Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jersey Cake

Options
  • 01-02-2011 2:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭

Hi I am planning on making my brother a blackburn jersey cake this weekend if I can find the time so need black sugarpaste, anywhere in Galway I can buy it? I made red sugar paste at Christmas but took a lot of colour and was still just dark pink! So I think black would be too much hassle.

Also for making jersey cakes do ye just make a few cakes and just stick them together so when they are covered they look fine or do I need to buy a new rectangle caketin and cut out the shape?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭showgirlrita

TillyGirl wrote: »
    Hi I am planning on making my brother a blackburn jersey cake this weekend if I can find the time so need black sugarpaste, anywhere in Galway I can buy it? I made red sugar paste at Christmas but took a lot of colour and was still just dark pink! So I think black would be too much hassle.

Hi Tilly, i was looking for the same a few wks ago,there was a galway co mentioned in 2nd post.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056138464

turns out im still waiting on my delivery of black sugarpaste,but i think it was a problem with the post-the company i ordered it from on ebay were very apologetic & are resending.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Oh ya thanks I forgot to mention I tried that website but they are only advertising white but I will ring later and see on the off chance.

Will also ring Anthony Ryans but have had problems with them before saying they had stuff in stock and then when I drive a half hour to get there they never got it in the first place!:rolleyes:

Frustrating isnt it when you are limited with places that supply certain things...

just to mention the black "painted" on looked the part but it did turn the lucky ppl who got to taste it mouths' black :o thankfully it was family so they didnt mind & laughed about it... i dont know whether it was due to the colour still being wet or that would happen regardless once moisture from your mouth hit the icing :P

Frustrating isnt it when you are limited with places that supply certain things...

I know and esp since its this Saturday I need it for. He asked me to make him a cheesecake as his present so just though he'd love a blackburn jersey cake but dont know if I can organise it in time. Might just do one of the back of the jersey with our surname and his age for the number.

Thanks!

Also for making jersey cakes do ye just make a few cakes and just stick them together so when they are covered they look fine or do I need to buy a new rectangle caketin and cut out the shape?

sorry forgot to say, when i did a hello kitty & guinness pint glass shaped cakes i baked in rectangle tins. I traced the shape i wanted on to greaseproof paper,cut that out and used that as my guide to cut around. you can use cocktail sticks to tac the paper on to the cake so both hands are free :)

• Advertisement

sorry forgot to say, when i did a hello kitty & guinness pint glass shaped cakes i baked in rectangle tins. I traced the shape i wanted on to greaseproof paper,cut that out and used that as my guide to cut around. you can use cocktail sticks to tac the paper on to the cake so both hands are free :)

Found this online..

http://www.razzledazzlerecipes.com/super-bowl-recipes/favorite-player-jersey-cake.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭washiskin

Hi Tillygirl

I always get my coloured pastes from Decobake in Clane - I know it's the other side of the country but they do deliver as far as I know and they are quite keenly priced.

I think someone already mentioned it but Griffin Foods in Dublin are also excellent and definitely post stuff out.
    Hope this helps :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

TillyGirl if you want some black I have a 5kg box of it, you can have some, you know where I am! Black is the only colour that is almost impossible to make yourself, I always buy that and white, I can do most of the other ones but black will never go dark enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭tootired

I think Blackburn Rovers colours are blue and white, there is an away kit that has a lot of black, but the home kit only has a small rectangle of black with crown written on it. I had written a longer reply but this is the 2nd time today my posts seem to have disappeared.

• Advertisement

tootired wrote: »
    it. I had written a longer reply but this is the 2nd time today my posts seem to have disappeared.

TT you're really not having much luck with your replies are you :(

Spadina wrote: »
    TillyGirl if you want some black I have a 5kg box of it, you can have some, you know where I am!

Aw thank you, think I might just do the back view of the jersey now but then the letters/numbers are meant to be black so I dunno!
    tootired wrote: »
    I think Blackburn Rovers colours are blue and white, there is an away kit that has a lot of black, but the home kit only has a small rectangle of black with crown written on it.

Oh ya I know I only need a small bit of black. I have blue paste so thats fine. Think it might be easier to just do the back of the jersey so I wont have to be messing with the crest, wouldnt have a hope of doing that!

Oh ya I know I only need a small bit of black. I have blue paste so thats fine. Think it might be easier to just do the back of the jersey so I wont have to be messing with the crest, wouldnt have a hope of doing that!

Tilly, Tesco do a box of small coloured icings, 5 per pack & there is black icing in it. Only the size of say a Mars bar but should do the trick if you only need a small bit, its v dark so you could roll it thin!! Dr Oetker make them,i bought them yesterday even tho i have all the other colours from my last packet i really needed the black, its only about €3 aswell.

http://www.oetkeronline.co.uk/products/Ready-to-Roll-Coloured-Icing.html

Tilly, Tesco do a box of small coloured icings, 5 per pack & there is black icing in it.

I didnt realise that until yesterday, I had emailed stuff4cakes and she told me about Tesco. I have spent a lot of time in the baking aisle in Tesco and never spotted them! Anyone know if they have them on headford rd in Galway.

Thanks

EDIT: got the icing in Tesco, thanks so much everyone.

Advertisement