Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DT211 - Computing - FEES

Options
  • 01-02-2011 3:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭

Hey Guys & Girls,

Ive applied for DT211 on the CAO, im coming from a FETAC Level 5 background - anyone else in a simular situation? - need a distiction in programming! hopefully ill get it!

Any DT 211 Students want to give me the low down? how are you enjoying it etc... - and what are the fees i havet seen this anywere!

Cheers

Robert.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Will you be entering the course as an "advanced entry" student, and going straight into 2nd year?

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭oB1

Will you be entering the course as an "advanced entry" student, and going straight into 2nd year?

No im applying trough the cao - but because ive two FETAC level 5's im also making an advanced entry as advised by a course head!

No im applying trough the cao - but because ive two FETAC level 5's im also making an advanced entry as advised by a course head!

So will you be starting as a first year? Or will you be going straight into 2nd??

I'm in DT211 year 2 at the minute, and i know the advance entry students that entered straight into 2nd year are finding it very tough.

So will you be starting as a first year? Or will you be going straight into 2nd??

I'm in DT211 year 2 at the minute, and i know the advance entry students that entered straight into 2nd year are finding it very tough.

Hopefully i'll start the first year - as Ive friends starting as first years also - ill see how it goes, im applying VIA advanced entry because i want to give myself the best possible chance of getting in!

Hopefully i'll start the first year - as Ive friends starting as first years also - ill see how it goes, im applying VIA advanced entry because i want to give myself the best possible chance of getting in!

Ah i get you.

I find the course is okay, it's not particularly tough, so long as you do what the lecturers ask you'll fly through it. You'll be doing C programming in 1st year, you don't need to have any prior knowledge of it, but it's handy if you do.

• Advertisement

Ah i get you.

I find the course is okay, it's not particularly tough, so long as you do what the lecturers ask you'll fly through it. You'll be doing C programming in 1st year, you don't need to have any prior knowledge of it, but it's handy if you do.

Cool - Yes ive a good lot of knowledge on C++ so shouldn't be too bad, its the networking/server/os/computer stuff im really looking forward to though - What are the fees do you know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

it's not particularly tough.

Not yet:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 580 ✭✭✭IPushButtons

Please note Capitation Fee is now E2,000 not E1,500

http://www.dit.ie/registration/feesandgrants/fees/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

Hey,
    Im in 4th year of Computing at the moment. I got in the same as yourself with a level 5 Fetac in computer programming (needed that distinction as well) into first year. There are a lot of people who got into 2nd year with a level 6 fetac but i think i was the only one doing a level 5.

Anyway if you know some C++ you should be fine for first year, most first year subjects are alright, watch out for algorithms though a lot of people failed that in first year i think, its pretty confusing for beginners.

It's an alright course, the CCNA stuff isnt as good as i expected so i dont really know as much as id like about it at this stage. The programming stuff is good, the only thing that kind of sucks is you have to do a "final year project" in 3rd year even if you're going into 4th year. So you end up having a lot more stress than you need in 3rd year. Then you have to do it all over again in 4th year. Personally if i had the choice now i would do Computer Science instead but that's just me.

Advertisement