Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom Business Starter 8Mb / 1.1Mb - brain meltdown for Eircom support

• 01-02-2011 5:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭

What I thought would be a mind numbingly simple issue, taken 3 phone calls and 9 transfers an Eircom to kinda resolve.

Ive been on the 8Mb package for well over a year. It was 8Mb DL and 672Kb upload. Its now 8Mb DL and 1.1Mb upload (this is what Im being billed for). While I dont always sync at 8Mb (usually 7.x) I always hit a wall at 672Kb/s Upload. So...
    "Please change my profile to allow the 1.1Mb upload."

The part thats really confusing them is Im on a Residential Account with a Business DSL Package (which is as I wanted originally, fastest DSL1, no cap, faster upload, same price).

So DSL Support say its not a technical problem, its a Sales account issue, Residential Support say they are locked out of Business DSL packages, Business Sales/Support say Im a residential customer but I am on the 8Mb 1.1Mb package and they have no idea why its not at 1.1, contact DSL Support.

Finally, Business Broadband Support (who were not aware of this 1.1Upload Product offering at all) have identified there is a different profile to enable it and have set it accordingly. It reconnected at 8.1 / 1.1Mb which I doubt it will hold (the download), but fastest Ive ever seen it sync to. SNR is off the chart.

But seriously, no one else found the Business Starter Plus package? For those in rural, DSL1 areas, with marginal line quality its the fastest you will get. 8Mb /1.1 with No Cap for EUR40 a month.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭bkehoe

Hi Matt,

I'm also on this package, but as a business account, and am considering calling to see about the new profiles. I usually sync around 5M down, but the full 800K upload.

But can you tell me something, does your router now sync with ADSL2+ modulation?

Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

The new modem/router appears to support ADSL2 but Im not on an ADSL2 exchange, so Im still using ADSL1.

However:
    Old Modem/Router on 1.1Mb didnt work well, had to resync every 15min. They told me it was the fault of the old modem they will reset me to 672k up and send a new modem.
    For some reason they reset me to 800kps up and this worked fine on the old modem.

The new model arrived, they took the old modem and its worse. Its reporting higher Attenuation for some reason and loosing sync a lot (syncing at 7mb and 800 up but unreliable).

So IMO, the original model was the best setup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 628 ✭✭✭Matt Bauer

Sounds interesting, is that including or excluding line rental and VAT? Where can I find this package?

Matt Bauer wrote: »
    Sounds interesting, is that including or excluding line rental and VAT? Where can I find this package?

http://business.eircom.net/broadband/moreinfo/?package=busStarter

As noted, you dont have to have a business account (not sure if thats hard to get or not).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭BArra

is it not costing u 40 euro PLUS vat aswell

as eircom never insert the vat price on the business prices?

• Advertisement

BArra wrote: »
    is it not costing u 40 euro PLUS vat aswell

as eircom never insert the vat price on the business prices?

Yes it is...?

Matt, followed your advice and ordered this today. :)

Matt, followed your advice and ordered this today. :)

I hope you get the 1.1! I had to pull it back to 672kbs, seems my line quality is so borderline thats it for me. :(

Also Eircoms latest model gets terrible line quality (48-49db) vs the old Netopia (44db) or a Netgear 300n Modem router (41-42db).

My modem reports a maximum upstream rate of 950kbps, so I think my line isn't good enough either. Anywhere I can buy the old Netgear router, is the new one really that bad or just displaying the numbers differently? Eircom said they'll post me out their newest modem.

My modem reports a maximum upstream rate of 950kbps, so I think my line isn't good enough either. Anywhere I can buy the old Netgear router, is the new one really that bad or just displaying the numbers differently? Eircom said they'll post me out their newest modem.

The new one is that bad (confirmed by others here), it drops the connection frequently and worse still, it takes about 2min to reconnection. Its config web page is dog slow too.

The old Netopia isnt terrific either, just better, any brand name modem would be better I suspect.

• Advertisement

Matt, have you any links/sources where others are saying that the new modem is no good?

My own figures above and I asked the question in this forum and got it confirmed by others here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭BArra

the newer supplied zyxel is poor in my opinion

i am on eircom 24mb home turbo

it would connect me at around 19.5mb, and cause disconnects as it syncs at around 5 SNR at that speed, its not smart enough to know its going to cause an unstable connection :P

i use the old netopia 3347 which only syncs at 18/18.5mb, but with 6 SNR and has never disconnected

im contemplating looking at a newer modem, possibly netgear, as i also use a wndr3700

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭jaykay2

BArra wrote: »
    the newer supplied zyxel is poor in my opinion

i am on eircom 24mb home turbo

it would connect me at around 19.5mb, and cause disconnects as it syncs at around 5 SNR at that speed, its not smart enough to know its going to cause an unstable connection :P

i use the old netopia 3347 which only syncs at 18/18.5mb, but with 6 SNR and has never disconnected

im contemplating looking at a newer modem, possibly netgear, as i also use a wndr3700

I agree. The zyxel is very poor. I was wondering if anyone could make a suggestion for a good replacement router?

Would probably even get a slightly higher speed from my line if I had a decent router on the end of it.

Advertisement