Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adding a freezer to a room with no sockets

• 01-02-2011 3:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭

Hi All,
    As the title says I'm adding a freezer to a room with no sockets. The room is a hall, there is electricity in the room in the form of a fuse board (old type with screw in ceramic fuses). I have 2 ideas of how to go about this.
    1st Idea:
    This is likely the easiest idea, I will place a socket with a built in RCD where I want and then run a cable to the bottom of the main fuse. This way I have protection from the main fuse and the RCD in teh socket.
    2nd Idea:
    This may be beyond me but I would give it a go anyway and if I run into problems call a sparks. I would replace the whole fuse board with a more up to date setup with a full set of circuit breakers and an RCD and then just place a standard socket where I want.
    It would be helpfull if anybody could point out problems or give better solutions.
    Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

If you run a cable into the main fuse you will have a socket with up to 80 amps in it,find the screw in fuse for your other sockets use that for live, and use the neutral bar to complete your circuit,there will be a earth bar in there as well.Perhaps a sparks might be the way to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Get a sparks in to change the consumer unit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭meercat

agree with above posters
    you need the board updated
    get a sparks to sort it out
    he will add a dedicated freezer circuit when he is replacing the board
    some jobs should not be tackled by d.i.y

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭sky6

You would be safer getting a sparks to install the new board with a dedicated socket and mcb for the freezer. Freezers have compressors which can effect other equipment as well as pulling a fair load when they kick in. The new CU will have an rcb built into it.

Advertisement