Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

pipe to septic tank problem

• 01-02-2011 2:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭

i had my tank emptied recently and today i have noticed that the water from the toilet is moving fine but the more heavier stuff such as the waste itself and toilet paper isnt moving anywyhere. ive been told its a backfall on the pipe and i need a groundworker to repair this problem. can anyone come and advise me on it? im in portlaoise.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

is this a new problem with an old system?

usually this happens when the gradient to the tank is wrong, too steep.

any works carried out recently?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭IRISHROVER98

same problem old system, only works carried out was emptying the tank

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

The fall on the pipe is the wrong way, as in the sludge is trying to go uphill.

Are you talking about the drains off the tank as opposed to what feeds it?

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭cipro 55

did the guy that cleaned out the tank also flush out the pipes

yes i had drain rods in the full length of the pipe. the problem is not that anything is trying to go anywhere back up, but when the toilet is flushed it goes into the drain pipe and stays there. it wont go down the pipe to the tank unless i physically push it with drain rods

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Billy Bunting

Sounds like the guys tanker caused disturbance to the ground, easy done after the frozen ground thawed.

i can say without a doubt this problem was there 18months ago when we were 1st looking at this house. the problem is there is no sufficient fall to carry the solid waste away to the tank. the water goes fine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Stupid question, but how is it that the drains haven't been blocked before now? If all of the sludge is sitting in a 4" sewer pipe then it wouldn't take long to back up, if you know what I mean.

Anyway, the solution is to dig up the sewer line, and re-lay it with an appropriate fall on it to prevent this happening.

you anyone that does that? big problem is the pipe runs right under the decking.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭AMHRASACH

Why empty the tank? Was it giving a problem?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭sky6

Hi Irish rover, I'm sure I can help you if you want to pm me. I've fitted a few systems over the years. If you want you can pm me your details and we can see what can be done. I'm not far away either.

Advertisement