Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Too old for competeing?

• 01-02-2011 4:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 195 ✭✭

Hi folks
    just a quick question if anyone can spare their time
    i come from a martial arts background but it was about 6 years ago when i stopped training and was non competitive. a few months ago a mate of mine asked me to go with him to a muay thai event in the boxing arena and i was stunned by the atmosphere so i was thinking when the summer comes around and i have time on my hands i was thinking about starting muay thai meself.
    im turning 25 in two months time and i know you cant just jump straight into competitions and takes a good while to even come near to that standard but i was wondering would i be too old to start thinking about competeing at when i reach that stage?
    any info or replies would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

You're not too old. :) If you train regularly you can jump in for a novice fight within a reasonable amount of time (the frequency of your training is usually the biggest factor determining how long).

I'd say start heading to classes and take it from there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 195 ✭✭00MARTZ00

thanks khannie was hoping for that exact answer! unfortunately im up to my n*ts in college and will be for the next 3 months but straight after that im getting stuck in!
    thanks again!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Doug Cartel

00MARTZ00 wrote: »
    unfortunately im up to my n*ts in college and will be for the next 3 months but straight after that im getting stuck in!
    thanks again!
    Obviously you know your schedule better than me, so it's your call to make, but you're always going to be up to your nuts with work or something, or at least it's always going to feel that way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 143 ✭✭lil-evil

And just to add to the above quotes-

Do it as soon as you can as regard the training 2-3 times a week or more if possible. i got into to it oo late and had hoped to get to a fighting standard but with work, kids, dogs, and a g/f doing night college course it's only possible to do 1 class a week so il never get there. So my advice would be to do it before it's too late

thanks for the advise lads snd i know exactly where your coming from. the only problem with starting now is that the next 2 and a half to 3 months are the most intense of the year. we were also trown into the deep end regarding the course as most of us are qualified electricians so went straight into the second year.
    come september we will be much better prepared for the next year as we will know what to expect.
    all i can say is roll on mid april so i can get the ball rolling haha!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Good luck with it. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83 ✭✭Steba

Its not a question of age! More a question of fitness and what your body can handle!

Good luck with it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭p to the e

woah. I'm 25 and never even considered that I was too old for competing. I plan to have my first MMA fight before I'm 27 and go from there. And that willl only be the beginning. No way is 25 or anywhere near it a cut off point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

"Too old?" - I love it when a 25yr old poses that question, it makes me feel good that I'm 45 on March 9th and will hopefully knock another few points off my (Judo) black belt when I fight two weeks later.

OP, I realize its hard when your in college. But you have to be greedy with your time and take back some 'me time' and pursue your goals.

Another option is to take up a style where you won't have to compete, but I always think 'why bother'. If I wasn't competing I'd get bored, lose focus and move onto something a little more challenging.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭bigdogbarking

I'm 29 in march and i'm taking my first mma fight the same month, less than a year after starting training, although I have a martial arts background, it was never competitive or serious,more so as just an outlet for my agression, but i'm hoping to have at least 2 more fights this year too, although that hugely depends on the severity of the kicking i get in my first fight lol

There are quite a few lads who started training recently in our club with the goal of competing and they are all over 25, so go for it!
    As they say, you're never too old, you're only as old as the woman you feel!

• Advertisement

Thanks for all the feedback folks really positive, helpfull and exactly what i was hoping to hear. already dying to get started and as i said next year in college i will be much better prepared regarding time management so when i start around april i wont have any excuses not to keep going haha! im looking to make this life long training! Thanks again all.

Advertisement