Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stud partition wall.

• 01-02-2011 5:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi all
    i'm going to build a stud partition wall between two downstairs living rooms. I'm taking down double doors to do this. I've done stud walls (wood frame and plasterboard) a couple of times before, but this time there is a wooden floor going through the two rooms. (Hardwood on battens.) My question is, should i cut the wood floors and build my partion from the concrete floor up? Or if i build it on the wood floor what happens if i want to take up the floor in years to come?
    Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

You've kind of answered you're own question there. You'll need to either remove the floor or cut a channel for the floor plate to sit into. If you want to take the floor up and don't do this, It'll be a nightmare.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 318 ✭✭brendankelly

Mark out where the stud wall is going to go. Then set your saw so as it will not hit the concrete. You will find where the batons are by using a magnet. If you are unlucky and the baton is directly under the stud you will have to take it out. Then push 2 batons under the floor boards each side of the stud wall. Then set in your sole plate (on DPC) build your wall. If you cannot find batons the same size as the originals you can use a smaller baton, wedge it up to the floor boards and put a small squirt of expanding foam under it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭sky6

Follow Brendan's advice and you should be fine. The only thing I'll add is watch out for Electric cables and heating pipes running along the slab between battens. You can use a pipe and cable finder. Also don't try and cut the channel to neat, give yourself a little room which will also allow for expansion. You will have plasterboard and Skirting to cover over the edge when finished.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 mikeom

Thanks for all your advice and the handy tips. I hope to start it this weekend, so i'll let you know how it goes.

Advertisement