Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New wheels, circa 300 euro - thoughts?

• 01-02-2011 3:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭

I'd replied to another thread, but think maybe a new one would be better. (if Mods think not then delete away)

I'm looking at a new set of wheels after wearing out my Planet X model Cs. They've just under 5000kms on them, and the back one is shot. My budget is around 300 euro say, would be hoping to get something half decent for this. I'll be starting a club league in April, so I've my eye is firmly on that.

Any opinions on the Ksyrium Equipe, Easton EA50SL, and Fulcrum 5? I think they're around my price range

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭CheGuedara

Going on what ive seen from a quick kick around jedi-sports.de you've definitely got Ksyrium Equipe and Shimano Ultegra wheelsets in the price range and with a wee bit more (€365) you could even look at the Fulcrum Racing 3s.

They're all much of a muchness when it comes to weight but there are some differences when it comes to the hubs or rims.

• Shimano Ultegra - Tubeless compatible rims (also suitable for standard clinchers), cup and cone hubs (will spin really freely but requires a little more maintenance to keep them but still dead easy to service)
    • Mavic Kysrium Elite - Standard clincher rims but sealed bearing hubs (when the bearings get knackered you just pop them out, new ones in and the hub is good as new)
    • Fulcrum Racing 3 - Standard clincher rims, different spoking pattern (a marmite type thing; like campag wheels you either like it or loathe it), semi-sealed kind of bearings (almost a half way house between cup & cone and sealed - serviceable like the Shimanos to keep them sweet before getting to the point where they just need to be replaced when you just pop in a new bearing and race kit.
    I wouldn't be familiar with the Eastons but if they're batting around the same price point you're buying a quality wheelset.

I would say all things being equal, the wheels will all spin equally well and the maintenance on a modern wheelset isn't difficult - pick the ones you most like the look of or will suit your bike best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,141 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Fulcrums have a reputation for being strong but a complete b'stard to get some tyres on to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

Very hard to find anyone with a bad word to say about Pro-Lite Braccianos. You might be able to get them for a little more than your budget.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Fulcrum are made by Campagnolo. Their Sciroccos are in the same bracket as the Racing 5s. Only real difference is their spoke patterns. Hubs are easy to service in my opinion.

Don't have much experience with Mavic. Have heard a few people complain about the cheaper Eastons, because of hub problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭cormpat

I've a pair of Ultegra wheels for training & you can't go wrong with them. Don't know much about the other wheels mentioned above.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭joker77

Thanks guys, some wise words there. I like the "pick the ones you most like the look of or will suit your bike best." option, ha

I'm getting them in Joe Dalys, they have the Equipe which come in black so I'll probably go with them.

Excuse the 'noob' question here - it's mostly the back wheel that ends up going yea? I'm mean there's nothing wrong with the front wheel, so what would be the downside to just getting a new front wheel? (other than the obvious red card for breaking Euro rules, and looking like a Fred, but I'm on a tight budget these days as to what I can spend on the bike)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,141 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

joker77 wrote: »
    Excuse the 'noob' question here - it's mostly the back wheel that ends up going yea? I'm mean there's nothing wrong with the front wheel, so what would be the downside to just getting a new front wheel? (other than the obvious red card for breaking Euro rules, and looking like a Fred, but I'm on a tight budget these days as to what I can spend on the bike)

If you're on a tight budget, why not just get your existing back wheel serviced/repaired?

And there's nothing Freddish about non-matching wheels. Non-matching bidons is far more heinous a crime.

Lumen wrote: »
    If you're on a tight budget, why not just get your existing back wheel serviced/repaired?

And there's nothing Freddish about non-matching wheels. Non-matching bidons is far more heinous a crime.
    I already have non-matching bidons... the shame....

The back wheel is knackered and can't be fixed. Those Planet X model Cs aren't that great

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 618 ✭✭✭jdt101

http://www.bike-palast.com/en/Racebike/Wheelsets/Fulcrum-Racing-3-Clincher-2010-oxid.html?force_sid=st2k7hniaahrtc0akfo5fimpt5

Fulcrum 3, very good wheelset.

I've been using them as winter/training wheels, no problems.

I fit tyres by hand with no problems, in reply to above comments.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭Paul Kiernan

I don't know much about wheels but the Bracciano's are often recommended here and some very good reviews from cycling mags. Do a search back on the forum and you'll get links. Ribble do them for under £200 but don't have Shimano in stock at the moment.

Also Merlin seem to be doing some good deals.

What happened your Model-C's? I have them and noticed after my spin today that the freewheel is making a horrible noise. Instead of click, click, click there's a horrible grating noise between the clicks if you move it slowly, like a spring is rubbing off something:(. Only been running them on a winter bike since Autumn, can't be much more than 2000km.

• Advertisement

What happened your Model-C's? I have them and noticed after my spin today that the freewheel is making a horrible noise. Instead of click, click, click there's a horrible grating noise between the clicks if you move it slowly, like a spring is rubbing off something:(. Only been running them on a winter bike since Autumn, can't be much more than 2000km.
    First the free hub seized - that was fixed. That was after less than 1000kms I'd say. Then the bearings went after another thousand. Dunno what the story is now, but the mechanic reckons the back wheel is knackered

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

Bike24 have the Fulcrum Racing 3 for 310euro at the moment, which seems like a good price if you are leaning towards those wheels already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭levitronix

Only knackered one set of wheels and the front wore out first, the rim had wore down so much from braking that the weld cracked

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Lemag

This is a thread started yesterday inquiring about Pro-Lite Bracciano wheels. As mentioned in the thread they can be bought very cheaply from Ribble at the moment but only for Compag.

Yea I saw that thread on the Pro-Lites, look a good buy.

But I've decided on the 2011 Mavic Ksryium Equipe. Only because they'll hopefully look good with the bike, obviously

55222.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Selection criteria approved. Lots of luck with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

doozerie wrote: »
    Bike24 have the Fulcrum Racing 3 for 310euro at the moment, which seems like a good price if you are leaning towards those wheels already.

That's a good deal. They only seem to have campag-compatible at the moment.

A couple of pics of the new wheels:

146395.jpg

146396.jpg

Advertisement