Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dark Souls

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Somnus

I'm considering picking up this over the Christmas break and was just wondering whether it's recommended to play the first one before hand?

I mean is there a continuous storyline? If not I'd be more likely to just pick up Dark Souls, saw the nice edition in gamestop the other day with the soundtrack etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,765 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

I'd play the first one, it's a great game and it's cheaper too!

The mechanics are similar in both games, few tweaks here and there, but one thing is consistent, Death!

There's not much in the way of Plot in either game, you're a nameless hero taking on some impossible task. Go kill those bloody Demons

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭OldManJenkin

I just lost 16 humanity on a bloodstain, at least I spent my million souls before hand though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

Dr.Poca wrote: »
    I'm considering picking up this over the Christmas break and was just wondering whether it's recommended to play the first one before hand?

I mean is there a continuous storyline? If not I'd be more likely to just pick up Dark Souls, saw the nice edition in gamestop the other day with the soundtrack etc.
    Dark Souls is more refined and easier than Demons but they're both amazingly good. Once you get into one you'll definitely get the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,847 ✭✭✭Polar101

So.. I'm completely stuck at the Bell Gargoyles. I think I've tried fight about 20 times, usually I can kill the first one but the second one with the flame breath is too much for me. Any tips for this one? Is it possible to solo?

I've done some grinding, I'm now soul level 27 - but I can't say it has helped me with the gargoyles.

Still, this is possibly the best game I've played on the PS3.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭Arawn

yeah its possible, but you can summon someone to help if you've humanity

Yay! I summoned Solitaire to help, now I FINALLY killed the bell gargoyles. I think that was about 23 attempts or so. I think my chances of ever finishing this game are slim, but let's see what happens next. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Dr.Poca wrote: »

I would definitely get Demon's. They're not a continuing story at all so you don't have to. But if you don't get it you're missing out on a really brilliant game.

Polar101 wrote: »
    I think my chances of ever finishing this game are slim, but let's see what happens next. :)
    The early stages can be frustrating but the more you play, the more you'll become used to the game mechanics. As you progress there becomes a point at where your character has developed more than the game has increased in difficulty. Once you hit level 60 you're overpowered for a lot of the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,388 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I have done it, my first ever platinum and I think I could have chosen an easier game to achieve it.

On my 3rd playthrough, just needed to get to Anor Londo to the blacksmith for the last Sif weapon.

Fantastic game. The multiple playthroughs have really shown me the little nuances in the world.

Fantastic game - one of the best I have ever played and a massive improvement on its predecessor.

File size is 140 hours. I may jump back in a bit for some multi action but for now I am delighted to be moving on to some popcorn action in Uncharted 3.

GOTY 2011 for sure.

EDIT:

Just looking through the soundtrack, some of the songs are really ace compared to Demons' Souls.

Fireline, Gaping Dragon, SMough and Ornstein, Priscilla, and the lovely piano in Gywn (4 kings isn't bad either but it brings backl bad memories).

DOUBLE EDIT: I forgot my favourite in Nito! Great track.

• Advertisement

penev10 wrote: »
    The early stages can be frustrating but the more you play, the more you'll become used to the game mechanics. As you progress there becomes a point at where your character has developed more than the game has increased in difficulty. Once you hit level 60 you're overpowered for a lot of the game.

100%.

Bosses who caused me serious problems....Gargoyles, Smough and Ornstein, Four Kings and thats pretty much it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

noodler wrote: »
    I have done it, my first ever platinum and I think I could have chosen an easier game to achieve it.

On my 3rd playthrough, just needed to get to Anor Londo to the blacksmith for the last Sif weapon.

Fantastic game. The multiple playthroughs have really shown me the little nuances in the world.

Fantastic game - one of the best I have ever played and a massive improvement on its predecessor.

File size is 140 hours. I may jump back in a bit for some multi action but for now I am delighted to be moving on to some popcorn action in Uncharted 3.

GOTY 2011 for sure.

EDIT:

Just looking through the soundtrack, some of the songs are really ace compared to Demons' Souls.

Fireline, Gaping Dragon, SMough and Ornstein, Priscilla, and the lovely piano in Gywn (4 kings isn't bad either but it brings backl bad memories).

DOUBLE EDIT: I forgot my favourite in Nito! Great track.

Soundtrack is really fantastic, none of the songs disapoint. Plus you can really tell they had a higher budget this time round when compared to Demons Souls. That being said there are some real gems on the Demons OST but alittle less refined compared to Dark Souls.

Im still playing through the game at the moment on multiple characters. More interested in trying out different playstyles and builds than getting the Platinum but im definitely working towards it. Hopefully by the time i get te Plat they will have announced the next Souls game in the series :D

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭JonB

I got Dark Souls and Skyrim for Christmas. Great games. I'm just wondering how can I beat the red dragon on the bridge or not even to kill it but to get the drake sword. I heard the easy way is to use the bow from under the bridge and hit him in the tail a few times. My problem is that I have no bow nor can I buy one of the shop keeper in the Undead Burg as I killed him by accident the first time I met him. As I came around the corner I seen this ****er looking at me so I hit him with my sword and then realised he was infact a shop keeper.

Don't worry about him, he's not going anywhere.
    You've two options, you could buy a Bow from the Merchant in Undead Burg, or wait a while until you come across one free of charge, possibly in
    Darkroot Basin
    . Either way, you'll have time to come back and collect him.

Good luck

There is a harder way to get the Drake Sword without a bow. I'm presuming you've found the shortcut by kicking the ladder down to the bonfire. If you come up the stairs there, duck back down to let him kill the undead warriors first, then run to the corner to the left as you face the dragon. You cant be hit here. You can lure him down form his perch by having a game of peek-a-boo around the safe corner. When he lands immediately sprint to his left and attack the tail two-handed. Sometimes he'll just crush you and you;ll have to try again but other times you'll have long enough as he tries to turn and you'll get the sword. Not easy but keep at it and you'll get it.

EDIT: you can see how at about 9mins in this video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eO8RAEGnBGM

JonB wrote: »
    I got Dark Souls and Skyrim for Christmas. Great games. I'm just wondering how can I beat the red dragon on the bridge or not even to kill it but to get the drake sword. I heard the easy way is to use the bow from under the bridge and hit him in the tail a few times. My problem is that I have no bow nor can I buy one of the shop keeper in the Undead Burg as I killed him by accident the first time I met him. As I came around the corner I seen this ****er looking at me so I hit him with my sword and then realised he was infact a shop keeper.

Forget he Drake sword. Since you killed the merchant you will have the Uchigatana that he dropped. Very nice sword if you level up your dexterity plus on 3 (average) consecutive hits on an enemy it will make them bleed which does a massive amount of damage to them. Most enemys will die in about 3 hits, but bleed weapons are boss killers without a doubt.

Enjoy!

My advice is to forego the Drake Sword because it kind of takes tghe challenge and diversity out of early game.

You won't use anything else for ages.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭derfderf

JonB wrote: »

If you started with the master key you can get a bow by
    running past Havel into the darkroot basin

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,371 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Thanks for reminding me I had the soundtrack. Gave it a listen there and it is indeed amazing. Didn't realise Motoi Sakuraba was the composer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Completionist

So i introduced a friend to this today, He played it for a total of 20 minutes. In this time he died 7 times before i told him he did not need to kill the asylum demon.

He rage quit. I giggled like a little school girl.

• Advertisement

Played this a lot today, killed Capra Demon and Gaping Dragon, so some progress finally. I guess it's Blightown next, not really looking forward to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

Polar101 wrote: »
    Played this a lot today, killed Capra Demon and Gaping Dragon, so some progress finally. I guess it's Blightown next, not really looking forward to that.
    Blightown is a pain in the hole alright, make sure you get the rusty ring and the dark armor and lots of purple moss.

Blightown is a pain in the hole alright, make sure you get the rusty ring and the dark armor and lots of purple moss.

I don't think you can get the rusty ing that early.

Yes, get at least 20+ pieces of moss from the female merchant behind the bars.

Take your time in Blighttown.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KilOit

Do i have more chance of winning the lotto than this coming out for pc?
    madness not putting this on pc since games like this flourish on the platform.

I don't think you can get the rusty ing that early.

Yes, get at least 20+ pieces of moss from the female merchant behind the bars.

Take your time in Blighttown.

As soon as you land in Firelink after the Undead Asylum you can go straight back if you want and get the Rusted Ring. I normally skip Blighttown (dont tell him how :D) these days, but if i do go through it i run through the forest area first as the tree monsters have a chance to drop the Toxic antidote moss as well as the regular anti-poison moss

As soon as you land in Firelink after the Undead Asylum you can go straight back if you want and get the Rusted Ring. I normally skip Blighttown (dont tell him how :D) these days, but if i do go through it i run through the forest area first as the tree monsters have a chance to drop the Toxic antidote moss as well as the regular anti-poison moss

Ah I thought you had to be a certain way through the game before you could go back to UA.

You need to access the lift in the Undead Church don't you? So you can jump off it onto the platform as the lift goes up/down

You need to access the lift in the Undead Church don't you? So you can jump off it onto the platform as the lift goes up/down

Oops, your right there, forgot about that :P It isnt to far in to be honest though :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

A few questions

1. Do your attributes ever get to a maxed out level where you cant level them up anymore and what attribute should I level up the most first?

2.whats the best area for farming for souls?

3.Im a bit stuck at the moment, im in that area with one legged monster that fires lightning at you and cant kill him, also the 2 gargoles on top of the church are also near by, cant kill them either, any tips, I have the drake sword, does forging this do much?

• Advertisement

A few questions

1. Do your attributes ever get to a maxed out level where you cant level them up anymore and what attribute should I level up the most first?

2.whats the best area for farming for souls?

3.Im a bit stuck at the moment, im in that area with one legged monster that fires lightning at you and cant kill him, also the 2 gargoles on top of the church are also near by, cant kill them either, any tips, I have the drake sword, does forging this do much?

1. Your stats can go up as high as 99. But there is really no point in leveling some stats past 40-50 because past 40 all stats suffer from diminishing returns which means you gain less benefit from the stat than you did from 1-40. Ill give you examples.

VITALITY: Stop at 40. After 40 it gives you alot less HP per point

ATTUNEMENT: Honestly dunno when this stat stops giving you spell slots

ENDURANCE: At 40 it stops giving you stamina but your equip load keeps increasing beyond 40

STRENGTH: Diminishing returns on weapon scaling at 40. 57 is the highest requirement for a weapon to wield it 1 handed (Smough Hammer) You gain a 25% increase to your strength stat if you 2hand a weapon which can bring you up to the requirement to wield it.

DEXTERITY: Diminishing returns on weapon scaling at 40. Im not sure what the highest DEX requirement for a weapon is but the highest i can think of is the Washing Pole with 20 Dex requirement.

RESISTANCE: Useless stat

INTELLIGENCE: Diminishing returns at 40 again. The highest requirement for a spell is 50 (Dragons Breath) For a weapon i have no idea. I would guess 25 or so with Artorias Great Sword.

FAITH: Diminishing returns at 40. Highest req for a spell is 50 (Sunlight Spear) For a weapon i think its Grant at 30 FAI.

As for what to level first. If your not to sure about what kinda build you want to go for your best bet is to level VIT and END near the start as most build have both stats at 40 and they benefit any kind of build. Most big **** off weapons will have high scaling with STR and the more graceful and fast type weapons like Katanas and Rapiers will usually have higher scaling with DEX.

2. Best farming area is in Darkroot Forest. Its just beyond the area with the black lightning monster you are having trouble with and in through a magic sealed door (The blacksmith sells the key)

3. Upgrading weapons is the single best way to get a quick boost to DMG. The Drakesword requires Dragon Scales (very rare) to upgrade so it may not be a choice that early in the game. That black Titan Demon should actually be challenged after the Gargoyles but it is very possible to beat him (Get in close and strafe to his left consantly till its time to strike or stand back from him and blast him with magic. Or you could just run straight past him as the mobs on the otherside of him are less challenging.

Advertisement