Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Belly, I won't miss you!

Options
  • 01-02-2011 5:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

I've decided to start up a training log to monitor my attempted weight loss progress. I've read hundreds of logs and people seem motivated by typing out their workouts and diet plans, and having them analysed by other readers. So i'm just gonna start this as most others do :)

Height: 5"11
    Weight: 115kg ~
    Body fat %: Unsure at the moment, ****ty internet calculators giving me wildly different figures. I'm sure the percentage is fairly high though.

For the last two weeks I have began a boxing style training circuit run by my local boxing trainer at his home gym 3 times a week(Mon, Wed, Fri). Along with this I have been going to the gym, a couple of hours before training and also on the alternate days when training isn't on.

I am going to try explain the typical training workout. It lasts for 1hr but is non-stop and can be exhausting if the effort is put in. It starts at 6:30pm.

Warm -up: Various stretches, loosening of all the joints.

3 minutes per round, and 13 rounds per session.

Round 1: 2 minutes on the bag with gloves. Combination of Jab, Cross, Cross, Jab, non stop for two minutes.
    15 seconds to choose machine and weight
    Pec-deck: 30 seconds, 45lbs (i think the stack is in lbs), around 15-20 reps.
    15 seconds to get back to bag and gloves on.
    Round 2: 2 minutes. Combination of Cross, Jab, Jab, Cross
    Upper back machine: 35, for around 15-20reps
    Round 3: 2 minutes. Combination of Jab, Cross, Hook (body), Hook(head)
    Leg Curl: 80 for 12 reps
    Round 4: 2 minutes on pads in the ring with trainer. You could be asked into the ring at any round depending on who's turn it is. Combination: Jab, Uppercut, Hook, Cross
    Leg Extension: 40 for 12 reps
    Round 5: 2 minutes. Combination of Jab, Cross, Jab, Cross
    Shoulder Press: 50 for 15 reps
    Round 6: 2 minutes. Combination of Cross, Jab, Cross, Jab
    Lat-Pulldown: 45 for 15 reps
    Round 7: 2 minutes. Combination of Hook(body, left hand), Hook(body, right hand), and 2 hooks to the head, both hands
    Chest Press: 45 for 12 reps
    Round 8: 2 minutes. same as above but using right hand first.
    16kg bat, hitting a huge tractor tyre for the 30 seconds(very tiring)
    Round 9: 2 minutes. A bag which hangs from a rail which is inclined. The bag can move along the rail and the wheel above is hooked to a bungy chord which is stretching from the bag to the starting point. So the bag is rolling down toward you as it is on the incline and it has an elastic bungy chord which pushes it toward you more. So you have 10 seconds to keep it at the top of the incline with repeated punches and 20 seconds rest for 3 sets. This interval training is by far the hardest round of the circuit and is exhausting
    Kettle Bells: 16kg bell front raises using both arms for 20 reps
    Round 10: 2 minutes. combination of Cross, Jab, Hook(body), Hook(head)
    Sitting on the floor, a bar connected to a stack and you have to pull it with your back straight and abs drawn, like rowing without the back motion, if you get me? :), 200 lbs for 15 reps
    Round 11: 2 minutes. Combination of Jab, Jab, Cross, Hook
    Huge Docking Rope: Grab the rope at the end and make ripples, at a high intensity(exhausting)
    Round 12: 2 minutes: Jab, Cross, Hook, Cross
    Press Ups: A terrible attempt really, but getting better
    Round 13: 2 minutes. Mix it up on the bag using all the combos from earlier in the night.
    Army sand bag? A sort of heavy sand bag to be swung around the head.

15 minutes of stomach exercizes including various crunches, leg raises, sit ups etc
    Warm-down is basically the warm up with some tweaks.

Sorry for the drawn out explanation but now that its there it wont have to be explained again i suppose. All exercizes on the circuit go in a different order every session as other people start on different machines and there is no set order. The training can be really tough if the intensity is maintained throughout. I'm always fit for bed after it anyway.

Anywhooo, not finished yet :cool:
    My gym workout at the minute only consists of cardio, but i'd like to add some weight training to it as soon as possible, if someone could give me tips as to what i should do. I'm familiar with weights and all the various lifts, but im confused as to which would benefit my goals.

Gym workout: I usually go at around 11am
    Stationary Bike: 5km usually in about 7:30 to 8 minutes- 100 calories ~
    Crosstrainer: 3mins at level 5 and 2mins at level 7, repeated 3 times to give me 15mins- 150-170 calories depending on intesity
    Rowing Machine: 15 minutes, usually getting up to around 3km- 150 calories ~
    Threadmill: 20 minutes with 1 minute at 4.5km and 1 minute at 11.5km, and back to 4.5 for 1min and so on. I keep this interval for 20 minutes and usually burn about 170 calories.

These figures for calories burned are PBs, for the respected exercizes so i burn around 500 calories per session i'd say.

I usually finish the workout with stomach exercizes, like planks, crunches, back extensions and side extensions. I usually spend about an hour and 10 mins per session. I attend the gym about 5 times per week. But i do nothing on sundays, my day off lets say.

My Diet: I'll use yesterdays diet as a typical intake for me
    10am: Breakfast: Porridge with one small spoonfull of sugar
    Gym
    2pm: Snack: Slice of pineapple, an orange, a few pieces of cooked chicken from the packet
    6.30pm: Training
    8pm: Dinner: Roast chicken breast with mashed sweet potato and baby carrots, with gravy sometimes.
    Maybe an apple or banana later on if im hungry.

I'd love if someone could critique my diet and tell me what i should lean towards eating. I am in no way a fussy eater, i like most things. Also i'd love if someone could tell me whether i should look into getting any certain vitamins or supplements. And as I said before, if anyone has any tips with regards the weight training route i should take, id appreciate it.
    Sorry for the drawn out post, but even before i've finished it, i feel that sense of motivation that i mentioned before... weird :)
    Thanks,
    Aaron. :D:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

hitting a huge tractor tyre for the 30 seconds(very tiring)

Great exercise.
    A sort of heavy sand bag to be swung around the head.

It's called a maize bag.

Best of luck on your endeavours lad, stick at it!

• Registered Users Posts: 17 aarglynn

FTA69 wrote: »
    It's called a maize bag.

Best of luck on your endeavours lad, stick at it!

Maize bag, that's the one!
    And thanks.. sure i'm gonna give it a go

Was up at half 9 so i headed over to the gym for half 10. I stayed with just cardio today and i think I will for this week and add some weight training in next Monday.

Gym Workout:

Warm-up:
    Various stretches followed by a set of leg curls and leg presses to wake my legs up.

Stationary Bike: 5kms in 9:45; effort level 7; RPM 145+; Calories burned: 105; speed kept above 130

Crosstrainer: 1.18kms in 15.00; effort level 5; RPM 155+; Calories burned: 161; speed kept above 130

Rowing Machine: 2.77kms in 15.00; 38 strokes/min average; Calories burned: 155

Threadmill: 1min @ 4.5kms/hr followed by 1min@ 11.0kms/hr for 20 mins; 2.67kms in 20.00; RPM 155+; Calories burned: 170

Rowing Machine messed up my left hip flexor which has been at me for a while, so i decided to leave out my stomach exercizes and head home.

Distance Travelled: 11.62kms (PB)
    Time: Was in the gym for just over an hour
    Calories Burned: 591 (PB)

I have training later on also at 6:30 which should be a good workout within itself so that should push my diet into a nice calorie deficit for the day. I'm thinking i should get a heart rate monitor to analyse the workout and see what im actually burning.

I'll put up my food intake for the day later on tonight when i know what i have. :)

Just back from training, and i'm in bits to say the least. really good session tonight, good tunes on and a real high intensity from everyone which kept us going. Decided to up the weight on the exercize machines to see how i coped. Glad to say it went well. Hopefully there will be a lot more gains in the coming weeks. Sessions seem to tire me more than the gym, whether thats down to it being more difficult or the fact that its very high paced i don't know, but i'd love to see some figures as to what i'm burning and my heart rate.

Diet today has been pretty good, not a lot to it but i haven't had much of an appetite today so here we are:

9:30: Slice of cold pineapple, glass of orange juice.
    Gym
    12:30: Salad of chicken, bacon, lettuce, sweetcorn, cucumber and some coleslaw, was about 200g
    16:30: 1 small fillet of chicken, mandarin orange
    Training
    19:45: 1 small fillet of chicken, mashed sweet potato and gravy
    Maybe a banana or another orange this evening.

Back in the gym in the morning with an aim of new PB's.

Wish me luck! :D

Was pretty much a lazy bastard this morning and didn't crawl outta the bed until half 12 so I thought I'd wait until this evening to go to the gym so I could go with a mate of mine who was off work. Arrived at about 7 o'clock.

Gym Workout:

Warm-up:
    Various stretches, some leg presses and curls.

I decided to mix up the order of my workout as I usually go in the same order everytime and I find my legs are knackered by the time I get on the threadmill.

Rowing Machine: 2.89kms in 15.00; 38 strokes/min average; Calories burned: 158

Crosstrainer: 1.28kms in 15.00; effort level 5; RPM 155+; Calories burned: 173; speed kept above 130

Threadmill: 1min @ 4.5kms/hr followed by 1min@ 11.0kms/hr for 20 mins; 2.56kms in 20.00; RPM 155+; Calories burned: 166

Stationary Bike: 5kms in 9:29; effort level 7; RPM 145+; Calories burned: 116; speed kept above 130

Switching it up felt much better on the legs and i felt better by the end of it I have to say. Good session even tho the gym was packed out, which wrecks me head!

Distance Travelled: 11.73kms (PB)
    Time: Was in the gym for just over an hour
    Calories Burned: 613 (PB)

Food Intake:

1:00: Salad of chicken, bacon, lettuce, sweetcorn, cucumber and some coleslaw, was about 200g, basically the remainder of yesterday
    5:00: Dinner of sweet potatoe, that chicken in a bag off the ad where that bitch dances :D carrots and peas
    7:00: Gym
    8:45: Orange
    Plenty of water and orange juice throughout the day also

Good day overall i think.. t-shirts are getting smaller on me, which wasnt really the plan, but I guess the weight training is working then :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement