Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Specific questions about regional work..

Options
  • 01-02-2011 5:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭

At the moment I'm up in Darwin in the hope of finding specified work (construction) for the purpose of securing my second year WHV. I've been here two weeks and have just been made an interesting offer...

A mate of mine is working with a big construction company in Adelaide and they have secured a contract up here. They do not want to hire a local builder as they find them very laid back and unwilling to give a definite time frame. Instead they are flying a builder up from Adelaide for the three months.

My mate said they are finding local labor hire companies just as bad and if I can find 8 laborers they will cut out the agency and pay the workers through me. All ABN - they invoice me, I invoice company.

Now my questions... am I allowed to be a contractor for regional work or do I have to be employed and working for someone else? Also, if I'm providing evidence to immigration do I give the company's ABN and my contact there? What other proof would I need to provide that I was working on site?

If anyone reading this is interested in the work feel free to get in touch -starts mid-feb! Details here http://darwin.gumtree.com.au/c-Jobs-construction-trade-engineer-tradesmen-labour-Laborers-Wanted-W0QQAdIdZ257813018

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭woolymammoth

Now my questions... am I allowed to be a contractor for regional work
    yes. I did it myself in Adelaide. Now as it happened, i never applied for my 2nd WHV, but i did specifically ask immigration before undertaking any work if i could work as a contractor for the specified work, and they said ya, as long as the work done falls under the conditions/type of work for the visa there's no problem. IMMI don't care about Tax or you being a contractor. I had my ABN and everything. They just want to know you did the right work.
    Also, if I'm providing evidence to immigration do I give the company's ABN and my contact there? What other proof would I need to provide that I was working on site?
    I would imagine you'd need your ABN to prove the the type of work you done and for how long you were doing it, and also the ABN of the company hiring your "company" for further proof. You should, of course, contact immigration to confirm all of this before going to any or a lot of trouble. But i'd be surprised if you have any problems.

on a side note, Tax. If you're working for 6+ months, you may be considered a resident for tax purposes. Could save you a bit of cash, check with ATO to be sure, been a while since i've had to deal with it all. You'll need to call them anyway for the ABN.

Advertisement