Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rent Allowence Not Accepted

Options
  • 01-02-2011 4:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭

Im sure this is here already but im using a crappy phone to write this:

I'll be looking for a place soon and was wondering, when the ad says "rent allowence not accepted" what happens if you lose your job after 6 months of a 12 month lease? I not talking about defaulting on the lease or not paying rent, Im just wondering if they'll ask you to leave or if they'll accept it mid lease but not starting out,

Ive never rented before so im sorry if this is a simple question,

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Penguino

Hi

You'll have to ask yourself will you be able to pay the rent if you lose your jobs? Will rent allowance cover the rent if you are unemployed?

As a tenant it is up to you to pay the rent after you have made the commitment through a lease

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

As a tenant it is up to you to pay the rent after you have made the commitment through a lease

The rent would be paid, just that some would be rent allowence...

Im talking about paying the rent, in full, but to include rent allowence,

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Penguino

Once you run it by the landlord at the start it should be OK

Wouldnt like to say that to a landlord before signing the lease :D

"I may lose my job soon"

*Landlord rips contract*

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

IPAM wrote: »
    ...Im just wondering if they'll ask you to leave or if they'll accept it mid lease but not starting out,...

I'm sure it would depend on the landlord. Everyones different. I'd imagine that their reasons for not taking RA wouldn't have changed mid lease.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭Ricardo G

I thought Landlords could not refuse rent allownace by law?

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭t0mm13b

Some landlords will refuse it on the grounds that they havent told the taxman that they have an "extra" hidden income.... just saying....it happened before... I tried to get tax back on the rent, and they refused to disclose their PPS number...

Just my 2cents...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Oh_Noes

To be honest, if a landlord has specified "Rent Allowance Not Accepted" in the first place then you're best to stay clear. If they can't be arsed to fill out a form for you once every three months then they're not going to be much good when it comes to needing the dryer repaired etc...

If they're refusing it on some kind of ideological grounds then I'd suggest they're likely to be even more clueless. Not as if someone can ever be "laid off" from rent allowance, so long as the landlord keeps the forms filled, his tenant has enough money to pay the rent.

It is a renter's market right now so I'd advise you look around a bit more rather than dealing with this kind of thing. Last thing you need is a landlord who doesn't know what he's doing.

That so many refuse RA, suggests they don't have a problem getting non RA tenants to rent their properties.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Oh_Noes

BostonB wrote: »
    That so many refuse RA, suggests they don't have a problem getting non RA tenants to rent their properties.

There aren't many. Especially not on Daft.ie. When I was unemployed and looking for accommodation there was about one in ten that specified rent allowance not accepted.

I would agree with you if "so many" did indeed refuse RA. But they just don't.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭aN.Droid

Oh_Noes wrote: »
    There aren't many. Especially not on Daft.ie. When I was unemployed and looking for accommodation there was about one in ten that specified rent allowance not accepted.

I would agree with you if "so many" did indeed refuse RA. But they just don't.

On daft.ie if I searh for rentals in Limerick city I get 327 hits. Now if I go to advanced search and put it rent allowance accepted it goes to a paltry 36 rentals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

t0mm13b wrote: »
    Some landlords will refuse it on the grounds that they havent told the taxman that they have an "extra" hidden income.... just saying....it happened before... I tried to get tax back on the rent, and they refused to disclose their PPS number...

Just my 2cents...

There are other reasons...Rent Allowance tenants are likely to spend more time in the property than working tenants, RA is paid in arrears rather in advance, RA is paid to tenants rather than landlords and not all tenants like to pass it on to the landlord...and a whole slew of others.

You don't need your landlord's PPS number to collect rent tax relief. Just fill in all the details you have about them and you should get it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭edellc

athtrasna wrote: »
    There are other reasons...Rent Allowance tenants are likely to spend more time in the property than working tenants, RA is paid in arrears rather in advance, RA is paid to tenants rather than landlords and not all tenants like to pass it on to the landlord...and a whole slew of others.

You don't need your landlord's PPS number to collect rent tax relief. Just fill in all the details you have about them and you should get it.

:confused: spend more time in the property???? whats that to you once you rent it out its not up to you how much time someone spends in their rental accommodation

yes its paid in arrears but once you get a deposit and mths rent in advance of moving its the same as non RA tenants

wages are paid to the tenant rather that the LL and the rent may or may not be passed on to the LL i've know a few ppl who work and dont pay rent

and a whole slew of others - do enlighten us of this slew

LL's on the whole dont take RA tenants because they dont want to pay tax plain and simple LL's can dress it up what ever way they like but there really is only one reason they dont take RA

edellc wrote: »
    ....LL's on the whole dont take RA tenants because they dont want to pay tax plain and simple LL's can dress it up what ever way they like but there really is only one reason they dont take RA

Once again the irony of accepting sweeping generalizations on one side of argument only.

If you think LL's are all criminals, theres not a lot of difference between that attitude, and LL thinking all RA are problem tenants. Neither is helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

LL's on the whole dont take RA tenants because they dont want to pay tax plain and simple LL's can dress it up what ever way they like but there really is only one reason they dont take RA
    You think all LL's that don't accept RA are criminals, and yet you think that all those on RA are not criminals :rolleyes:

I'd say everyone that doesn't accept RA has gotten burnt by an RA tenant, or knows someone who has. The tenet getting the RA on time is not guaranteed, nor is them getting the other percentage, as many will buy food ahead of paying the rent. This may seem logical, but in the end, the LL doesn't get his money.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

Im just wondering if they'll ask you to leave or if they'll accept it mid lease but not starting out,

I would have thought they were more likely to accept it mid lease. My expectation is that landlords have a conception regarding RA tenants, and that your 6 months with him at that stage would out weigh that preconception.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

:confused: spend more time in the property???? whats that to you once you rent it out its not up to you how much time someone spends in their rental accommodation

yes its paid in arrears but once you get a deposit and mths rent in advance of moving its the same as non RA tenants

wages are paid to the tenant rather that the LL and the rent may or may not be passed on to the LL i've know a few ppl who work and dont pay rent

and a whole slew of others - do enlighten us of this slew

We have rented out our house as we both had properties. We are fully registered, tax compliant, BER Cert, the works - and we don't accept Rent Allowance.

At the end of the day it's our call but as The Syco says, we know too many people who have been burned by the system - either with payment issues or damage. A quick search on here will bring up plenty of similar stories.

Regarding time spent in the property, it increases wear and tear on fixtures and fittings.

It's also harder to get references for RA tenants. Work references are much more reliable than previous landlords as it's much easier to verify, than a fake landlord reference, with a contact number for their mate.

It may seem an unfair generalisation not to accept RA, but if we can rent the house out to non RA tenants, that is what we'll do. Maybe we'll re-examine in the future but for now it's not an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭Bubs99

As everyone knows, it is now the recession and thousands have lost their jobs or might soon and now must rely on social welfare and have no choice.

It can be difficult to get ads on daft that say rent allowance accepted but many are not specified either.

I have had to use rent allowance for years as I cannot work full time (i am epileptic) and I have had so many problems with landlords not being understanding and judging me straight away.

I have always been an excellent tenant and yes I am in my late 20's and I was also a student (which also caused alot of problems with LL's), I have always paid my bills on time and rent and I actually enjoy cleaning! Plus I am not what many would say a "typical" 20 something year old who has parties and drinks alot.

I am simply saying LL's should give everyone a chance and i believe the reason most LL's wont accept rent allowance is due to not wanting to pay tax and are not registered.

Atleast I can trust the registered ones in case of any problems that may occur and by the way...ALL my references are REAL and genuine written/typed and signed by the landlords.

Please dont judge too soon!

Bubs99 wrote: »
    .... I have had so many problems with landlords not being understanding and judging me straight away. ...

i believe the reason most LL's wont accept rent allowance is due to not wanting to pay tax and are not registered.....

Prejudging seems very common....

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I am simply saying LL's should give everyone a chance and i believe the reason most LL's wont accept rent allowance is due to not wanting to pay tax and are not registered.
    Christ all f**king mighty.

So let me get this straight: if you don't accept RA, you're a tax dodging landlord? ROFL :pac:

"I am simply saying" that every single landlord that doesn't accept RA tenets been burnt in the past, and have paid over €1000 to replace broken furniture, windows, doors, carpets, etc, after they've eventually gotten rid of the non-rent paying RA tenet.

Oh yes, these "tar every muthaf**ka brushes" can go both ways :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭Bubs99

I and many others were just giving opinions and comments.
    No need to get nasty.

I see your point totally, I have lived in houses with other tenants who caused alot of problems and in apartments where neighbours regualarly had drug sessions and fighting went on etc.
    Call me a tell tail but yes...i reported and they got kicked out!

Landlords can be strict and make sure referances are genuine and theres a reason for a deposit...incase of damage and non paid rent!!!I have been conned by landlords before so now I make sure they are registered and that I have rights by law if things go awol.

Eg: last house I rented...new furniture, new laminated floors, carpet and freshly painted walls...within 6 months...mould and damp had taken over the entire house. We tried EVERYTHING and had to throw out clothes and scrub the walls. It was all a CON for money!!!

Thanks for all the replies but most arent answering the question,

What would happen if 6 months into a 12 month lease I had to use RA to pay LL who at the begining stated no RA accepted? (In your opinion, as I know it will differ from LL to LL)

Again im not talking about not paying rent, just that it would not be cash/DD as it was at the begining, I mean surely the LL would have gotten to know me in the 6 months enough to know im not gonna wreck the place

p.s. Im sure there are some who wreck the place after 6,7 or 10 months but I wouldnt

Thanks for all the replies but most arent answering the question,...

No one can answer the question it depends on the landlord. No offense, but its like asking do we know the LL favorite color. While the landlord can't evict you for switching to RA specifically. Theres many ways of finding a reason to evict you, like saying they plan to sell it, then once you are gone changing their mind. You'd have to be given correct notice though.

Obviously if you are a perfect tenant. Then they might change their mind and accept it from you based on their experience with you do that point. equally they may just not want to go down that route.

BostonB wrote: »
    No one can answer the question it depends on the landlord. No offense, but its like asking do we know the LL favorite color. While the landlord can't evict you for switching to RA specifically. Theres many ways of finding a reason to evict you, like saying they plan to sell it, then once you are gone changing their mind. You'd have to be given correct notice though.

Obviously if you are a perfect tenant. Then they might change their mind and accept it from you based on their experience with you do that point. equally they may just not want to go down that route.

I would hope the bold would happen

but I'll rephrase, any LL on here? What would you do in this situation?

• Registered Users Posts: 35 shubj

Myself and partner are RA tenants age 21 and 23. Anytime our rent allowance has been messed up we have put rent over food. Our previous landlord we rented 4 houses from! He would give us an excellent reference. Yes a real one! The house we are in now out of our own money that we have put aside each week we have repainted nearly all the walls in the house now, just some rooms upstairs to do. We have replaced some carpet on the stairs that was awfully worn and tatty when we moved in (the walls were filthy when we moved in now a lovely CLEAN magnolia). We had the chimney swept the other day. They said it looked like it hadn't been done before it badly needed doing. The boiler broke and we tried to contact our landlord so many times but couldn't get through. In the end we sourced the part as cheaply as we could, got someone in to do the job, have receipts to give to the landlord as it was all we could do. We care about the house we live in wether it is our own or not. Not being mean but my partner could come across a bit 'nackerish looking' :-P and I have my days too. It is easy to judge and generalise and say you don't accept rent allowance to avoid a whole host of problems and yes there are certain druggy types (we are also non smokers, rarely drink). We are a good example, even if rare, of young people on RA that really care about our home. Oh yeah and we have 2 big dogs to add to the mix of undesirable. They are only allowed in the sitting room and garden so they don't run all around the house. They get their freedom when out on walks. I do understand why landlords write this as I know a lot of people around my age that really don't respect where they live. Though I think if a landlord has wrote this and you get in touch with them and let them see who you are and that you are a genuine tenant and they look into your references etc then they may consider you anyway. They just want their property looked after at the end of the day. If I owned a house and was putting it up for rent I would probably be particular about who took it on too. Nobody wants large repair bills, sometimes bigger than the deposit. There are still things that need doing in this house that really bug us that the previous tenants have let happen like the carpet upstairs need replacing but some things are well beyond our budget and we would feel cheeky asking the landlord as we imagine it would be very pricey. Apologies for the essay but I wasn't able to squeeze what I wanted to say any smaller.

...Landlords can be strict and make sure referances are genuine and theres a reason for a deposit...incase of damage and non paid rent!!!I have been conned by landlords before so now I make sure they are registered and that I have rights by law if things go awol.

A deposit it not there to cover rent. You can't cover rent and damages, because the deposit is not big enough. TBH it rarely big enough to cover damages. A deposit has practical limits.
    Eg: last house I rented...new furniture, new laminated floors, carpet and freshly painted walls...within 6 months...mould and damp had taken over the entire house. We tried EVERYTHING and had to throw out clothes and scrub the walls. It was all a CON for money!!!

Thats a slightly different and very specific issue. Unrelated to this topic. Theres other threads about mould and/or damp because it can be caused by more than just damp. But its not really anything to do with this topic.

Just to add our landlord only has to fill in a form every 6 months and we get the rent allowance paid directly to us so we just pay him the full amount into his bank account every Friday. It doesn't affect him as long as it is paid of course!

I would hope the bold would happen

but I'll rephrase, any LL on here? What would you do in this situation?

I know a few LL's. Some say they would accept it, some no. Its come up in discussion before. Some agents, are ok with it, some aren't.

shubj wrote: »
    Myself and partner are RA tenants age 21 and 23. ....

You need to break that up its almost unreadable.

You should be aware that, you could be breaking the terms of your rental agreement doing work on a house without the LL approval.

Sounds like you need to move to a place with a better LL.

• Advertisement

BostonB we made sure to repaint the walls the exact same colour hence the magnolia. Apologies for the poor puntuation in previous post, baby in arms typing one handed has it's down sides!
    I would move except for the location and the house is beautiful other than its cosmetic damage caused by previous tenants.
    I just hope the landlord notices what good tenants we were when we eventually decide to leave.

Advertisement