Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Our options for TD in Athlone

Options
  • 01-02-2011 3:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭

With Boxer now running as an Independent it will be interesting to see if Mary O Rourke can hold on to her seat. Not only will it split the Athlone Vote but some ex FF followers might also support Boxer. I can see us having no TD from Athlone.
    Who else is running from the Local area?
    I presume Nicky McFadden(FG) and Hogan(SF) are also running. I think its very important to have a TD from Athlone

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BoB_BoT

Isn't McFadden a Senator? I don't think you can be both. Regardless, I don't particularly like her or Hogan's policies. So that leaves me with two options. I thought there were another one or two FG that ran last time?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,556 ✭✭✭roosterman71

I see Mary O'Rourke with big posters up around B&Q and the hospital. There the first ones I've seen

Labor posters were up at 7am this morning at the Bridge roundabout. You'd swear they were trying to get a prime spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Nicky McFadden called to my door this evening.

did she have anything of interest to say or just the usual political bull?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Salmon

Did she tell you that FG "Value" the public service! Nearly fell over when she told me that one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭sherdydan

With the poor quality of candidates in this constituancy, I think I shall be voting for Mary

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

sherdydan wrote: »
    With the poor quality of candidates in this constituancy, I think I shall be voting for Mary

May the Lord have mercy on your soul! You'd be better off spoiling your vote than trying to elect Rent-A-Quote

BoB_BoT wrote: »
    did she have anything of interest to say or just the usual political bull?

She said she's the only Athlone candidate who can be possibly be in Government, so vote for her. Also, even if you're not a FGer, please "lend" her your vote this time to make sure FF don't get back in, and take it back next time if she doesn't perform.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

She said she's the only Athlone candidate who can be possibly be in Government, so vote for her. Also, even if you're not a FGer, please "lend" her your vote this time to make sure FF don't get back in, and take it back next time if she doesn't perform.

Wow. substance = 0

She could at least have some value to her approach other than vote for me so FF dont get in

Mary O Rourke is not getting elected, neither is boxer moran, Paul Hogan and Nicky MacFadden

Willie Penrose will top the poll, and the other seats will be formed from any one of the following

James Bannon (FG)
    Peter Kelly (FF)
    Mae Sexton (Lab)

Mary is trying to run with the Hare and hunt with the hound. Non FF'ers dont buy it, Loyal FF'ers see through it and dont appreciate it.

Boxer doesnt have a chance - hes popular in athlone, but he wont be popular enough to get elected, because you need alot more votes to get elected TD

Ironically, i think it was a mistake for him to leave FF

• Advertisement

Nicky McFaddens people rolled through my estate this evening ... the woman who called to my door pretty much talked at me with a learned off speil. I think she tried to get the whole campaign out in one breath and at one stage I thought her eyes were going to pop out.

Then she turned and left and half way down the driveway she remembered that she forgot to ask me to actually vote for Nicky so she just kinda shouted it over her shoulder.

So congratulations motor mouth, you just cost your candidate a vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

Do you know was it her Cllr. sister?

In the build up to the local elections, she actually let it be printed in the paper....Oh sure my family is well involved in politics, people have been telling me I should run, so I may as well give it a go....or words to that effect. Can't find the article online unfortunatey.

And she got elected! :eek:

whyulittle wrote: »
    Do you know was it her Cllr. sister?

No, wasnt her.
    Didnt realise that was the sisters campaign slogan :o

• Registered Users Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

I think Boxer has a chance, if you look at the last election there is a lot of Fiana Fail Votes in the region, those votes need to go somewhere.

He is also very well liked in Athlone, especially amongst the youngish to middle aged voters, who wouldn't be the strongest for turning out, so its very possible that he'll pick up votes that way too.

And finally, I dont think there is a any party that is a clear favorite to lead, so there will be less party voting than before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭sherdydan

Saint_Mel wrote: »
    May the Lord have mercy on your soul! You'd be better off spoiling your vote than trying to elect Rent-A-Quote

no, shes the only candidate ive ever really seen doing anything in athlone town bar mcfadden, and i just prefer her to mcfadden so she will be getting my vote.

I havent jumped on the "fu*k fianna fail" wagon, im voting for candidate, not party.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 580 ✭✭✭IPushButtons

whyulittle wrote: »
    people have been telling me I should run, so I may as well give it a go....or words to that effect.

And she got elected! :eek:

Ive said it before and Ill say it again democracy just doesnt work

sherdydan wrote: »
    I havent jumped on the "fu*k fianna fail" wagon, im voting for candidate, not party.

Ehhh the candidate is the party so you most certainly are voting for party. The only way around that is to vote independent.

Saint_Mel wrote: »
    The only way around that is to vote independent.

Only if you vote for a real independent. Boxer is just pretending to be an independent to get on the ballot and avoid the anti-government vote.

Only if you vote for a real independent. Boxer is just pretending to be an independent to get on the ballot and avoid the anti-government vote.

A quote form my Dad on this matter
    I'll vote for boxer, but when he comes looking for the vote I'll tell him I'll give it to him, but if he goes back to FF, I'll shoot him

I think he was serious too :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭tubos

During the last local elections I didn't vote for Boxer as he was Fianna Fail, even though I thought he was very good at local level. Now that he is independent I would like to vote for him but I too just cannot trust that he won't get back into bed with FF. Hopefully he'll call to the door and I can grill him on the subject.

Also, for the last local elections there was an ex FF'er as an independent - Sheila Buckley Byrne or something, but fair play to her she didn't side with FF when she got elected which meant that FF didn't hold the balance of power. I'm open to correction though.

• Advertisement

According to this site, the last time Shelia Byrne ran was for town council in 04, She ran as FF and she didnt make it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,026 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

We really are screwed, FF need to be given a lesson, I think most folk agree with that but Boxer rode the FF ticket when the times were good so is pretty much a rat jumping when it suits him so he's lost my trust plus I'm not impressed by his lack of qualifications, I want my vote to count on a national level and see very little he could apply himself to in that regard, Mary and Boxer will split Athlone out of a TD is my feeling and Boxer knew if he stayed with FF that Mary would have got the FF ticket, for Athlone to have a TD Boxer ceding to Mary on the FF ticket was the preferred option so shame on you Boxer, shame on you to put yourself first and probably leave Athlone without a TD

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

slave1 wrote: »
    for Athlone to have a TD Boxer ceding to Mary on the FF ticket was the preferred option so shame on you Boxer, shame on you to put yourself first and probably leave Athlone without a TD

Nicky McFadden is from Athlone and is certain to get in. She's been in the Senate for the past while, so she'll be known at party level, unlike Boxer, who's never been more than 100 yards from the parish pump.

I wouldn't be surprised to see McFadden get a junior government job of some kind.

Minister of pet shops? :pac:

I'd say Nicky will get in.

According to this site, the last time Shelia Byrne ran was for town council in 04, She ran as FF and she didnt make it.

That site doesn't look correct, she's the current mayor of Athlone according to...

http://www.athlone.ie/udc/about_us/members.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭athlonelad

tubos wrote: »
    That site doesn't look correct, she's the current mayor of Athlone according to...

http://www.athlone.ie/udc/about_us/members.htm

It is right. The first link is from 2004. There was another local election in 2009

Your right too, its missing the 2009 Town Council Elections

http://electionsireland.org/result.cfm?election=2009T&cons=594

I just looked for her name and the 2004 one was the last one they had.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,026 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Reasonable stuff here

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

at least we know who our local mayor is now :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭Aldebaran

Why exactly is it important to have a TD from Athlone?

Advertisement