Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

strong white flour - where to buy?

Options
  • 01-02-2011 3:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭

Hello! Just wondering can anyone tell me some shops in Dublin city centre that regularly stock strong white flour? I can't say I've scoured the city, but it doesn't seem to be any supermarkets I've looked in this week or does anyone order this stuff online? Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

Hello! Just wondering can anyone tell me some shops in Dublin city centre that regularly stock strong white flour? I can't say I've scoured the city, but it doesn't seem to be any supermarkets I've looked in this week or does anyone order this stuff online? Thanks!

Tesco usually have (a couple of different brands of) it in stock

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭Sesshoumaru

dvpower wrote: »
    Tesco usually have (a couple of different brands of) it in stock

Must be just my local tescos and superquinn that don't have any so.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 jene

I had the same problem. My local Tesco, Dunnes and Supervalue have stopped stocking it. I eventually found some in M & S Jervis st.

Odlums do strong white flour, most shops that sell flour would have a good range of odlums brand, I can't imagine why it's not to be found near you. I checked the tesco website and it has 4 different brands of strong flour including tesco brand. Are you sure you didn't miss it? Maybe you were in a tesco Express store and you just need another tesco? Tesco express stores are common in Dublin (talbot street for example) and wouldn't have much of a range so don't expect to find it in one of them, and normal Tesco stores might have it, but Tesco Extra stores like Clarehall will definitely have it. Failing that, order it off them online, like I said, they've 4 different brands of it listed.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭nesbitt

As already said the larger stores stock strong white flour. However, as you are in the City centre, try any ethnic food store, several around town and they will have strong flour in stock just ask if you are not sure of packaging. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

Tesco/SV

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭ct_roy

I make a lot of pizza and have scoured the city for good strong white flours. Your best options are:

1.) Odlums Strong White Flour - any big tesco will have it - while I've tried lots of others it's actually probably the best of the bunch.

2.) Doves Farm Strong White Flour - Listons on Camden St. stock it - it's organic so a little more expensive but pretty good.

3.) Tesco carry one or two other strong whites but your mileage will vary with them.

4.) Fallon and Byrne sometimes stock a few strong whites too.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 lizm

Tesco have stopped doing their own brand, i used to buy it regualrly and now i can't justify paying the extra for the odlums brand which is over €1 more expensive!! : P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭dixiefly

ct_roy wrote: »
    I make a lot of pizza and have scoured the city for good strong white flours. Your best options are:

1.) Odlums Strong White Flour - any big tesco will have it - while I've tried lots of others it's actually probably the best of the bunch.

2.) Doves Farm Strong White Flour - Listons on Camden St. stock it - it's organic so a little more expensive but pretty good.

3.) Tesco carry one or two other strong whites but your mileage will vary with them.

4.) Fallon and Byrne sometimes stock a few strong whites too.

Best flour for pizza is "'00" grade flour. A great place to get this & other italian ingredients is Little Italy Ltd on North King street, just beside smithfield Square.

They also have other flours for Italian bread, yeast etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭jibberjive

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the update re Tesco, haven't been able to get the strong flour there for a while & thought it was just not on shelf because they never put much of it out.

Does anyone now where you can this even in bigger quantities cos the Odlums is very expensive.

They do it in Asda & Sainsburys but would much rather source it here

Any help would be appreciated

Thks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Wally Runs

I too am very intrested, I have emailed Odlums to see how one might get it in bulk as a domestic consumer! We wait.

Look forward to hearing how you get on Wally Runs.

Found a link to this company in Finglas so will give them a buzz in the morning & see what their prices are like.

Anyone know what price Musgraves charge ?

• Registered Users Posts: 26 lizm

I've seen it in marks & spencers. Its cheaper than odlums and its a slightly bigger bag than tesco's own flour was.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭ct_roy

jibberjive wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

Thanks for the update re Tesco, haven't been able to get the strong flour there for a while & thought it was just not on shelf because they never put much of it out.

Does anyone now where you can this even in bigger quantities cos the Odlums is very expensive.

They do it in Asda & Sainsburys but would much rather source it here

Any help would be appreciated

Thks

they do massive bags in Little Italy Ltd on North King street as dixiefly mentioned a while back. Should be much cheaper than any of the supermarkets as most stuff is in there.

Hi Guys,

Spoke to Little Italy today & they don't have it there :(

Will try couple more places on Monday, no M&S near me, did anyone pop in & check there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭brian ireland

Dunnes Stores sell it

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Drake66

My two nearest dunnes have it. My nearest supervalue has it. It saying that, sometimes you can go a few weeks without seeing it on the shelves in those shops.

Do Dunnes do their own brand or is it Odlums ?

Do Dunnes do their own brand or is it Odlums ?

Don't know if they have their own brand but I buy Odlums there

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Wally Runs

Most, if not all flour produced in Ireland (main brands) is Odlums. The only real difference is the packaging. There are smaller producers but you tend not to find them in the main stores. If your local Dunnes does not have it, then you should ask them to stock it. I have always been surprised how keen they are to do so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭JonnyF

Tesco in Dundrum have Tipo 00 flour and Odlums strong flour. it's tough to get though so i usually grab a few bags when i see it

Ok tried Musgraves & they only have the Odlums 2kg bags sold in bundles of 8 but they actually work out marginally dearer than both Superquinn & Tesco who both have it at €1.35 kg - so much for competition :rolleyes:

Ok not meaning to drag this into a shop local debate but how can the difference in price of the flours below be justified :mad:

Sainsbury's Strong White Bread Flour, Unbleached 1.5kg = .67p kg

ASDAVisit the product detail page forStrong White Flour = 45.3 kg

Odlums flour Tesco & Superquinn = €1.35 kg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Voltex

Ok not meaning to drag this into a shop local debate but how can the difference in price of the flours below be justified :mad:

Sainsbury's Strong White Bread Flour, Unbleached 1.5kg = .67p kg

ASDAVisit the product detail page forStrong White Flour = 45.3 kg

Odlums flour Tesco & Superquinn = €1.35 kg

Strong bakers flour is a commodity item and depending on how and when it was bought can have a significant effect on price.
    For example I buy it on the commerical market and pay < €0.42/kg.

Wow Voltex thats a great price! What quantity are you buying it in?

Well did you get it yet? :)

Hi Guys,

Ended up popping upto Springfield just before Belfast & stocked up for a couple of months at least at £1 for 1.5kg bag. Also got a couple of bags of the Canadian strong flour too for comparison.

I did get an email reply from Odlums saying they could give me a list of cash & carrys that stock the large bags but that they wont sell directly.

Unless Tesco start restocking their own brand I'll be doing a few trips north a year :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Voltex

Wow Voltex thats a great price! What quantity are you buying it in?
    I buy it on contract...I use approx 1000 tonnes pa (1000x1000kg).

Advertisement