tonydude wrote: »
    Titan slabs are easy to farm and can be gotten from the dark wraiths and the optional boss back at the start of the game. Theres a red slab located in the pit where you let siegmeyer die. dont drop down the pit where you fought the monsters instead drop down the south facing part (if your looking at where siegmeyer was standing ) theres a chest there with a red slab.

I farmed those wraiths for ages - have more chunks than I care for. Not one slab in all the time I spent down there.
    I have that item discovery ring and about 35 humanity too - nothing.
    Got pissed off - won't be back to it for a while.

F1ngers wrote: »
    I farmed those wraiths for ages - have more chunks than I care for. Not one slab in all the time I spent down there.
    I have that item discovery ring and about 35 humanity too - nothing.
    Got pissed off - won't be back to it for a while.
    Someone did a heap of research into drop rates (on the wikidot forum) and Titanite Slabs have a 0.24% chance of being dropped by Wraiths!!

Pre patch, they're higher since the patch.

Like the SOR the bird things drop in painted world. Pre patch 2 in 4 odd hours, post patch 11 in about an hour

Finally got enough Reprisal Items to level of Darkmoon and get the miracle. Then I killed Gywen who was easy as pie.

Currently killing all the remaining characters before NG+.

Only the last boss left.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭tonydude

Someone did a heap of research into drop rates (on the wikidot forum) and Titanite Slabs have a 0.24% chance of being dropped by Wraiths!!

I was farming chunks and i got 2 slabs in a row :D, have 4 or 5 now

I was farming chunks and i got 2 slabs in a row :D, have 4 or 5 now
    Like Arawn said it must've been pre-patch that stat referred to. I've done a bit of farming with no luck but not enough to believe it impossible

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Just started this today. Died lots, but good fun though. Stuff like giving you back all your Estus flasks at the campfires makes it seem a bit more fair.

I've a question, I've some fire spell that says it has 8 uses. When I use it 8 times can it be recharged or is it just gone for good or what?

Might be back to you after NG+!

I am about an hour away from completing the game and well over 90 hours.

How long did NG+ take people?

Master of the Universe

danthefan wrote: »
    Just started this today. Died lots, but good fun though. Stuff like giving you back all your Estus flasks at the campfires makes it seem a bit more fair.

I've a question, I've some fire spell that says it has 8 uses. When I use it 8 times can it be recharged or is it just gone for good or what?

It'll regenerate when you rest at a bonfire ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,765 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

danthefan wrote: »
    Just started this today.

I don't know if I envy or pity you...

Advertisement