Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

your greatest moment in gaming

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭superelliptic

Beating rainbow islands in one go in front of my mates at my 9th birthday.

But you cant beat the amiga for the 'ol point and click adventures - Indiana Jones and the fate of Atlantis on Amiga (11 Floppies!!!!!) was the greatest game for story and puzzel solving! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Aurongroove

most fun:

the first time I reached the Peter-pan stage flying over London in Kingdom hearts.

fun and work:
    getting the 2nd hidden perfect ending in Suikoden 2 Giant
    (the one where Nanami and Joey both live)

most work:
    Platinum trophy in FFXIII
    Centurion challenge in Legaia 2 (aprx 9 hours of difficult battles without saving)

and recently
    Completing challenge tower in MK9

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭supremenovice

WWF War Zone for the Playstation.
    They had this career mode and I was the champion (Shawn Michaels) defending against Kane. If Im right, I think Id gone on a good winning streak before I faced Kane and I was in trouble all the way against this guy.

Anyway, both his and my energy bar were on full red so it was next move wins. He lifted me up to go for a powerbomb which would have been curtains.In dire straits, I mashed the buttons out of it and out of nowhere I managed a Hurracanrana into a pin for the 1-2-3.
    Deadly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

Beating that Blue Dragon (25man) in WoW Wotlk. It was the only Boss that we couldnt beat after Wotlk launched. Well it was more relief as my raids DPS kinda sucked (cept me lol) and they didnt havent a clue how to do the Dragon Riding Phase of the fight. I quit Wow for good shortly after :rolleyes:

Oh yeah, being second (yeah i know :P) to clear the Zul'Aman 10 man raid, in the Burning Legion expansion. Not bad considering we where about a 14 man guild with Kara gear, and the guild that cleared the raid before us had Tempest Keep and that other underwater raid on farm status. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 54,381 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

final fantasy 8 was the game I had my greatest moment in. Its this one part that took me years to get through, numerous times I just gave up, wanted to burn the disk but I knew some day I'd get it.

The part I was stuck on was when Squall has to capture Rinoa in space. It really pissed me off so much, I just couldnt catch the bitch before the air ran out but one day I sat down all mellow out and I got her, I finally got her

What a great moment for me

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I believe the game was ace combat 3 on the PS1. I had gotten an A on every difficulty on every level in the game apart from two. No matter how hard I tried or how many times I tried it I just couldn't get that A, it was a complete bastard. One night I had a few beers over in a friends house. When I came back I decided to give it another shot despite not having played it in months. Managed to get that bastarding A in every difficulty on those two levels first time. I was delighted. Conclusive scientific proof that beer makes you a better fighter pilot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭turbot

Mine was completing the first mission after chasing the custom military ship from galaxy one to half way around galaxy two in one of my favourite games of all time: ELITE. I *think* this was in 1986 ;-)

Elite_logo%5B1%5D.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

WWF War Zone for the Playstation.
    They had this career mode and I was the champion (Shawn Michaels) defending against Kane. If Im right, I think Id gone on a good winning streak before I faced Kane and I was in trouble all the way against this guy.

Anyway, both his and my energy bar were on full red so it was next move wins. He lifted me up to go for a powerbomb which would have been curtains.In dire straits, I mashed the buttons out of it and out of nowhere I managed a Hurracanrana into a pin for the 1-2-3.
    Deadly.
    Headshot wrote: »
    final fantasy 8 was the game I had my greatest moment in. Its this one part that took me years to get through, numerous times I just gave up, wanted to burn the disk but I knew some day I'd get it.

The part I was stuck on was when Squall has to capture Rinoa in space. It really pissed me off so much, I just couldnt catch the bitch before the air ran out but one day I sat down all mellow out and I got her, I finally got her

What a great moment for me
    Since nobody else has said it....seriously.....they're yer greatest moments in gaming

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭ArphaRima

Playing for the title of "Champion of the Universe" against a friend in Fight Night Round 3 whilst locked on a bottle of vodka on my last day in Asia.
    I won.

Never played the game again so I couldnt lose the title. He had done the same to me in Street Fighter.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,169 ✭✭✭JohnnyRyan99

That part of Super Mario World on the Snes where you find some hidden level and you have to use one of the floaty "P"s to get across a really difficult part of the level... When you got to the other side and are running for home a load of coins spell out something about "You Being A Great Gamer".

Haven't been able to find that level since that glorious night! I was only about 10-12 as well so i thought I was the shít!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

fluffer wrote: »

Never played the game again so I couldnt lose the title. He had done the same to me in Street Fighter.

ive got a mate doing that to me right now. ppl like that should be castrated

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Crushing a friend in Command Conquer Red Alert link up play on the PS1.

After what was always hours of mass producing armies and gathering resources across an iron curtain until the game physically would not let you build any more units..... first came the sabotage, air strikes, naval strikes, even nuclear bombs...then came the clash of what was always sooo many tanks in the midst of the map, the game moved at about 2 frames a second as the two armies fought it out. But that feeling...when you realised that you had more tanks left than he did, and you send the scant remanants towards his defenseless base after you'd wiped his army out, rolling over his last ditch defenses.....

To this day I've never felt such an incredible feeling of success. Possibly even in real life.

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭GO_Bear

Single player :

Deus Ex 1 , not really during the game but after talking about it to a friend.

When you locate the NSF plane and the rebel agent tells you
    that the Gray Death is a man made virus and UNATCO is conspiring to control the supply of Ambrosia.
    then agent Navaere arrives on scene ( the fem bot :pac: )

I told him that I had
    thrown a grenade and killed them both by accident :pac: and ended up merging with helios for the ending :O

at which point he told me how his story line panned out and I suddenly realized the dept of the game ! , which I had not expected much from in the first place

Went back and replayed it like 3 times and
    got 3 different endings , Bloody epic game

Multiplayer:

Would have to be killing 2 BS , 4 BC some frigs and 2 HaCs in eve online with 3 other mates when we where in 2 sentinels and 2 ishkurs, fight lasted about an hour but it was intense !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

Crushing a friend in Command Conquer Red Alert link up play on the PS1.

After what was always hours of mass producing armies and gathering resources across an iron curtain until the game physically would not let you build any more units..... first came the sabotage, air strikes, naval strikes, even nuclear bombs...then came the clash of what was always sooo many tanks in the midst of the map, the game moved at about 2 frames a second as the two armies fought it out. But that feeling...when you realised that you had more tanks left than he did, and you send the scant remanants towards his defenseless base after you'd wiped his army out, rolling over his last ditch defenses.....

To this day I've never felt such an incredible feeling of success. Possibly even in real life.

command and conquer has some great moments,me and 3 mates where playing against each other and we where all ultra defensive with a few skirmishes here and there,so after 45 mins of this i decide enough is enough and build mass armies of grenaders and machine gun men when all my available tiberium has been harvested and men trained i sell all of my buildings bar the barracks and 1 power plant it gave me more money for another small army,so then the attack begins.....my closest rival(lad 1) gets the full force of my men him totally bemused as his base and army is wrecked and shouting on the mic "jesus fooking christ they are like wasps"so the 2 other lads are wondering what the hell is going on and i warn 1(lad2) that im coming for him,so as im raping his base the other lad(lad3) sends his heavy army to fight too,lucky for me the mate im attacking takes on him too and my band of wasps leg it for his base(lad3) and destroy that leaving me strong as fook and the 3 lads with no bases and tiny armies to pick off :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭ArphaRima

Jazzy wrote: »
    ive got a mate doing that to me right now. ppl like that should be castrated

That game was nearly 4 years ago now. We still havent played either. I still hold my title though. He doesnt have one.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭OldManJenkin

I have two greatest moments in gaming:

1. My first platinum trophy, Ratchet & Clank: A Crack In Time.

2. In Pokémon Diamond ( My first pokémon game to own), i managed to train my team of 6 pokémon up to level 99, then crying ( i was young :P ) when i deleted my file to start again.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭OldManJenkin

And also when after weeks of my brother and his two friends trying to get the last gold bolt in the first Ratchet & Clank, me ( a 5 year old ) managed to get it for them in about 10 seconds :D

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Wetai

One that comes to mind:
    First tomb raider on ps1, we got to the Cistern (water rising/falling, Alligators, rats, etc) level and got stuck. 6 years later (I think, it was AGES!!) I randomly thought of the game, and a theory on how to solve the puzzle. And then my sister finished the game just after her LC/during the holidays.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,946 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Three people, three rockets, one spot. All died inside of a second of each other. I shot one down a corridor as I could see someone was about to run around the corner, copped the second in the other direction and then the third just about to walk out behind me.

Can't remember the names of the awards but I was well impressed.

I miss being able to see other peoples screens now that everyone has grown up :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,954 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

It was in Capcom Fighting Jam. It was the boss, Pyron from the Darkstalkers series and I was playing as Ryu. He does this Akuma-esque ghost teleport trick, except he's got more space and direction to do it in. After say, ten minutes of psych-warfare avoiding one another, he tries to teleport into an attack and lands straight, frame perfect, onto my super-fireball for the win.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭veXual

There are a few:

1. Finishing Ocarina of Time for the first time. Not much of an achievement to some I know but the sense of achievement I got from it at 12 years old was something else. To that point I had always enjoyed games but never been enthralled by one like that. There was so many dimensions to that game and various things to accomplish I felt I deserved a trophy for killing Ganon at the end!

2. Another 1.6 story. Playing an ED match left 5 v 1 as a t with the bomb. Came up short and nailed a ct with a deagle and picked up his m4. Heard another ct in spawn so dropped from short and got him. Picked up his awp and had a quick look at the window in b. Ct was there but he dropped and I missed him, so I spammed the wall with a single awp shot and nailed him in the head. Ran to b and planted the bomb, spotted tuns and got the fourth guy. This next bit is probably the pinnacle of my 1.6 playing days, I proceeded to take out my knife and lie in wait. The 5th ct came from mid and went for the window but jumped back down towards the doors. I heard him fall so stood behind the double stacked boxes in the middle of the site and circled it behind him with my knife as he looked for me. He crouched to defuse, faked but never looked behind himself, started defusing again and I knifed him in the back. My ears nearly bled from the shouting that erupted in Vent and the other team accused me of hacking but man did I feel like a smug git after that.

3. Finishing FFX. Not some peoples favourite member of the franchise but it was the first one I ever played and was one of the most beautiful games I had ever seen. Getting the celestial weapons is also something I reflect on fondly, I put some effort into that.

#2 is probably my favourite. I knocked some craic out of Counter-strike!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,186 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Ocarina of Time, Water Dungeon, without the Blue Tunic.

/thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭Gandalph

Defeating Jan Irenicus in Baldurs Gate 2

Beating my 1st Ultimate weapon in FF7

The 1st time you step out of the dungeon in the Elder scrolls Oblivion

Defeating the Lich King in WoW

My 1st time ever unlocking Super Sonic in Sonic 2 (its was numero 2 wasnt it?)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Kiith wrote: »
    Ocarina of Time, Water Dungeon, without the Blue Tunic.

/thread.

I tip my hat to thee, sir. I hate the Water Dungeon and every drop of liquid in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

Online clan battle in red alert 2. Had been a 2v2 battle going back and forth the whole match for about 2 hours. Bases had been destroyed and rebuilt, armies made and broken. At the end all 4 of us were down to bare resources.. construction yard ore refinery radar and barracks. I had a yuri prime left too. Infantry were hard at it. Our opponents had loads of GIs and we had crappy infantry and a few tesla man. The game was turning in the opposition's favour when I marched my yuri prime right to the centre of the opposition men and set off the secondary attack, fizzing all they're infantry.... Awesome.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,197 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

I think I already mentioned my first online race win in Grand Prix Legends.

Topping the leader board in 6 map 32v32 campaign of Enemy Territory.

Completing my first text adventure, The Price of Magik, on the ol' C=64 some 25 years ago.:D

Finishing The Last Ninja on the C=64.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭ondeball

Thinking I was finished the original Tomb Raider on the PS1 before discovering a whole new world full of alien/Egyptian things that wanted to kill me. Never has a game given so much value to one young teenager (or taken so much from his leaving certificate).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

Finishing FFVII, epic game that felt like it took an eternity

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

This is an easy one for me.
    1) I had just gotten Battlefield 2 and was banging on to my non-gaming buddies who I live with about how great it was. Anyways, I was fairly crap at it, and one of them was watching me getting killed & respawning every 2 seconds as we were being baseraped by a chopper. So he calls the other lads up to slag me off, just as I manage to get away from the base.

So, I've the 4 boys watching me and I've made it to the top of that hotel roof (Gulf of Oman map) as a sniper, and, by pure fluke I might add, I manage to pull of a string of headshot kills. One shot, one kill, with every bullet in one clip. Class. There was no slagging; serious kudos.

That said i went straight back to killed, spawn, killed, spawm, killed, spawn for a few weeks, but it was worth it.

2) Was also Battlefield 2. Sneak over to the opp base, C4 on to a huey, and watching it load up. Take off. Fly out over the sea. 5. 4. 3. 2. 1. KABOOOM...
    Zulu kills Unfortunate1
    Zulu kills Unfortunate2
    Zulu kills Unfortunate3
    Zulu kills Unfortunate4
    Zulu kills Unfortunate5
    Zulu kills Unfortunate6
    Priceless :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,383 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Going to a Half-Life tournament in the local net cafe with a mate for the craic. Ended up winning it.

The day we figured out how to get more than 4 players into a Half-Life deathmatch using the same CD key, finally got some good-sized battles going.

Being 4-1 and 1 man down with 10 minutes to go with Liverpool against AC Milan. Ended up winning 5-4. PES6.

These were all nice. But the best one had to be at a PES6 tournament at Midlans one year. My mate and I were there, and we'd had half a dozen games of PES before we entered the tournament. He'd handily beaten me in them all, by 2 clear goals. And man, was he gloating, trash talking me the whole time. We met in the quarters and he was trying mind games the whole time pointing to my record, making sure I knew he'd beaten me all day... I absolutely annihilated him. 6-1, AC Milan against Inter.

Man, that was satisfying.

Advertisement