Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

your greatest moment in gaming

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

super metroid with 100% of the items in under 3 hours was a big one for me. winning a few big lans in a row in UT2K4 was also really cool. in one it was a 1/4 final against a mate, chosen, and it was a 3 mapper that went into overtime on the last. we were sitting beside each other and this was the guy that had knocked me out of the previous 2 tournaments. unbenownst to me there was some crowd formed watching it and the overtime had lasted a good 5 minutes. then i hit a beautiful shock combo (a successfull full hit of one of these is still one of the most gratifying experiences in online shooters, just like air rockets in quake) and won the map. went on to win the whole tournament but it was that game that counted for me. also, winning a map off the invincible kRoNic in a final was brilliant

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

Beating the player named "Mexico" in ranked game of Company of Heroes. He was the 3rd ranked allied player at the time and a day later he was No.1.
    I wasn't particualry high ranked so he would of stood to loose alot of points and it would of taken him a good few games to get them back. So as the win screen came up he pulled out his internet connection to prevent him loosing points or me gaining them. Posted the replay up of it on gamesreplay and he got a torrent of abuse for it.

Another great moment was when I was playing the flight sim IL-2 Sturmovik when I one shoted a Yak-3 from extreme range. Was little more than a spec in the aiming rectical. Took his wing off with a single MK 108 round fired from my Me 109 G6/AS. Got messaged back claiming I was cheating. Was a rather lucky shot.

Random gernade that killed 5 enemies and 1 friendly in Day of Defeat Source was fun too.

Betraying Dark Onion in Civ 5 via nuking his city was also pretty good. Right Onion? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Couldnt definitively say what the greatest is but for some reason this one sticks out. Playing ISS Pro Evolution Master League COOP with a friend. We started with the default players and were really struggling to string together even a couple of scoreless draws. Then after scraping enough credits together we bought Patrick M'boma and put him up front in a 4-5-1. The first game with him was the usual backs to the wall affair, defending deep for the whole match. Then with 2 minutes left on the clock, my friend broke free on the wing and whipped in a ball to the box. I had control of M'Boma but just as the ball came to me, I was swarmed by defenders. I tried a trick which never worked with the other players as they were too poor. Mboma did alittle shimmy, somehow found afew inches to fire a toe poke shot at the goal and it trickled into the net with the keeper wrong footed! 1-0 win. We actually roared with joy and lept off the sofa as if were watching a real match! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 20,643 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

also playing cod4 hcSND with the normal irish lads i play with against these american load mouths at 4am , deciding game ended with me vs 5 of them, managed to win it somehow , felt great

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

finally beating Murai on normal difficulty in Ninja Gaiden Black...took me fecking ages, but was so relieved afterwards.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

my favourite 2:

83 kill killstreak in the first modern warfare - particularly amazing coz im awful (though less amazing since it was a case of getting the chopper in shipment and then not getting shot)

having time to kill one day when i was younger but only 20p in my pocket, so i sat down to play puzzle bobble in the arcade, and cleared it all in one go

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

cod 4+ shouldnt be counted because the game is pretty much this - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTLiQtVOGp8

stupid, overweight, trying to be something its not and most importantly - generic. there is nothing in those games aside from "mass appeal" and that comes in the form of bull**** choppers, nades & other bonus's. its just a silly mess and so so so much below its forfathers its the equivalent to Steps Vs. Pink Floyd. just stop buying the games and funding a bull**** racket. id love to say there is something better in the genre but for that you have to look 3+ years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭yawnstretch

17.1 second lap, wipeout 2097 ps1

Had some "freaky" moments though over the years. One time I was playing a sega saturn for a virtua fighter competition in Smyths toys Tallaght. I'd been practicing in a local arcade and got all the way to the final match. (The prize was a sega biker jacket). We were both playing as Lei (as per the rules of the competition) and we'd both one won round each, so we were on the final round.

I had my opponent just about beaten when I accidentally stepped off the edge. As anyone who plays virtua fighter knows - this means you lose. Weird thing happened though. I realised during the step back or fall animation (can't remember which the character was doing) and knew that I'd lost before the animation completed. I freaked out and just spammed the buttons - bringing up a cheat menu.

It was like a developers option screen to turn off certain details etc. Anyway, no one else realized exactly what had happened and because the Saturn was a brand new console at the time, they figured it was a glitch (which it was) and reset the console.

I won the competition (eventually donated the jacket to a homeless person because it was really rugged and I never wore it).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

theres 3 that stick in my mind

1.goldeneye unlocking the invisibility cheat from the archive level it took forever to get it

2.battlefield 2 getting some crazy top score on a bridge too far and receiving voice mail from the guys i played against was a pretty good moment.

3.champ manager 01/02 winning the world cup and the european cup with ireland mostly from players i had trained with celtic with who i had also won everything i could was the best for moment for me :D fcuk yeh!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

making money playing 1.6

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,383 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Pro Evo 6, pc, came back from 4-1 down against AC Milan as Liverpool with 10 minutes to go. Won 5-4 with two goals in injury time. That was a nice moment.

Also nice was when I beat my two mates for the first time in a to-25 Halo multiplayer game. I'm **** at Halo, and they were quite good - I was there as fodder. They were too busy worrying about each other that they didn't notice I was tearing up the leaderboard. Won by two kills. Sweet.

My greatest moment though was in Shogun: Total War. In a sneak attack, the Takeda were poised to raid my capital region where I produced monks and I only had a makeshift army to stop him. Up against a numerically superior army lead by Takeda Shingen (so all his troops got the +3 honour bonus). Troops wise, he had a slight advantage in two units of those red-trouser-two-handed-sword-bastards. We were both kicking lumps out of each other, both of us routing units of the other. Came down to the last big melee, 3 or 4 units each milling into each other - and I was going to lose (see sword bastards above). Cue two units of reinforcements coming through for me and mincing the enemy from behind. What were they? Two units of Yari Ashigaru, the crappy peasants that I hold in such disdain that I never build them and often just disband. Never again shall I look down upon you.

The tension of the battle, coupled with the sheer sense of "**** you, you backstabbing bastard" after winning against all odds... great feeling.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

Hmmm, not can't remember many over the top great moments at the moment, but I'm sure there are a few of them from over the years. The only ones that immediately spring to mind is winning a Duke Match with 20 kills and no deaths in LA Rumble on one of my first time ever playing multiplayer in Duke Nukem 3D on Xbox Live.

Another is about a year ago, one of my local pubs was holding a gamers night. This consisted of a Tekken tournament, and a Mortal Kombat tournament. I hadn't played Tekken since about Tekken 3 (I think it was the 5th one they were playing that night), but managed to win the tournament anyways. Then came the MK tournament, in which they were playing MKII (my all time favourite), and I managed to win that one too. Two tournaments, one night, I think that was probably my favourite moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Winning one of the early Gamecon Lans mostly through my then obsession with CoD. I even had the game crash, had to restart and still came second in one particular round :P I think it was one of those meetings as well that I did a very very long range twitch fire sniper shot and took someones head off as they ran between a gap in a building wall. Of course no one saw :(

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

first time I got in a tank in GTA III and just ran rampant through the city, 5 stars, cop cars everywhere, choppers, utter mayhem and laughing my ass off as I did it , glorious :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Because Next is meant to be out around March, two Planetside moments.

1) - 5 minutes after starting, hopped into an APC with 4 others and off we go....until a jet fighter starts strafing us so we take shelter in a nearby tower. So while the others stand inside hiding I think "F**K IT", load a clip of armour piercing rounds and run out. Snap off a few bursts at the fighter as it tries to blow the crap out of me in the doorway and am rewarded with a kill and see it plummet into the ground.

2) - Since I couldnt hog the phone line back in the day (****ing dial-up) I usually played after 11pm, when most players had logged off for the night. Cue me and one other NC player playing a gigantic game of cat and mouse with 3 Vanu's across a whole bloody CONTINENT as we tried to capture each others bases and the inevitable 10 minutes from the start to end of the cap as you await a player sneaking in to prevent you. Or tearing down a road in our buggy only to drive past the Vanu going the other way: cue screech of brakes as everyone bails out to murder each other.

Good times.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

Medieval Total War 2: Playing as Spain, a patch or two after release. Can't remember exactly. Anyway, I had launced a crusade through africa towards Jerusalem, captured each region on the way. Managed to reach Jerusalem but then the Tirumids decide to show up (For anyone who's played Vanilla, you'd know this is a major pain in the hole). I had a total of three stacks against 6+ which included f*cking Elephant Artillery. Stack after stack came against me and I kept winning but taking a lot of losses, down to my last quarter stack, mostly elites kept alive against a full stack. Somehow managed to rout the enemy using constant heavy cav rear attacks.

Ended up with only 60+ troops left including my general. Stacked up on mercs and took Jerusalem.

F*ck yeah.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭zero19

Getting to number 11 in the world in the Drifting leaderboards using the mini cooper in the forza 3 demo :p

• Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Completing Mario's 1-3 as a kid, still my favourite moment when I look back :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Meeting Jazzy in real life.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭ibFoxer

Winning the European Cup or whatever the equivelant was in Championship Manager 01/02 with Shels :D

Also in a random slayer match in Reach, "team-mates" all quit when the score was 11-1 to them, coming back to win on my own 14-13. To me that was pretty epic :o (scores might not be accurate, was something like that though)

Haven't done anything lately. Must play more games :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Singlehandedly defending a titan in 2142, making mince meat of 1 particular clan. Finished the round on a crazy kd ratio of something like 80-5, clan claimed it was because its easier to defend, so next round i went on the attack and brought my trusty voss, 3 times i landed on thier titan roof with 5 of them on it. 3 times i walked away, stole an rdx kit and blew up the consoles. Never found out what happened after that because i was kicked for supposedly hacking. I hate clans and their clanservers. Felt pissed but well chuffed after it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

5 manning and beating England in CSS homenations cup thing + A sh!t load of other cs moments.

Best non competitive moment was probably when i finally escaped the ranch with epona in OOT.

Recently, getting selected for Team Europe in a montage thing for CoD. Which is pretty cool for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭gouche

Going down 9-0 in a goldeneye match with this lad from school on facility. Completely turned it around and won 9-10.
    Also unlocking every cheat......someone mentioned archives - that and facility gave me many sleepless nights:p
    God I miss that game!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

doing the finish Resi 1 in less than 3 hours challenge to get... the rocket launcher I think? think it went 2hr 57min so barely made it, bloody Tyrant and brad taking his sweet time to drop the launcher!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

No question... Beating Jordan on Expert. Many would look down their nose at this, but it meant a lot to me. And it's fucking hard.

Next to that, winning a copy of DJ Hero because I set the high-score in a competition.

Having my Phantasy Star Online review published in Official Dreamcast Magazine. :o

First time I landed CS FADC Ultra with Cammy (not remotely difficult, but my execution is terrible, so this was a momentus occasion.)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,803 ✭✭✭✭Penn

krudler wrote: »
    first time I got in a tank in GTA III and just ran rampant through the city, 5 stars, cop cars everywhere, choppers, utter mayhem and laughing my ass off as I did it , glorious :D

My cousin and I used to go to the multi-story car park in Staunton Island, use cheats for ammo and health to get 6 star wanted level, then get a car and drive off the top to see how long we could last (considering helicopters shooting you and a big enough hit from a tank would kill you). Forget the longest time either of us lasted, but was great craic

• Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

I was defending the attic in well2 in a ECTFCL clan match in Team Fortress Classic way back when someone robbed our flag. I was just after killing a medic while conced, so ran outside and dropped down off the balcony. The flag carrier had just set off bunny-hopping across the bridge so I rocket jumped to try to catch up. If you timed a rocket jump just right, you'd literally, well, rocket across the map. While in the air I fired a rocket, waited a second then fired two more rockets at a point ahead of the medic fleeing with our flag. In a combination of luck and skill, thanks to his predictable path, the first landed right at his feet as he came down off a jump, killing him and causing him to drop our flag. The second rocket landed on the flag just as another medic tried to pick it up, knocking him back, then the third killed him. I landed with only 9 health left, switched to super-shotgun and took out a third medic with three shots to the head. I threw a grenade at the flag and got one body shot on a fourth medic before he killed me, but my grenade killed him as he went for the flag.

At that stage our defense had time to re-group. We had an excellent clan - I remember Ping Chow Chi specifically setting a sentry gun over and over again - but our other soldiers were almost super human in defending that flag. They did eventually capture it, after we defended outside their base for over ten minutes. It turned the map and the match and I think was my best performance in a clan match where I always felt I under-performed.

Those first shots in particular are probably my greatest moment in gaming. The combination of me moving at high speed left-to-right and up, then down, and aiming at a point where I think a moving target will be, to land three shots on the same spot was difficult. That it contributed to winning the match helps a lot.

I used to 'one credit' a load of video games when I was a smallie :confused: Back in my day putting in more money to 'continue' wasn't an option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

GTA 4: Being chased by 2 guys in a car while some other random ped grabbed the handle of the car door. Sped off through the streets with him still holding on, before I accidentally clipped an oncoming bus with him, spinning the car around 360 in the process and landing a volley of uzi fire through the windscreen of the car following me. It was a total fluke but was one of the most bad ass moments I've ever had in a game.

Also Fight Night Round 3 - winning the final career match (the Everlast fight I think?) with one uppercut just as the bell rang. Nearly had me in tears laughing at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭D

I've met Jazzy in real life (He's actually nice IRL, completely the opposite on boards)

Finishing ninja gaiden on the hardest (at the time, the original european release).

1 crediting time crisis 2

Finishing privateer 2: the darkening in one sitting.

Finishing my first zelda game

Playing Isolated warrrior on the Nes for the first time getting all the way to the final boss on my first go then dying, handing the controller to my brother who proceeded to produce a cheat he had found and then completed the game in front of me. Disgusted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,803 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Oh God, I forgot about Team Fortress 2. Been a few years since I've played it so memory is a bit sketchy, but playing the Control Points mode in Dustbowl as a Soldier. We got the first two control points in the last level. They had two snipers and three engineers with machine guns on the last control point, with less than a minute left. I managed to get into a position where I managed to give one of our spies enough time to take out two of the machines guns. But one of their snipers took out our spy and one of our heavies. Less than 30 seconds left, I went for it.

God knows how, but I managed to get a quick two shots to the final gun and took it out. Hit one of the snipers right at his feet sending him flying up in the air and he landed on a platform below, meaning he'd be a few seconds before he could get back up. We had a Scout who was running round trying to hit the other sniper, wore down his health enough that I killed him in one shot. By this point, their Demoman (who had been respawning) came out and started setting sticky bombs on the control point. Our Heavy managed to kill him while I just jumped onto the control panel, sacrificing myself so everyone else could stand on the control point and win it with 2 seconds left.

One of the greatest feelings of accomplishment in gaming I've felt. Sure, it was a team effort. But every shot I fired was Perfect. And sacrificing myself to win the game was just the icing on the cake. I got friend requests from nearly everyone else from my team.

Advertisement