Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Korean food down at Wa Café

Options
  • 01-02-2011 6:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭

Korean food on offer down at the Wa Café for next three days starting today 1st Feb, hope they have some bulgogi!

http://www.olivessoulfood.com/index.php?page=event

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

Excellent :D Brings me back to my World Cup Travel days ..

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭hyperbaby

I love, love Bulgogi and if they had some Andong chicken i would be in heaven :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Monasette

Does the Cafe do takeout ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭stunt_penguin

Yea they'll do that for you, John

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭magentas

excellent news, cheers for that OP
    Love bolgogi and galbi

when I was in korean you grill the dish at your table which was so cool,
    don't suppose Wa Cafe will be doing that?!:o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭gandroid

Tried this special menu/food this evening. It was very tasty. Nice staff in there too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

Went to go in last night and couldn't get in the door :D
    I'll try again tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

How much is a meal?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭jkforde

had egg-drop soup with beef kimbap (10+ pieces) and then bulgogi (big portion), side portion of kimchi and a bottle of beer yesterday for lunch for 25euros and was stuffed. place was buzzing with people with some korean people being turned away! they've no mandu :( and they don't have the gui-type BBQ but why not text the owner 'Olive' (olivessoulfood.com)...if they get enough enquiries they might start doing it :eek::D

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭buzz55

I'd love to get some of this as take away later - anyone have a menu of what's available during this event?

• Advertisement

Went to go in last night and couldn't get in the door :D
    I'll try again tonight.

Oh no way, what time were you there at?

I will be terribly disappointed if there is no room.
    And they have Bulgogi, hurrah :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭geekychick

hyperbaby wrote: »
    Oh no way, what time were you there at?

I will be terribly disappointed if there is no room.
    And they have Bulgogi, hurrah :D:D:D

Had some Bulgogi for my lunch today, hyperbaby, very tasty, so thanks for the tip in your first post. :) (They also made it with chicken for me, it was beef on the menu.)

Kimchi (pickle) was ok but spicy! Just as well that I had the Red Bean Ice Cream on standby after it, it was great for that on-fire feeling after having chillied pickle! :D:D The ice-cream was yum too! :)

That was my first time in Wa Cafe, a lovely place and good service, only it's a pity you don't have room to swing a cat in there. I think they'd be doing well in a bigger place but what do I know?

Enjoy din-dins, hyperbaby, I hope you get a table!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Fionn MacCool

Heard it's the dogs bollocks

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭StonedRaider

Disappointed.

Veg Kimbab for us to start(€7.50 for 10pcs),then beef bulgogi(€13.50) as a main. Didn't excite. Expensive for what it was. Wont have it again.

geekychick wrote: »
    Had some Bulgogi for my lunch today, hyperbaby, very tasty, so thanks for the tip in your first post. :) (They also made it with chicken for me, it was beef on the menu.)

Kimchi (pickle) was ok but spicy! Just as well that I had the Red Bean Ice Cream on standby after it, it was great for that on-fire feeling after having chillied pickle! :D:D The ice-cream was yum too! :)

That was my first time in Wa Cafe, a lovely place and good service, only it's a pity you don't have room to swing a cat in there. I think they'd be doing well in a bigger place but what do I know?

Enjoy din-dins, hyperbaby, I hope you get a table!

I had Bulgogi too, it was yummy!
    I hate kimchi, but while it was spicy it wasn't as bad as the real deal.
    My friend had Paejon and deep fried squid which was very tasty!
    Oh they had an ice-cream. i remember my friend eating red bean ice-cream that was shaped like a fish when i was there, ha so funny!
    You are right though, it is a pity the place is so small, my front room is bigger than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 123pblack

Disappointed.

Veg Kimbab for us to start(€7.50 for 10pcs),then beef bulgogi(€13.50) as a main. Didn't excite. Expensive for what it was. Wont have it again.

Just found this tread, yea I went to this event and loved the food, then decided to go to Dublin to try the Korean food there, they know how to charge in Dublin il tell ya and the quality was nowhere near Wa's event.!

I guess in Korea it must be cheap?, u'll find Irish taxs, imports prices is a big part of Irish prices!

Hopefully that will change!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

^^^

Have to say I'm surprised at that 123pBlack just going from my experiences of eating Japanese in Dublin and having it in the WA Cafe.
    (not saying WA was particularly bad just not very impressive but if they've improved I'l be back)

If your in Dublin you can get very cheap Korean food in Han Yang market on Strand Street, also the Hop House on Parnel street does a nice meal (more expensive though around 13 a main)

• Registered Users Posts: 4 123pblack

^^^

Have to say I'm surprised at that 123pBlack just going from my experiences of eating Japanese in Dublin and having it in the WA Cafe.
    (not saying WA was particularly bad just not very impressive but if they've improved I'l be back)

If your in Dublin you can get very cheap Korean food in Han Yang market on Strand Street, also the Hop House on Parnel street does a nice meal (more expensive though around 13 a main)
    RDM_83

Japanese food is something I don't know too much about other than at Wa its more like home cooked style, healthy, mild and popular.

I seen the Korean girl that hosted the Korean event at Wa is now working at "Raw" Sushi bar at the Radission hotel Galway, its a fine spot but no Korean food on the menu tho:-(

Han Yang is cheap, an Asian Market) import direct (hence the price) but tastes more like Chinese/Korean to me (there Chinese chef maybe part of the reason)

Hop House (import direct too and have a separate Asian market in Dublin) it can be very nice but depends on the Chef...

Ukiyo Bar Exchequer Street
    Is expensive but worth it and always does a great Kimchi Stew...

Korean or Thai food is my fav but
    Very hard to get the real Thai stuff here .. Long drive: (Kilkenny and Kilarney both each have decent Thai restaurants)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement