Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Starting out

• 01-02-2011 9:15am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

I would like to learn how to develop my own photographs, but I know nothing about the process or even what materials I need. Can anyone point me in the right direction by recommending a book for starters and/or what materials are necessary.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Nisio

Hey,

Developing your own black and white film is straight forward enough; through the forum I learned last year. There are a load of threads in the forum if you know how to use the search function or there's a post in the frequently asked questions post (link here:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=68616896&postcount=21)

Maybe have a read through the links in that post and come back with more questions?

Oisin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭dakar

Yup, Black and White is pretty straightforward to develop. I picked up the bits and pieces in Gunns on Wexford St. What you need costs about €40 and the developing tank has a full set of clear instructions inside.

All the times, temperatures and concentrations of the chemicals are here, and these, along with a couple of youtube tutorials will get you up and running.

I just scan my negatives. If you want to print as well, it gets a bit more involved.

EDIT: What you need btw are, a developing tank, some developer, some fixer and some stop, running water and a dark place to get the film from the roll into the developing tank. Thats all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 708 ✭✭✭dave66

As has been said, it really isn't hard to get started. It's some years since I did it myself but it's something everyone should try at least once. If you are struggling to find a dark place to load the film in the tank, then you can get a dayllight changing bag. I'd suggest popping into Gunn's they'll be able to offer you lots of advice and can supply everything you need to get started.

If you are nervous about trying this solo, then consider (A) Running a few rolls of film through the camera, without really worrying about the photo you are taking, so if things go wrong, you've really lost nothing (B) Check out the likes of Dublin Camera Club, The Gallery of Photography, for courses or take a look at www.monochromemeath.com (run by a member here) who offer a beginners course which teaches the basics of film development and darkroom printing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭jpb1974

Just happened upon this, thought it might be worth sharing -

http://kenshukan.net/john/archives/2009/02/11/my-film-development-methods/

Advertisement