Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dark Souls

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

3/4 of the battle is trying to draw the knight mofo out before going near her. Long bow is better to be honest but it's got savage range, very handy for that dragon bow bit in anor londo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

No joke... every attempt I've made to get Pharis' bow has resulted in her falling to her death in that feckin forrest!

Pharis is a woman?:eek:

If an enemy falls to their death cant you reload and the goodies will be somewhere nearby? or is that only certain characters?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

Finally started playing this today (on a friend's urging). It grabbed me much more immediately than Demon's Souls did, don't really know why!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

Currently hanging out around the church, helping people dispatch the Gargoyles! Lots of fun I gotta say :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

wow this video shows some really cool shortcuts
    It's probably best not to watch this unless you have completed the game

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixhCaRCgelQ

• Advertisement

tuxy wrote: »
    wow this video shows some really cool shortcuts
    It's probably best not to watch this unless you have completed the game

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixhCaRCgelQ

So... I only knew about 1 of those :eek: You'd need balls of steel to even attempt most of them, and that's not how I play DS.

Anyway, people of boards, I need help... Would like someone to make a case for each of the following as a balance to DEX; Miracles, Sorcery and Pyromancy, which complements DEX best? I'm early enough in the game and in stat building that all are viable options. Have only put points into End, Vit and Dex at this point I think.

AnCapaillMor, thanks for the dex/int idea :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

Anyway, people of boards, I need help... Would like someone to make a case for each of the following as a balance to DEX; Miracles, Sorcery and Pyromancy, which complements DEX best? I'm early enough in the game and in stat building that all are viable options. Have only put points into End, Vit and Dex at this point I think.
    None of them really complements DEX as there isn't really a weapon that requires high FAI/INT and DEX (bar the Astorias swords which require a decent level of everything or maybe the Channelers trident but that isn't great iirc).

The Magic Weapon / Curved Sword route as suggested by AnCapaill is a good way to go.

Pyromancy would be good if you want to keep your level down as it doesn't scale with any stat but you would still have to pump souls into upgrading the flame glove. You could also run a Chaos build with the Chaos Blade and some of the Chaos pyromancies and maybe a Chaos Iaito for the craic.

This is a handy tool for planning your builds:
    http://darksouls.itsthatguy.com/

You can also post a link to a build from it.

penev10 wrote: »
    This is a handy tool for planning your builds:
    http://darksouls.itsthatguy.com/

You can also post a link to a build from it.

Handy link that, thanks.

If I was going DEX/PYRO I'd ultimately be aiming for something like this.

EDIT: This is even better as it includes more info, and things like weapons/armor!

http://mugenmonkey.com/darksouls/

Updated build

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

I'm going along as a warrior, what should I be putting my stuff into ?
    Lvl 15 atm, and have only used Str / End / Vit really...and maybe attunement slots, but not sure wtf they are.

SeantheMan wrote: »
    Lvl 15 atm, and have only used Str / End / Vit really...and maybe attunement slots, but not sure wtf they are.

END and VIT if you're tanking it as a warrior! Attunement increases the number of spell slots you have, so probably not much use to your current build!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Don't I need strength as a warrior though, or is that a useless skill ?

STR,Vit and End, maybe dex depending on the weapons you use. For str, look at your weapon in the items menu, hit the x button, in the middle somewhere you see letters besides the stats symbols. S-E(S,A,B etc). These basically decide how much a stat will modify the weapons damage. Heavy weapons usually have a higher str modifier, light weapons usually have a higher dex modifier. Don't get me started on ores etc. Also some weapons require a minimum stat level to be able to use it properly.

Attunement slots are basically how many different miracles\pyro's\spells you can carry, by default its 1 i think.

Actually i miss the sharpstone\greystone from demons, you could specify whether you wanted a bigger bonus from dex or strength from them.

Don't I need strength as a warrior though, or is that a useless skill ?

It's important too, as a method of increasing the damage you do with weapons, but if you want to keep swinging said weapons, then make getting END to 40 a priority. VIT, is up to you... If you find you're dying in combat (as opposed to falling off things :o) a lot, then pump points into that. It gives you a solid foundation.

Running a dex\int build at the moment running around with an enchanted uchitana or washing pole with crystal magic weapon and the enchanted pharis bow. It's handy, use the crystal homo soul mass then dart in and get 2-3 hits with the uchi or washing pole. It's kinda useless in the DLC though as most of the bosses seem to have alot of magic damage resistance, so you're basically chipping away at their health.

No joke... every attempt I've made to get Pharis' bow has resulted in her falling to her death in that feckin forrest! I think it's cursed in more ways than one :D

Anyway, looks like I've some research to be doing!

Just do what penev said quit and reload, the drop will be by where she started, idiot fell of the ledge on me, quit the game and the bow and gay ass hat was there on the reload.

Ok whats the story with the dark wraiths, wiki says do no talk to frampt, do not place lord vessel before fighting the 4 kings, ok don't i need to place the vessel to open the gates in the 4 area's?

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Issac

Ok whats the story with the dark wraiths, wiki says do no talk to frampt, do not place lord vessel before fighting the 4 kings, ok don't i need to place the vessel to open the gates in the 4 area's?

You do not need to place the lord vessel before fighting them no. They're the only one of the "end bosses" that this applies to. Well done for getting this far!

Bah well thats a kick in the knackers, 5 playthoughs and this was the only time i got both the black knight shield and halbred(and i did some serious farming at the kiln).

• Registered Users Posts: 26,390 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Issac wrote: »
    You do not need to place the lord vessel before fighting them no. They're the only one of the "end bosses" that this applies to. Well done for getting this far!

AnCapaillMor, I thought you finished the game a year ago?

EDIT: "5th playthrough" - gotcha!

I did but was never bothered with invading or the darkwraiths, had fun with the forest and chaos covenants on this play through and its the only convenant i got left now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

Had a good DS session last night. Got to the Gargoyles on the roof, died. I've gotten a bit thick about it, I refuse to summon help! I was so close...

Finding shortcuts and seeing how interlinked the world is is so satisfying.

• Advertisement

Actually spent the night planting white stone to help dudes in anor londo with smough and ornstein. So anyways this guys summons me, we got as far as the boss(smough\ornstein) fog gate and some dude invaded. So the dude chases him, the phantom goes out the front door and my summoner goes after him. The invader draws him towards the guards, then the gargoyles, then he runs the other way, my guy follows and eventually the invader runs up to where the dragon bow archers are and i'm thinking there's no way he's this daft to follow and my guy follows him. Couldn’t believe it. Of course he got slaughtered.

Mr. K wrote: »
    Had a good DS session last night. Got to the Gargoyles on the roof, died. I've gotten a bit thick about it, I refuse to summon help! I was so close...

Finding shortcuts and seeing how interlinked the world is is so satisfying.

It is the most perfectly crafted game world I can think of. My first run-through of the game was almost entirely solo... think I summoned on Smough/Ornstein, and also on the final boss, that was it. I admire your stubbornness in this matter :)
    Actually spent the night planting white stone to help dudes in anor londo with smough and ornstein. So anyways this guys summons me, we got as far as the boss(smough\ornstein) fog gate and some dude invaded. So the dude chases him, the phantom goes out the front door and my summoner goes after him. The invader draws him towards the guards, then the gargoyles, then he runs the other way, my guy follows and eventually the invader runs up to where the dragon bow archers are and i'm thinking there's no way he's this daft to follow and my guy follows him. Couldn’t believe it. Of course he got slaughtered.

Oh man, Dark Souls trolling right there!! :cool:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,172 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

60fps Dark Souls? Thank you mod community.

Will try it out later and see if it works. edit...If it looks as good as the video linked on PcGamer (not the youtube one), but god it's a fantastic addition.
    PcGamer wrote:
    Modders’ renovation of the shoddy PC port of Dark Souls continues with the appearance of a 60fps patch, spotted by DSO Gaming. The update only works in offline mode, but should remove the 30fps limit resulting in smoother moves, if you have the PC to run it.

Previous attempts to enable 60 frames in Dark Souls have caused motion to move at double clip, making everything even harder than it already was. Based on this video (download to see the 60fps version) and accounts from users who have tried the patch, it seems to work reasonably well.

The fix is available now via this mediafire link. It’s an unfinished project, so you might want to back up saves before installing. The 60fps mod requires Durante’s DSFix, which removes Dark Souls’ 720p restriction, and GFWL protector disabler. Keep up with the latest on the mod’s progress with the help of this Steam thread.

http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/09/17/dark-souls-mod-enables-60fps/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

I'm going to pick this up tonight.... I'm kinda scared :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭balkieb2002

Kiith wrote: »

The turn-off factor for some people would be:
    The update only works in offline mode, but should remove the 30fps limit resulting in smoother moves, if you have the PC to run it.

I don't summon/invade so may give this a go later as my framerates were OK at best.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,561 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

maybe if they made the update official so everyone installs it , it would work in online mode. I do alot of my play online so will wait. I have not had much of a chance to play for the last few weeks. how is the new challenge/PvP areas ? has the summoning/being summoned gotten any better. i may play a few hours tonight after the champions league

• Registered Users Posts: 20,561 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

blobby360 wrote: »
    I'm going to pick this up tonight.... I'm kinda scared :o

it's not too bad when you get into the swing of it. take your time, read the wikis , upgrade your weapons.

i got cocky after playing so much on the PS3, and went into anor londo with virtually no upgraded weapons, and a low souls level. was down to my last few humanity after i got through it. nearly had to resort to heading back to the firelink for more humanity

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

2smiggy wrote: »
    maybe if they made the update official so everyone installs it , it would work in online mode.

The chances of this getting any kind of official update on PC is very slim.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭djkeogh

This is defo the best game I've played in awhile. Going through Sens Fortress now and it's just full of death. The amount of times of fallen to my death or gotten killed by the traps. It's great. Currently down the bottom now trying to wipe out all the Titanite Demons. Great stuff.

Think the Great Hollow was the freakiest level in the game for me so far. Something about that level just got under my skin and I dreaded the descent and ultimately the ascent again at the end of it all.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Mr. K wrote: »

They.
    Are.
    B@stards!

Advertisement