Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

your greatest moment in gaming

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Jaafa

Mile Fuc!ing high club.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭johndoe99

my best was whilst playing Metal Gear Solid 3 on the "European Extreme" setting (this is where if your are seen by an enemy its game over), i completed the entire game in 2hrs 48mins without being detected once.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Jaafa wrote: »
    Mile Fuc!ing high club.

I thought you werent allowed play a DS on a plane, interferes with the equipment..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

Getting to Barbies Dream House on Normal Difficulty..Quite Intense

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

Managing to play The Cradle level in Thief 3 without ****ting my pants.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Playing Final Fantasy 11...realising it was crap....then realising the disc could be used as a frisbee.
    Boom headshot on my brother with it !

Getting my Helicopter combat medal for BF2 back in the day
    •IAR: 30 kills in a Helicopter
    •100h while in Helicopter
    •5000 kills while in Helicopter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Getting to Barbies Dream House on Normal Difficulty..Quite Intense

Getting into Barbie on Normal Difficulty ... Quite Intense

Wait, what was the question?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Funky

Hmm beating the elite four in Pokemon red for the first time was pretty awesome. There were some epic flag caps way back when I played QWTF too. Other than that, probably just when I realized I'm better than Jazzy at pretty much every game.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,205 ✭✭✭crisco10

Champo 97/98, getting to season 30 or something silly with Hull City and getting the message telling me to continue playing I need to restart a new game!! So basically, I finished the game.

Another Champo moment was winning my 8th European Cup with Huddersfield in CM01/02. It made Huddersfield the most successful club in European History. Took me about 15-20 seasons. epic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

Wicknight wrote: »
    Getting into Barbie on Normal Difficulty ... Quite Intense

Wait, what was the question?

Dude your awesome for catching on wink wink :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Greyfoot

Capturing my first war galleon and sacking Havana in Sid Meiers Pirates! on C64 ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

Of of my greatest moments was just today

Battlefield Bad Company 2.

Harvest Day- attacking team - very beginning.

All respawns on my team had gone (all but 2). I had no hope of the team surviving. Nevertheless some strange idea gripped me and I stuck 6 sticks ofextra explosive C4 onto the underside of a T90 tank and drove it straight at the enemy camp.

I made sure not to fire the tank's cannon, but continue without interruption until at the outskirts of the base. I was hit by a number of missiles but the C4 was screened by the sloping armour and didn't explode (if it had the whole tank would have gone up like a powder-keg).

Another team-mate killed. No respawns left!

A group of enemy engineers appearered on the top of ridge and I let rip - killing the three of them with two shots. A companion spawned in the turet and took over the heavy machine gun.

A M1 Abrams glided silently past a hundred metres to my left, but the driver either didn't see me or chose to engage softer targets.

I made it into the enemy camp - straight at the N-Com station. I hopped out - if anybody saw me they ignored me due to the apparent threat of a T90 in the heart of camp. I took out the C4 control and set it off. The N-Com station was destroyed!

The enemy was pushed further and further back - with some hairy moments later on - but a half hour later the day was finally won!

I don't think I ever fought a battle as close as that since maybe a couple of years ago when playing TF2 and winning the last base on Dustbowl with 2 seconds to spare. :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,072 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

When i first saw this thread, alot of memories came flooding in, and i was deciding which one was the best, until something outshone them the most. A recent game, perfectly executed, by non-other than the company who knows how to make the perfect game.

It's not an achievement, it's not a trophy, it's not even something that i went out of my way to do. It happens, everyone who's played the game had it happen to them. And it is singlehandedly the greatest moment i've ever had in my 20+ years of gaming.

It is, of course, riding into Mexico for the first time in Red Dead Redemption, to the blissful music of Jose Gonzales. Without doubt, the finest, greatest, and most epic moment in gaming. It redefined what gaming can do. It drove home the idea that gaming is more than just gaming, it's an art, and it's forever going to have a special place in my heart. Nothing has ever come close to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Dave147

Playing a Clan War in CS 1.5/1.6 8 years ago on de_cpl_mill and it was the deciding round of the match, it was me vs 5 of them, I was terrorist and managed to grab one of their colts on an eco round, slowly but surely I took the whole team out. It was an absolutely amazing feeling, especially seeing as I recorded a demo of it and my teammates screaming down the mic, think it was some clanbase round or something.

The next morning I went on my last holiday with the folks to Mallorca and it was like being in rehab, all I wanted to do was play CS!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

Funky wrote: »
    Hmm beating the elite four in Pokemon red for the first time was pretty awesome. There were some epic flag caps way back when I played QWTF too. Other than that, probably just when I realized I'm better than Jazzy at pretty much every game.

INCORRECT

ql 1v1... heck ill even play on a "map you know"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

Taking out the target then getting shot down in my helicopter and taking several hours to crawl undetected back to base with broken legs and patrols of soldiers out looking for me. Operation Flashpoint.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

My first was probably getting 100% completion in Spyro the dragon when i was around 12-13. The first game i ever complted fully. (I hope they release it on PSN sometime. I loved that game)

Another was in the crusade expansion of Total War Medieval 2. I was playing as the Byzantines and a few turns into the game i was invaded by the Venetians. They had 3 full armies surround Byzantium. I had a full army in Byzantium with 3 generals one of which was my king. I fully expected to lose the following battle and my goal was to inflict as much damage to the 3 Ventian armies as possible.

I had my army split into 4 sections with 3 of those sections put at three different walls each facing an army. I had the 3 generals placed in the town square so i could move them to where they were needed most. The enemies managed to break in the walls but they were repeled mainly due to repeat charges from my generals.

The battle took me over an hour but i eventually won and better yet all 3 of my generals survived. After the battle i got a message saying the Ventians were destroyed as ihad killed all there generals in the battle.

I've had many proud moments in Bad Company 2. Usually one of those moments that help my team win the round such as defusing an explosive with a couple of seconds left while defending the last objective in the last base on Rush.

Also i shot a helicopter pilot from a fair distance with a sniper rifle. I just fired for the laugh but i was suprised to see it connect. I was delighted when i found he was dead and the helicopter crashed into the water with his co-pilot in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Barrington wrote: »
    My cousin and I used to go to the multi-story car park in Staunton Island, use cheats for ammo and health to get 6 star wanted level, then get a car and drive off the top to see how long we could last (considering helicopters shooting you and a big enough hit from a tank would kill you). Forget the longest time either of us lasted, but was great craic

That brings back memories. Used to do the same thing. Stock up on all ammo. Kill all comers on the ground level with grenades and all police choppers with rockets. Then run to the car to drive off the roof and see how long you'd last. Loved the way the camera switched to a slowmo cinematic when you hit the ramp. It was so amazing back then!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Picking up that copy of MGS in glee

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Ross_Mahon

Mile high club, A lot of the best moments are on the hardest difficulty in games

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

is it just me or was that COD player shockingly bad at blinded himself?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

• Completing FF XII 100%. Spent over 4 hours fighting Yazmat. Loved that game, don't care what anyone says.
    • Playing Jak and Daxter for the first time and being in awe of the fact it didnt load every 3 minutes.
    • Finishing FF IX for the 9th time. Still my favourite game EVER, and I could list the specific moments in just that game but I'd be going on forever.
    • Having played FFVII non-stop, waking up xmas morning 1999 to find Final Fantasy 8 sitting at the end of my bed next to my Stone Cold Steve Austin flask. It was a suprise present from my dad. Spent the entire christmas holidays playing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭marko93

Double Headshot in CS: S
    ^^To this day one of my proudest moments.

Or in school, we had Unreal Tournament on the computers. it's all we did during computer classes. One day, i go to the toilet during a match, come back. Im 37 behind. I win the match by 1.
    My face. *****yeah.jpg*

• Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

Getting all the pieces of heart in Link to the Past

Fully completing Super Mario World

Beating Streets of Rage, 2 player, drunk, at about 7am after hours of trying.

Crowding 7 people into one room to try beat Sonic 2 and running out of continues at metal sonic. It's not the winning, it's the taking part.

Playing the Resident Evil 2 demo and being absolutely blown away by that mad dash to the police station. I traded my SNES in to get a PS1 for Christmas after that.

Stepping out of the vault in Fallout 3 and seeing the huge world, the glare of the sun and the bleak landscape. Ot's the only game I've ever played where the graphics were as important as the gameplay. Awe-inspiring.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

When i first saw this thread, alot of memories came flooding in, and i was deciding which one was the best, until something outshone them the most. A recent game, perfectly executed, by non-other than the company who knows how to make the perfect game.

It's not an achievement, it's not a trophy, it's not even something that i went out of my way to do. It happens, everyone who's played the game had it happen to them. And it is singlehandedly the greatest moment i've ever had in my 20+ years of gaming.

It is, of course, riding into Mexico for the first time in Red Dead Redemption, to the blissful music of Jose Gonzales. Without doubt, the finest, greatest, and most epic moment in gaming. It redefined what gaming can do. It drove home the idea that gaming is more than just gaming, it's an art, and it's forever going to have a special place in my heart. Nothing has ever come close to this.

A great moment Jim! It was so cinematic, and for me marked a turning point in the game; Mexico felt completely different to what had come before it, and that's often difficult to achieve in an open world game. Fantastic game.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

If Mexico hadn't been the point Red Dead lost me completely I'd have probably included that moment as well, it was the perfect use of licenced music.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,072 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Oh, just remembered another great gaming moment, or moments, or time in general. Any time spent playing Timesplitters. What an epic game. Especially when playing split-screen games with a no kill limit and 1 hour time limit. Once played 10 games of that in a row with no breaks. Good times!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

When the demo of Meta Gear Solid came out, I think it was with ISS Pro and everyone coming in the next day talking about "the cardboard box" :P

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭GO_Bear

My first was probably getting 100% completion in Spyro the dragon when i was around 12-13. The first game i ever complted fully. (I hope they release it on PSN sometime. I loved that game)

So this ! :cool::cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Sin_J

Back in the day, playing a 4 player Red Alert 2 game against some randomers in a net cafe. I was playing as France,(i know, i'm a heathen) which got the grand cannon and made it very hard to attack my base and not take heavy losses. I had put up lots of gap generators on my base to hide what i was doing. All the others players saw was an ever growing black unviewable section of the map that killed anything that went near it.

No one else seemed to realise that sending spies into an enemy tech centre gave you the chrono commando unit. Basically a tanya with a teleporter, which could insta kill buildings. Which i had done and built a few of and ported them unnoticed into the 3 other players bases.

I drop power to my gap generators so the mini map shows a hige red blob in the corner of the map and send out what on the mini map looked like a wave of red from my base, a 100-something strong prism tank army i'd built up that hit every base simultaneously. Just as the tanks got in range of the bases my commandos knocked out the powerplants letting my tanks roll in virtually unmolested and annihilate all 3 at once. It was glorious! :P

Advertisement