Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

More jobs gone as Waterstones Closes

Options
  • 01-02-2011 6:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭

It's a real shame, Waterstones to close. I always loved getting my books in there! Hopefully the receivers can find a way to save it. Another Irish institution falls!!!

http://www.rte.ie/ten/2011/0201/waterstones.html

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

RachaelVO wrote: »
    It's a real shame, Waterstones to close. I always loved getting my books in there! Hopefully the receivers can find a way to save it. Another Irish institution falls!!!

Isn't Waterstone's British? Now owned by HMV too so no need for HMV next to a Waterstone's.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭flyton5

Meanwhile Reads continue to do decent business cause they charge semi reasonable prices for books.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Aw sh1te - I love going for a browse in there. With Amazon, Kindle etc, bookshops are bound to get a hammering... :(

Hope Hodges Figgis survives...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭RachaelVO

When I say institution I mean more in the fact that it's so well know! I should have been a bit clearer there :rolleyes:

Still a loss of jobs! A real shame! They always had great window displays when new books were out!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,263 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

Fcuk me

this sh** is getting too much to take

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

flyton5 wrote: »
    Meanwhile Reads continue to do decent business cause they charge semi reasonable prices for books.

Fahrenheit 451, the temperature at which overpricing burns.

When I say institution I mean more in the fact that it's so well know! I should have been a bit clearer there :rolleyes:

Still a loss of jobs! A real shame! They always had great window displays when new books were out!
    I think they're planning on relocating most employees to HMV shops from what I heard.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Aw, the one in Dawson St is really nice.

mikom wrote: »
    Fahrenheit 451, the temperature at which overpricing burns.
    Seems like we're entering into a Brave New World... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Andre80Johnson

That's sad. I've gotten books in there over the years (Jervis). Will they do a sale or will the books end up in other Waterstones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭RachaelVO

I think they're planning on relocating most employees to HMV shops from what I heard.

Only some will be moved, but they are still expecting quiet a few job losses.

Planning schmlanning - there won't be work for most of them...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭Badgermonkey

To me it was a browsing store, I'd then buy the books online based on price.

It's a shame about the job losses but it's also somewhat inevitable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

Rents for both their locations were extremely high I imagine which wouldn't help matters. Weren't they owned by HMV anyway? If that's going bust it's no suprise Waterstones would follow suit.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,245 ✭✭✭psycho-hope

bugger will have to get my college books in hodges figgis now, waterstones would sometimes reduce the price if a few of us went in at the same time for the same book:(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

Always found Waterstones had a better selection of books, also preferred the interior, it was more relaxing. Damn, I'm going to miss it.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Chip Ralston

So might there be a sale? Surely there are books unique to the irish market that are of limited use to other outlets in the HMV group?

Maybe one could get The Reluctant Taoiseach for less than the extortionate €28 odd that it retails for in Hodges Figgis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭MaybeLogic

Dudess wrote: »
    A

Hope Hodges Figgis survives...

Hodges Figgis.

Every time I say that, I feel like a drunk who's slurring his words.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

phasers wrote: »
    Aw, the one in Dawson St is really nice.

It certainly is. I used to like going in there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

MaybeLogic wrote: »
    Hodges Figgis.

Every time I say that, I feel like a drunk who's slurring his words.

Haggis fidgets

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭AnnyHallsal

Keep posted if there is a sale. I got some great books at ridiculous prices when the Easons on the corner closed. To think we could once sustain the three ...

I liked both Waterstones. They had some really good weekly specials that couldn't even be beaten online.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

Not the one in Cork...

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Balls! Better use up my book vouchers!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Sarn

That's annoying, they were great for their three for two offers. Definitely preferred it over Hodges Figgis.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

After Hours -> Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Was only in the Dawson street branch y'day. i'd be in there a few times a week usually, would buy books or graphic novels in there regularly and I always liked the ambience. Except for the coffee shop thing which was brutal IMO

Came across some nice books yesterday, looked at the price and thought "feck that". Which is presumably why it's closing :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭Quentinkrisp

All I can say is Rest In Peace to the mecca of my teenage years:(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,690 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

biko wrote: »
    After Hours -> Dublin

The Waterstones in Cork isn't in Dublin biko.

John_Rambo wrote: »
    The Waterstones in Cork isn't in Dublin biko.
    And it's not closed :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Bambi wrote: »
    Was only in the Dawson street branch y'day. i'd be in there a few times a week usually, would buy books or graphic novels in there regularly and I always liked the ambience.
    Hope you enjoyed the ambience, you paid over the odds for it.

DublinWriter's golden rule of book purchasing is that any book you are looking to buy will always eventually turn up in a charity shop for a Euro.

Advertisement