Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheap but solid greenhouse for my Dad.....any advice please!

Options
  • 01-02-2011 2:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭

Hey Folks,

Thanks for reading this. I would love to buy a greenhouse for my Dad's garden as I have been promising one for years....I would love it to be a suprise but I'm not sure if that is practical....are greenhouses a personal thing?Like buying a car, do you need to go an have a feel of it first and check out the metal or is a present of one an ok thing to do?

Also which one! He has a good size to cever...at present he plants veg, ptatoes, strawberries, scallions etc but has always wanted a greenhouse for additional things.

Is there any place thats better than the rest for offers or are the cheaper ones terrible and likely to blow away with the first sign of a windy day? he lives on the side of a hill in Tipperary so it can be pretty windy!

Also is there a particular type of glass or frame that I should look at?

Any advice or tips or recommendations very much appreciated!

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,524 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

would you consider a polytunnel? not quite as nice looking, but a lot cheaper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭stephendevlin

If you buy a glasshouse expect to pay roughly the same for installation.

Takes about 2 days to fit (proper greenhouse)

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Trishis

Hmmm I would prefer a greenhouse I think, as thats what he would like, but thanks for the suggestion.

What about the polycarbonate greenhouses? found a 10x8 for 600euros....
    it says that polycarbonate keeps things warmer and is easier to clean and is lighter....
    Are they good?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭stephendevlin

Trishis wrote: »
    Hmmm I would prefer a greenhouse I think, as thats what he would like, but thanks for the suggestion.

What about the polycarbonate greenhouses? found a 10x8 for 600euros....
    it says that polycarbonate keeps things warmer and is easier to clean and is lighter....
    Are they good?

Cant comment on those now. My father fits the glasshouses for people so I know they are a good job. unbelievable difference in growing time. :D

Fitting includes concrete base. Assembly of the frame and Glazing. They can be like a jigsaw puzzle all the parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Trishis

Oh really, how much does installation cost...or do you know of any good glasshouse websites where I could get an all inclusive price?

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

IMO you are better off with glass. If your Dad is anyway good at DIY he should be able to assemble it himself, the instructions are usually fairly comprehensive. Unless you can convince him to go away on holiday you'll find it hard to surprise him. Most people are happy enough with the standard aluminium type, go for a minimum 8x6, larger if you can afford it.
    Does he intend to grow in pots or in the ground? If it's the latter then he wouldn't need a concrete base, just lay footings and mount it on blocks. Greenhouses and high winds are not happy bedfellows so it's essential to find as sheltered a spot as possible, which is not too shaded. Get a louvred vent which can be mounted on the end opposite the door to allow through ventilation and of course, make sure it has at least one roof vent.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭karl tyrrell

Hi if he just loves growing seasonal fruit and veg he wont need a heated glasshouse or a cement floor,i collected second hand glass from everywere people are allways dumping and made my own for less than 200 euro 12+12 out of wood the floor has soil in it for growing if you and your dad did this you would have great fun save money and build any size you want the price of glasshouses is mad and not that big .

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭wayoutwest

I have heard that polycarbonate panels rattle around when its windy-I also suspect that with time and weathering ,they dont remain as clear as glass ones would. Most of the aluminum/glass frames come with an optional bottom strip [around 100euro]-the frame then bolts to this which gives gives you 4 or 5" of extra headroom.I had a load of old reclaimed bricks,so I laid two courses of them and then screwed/rawplugged the frame on top of them.In a small greenhouse,I prefer having a concrete or paved floor that I can sweep now and again -thus making it easier to spot slugs etc.Down one side,I have a narrow table[homemade 2x1" wood] for propergating seedlings that get planted outside and down the other side,containers full of compost for growing tomatoes and cucumbers.

Advertisement