Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dark Souls

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Some serious trolling going on in the pc, got to parish just after the taurus, some dude invaded, he swung i blocked and he killed me straight out, must've been a lightning washing pole+5 or something. So thats it, i've got the key to the underground, going to do depths, blighttown first get some good weapons level to +10 then go back to the parish reverse hollow and spent an hour or 2 killing invaders.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

Lightning weapons are so cheap and should have been nerfed to death when they revised all the scaling.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

penev10 wrote: »
    Lightning weapons are so cheap and should have been nerfed to death when they revised all the scaling.

They did nerf them a little, right? Or did I imagine that? I remember finding the Lightning Spear in Sens first time and being blown away by the damage it did.

This playthough I'm all about that Uchigatana +10!

Spent my time last night helping people fight off the invaders in the forest, found myself with about 70k souls very fast.

The've nerfed them compared to when DS was first out, they're like the drake now, great at the start but surpassed after a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭djkeogh

Yea I just got the Lightning Spear, I'm level 56 or so and have an Enchanted Claymore lvl 4 but am finding the spear great for the Man Serpents.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,172 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I used the lightening spear on my first playthrough as well, and it was stupidly overpowered. Absolutely blitzed through it. Not going to use it this time though...although i also said that for the Drake sword, and i'm using that all the time now.

They reduced Lightning damage by 15% but it wasn't enough imo.

I like the Lightning Spear and how it serves to aid new players who mightn't have upgraded themselves adequately for the middle part of the game. It's a great leveller and a real lifesaver for those who may have given up otherwise but lightning as an upgrade just makes it too handy to come out with an uber weapon.

Using scaling weapons should always be a better option. It's just a shame there are so few A scaling weapons (never mind S!) and that a DEX scaling upgrade wasn't included.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Big Knox

They did nerf them a little, right? Or did I imagine that? I remember finding the Lightning Spear in Sens first time and being blown away by the damage it did.

This playthough I'm all about that Uchigatana +10!

Spent my time last night helping people fight off the invaders in the forest, found myself with about 70k souls very fast.

How does the +10 Uchi scale for dex builds these days?

Going to make a new character for PS3 release and want to go DEX this time. At launch it was just not viable. Is the damage comparable to STR / Black knight builds?

Kiith wrote: »
    I used the lightening spear on my first playthrough as well, and it was stupidly overpowered. Absolutely blitzed through it. Not going to use it this time though...although i also said that for the Drake sword, and i'm using that all the time now.
    penev10 wrote: »
    They reduced Lightning damage by 15% but it wasn't enough imo.

I like the Lightning Spear and how it serves to aid new players who mightn't have upgraded themselves adequately for the middle part of the game. It's a great leveller and a real lifesaver for those who may have given up otherwise but lightning as an upgrade just makes it too handy to come out with an uber weapon.

Using scaling weapons should always be a better option. It's just a shame there are so few A scaling weapons (never mind S!) and that a DEX scaling upgrade wasn't included.

My very first clear time was 27 hours. I was finished the game while the vast majority of the playerbase was struggling with Sens.

The reason? I was very well prepared, had a crazy amount of Demon's Souls playtime and pvp on the Asian servers to my name but the main reason; unbeknownst at the time, I had pretty much the perfect build due to the really messed up initial weapon balance.

I had planned to stack END + VIT and rely on elemental weapons for my first playthrough and then invest into a scaling stat once I had softcapped END + VIT but I had no idea just how overpowered the lightning Claymore would turn out to be.

I picked up the Drakesword early on, then progressed onto the lightning spear and farmed mats and made myself a +5 lightning Claymore very early. The result was me blitzing the game with very few deaths. The majority of bosses were one shot and the only place I struggled a bit was Tomb of the Giants due to the fact I couldn't see sh1t!

Getting invaded was hilarious, I would 2 hand the Claymore and it would be over before my stamina was halved. At the time I thought I was godly but in Hindsight it ruined the experience for me. Demon's Souls is my favourite game this gen as I loved how hard it was. I quit Dark Souls after I finished NG+ 2 weeks after release. :(

Big Knox wrote: »
    I think all the Katanas get to A scaling when fully upgraded to +15. B at +10.

• Advertisement

Going to make a new character for PS3 release and want to go DEX this time. At launch it was just not viable. Is the damage comparable to STR / Black knight builds?

It's not amazing if I'm honest. Going to head down to New Londo Ruins, see if the Very Large Ember for +15 makes a difference. Must pump some more points into Dex actually, still only around 25. I've been Soul Level 41 for the last 5 or 6 hours in game now, putting points into equipment and spells. DAT Pyro Flame!
    My very first clear time was 27 hours. I was finished the game while the vast majority of the playerbase was struggling with Sens.

Crikey... I finished sub 40 hours and thought that was relatively fast... evidently not.

It's not amazing if I'm honest. Going to head down to New Londo Ruins, see if the Very Large Ember for +15 makes a difference. Must pump some more points into Dex actually, still only around 25. I've been Soul Level 41 for the last 5 or 6 hours in game now, putting points into equipment and spells. DAT Pyro Flame!

I'd be interested to hear what the +15 is like at around 40 dex, must look into it! I used to love running dual Uchi's in Demon's and would love to do the same for my next run when the new content hits the PS3.
    Crikey... I finished sub 40 hours and thought that was relatively fast... evidently not.

Well as I said, I pretty much had the best weapon in the game early on and a max VIT / END build for tanking damage when needed. The maxed lightning Claymore did insane damage on release and has an amazing moveset.

So anyways just farting around at the moment, killed taurus thats about it, placing stones at the gargoyles and kellog, spending the souls on weapons. So anyways to the title, got summoned by some dude at the church. He was carrying the demon spear and i thought that's it i'm screwed this guy is on NG+ and i'm only SL14, apparently i wasn't as 1 shotted regular soldier. Then i see the dude has dropped an item, a lightning spear+5, there's no way he'd gotten those weapons this early on, so i im'd him. Apparently some dude invaded him, im'd him that this was his lucky day and basically dropped a load of armour and weapons all maxed out.

As for katana's, yep A scaling from +14 on http://darksoulswiki.wikispaces.com/Uchigatana.

I was using it in the last play with crystal magic weapon, to be honest kellogs furry sword with 10 humanity beats it still. Actually going with a faith dex this time, i hear the faith weapon buffs are pretty good.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭excaliburhc

uchikatana + 15 with 42 dex

stats say 290ish right hand damage

but real world example.

on kiln run with black knights

normal damage : 183
    r2 attack : 317
    backstab : 570

with hornet : 713

but it seems it no longer bleeds - at least i dont seem to get the effect anymore.

but i downgradedmy uchi from raw +5 to put it up to +15 so i may have ****ed something up with it

Kellogs furry sword i reckon is the best dex weapon, okay you need to be carrying 10 humanity to get the most out of it, but its got a b modifier, is quick and the flame damage can add an interupt\stagger on enemies and does more damage through shields.

Kellogs furry sword i reckon is the best dex weapon, okay you need to be carrying 10 humanity to get the most out of it, but its got a b modifier, is quick and the flame damage can add an interupt\stagger on enemies and does more damage through shields.

I used that on my first character (not even a Dex build), so ideally I'd avoid it a bit.

Initially on the dex build (2nd character) I was using Bandit Knife +10, but for last few hours it's been the Uchi+10 religiously (and Pyro thrown in for the laugh).

Chaos Blade worth considering?

Also, a question for those in the know... Say I was mad enough to consider getting the achievement/trophy Knight's Honor, do I have to stick to one character, or could I use multiples? Like if I got the the Furysword with 1 and Chaos Blade with 2, would that be ok?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,390 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Also, a question for those in the know... Say I was mad enough to consider getting the achievement/trophy Knight's Honor, do I have to stick to one character, or could I use multiples? Like if I got the the Furysword with 1 and Chaos Blade with 2, would that be ok?

Multiple playthroughs it the only way to do it.

You should google the list of weapons and shields required (info in the official guidebook is slightly wrong), it takes 2.5 playthroughs to get that achievement (I did it last year).

Chaos blade is alright, b-modifier on dex with no other modifier with high bleed damage. Thing is though it's like hiltless from demons, everything you swing and hit something you lose a bit of hp. Go with the washing pole and buffs.

You sure multiple characters work, it was one character only on demons, you'd to get to NG+++ to get everything although you could get the weapons one by NG+ after the flamelurker.

At least dark souls doesn't have pure bladestone.

noodler wrote: »
    Multiple playthroughs it the only way to do it.

You should google the list of weapons and shields required (info in the official guidebook is slightly wrong), it takes 2.5 playthroughs to get that achievement (I did it last year).

I know it requires multiple playthroughs (thank you Sif, among others), but I'm specifically asking about characters.
    Chaos blade is alright, b-modifier on dex with no other modifier with high bleed damage. Thing is though it's like hiltless from demons, everything you swing and hit something you lose a bit of hp. Go with the washing pole and buffs.

You sure multiple characters work, it was one character only on demons, you'd to get to NG+++ to get everything although you could get the weapons one by NG+ after the flamelurker.

:D

I know it requires multiple playthroughs (thank you Sif, among others), but I'm specifically asking about characters.

:D

Sorry.

I am 95% certain it has to be the same character.

This thread would suggest that
    http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/606312-/60824795

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,301 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

noodler wrote: »
    Sorry.

I am 95% certain it has to be the same character.

This thread would suggest that
    http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/606312-/60824795

One character has to do 2.5 playthroughs.

Ahh the infamous Pure Bladestone. I'll never forget it. I had hit SL120 on my dex build and after reading absolute horror stories of people farming for weeks on end and not seeing a single one I dreaded it. Everyone was talking about it and I remember there was a thread on gamefaqs that was massive, made up of pure rage stories regarding it. I had made my mind up to go Hiltless offhand to save myself farming for two.

Anyway after leaving it until last and getting my build perfect apart from the Uchi, I mentally prepared for a horrible time of endless farming. I made my way down to the secret passage of 4-2. I took down the skeleton and I'll never forget it. I remember thinking to myself as I ran over to loot him "first kill down, probably thousands to g... *Pure Bladestone* :eek::eek::eek:

I sat there laughing to myself for about 5 minutes before running off to craft my +10 Uchi, not before leaving a post on the gamefaqs thread. Everyone thought I was trolling but I didn't care! :pac:

I hate you..

I started out at SL68 one night and was SL125 the next day when i finally got pure bladestone. Countless playthroughs on all region versions of demons and it was always a slog to get it. Chunks were almost as hard to get, escpeically when i decided to make unchi+5. Pulp stone chunks now there was a pain too.

Without doubt the single worst mechanic of Demons Souls was the weapon levelling.

I had absolutely no desire to max even one weapon yet I platinumed Dark Souls.
    I hoped they learned their lesson there regarding making it somewhat enjoyable.

I hate you..

I started out at SL68 one night and was SL125 the next day when i finally got pure bladestone. Countless playthroughs on all region versions of demons and it was always a slog to get it. Chunks were almost as hard to get, escpeically when i decided to make unchi+5. Pulp stone chunks now there was a pain too.

Yeah it was mental! Admittedly I almost didn't believe the stories until I tried for a second and gave up after 3 hours!

Then on EU release I rolled a new DEX build and again it was a bit of a chore. I used to get crazy amounts of Chunks though doing the backwards run from the Reaper on PBWT.

Looking forward to making a new character I have to admit. Going to go with a DEX build and purposely keep VIT lowish to crank up the difficulty a bit. Is the Darkmoon buff still the go to weapon buff?

Seems to be the buff, that and sunlight blade, although both require a faith of 30. Darkmoon blade you have to stay in the covenant though and i want to kill the leader.

Seems to be the buff, that and sunlight blade, although both require a faith of 30. Darkmoon blade you have to stay in the covenant though and i want to kill the leader.

Hmm that's going to be a problem so, wanted to join the Darkwraiths this time around.

Will have to do a bit of research and come up with a solid build before I start!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,561 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

played after the pub last night ! decided to try sif, in human form ,kept getting invaded in the garden , and getting killed by invaders. i got 1 shoted a good few times by a person with the life scyde thingy , after me getting a few shots with the fury sword and after getting a few back stabs in !!! he took pity when he invaded again and dropped a few humanity for me and a falcon +5 fire for me so not too bad

Anyone at any level can be called to the forest to invade your game. I was there the other day and had 8 invasions in a row(at one stage there was 2 invaders), couldn't get out of the place. In the end i just ran out of estus and spells. Good fun though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,561 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

might seem a stupid question, but where do i go again to get a catalyst and get spells !! i have freed logan i bought a few spells off him, he is gone from the firelink but i have no wand ! i am currently trying to get my firekeepers soul back for the fire link, that is one hard fight !

Advertisement