Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

local sky rep called today

• 01-02-2011 6:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭

and said if we call sky and cancel,then re order sky through him at our new address, we havent changed the address with sky from our old to new one yet, then he can give us a free HD box, with no need for the HD sub, our multi room will drop to 10e a month and the install will only be 30e....

any advice on whether this can be done, or is he just trying to get his sales up?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Turtle-TM wrote: »
    and said if we call sky and cancel,then re order sky through him at our new address, :)

We had something similar. After several years our Grundig gave up, got the same advice to cancel and reconnect with him. That way we get a free box and fee install.

But according to SKY, this was in fact not allowed. SKY honoured the agreement though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 mrdsmith

and said if we call sky and cancel,then re order sky through him at our new address, we havent changed the address with sky from our old to new one yet, then he can give us a free HD box, with no need for the HD sub, our multi room will drop to 10e a month and the install will only be 30e....

any advice on whether this can be done, or is he just trying to get his sales up?

The chances are if you call Sky to cancel, they will probably try to offer you half price Sky for 6 months, or something like that, in order not to lose customers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

I spoke to a rep the other day he explained this to me,

If you call and cancel sky then they will offer you 1/2 price for x amount of time.

If your box goes and you order another all the boxes are now HD and plus compatable however you will need your viewing card changed to accept the HD channels and the plus will involve a call out so really all your argueing is for a new box if yours goes. You will only get HD if you pay for the channels and plus if you pay the intaller to climb up to the chimney....

Off course if your good on ladders you can install sky plus yourself

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭Turtle-TM

personally i dont see the problem the more i think about it.....

the only thing that will be the same is the bank account the dd will be coming out of....

if i ring sky i can just say i am moving and want to cancel, dont give a reason and tell them i dont want half price anything! you're under no obligation to tell them why you want to cancel, plus we've been with them for 7 years or so and pay close to 80e a month with the world pack plus movies and a multiroom.

personally i dont see the problem the more i think about it.....

the only thing that will be the same is the bank account the dd will be coming out of....

if i ring sky i can just say i am moving and want to cancel, dont give a reason and tell them i dont want half price anything! you're under no obligation to tell them why you want to cancel, plus we've been with them for 7 years or so and pay close to 80e a month with the world pack plus movies and a multiroom.
    Obviously they can't force you to stay!

However its worth noting that you will get a much better deal now if you ring to "cancel", instead of cancelling and joining again.
    Especially if you have been with them for 7 years, and you basically subscribe to the full package, so they definately will not want to lose you, so they'll try to keep you by offering you your current subscription half price for a year or whatever.
    But it doesn't always work! Depends on the employee. But most of them will offer you brilliant deals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭Turtle-TM

mrdsmith wrote: »
    Obviously they can't force you to stay!

However its worth noting that you will get a much better deal now if you ring to "cancel", instead of cancelling and joining again.
    Especially if you have been with them for 7 years, and you basically subscribe to the full package, so they definately will not want to lose you, so they'll try to keep you by offering you your current subscription half price for a year or whatever.
    But it doesn't always work! Depends on the employee. But most of them will offer you brilliant deals.

yeah i thought of that as well, but what are the chances of getting a free hd box from them?

yeah i thought of that as well, but what are the chances of getting a free hd box from them?
    Not sure tbh.
    I'd be surprised if they didn't give it to you. You'd probs have to pay for installation though (or vice versa). But I'd say they'd give you one in the hope that in the future you will subscribe to HD and all that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭kbell

If you call and cancel sky then they will offer you 1/2 price for x amount of time.

If your box goes and you order another all the boxes are now HD and plus compatable however you will need your viewing card changed to accept the HD channels and the plus will involve a call out so really all your argueing is for a new box if yours goes. You will only get HD if you pay for the channels and plus if you pay the intaller to climb up to the chimney....

I've never read so much rubbish..

No they won't, they may offer you some incentive to stay but they may also call your bluff and go ahead with the cancellation.
    If your box goes and you order another all the boxes are now HD and plus compatable however you will need your viewing card changed to accept the HD channels and the plus will involve a call out

Again rubbish, the card doesn't need to be changed to facilitate the HD channels or to have Sky + recording enabled.
    You will only get HD if you pay for the channels and plus if you pay the installer to climb up to the chimney....

You will only get the HD pack if you subscribe, there are a few HD channels that are FTA.
    HD reception isnt dependant on a installer climbing up to your chimney :rolleyes:
    Of course if you're good on ladders you can install sky plus yourself

So window cleaners, firemen, roofers are all skilled in satellite installation??

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan

It can be done and is been done a lot lately. In skys eyes its against there Terms and Conditions but thats there problem they dont look after existing customers. The one thing you will have to be careful of is that these sales people dont work for sky. They work for a sales company and if you sign up with this sales person your 1 warranty is with this crowd and not sky so if you have a problem there is no point in ringing sky. Make sure that this sales person leaves you a landline phone number for the company he/she works for and that the installer leaves you a landline number for the installation company he works for.

kbell wrote: »

So window cleaners, firemen, roofers are all skilled in satellite installation??

You dont seriously want me to answer you having spoken that way.

A far better approch would be to simply correct me.

• Advertisement

I did correct you, on all the inaccurate points you made.

No they won't, they may offer you some incentive to stay but they may also call your bluff and go ahead with the cancellation.

Again rubbish, the card doesn't need to be changed to facilitate the HD channels or to have Sky + recording enabled.

You will only get the HD pack if you subscribe, there are a few HD channels that are FTA.
    HD reception isnt dependant on a installer climbing up to your chimney :rolleyes:

what the rep said is true. I dont care if you choose to believe it. He also told me that all HD boxes are being supplied now. You just need a HD subscription. If thats wrong thank you for pointing it out. I have no need to earn browing points by trying to impress you i just said what i was told.

The card does not need to be changed for sky plus but again it needs to be changed for HD according to the rep

and as for the last line on window cleaners. The principle difference between sky plus and standard is there is 2 leads. all that is needed to be done is the LNB changed and two leads brought down from the chimney. I actually got a window cleaner to change mine when i went for the free channels in the kitchen.... again i ask is this not correct.

You would have contributed a lot more by advising rather than being critical

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

This is been done on a massive scale, a mate was collecting for charity in a supermarket recently and there was a lady with a SKY stand and she was telling him how easy it was to make money. Now this may not be 100% correct but it makes sense:
    If person already has Sky they tell them they can get them a new HD box and cheaper monthly subs for first few months and it doesn't cost them a thing.

Then they sign them up under the wife or husbands name whichever isn't currently been used as new sign up and get the fee from Sky for that.

Then the the lady's husband (installer) goes out and plugs out the existing box and plugs in new box, if they don't have a quad LNB they fit one and run the cable.

So they get paid for the sign up and for the Installation

I'm surprised Sky haven't copped on and put a system in place to identify this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

Villain wrote: »
    This is been done on a massive scale, a mate was collecting for charity in a supermarket recently and there was a lady with a SKY stand and she was telling him how easy it was to make money. Now this may not be 100% correct but it makes sense:

I would say they don't want to. Remember, you're on contract once you sign up like this and each customer they get on a husband or wife transfer is the same as a new customer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

Feck all it seems.

I cancelled last august, and went through all the process of 20% off for a year or 50% off for 6 months with them. I didn't budge.

They wrote twice offering the 1/2 price for 1 year on any mix. They contacted me twice on foot of these letters and I made it clear that if they gave the new HD box, I would take the 1/2 priced Sky world package for a year. They would do one or the other but not both.

On the second occasion, I told them not to phone again unless they were prepared to do both...... and they haven't!! :)

Anyway, in my opinion, with the repeats, adverts and so on, I reckon the full package is just about worth 1/2 what sky charge for it. I know I make full use of the FTA channels now and still can find something to watch just about as frequently as before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭chris_ie

I got the new 1tb sky box recently. Paid the full price but over the course of the year I'll get all that back and more, with discounts. I think its a decent enough deal because the reason we changed was because the old box was giving up. If that hadn't given up we probably would have left it and spent the same amount over the year.

what the rep said is true. I dont care if you choose to believe it. He also told me that all HD boxes are being supplied now. You just need a HD subscription. If thats wrong thank you for pointing it out. I have no need to earn browing points by trying to impress you i just said what i was told.

The card does not need to be changed for sky plus but again it needs to be changed for HD according to the rep

and as for the last line on window cleaners. The principle difference between sky plus and standard is there is 2 leads. all that is needed to be done is the LNB changed and two leads brought down from the chimney. I actually got a window cleaner to change mine when i went for the free channels in the kitchen.... again i ask is this not correct.

You would have contributed a lot more by advising rather than being critical
    what the rep said is true. I dont care if you choose to believe it.

My apologies , i mustn't have learned anything in 11 years of sky and satellite installations, i must enquire if this rep gives classes :)
    but again it needs to be changed for HD according to the rep

Nope, rep telling porkies I'm afraid.

If you're signing up as a new customer, then you will be issued with a new viewing card.

I'll assume then that the window cleaner checked the dish alignment, LNB skew, used amalgamating tape to water proof the connections,made an adequate drip loop,used a roof ladder and provided you with his public liability insurance?

Look, you posted information which was incorrect, when corrected you keep trying to defend it. If i came across as abrupt then i apologise.
    This forum is a great resource of information for both the professional and the enthusiast , and incorrect postings need to be corrected.
    If i were to go to the plumbing forum, a subject i know nothing about and proceed to post information about servicing a gas boiler that someone had told me, then i'd expect to be corrected, and i wouldn't try and defend it.

Villain wrote: »

This practice has been used for a number of years, and many company's have lost their ASA's because of it.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan

what the rep said is true.

As I have said many times before on many a thread like this one that these sales Reps that call door to door and stand in Supermarkets selling sky don't work for SKY. There Job is to sell and this week they are selling Sky next week Broadband and maybe the week after Insurance. They are going to say anything just to get a sale, Its there Job. And why they are resubscribing existing customer's up as New customers is that these Guys will get more commission for signing new customers.
    As Kbell has just said

This practice has been used for a number of years, and many company's have lost their ASA's because of it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

The practice of signing up under new names to get offers from Sky has been advocated many times here on various threads.
    Technically it isn't allowed by Sky but when it comes down to a choice of paying up to €200 for Sky+ or starting a new account and getting it for €30 people are going for the cheaper option,a rep on commision is expected to get new customers just like any business and who can blame them for doing it.

What I don't like are reps who deliberately mislead people in order to make a sale,it eventually comes back to bite them as we have seen companies losing ASA's due to customer complaints being traced back to dodgy reps.

I've heard some stories of dodgy carry on by reps who are poorly trained or simply don't care-leaving customers paying 2 bills,signing them up for packages they didn't want,heard of one guy who told older people down my way that UPC Analogue was being switched off and they had no choice but get Sky.
    Guy's like that give the good guys a bad name as they make a quick buck,disappear and leave a mess and disgruntled customers behind.It's very easy to suss out the dodgy reps with a few simple questions and as Scaller pointed out,they shouldn't be shy about leaving contact details with customers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,927 ✭✭✭Soarer

OP. You'd be as well off signing up through a referral site like bethrifty.ie or fatcheese.ie. At least that way you'll get €100+ cashback.

My apologies , i mustn't have learned anything in 11 years of sky and satellite installations, i must enquire if this rep gives classes :)

Nope, rep telling porkies I'm afraid.

If you're signing up as a new customer, then you will be issued with a new viewing card.

I'll assume then that the window cleaner checked the dish alignment, LNB skew, used amalgamating tape to water proof the connections,made an adequate drip loop,used a roof ladder and provided you with his public liability insurance?

Look, you posted information which was incorrect, when corrected you keep trying to defend it. If i came across as abrupt then i apologise.
    This forum is a great resource of information for both the professional and the enthusiast , and incorrect postings need to be corrected.
    If i were to go to the plumbing forum, a subject i know nothing about and proceed to post information about servicing a gas boiler that someone had told me, then i'd expect to be corrected, and i wouldn't try and defend it.

I am not trying to defend anything i am simply correcting you for calling what i said rubbish without giving me a chance to explain where the info came from.

As for my connections. water proof connections were used, as the dish is already aligned it was just a matter of changing the LNB blahh blahh blahh...

If someone came over to heating and plumbing and they were told what they said was rubbish the first thing i would say is yes you would be far better shareing,

Lastly i see you live in drogheda... The rep was from drogheda and the installer was from drogheda although my window cleaner was not....

It seems you get all sorts.

But again thank you for correcting me in such an abrupt fashion.

Hopefully i can return the favor.

My apologies

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

What I don't like are reps who deliberately mislead people in order to make a sale
    Well in my case I got a phone call, he said he was from Sky, but no number showed up on my phone, but he insisted he was from Sky, and the 'deal' was : HD box and install for €30 and also the HD package for €5 pm. So naturally I signed up. Box was installed, all systems were go. But............then I got my first bill !! yep, overcharged by €30 and overcharged on HD package (€15 > €5), so I rang them up, they followed upon my original phonecall with the 'rep' and said they would get back to me. 3 weeks later, no phonecall, so I rang again, they said they were sorry but they have no 'deal' for the HD package at €5 pm. But they would honour my 'deal' with the 'rep' and give me a slightly different plan but it would work out the same as the cost of the original 'deal'. Then this months bill came in and they're still over-charging me, ie. not honouring the last agreement they made :eek::mad: At this stage, I just want to point my wee rocket launcher at (the) Sky and press the trigger until my finger hurts :pac:
    So......to summarise: why are reps misleading customers this way ?? and why are Sky acting the maggot with my bill ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

Jaysus thats a bit harsh.

He/she posted inaccuracies and i corrected them..how is it is harsh?? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Aerohead

Guys I phoned Sky today saying I was going over to UPC for a better deal, no way would the guy offer me anything not even a discount on my contract or a Sky + HD Box anything I was offered would cost.

How does one get something off them like I read here of 50% off for 6 months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭chris_ie

Aerohead wrote: »
    Guys I phoned Sky today saying I was going over to UPC for a better deal, no way would the guy offer me anything not even a discount on my contract or a Sky + HD Box anything I was offered would cost.

How does one get something off them like I read here of 50% off for 6 months.

Seems to be luck at times, who you get on the phone. You could always say you want to cancel and ask are there any offers on if not, hang up and ring back and see if you get someone better :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 77 ✭✭Flynner64

Hi, I just moved house, and when I rang to give sky my new address, I was offered the HD+ box for free, without subscription, and that the install would be free too, which it was. The only HD channel on the box is BBC HD, which is a bit of a tease, but I have since managed to manually add BBC One HD and ITV HD, which is great for Match of the day and Champions league (for him) and emmerdale, coronation st & eastenders (for her)

He/she posted inaccuracies and i corrected them..how is it is harsh?? :confused:

By rubbishing his inaccuracies, he was only trying to help.

• Advertisement

It's posts like that, window cleaners doing installs etc.. that is bringing this trade down, and giving genuine tradespeople a bad name.
    People come to this forum for genuine, accurate,honest advise and information,
    Not for hearsay and guesswork.

It's posts like that, window cleaners doing installs etc.. that is bringing this trade down, and giving genuine tradespeople a bad name.

He never mentioned any of these other trades people it the initial post that you rubbished.

And with regards to installing satellite systems he was just pointing out it's not rocket science to the average D.I.Y man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

bryaner wrote: »

And with regards to installing satellite systems he was just pointing out it's not rocket science to the average D.I.Y man.

This thread is degenerating into a petty arguement,but leave the satellite installs to proper installers,if you get an average DIY man to do it then you have nobody to blame but yourself if it goes tits up.Would you honestly let a guy put in your satellite tv because he's good at bolting stuff to walls?
    I can install satellite tv but wouldn't claim to be an installer,we have had too many instances of this and at least ISAA is trying to get some sort of regulations in place.

Can we now get back on topic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Its getting off topic and you are right to ask to move on so I'll start a new thread becasue this is something that annoys me. New thread starting now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

You cannot bring the trade any lower than getting personel. You could have pointed out my mistakes in a thousend simple ways... As for self algamating tape... Its not generally needed when lines are not broken and as i am fussy i dont allow them

But i hear you that i cannot attempt something... I dont imagine i will call you either if something goes wrong so all in all i figure its you looseing out not me.

Maybe now the op can just be answered in a propper expert fashion and i will bow out and apologize for my unwanted input.

• Advertisement
Advertisement