Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have you ever failed an exam?

Options
  • 01-02-2011 6:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭

From all the threads that get put up here about resits and passsing by compensation it got me wondering about how many people fail exams. It kind of suprises me how common it seems to be.

So have you ever failed one? Or more than one?

Have you ever failed an exam? 74 votes

No, I am a master of third level education. Mwahahahaha!
    1% 1 vote
    Passed one or two by compensation
    41% 31 votes
    Passed three or more by compensation
    22% 17 votes
    Failed one
    2% 2 votes
    Failed between two and four
    12% 9 votes
    Failed more than four exams
    18% 14 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭Musefan

I am by no by any means a master of third level education, but I have not failed an exam since I began school, second level or college. Go me :)

* Disclaimer: I have no life :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭Pandoras Twist

Never failed one myself either. Having no life has its benefits

I always got the impression that most subjects were pretty hard to fail, just pretty hard to do well in too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

I failed (passed by compensation) one of my first year semester 1 exams. It was a 100% maths exam and i failed for all sorts of reasons, not least because i was still reeling from the shock of starting college full time at 29 - not easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

Never failed an exam (thank God), the lowest I've ever gotten was a 2.2 in a history module in first year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 283 ✭✭spagboll

had to compensate 2 in 3rd year, if i was 1% lower in either I would have had to resit

maybe I'll find out about my first resit on friday :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭muboop1

Failed loads in first and second year... Became super awesome and got good degree, And am currently on track to get a 2.1 minimum in my masters! looking for the first class honours though!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

Yep, I failed everything I took last semester for a plethora of reasons, the main one being I freaked out and went to none of my classes, nor did I pick up a book and try to learn anything. You'd have thought you get that **** out of your system in 1st year, but I'm proof that this is not the case :pac:. Anyway, nowhere to go but up from here :P

I would not recommend this.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Gonna be honest here, I lost count of the number of exams I failed at various times in my undergrad. Thankfully, degree results were based on 4th year only, and I got a 2:1 in both my BSc and MSc.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Kournikova

Failed one last year, semester 2, main reason was everyone said it was an easy module so I didn't really bother studying and it turned out to be quite difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭BengaLover

Driving test 5 times..does that count...:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭CrazyFish

Yeah a 100 percent 3rd year maths Module. Worse part about it was I failed with an F so could not get a compensation on it.

OSI wrote: »
    Would be interesting to see the breakdown of people that pass everything or fail a few.

ie are people that work during college more likely to fail? Are certain courses more likely to have failures? etc

Yeah I have heard that work can interfere with results. I have a part-time job but its only 8 hours a week though, and I'm on a 1st. Never failed anything. I think it might depend more on the person.

I'd say there are definitely some courses with more failures. No offence intended but I'd say Arts has higher failure rates simply because it tends to be a course that people do because they're not really sure what they want to do. Has a higher drop out rate too I think.

Wow the amount of people who have failed 4 or more is really high.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭snickerpuss

Failed first year English back in 2004. I only failed the subject by 1%. Compensation did not exist then! This was pre-modules so I had to repeat the exam for all 9 (?) classes over 3 exams! Good times... (NOT!) And that is the story of how I accidently did a degree in Irish!

Anyway, on to my second masters at the minute so wouldn't worry too much about it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 likelydropout

I failed a load in first year and had to semester x it. I'm in second year now and still haven't snapped out of it. Keep thinking I'll wake up one day with actual motivation................

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

I've been thinking about this and I think the reverse is true, how hard is it to fail an exam? An A in UCD is about 70% so basically if you get even a question or so out on most papers, you would pass. Couple this with projects and continuous assessment, I think its harder to fail than to pass. You would have to do nothing really to fail an exam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭partyndbs

i failed 6 :( omg do not know what im going to do!!!! i found first semester so difficult

am i still able to do this semester???????/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

partyndbs wrote: »
    i failed 6 :( omg do not know what im going to do!!!! i found first semester so difficult

Just dance, gonna be okay, da da doo-doo-mmm,
    Just dance, spin that record babe, da da doo-doo-mmm,
    Just dance, gonna be okay, d-d-d-dance,
    Dance, dance, just, j-j-just dance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭ihatetractors

Failed 3 in my very 1st Semester, 700 odd quid later i passed 9 exams the next Semester. It's more about the person imo, and attending lectures regularly does help alot..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

I need to vote again

ironclaw wrote: »
    I've been thinking about this and I think the reverse is true, how hard is it to fail an exam? An A in UCD is about 70% so basically if you get even a question or so out on most papers, you would pass. Couple this with projects and continuous assessment, I think its harder to fail than to pass. You would have to do nothing really to fail an exam.

Reverse of what? I'd agree with that, I think it almost takes going out of your way to put no effort in in order to fail.

From your past few posts I call troll.

• Advertisement

seriously im not trolling i had an absolute mare :mad:

i thought i mite have passed 3 at least, i was out of my depth in 3 exams so expected to fail

What course are you doing?

arts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

arts

... no sympathy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Chet T16 wrote: »
    I need to vote again

haha legendary