Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bord Gais Night time saver Meter.

Options
  • 01-02-2011 5:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭

Today I ordered the installation of a nightsaver meter to my house.
    I wanted to cut my energy costs and looked at this option from bord gais. The standing charge increases from €104.40 to €143.34 per year inc vat, but my unit rate remains the same at 14.10 ex vat and my night time rate reduces to 7.9 inc vat. (Night time rate 11pm-8am winter, 12pm-9am summer time). My 13% discount is then applied to the unit rate for paperless billing direct debit.
    I think this is very good, I will be doing my washing/tumble drying at night time saver rates, and with all my other appliances on, like fridges/modems/alarm/tvs and whatever else switches l have left on, I feel there is a good saving to be made.
    Maybe others may consider this option if it suits your circumstances. I live in a 4 bed house.
    There is no charge for installation of the nightsaver meter,however If you wanted to go back to having the 24 hour meter there is a approximate charge of €170.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

I have stated before on the forum, the night saver is only useful if you have proper noise insulation to run the likes of a washing machine at night. I live in a bad apt noise insulation wise and I cannot leave the washing machine on for the sake of my sleep and my neighbours sleep. I have often got up at 4am to run the thing on a Saturday night!!

As you are in a house, the chances of not been woken up by noise from a washing machine, tumble dryer and even the immersion heating up the water is greatly reduced even if there is bad noise insulation as you probably sleep upstairs!

So yeh, run everything thats hungry on power overnight when it doesn't affect your sleep and you be grand on nightsaver :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

If you're using appliances at night (while you're sleeping) it's a good idea to make sure that they're 1) good quality and 2) that you install a smoke alarm directly over the machines, particularly your tumble dryer.

Also take plenty of precautions with the dryer : Ensure the filters are fully cleaned, do not leave any flammable materials near the machine, do not over-load the machine etc etc.

Some of the better quality, newer washing machines can run almost silently too. So the sound insulation becomes less of an issue if you've a decent machine.

They use internal sound insulation and a different type of motor, which generates a LOT less noise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Solair wrote: »
    Some of the better quality, newer washing machines can run almost silently too. So the sound insulation becomes less of an issue if you've a decent machine.

They use internal sound insulation and a different type of motor, which generates a LOT less noise.

Pity landlords do not listen to your good advice ;)

Advertisement