Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cemeteries in Limerick

• 01-02-2011 4:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24

Hi,

Does anyone know where St Munchin's (Roman Catholic) cemetery in Limerick is? I found an inscription on my great great grandmother's grave in Mount St. Lawrence cemetery, that her husband is "interred in St Munchin's". I do not know when he died, but guess it was anytime between 1860 and 1889.

I know that St Munchin's Church of Ireland cemetery is near St John's Castle. When I was in Limerick last year, I did go into this graveyard on the off chance that I would find his grave. But as he was RC, it is unlikely that he would have been buried in the the CoI cemetery.

Thanks for anyone who can assists me!

Kind regards,

Aoibhinn

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Before anyone else crucifies you for it, that should be King John's Castle. There were no saints building castles in Limerick ;)

Best of luck with the search. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,507 ✭✭✭sioda

I could be wrong but isnt there some grave on the site of St Munchins catholic church alsi IIRC the COI st munchins was at one stage a catholic church so the same graveyard may have been shared

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Bicycle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,341 ✭✭✭✭phog

Aoibhinn wrote: »
    Hi,

Does anyone know where St Munchin's (Roman Catholic) cemetery in Limerick is? I found an inscription on my great great grandmother's grave in Mount St. Lawrence cemetery, that her husband is "interred in St Munchin's". I do not know when he died, but guess it was anytime between 1860 and 1889.

I know that St Munchin's Church of Ireland cemetery is near St John's Castle. When I was in Limerick last year, I did go into this graveyard on the off chance that I would find his grave. But as he was RC, it is unlikely that he would have been buried in the the CoI cemetery.

Thanks for anyone who can assists me!

Kind regards,

Aoibhinn

Afaik, both denominations are buried in that graveyard.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭baza1976

There is a very old grave yeard in killely (spelling) out past thomond park. I don't know what the name of this graveyard is but it is not too far from St Munchins church.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,341 ✭✭✭✭phog

baza1976 wrote: »
    There is a very old grave yeard in killely (spelling) out past thomond park. I don't know what the name of this graveyard is but it is not too far from St Munchins church.

There are two (I think) one up a laneway between Walters fuel depot and Eurospar shopping centre at Watchouse Cross and then there's one off Killeey Rd, opp the little industrial units and "Pick of the Crop".

Watchouse Cross

Kileely Rd

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Dumdum McCarthy

Paupers grave known as years ago in Kileely.There is a new plaque on the wall down a lane between walters and euorspar.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Aoibhinn

Thanks everyone for all your posts.... The Limerick's Life website contains a lot of interesting information and pics - thanks Bicycle!

The archives of Limerick City Council http://www.limerickcorp.ie/archives/ contains a wealth of Limerick history. I think it is one of the best local authority websites in the country. I have been able to find a lot of information about my family via this website.

Regarding St Munchin's RC graveyard, I think I would have to contact St Munchin's church to see if they have any burial records.

Does anyone know if there would have been any reason why a woman would not have been buried with her husband? In the case of my g-g-grandmother, when she died in 1907, she was buried in a grave with her son who died in 1893, but her husband (who died anything up to 40 years earlier) was interred in St Munchins. I have heard that there was a tradition that when a wife dies, she is often buried with her parents and her husband is buried with his family. Has anyone else come across this tradition?

Thanks again for all your contributions.

Advertisement