Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Needs to find Cold spots in house

• 01-02-2011 6:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭

I'll try to describe what I'm looking for !

We have insulated slab on all external walls and bedroom ceilings, and double glazing for windows/doors, but it is quite obvious that some parts of the house are (leaking) cold. From what I understand, those doing BER ratings just take insulation/double glazing etc into their calculations, as opposed to doing any investigative work to find where heat may be escaping.

My question is, what companies out there that use a heat sensitive camera which can identify this for me, and can advise how I can remedy the situation ? I'm in Cork. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭MicktheMan

Mumha wrote: »
    I'll try to describe what I'm looking for !

We have insulated slab on all external walls and bedroom ceilings, and double glazing for windows/doors, but it is quite obvious that some parts of the house are (leaking) cold. From what I understand, those doing BER ratings just take insulation/double glazing etc into their calculations, as opposed to doing any investigative work to find where heat may be escaping.

My question is, what companies out there that use a heat sensitive camera which can identify this for me, and can advise how I can remedy the situation ? I'm in Cork. Thanks.

We have been doing this now for a number of years. PM sent.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 318 ✭✭brendankelly

Mick. Sorry to but in Mumha
    The first time we put up these insulated boards we found that when the boards were butted tight together there was a gap of up to 6 mm between the insulation. There was a short debate and in the end we shaved off about 3 mm off the edges of each board to ensure that the insulation was tight fitting. My question (which could settle the debate in my favour) is would this 5 to 6 mm gap show up on your test.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭MicktheMan

Mick. Sorry to but in Mumha
    The first time we put up these insulated boards we found that when the boards were butted tight together there was a gap of up to 6 mm between the insulation. There was a short debate and in the end we shaved off about 3 mm off the edges of each board to ensure that the insulation was tight fitting. My question (which could settle the debate in my favour) is would this 5 to 6 mm gap show up on your test.

Not a straight forward question to answer. It would depend on if the air between the insulation was trapped or not. If the air is trapped then it acts like an insulator and the camera would in all liklihood not pick it up.
    However, if there is increased heat conduction because of the air gap then yes. TI cameras are a tool which display surface temperatures and this temperature difference will be seen. The better the camera, the better the resolution obviously.
    Not sure if this is the answer you were looking for.:)

However, heat loss by conduction is only part of the story. If the OP's wall are slabbed, chances are that the block inner leaf is not plastered and this creates it's own problems which can lead to a lot more heat loss than a 6mm gap between insulation.

Advertisement