Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

redeployment and new jobs

• 01-02-2011 6:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13

With redeployment coming in IF the croke park agreement is passed by the Teachers Unions, how will new teachers or non CID teachers be able to get a job next year!!!
    Anyone have any insight into how redeployment will work. Or is it the case that new teachers have little hope of employment with its introduction?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 566 ✭✭✭seriouslysweet

My aunt is a principal and from what she said last weekend she can't see herself hiring any new teachers for quite some time. She said she'll lose teachers, struggle to keep many she has for quite some time. I don't know what the Dip isn't cancelled, seems only there as a money racket.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 128 ✭✭therunaround

4 teachers from my school who are 1 year shy of CID are being pushed out to make way for 4 teachers being redeployed,not sure if its a school closing or what.sub myself, so thats me fully screwed now.not to mention my colleagues.this will be repeated all over the country next year.people are crazy to do a dip in my opinion it should be suspended for a year i dont care what arty farty research its paying for in the universities.sorry but really bad form right now..

only bright light i can see is that next christmas a load of teachers may go before the tax hits in february if my dates are right.every 2 teachers retiring would cover 4 nqt's based on the payscale i reckon.
    should still stall the dip for a year and empty the bucket before they put it under the tap again so to speak.

anyone that wants to correct me or give me good news please do!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

4 teachers from my school who are 1 year shy of CID are being pushed out to make way for 4 teachers being redeployed,not sure if its a school closing or what.sub myself, so thats me fully screwed now.not to mention my colleagues.this will be repeated all over the country next year.people are crazy to do a dip in my opinion it should be suspended for a year i dont care what arty farty research its paying for in the universities.sorry but really bad form right now..

It doesn't have to be because a school is closing. Under the new system teachers that volunteer to be redeployed will be given first preference and then compulsory redeployments. So for schools that are over quota and all their staff are permanent/CID a teacher opting for redeployment will get first chance to get out.... if of course they don't have to be replaced (e.g. only physics teacher in school etc).

Colleges are making big money from the PGDE, a course that needs very little in terms of resources on their part. Colleges don't care if graduates don't get jobs, it's not their worry once they have finished the course. What does amaze me is the number of threads I see here going 'I'd like to get into teaching, going to apply for the PGDE in Business/English etc next year, what are my chances of getting work?' Does anybody read the papers anymore? Cuts, cuts, cuts and I'm not just referring to pay.

only bright light i can see is that next christmas a load of teachers may go before the tax hits in february if my dates are right.every 2 teachers retiring would cover 4 nqt's based on the payscale i reckon.
    should still stall the dip for a year and empty the bucket before they put it under the tap again so to speak.

anyone that wants to correct me or give me good news please do!

I wouldn't hold out for that. That's what people said last year, I'm still waiting to see the exodus. We have had three retirements this year, two had done their time and the other just wanted to go early. Cuts weren't a factor.

Numbers of jobs are still based on allocation. Two teachers retiring on 60k doesn't mean four teachers will be hired on 30k. Two teachers retiring is only two jobs. It just means it will cost less to replace the retiring teachers. If of course they aren't filled by redeployed teachers in the meantime or absorbed in the school's allocation due to the school being over quota.

ya dont know why i threw in the 4 versus 2 thing just in a fouler now and its a peeve i have.spoke to a mate of mine in his 3rd year teaching hes on 15 hours and getting 360 quid people would want to get their head examined for wanting to do a dip right now.

what the hell is the story with all these retirements?first it was last xmas, then it was this and now its next year.my last principal told me anyone with less than 2 or 3 years left til retirement would be crazy not to take it now.has it been deferred until feb 2012 or was that always the case.ah sure il read up the asti leaflet thats gathering dust tomorrow.another shower of crooks looking after their friends, couldnt give a damn about people starting out in the last few years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 909 ✭✭✭gaeilgebeo

ya dont know why i threw in the 4 versus 2 thing just in a fouler now and its a peeve i have.spoke to a mate of mine in his 3rd year teaching hes on 15 hours and getting 360 quid people would want to get their head examined for wanting to do a dip right now.

what the hell is the story with all these retirements?first it was last xmas, then it was this and now its next year.my last principal told me anyone with less than 2 or 3 years left til retirement would be crazy not to take it now.has it been deferred until feb 2012 or was that always the case.ah sure il read up the asti leaflet thats gathering dust tomorrow.another shower of crooks looking after their friends, couldnt give a damn about people starting out in the last few years.[/QUOTE]

So people after giving 30/35 years service to teaching should just hurry up and retire to give you a job?:confused:
    It's not their fault you're in the situation you're in. In fact , these same teachers fought for better pay/working conditions for years.

• Advertisement

nothing against the experienced teachers, they have to look after themselves. but the unions seem to me to be looking on while a couple of hundred more young teachers are consigned to the scrapheap, whereas if they put the boot in they could hold it off until the expected retirements occur, perhaps next year. as it is, my four co workers who practically run the extracurricular activities are going to be on the dole, while 4 teachers who the board of management have never laid eyes on will take their place. Add to it this crap of having people teaching while being paid the dole. I just think the whole thing be handled much better.

nothing against the experienced teachers, they have to look after themselves. but the unions seem to me to be looking on while a couple of hundred more young teachers are consigned to the scrapheap, whereas if they put the boot in they could hold it off until the expected retirements occur, perhaps next year. as it is, my four co workers who practically run the extracurricular activities are going to be on the dole, while 4 teachers who the board of management have never laid eyes on will take their place. Add to it this crap of having people teaching while being paid the dole. I just think the whole thing be handled much better.

I agree, things could have been handled much better.
    However, the 4 teachers who the board of management have "never laid eyes on", are permanent/cid teachers who have a right to hold on to their jobs and be redeployed, which most of the time, is not the choice of said teachers and a very difficult thing to do if you've been teaching in a school for years.
    What do you suggest a school do if they are over their quota of teachers?
    What is the alternative to redeployment?
    How do you suggest the union"put the boot in"?

my hope would be that schools which were slightly overquota but whose staff profile meant that a number of teachers are to retire in the next 18 months could avail of a stay in order to keep teachers established in the school a number of years and whom the school place great value in. Take it from me it is an absolute disaster losing these people,they have given so much and improved things for the students so much.new people of course will be welcomed.

of course this wasnt even mooted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28 Donegaljack

If you volunteer to be redeployed/ transfer do you keep your cid hours and can you turn down a place or does it look bad on your record.

my hope would be that schools which were slightly overquota but whose staff profile meant that a number of teachers are to retire in the next 18 months could avail of a stay in order to keep teachers established in the school a number of years and whom the school place great value in. Take it from me it is an absolute disaster losing these people,they have given so much and improved things for the students so much.new people of course will be welcomed.

We had 8 retirements in the last 2 years.
    Only 3 of them jobs were replaced due to curricular needs.
    A retirement does not equal a new job.
    Most retirements are not being replaced.
    The hours are being absorbed into the current staff.
    That is what has happened in our school and many others.
    I think that you may be under the impression that there are loads of jobs going to become available because of retirements. Sadly, this is not the case.

• Advertisement

Our centre is one that is closing as a result of cutbacks/savings. The union is advising us to apply for transfer, none of us know what the best option is voluntarily go or be forced.

This is also not the case either. A teacher can retire after 35 years on a reduced pension. They can retire after 40 years on a full pension. And they have to retire (currently) at 65. However there are teachers who will reach 40 years before 65 and while they are eligible for retirement, choose not to do so and cannot be forced out either. Realistically the only 'definite' retirements are those that reach 65 and when they go, there is no guarantee that the part time teachers could take their place as they subjects might not match.

gaeilgebeo wrote: »
    We had 8 retirements in the last 2 years.
    Only 3 of them jobs were replaced due to curricular needs.
    A retirement does not equal a new job.
    Most retirements are not being replaced.
    The hours are being absorbed into the current staff.
    That is what has happened in our school and many others.
    I think that you may be under the impression that there are loads of jobs going to become available because of retirements. Sadly, this is not the case.

fair enough i know in our place we are fairly on the button regarding the quota ie if 3 go theyll need 3 more, after tidying the thing up following the last few retirements. most people do 22 hours here.the rest are mainly maternity leave at the moment. probably did think that there were a lot more schools than id estimated in the same position. theres not enough provision for looking at schools according to their individual needs and I think its something thats being given up far too easily.

Im covering a maternity and so was hoping to be in a strong position if something came up but looks more doubtful now than previously, and i dont fancy my chances sending off the cvs again compared to where iv done my time and am known.but thats life anyway and will deal with it.

best of luck to anyone volunteering to make the move to a new school, and to those who are searching for work.

fair enough i know in our place we are fairly on the button regarding the quota ie if 3 go theyll need 3 more, after tidying the thing up following the last few retirements. most people do 22 hours here.the rest are mainly maternity leave at the moment. probably did think that there were a lot more schools than id estimated in the same position. theres not enough provision for looking at schools according to their individual needs and I think its something thats being given up far too easily.

Im covering a maternity and so was hoping to be in a strong position if something came up but looks more doubtful now than previously, and i dont fancy my chances sending off the cvs again compared to where iv done my time and am known.but thats life anyway and will deal with it.

best of luck to anyone volunteering to make the move to a new school, and to those who are searching for work.

I understand your frustration and have close family in similar positions, BUT a maternity leave=a maternity leave.
    How can you think you'd get a position out of it?
    When your contract is up, it's up.
    Believe me, I've done many maternity leaves in my early career.
    I don't mean to come across as negative but I don't think a lot of NQTs realise how serious the job crisis is at the minute.
    There isn't going to be a flood of jobs anytime soon.
    I do hope you get something after your maternity leave. :)

Our centre is one that is closing as a result of cutbacks/savings. The union is advising us to apply for transfer, none of us know what the best option is voluntarily go or be forced.

According to the Public Service Agreement those that choose to go voluntarily will be accommodated before the compulsory redeployments.

According to the Public Service Agreement those that choose to go voluntarily will be accommodated before the compulsory redeployments.

Trouble is unions are going to ballot after election, CP Agreement will be at the mersey of whoever gets in next, one thing to ponder will the Agreement go back to the drawing board.

gaeilgebeo wrote: »
    I understand your frustration and have close family in similar positions, BUT a maternity leave=a maternity leave.
    How can you think you'd get a position out of it?
    When your contract is up, it's up.
    Believe me, I've done many maternity leaves in my early career.
    I don't mean to come across as negative but I don't think a lot of NQTs realise how serious the job crisis is at the minute.
    There isn't going to be a flood of jobs anytime soon.
    I do hope you get something after your maternity leave. :)

sound, i know, i accept the situation with my contract, i signed it,just there was a maths job prob going to come up fairly soonwhich iv a bit of, but itl be gone now the way it going to work out, ah well, would have loved the few hours!
    now to find that suit..:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 BeckyLou

I have just lost my job due to some older teacher who wants a job closer to her so she gets mine... regardless of how good a teacher either of us are. this system is VERY WRONG! I'm only in the job since September but the school principal is against the whole thing! She wants me to stay there.Does anyone know what rights the principal in the accepting school gets???? I know she is NOT ACCEPTING and I know i don't have leg to stand on. Any advice? The deadline for appeals is May 31st so gotta get this sorted.

BeckyLou wrote: »
    I have just lost my job due to some older teacher who wants a job closer to her so she gets mine... regardless of how good a teacher either of us are. this system is VERY WRONG! I'm only in the job since September but the school principal is against the whole thing! She wants me to stay there.Does anyone know what rights the principal in the accepting school gets???? I know she is NOT ACCEPTING and I know i don't have leg to stand on. Any advice? The deadline for appeals is May 31st so gotta get this sorted.

How is the system very wrong?
    I can understand your frustration, but the permanent teacher is entitled to the job. I know it's frustrating and upsetting but it's happening in schools all over the country.
    Why are you querying the appeals deadline? You really don't have a say in this.
    You are in the job since September, there are people losing their jobs who have been in them 2/3/4 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭niall3r

Possibly a very stupid question but here goes anyways:

Considering there are a great deal of principal and deputy principal jobs being advertised and filled. Does this not mean that the teachers who are going to be moving up will be leaving positions that will need to be filled at a later stage? i.e. in August.

• Advertisement

niall3r wrote: »

Considering there are a great deal of principal and deputy principal jobs being advertised and filled. Does this not mean that the teachers who are going to be moving up will be leaving positions that will need to be filled at a later stage? i.e. in August.

Not a silly question at all.
    The thing with these hours is that most will be absorbed into the current school timetable.
    In my school for example, out of 7 retirements in the last 2 years, only 2 jobs were filled.
    There is less resource being allocated as well as less TEFL/Language support.
    The teachers doing these hours will go back into the mainstream classes.
    Other pilot projects, ie, the NBSS are being pulled, these teachers will also go back into the classroom.
    A lot of teachers on secondment to the NBSS, SLSS etc, will be going back into the classroom.
    Schools also not offering as many subjects at Junior and Leaving Cert level or cutting subjects completely, ie, Physics is not being offered in our school from next year.
    Hope this answers your question somewhat.

niall3r wrote: »

To a certain extent yes, for the all the reasons gaeilgebeo outlined but also not every principal and deputy principal's job is solely management. In smaller schools some have teaching hours as well so a teacher moving into that position won't automatically free up a full position.

BeckyLou wrote: »

Redeployment existed before this panel was set up. Two teachers were redeployed out of my school last year to another within the VEC system. They would have preferred to stay but we were over quota. They replaced part time teachers in another school. I'm sure those teachers weren't too happy losing their jobs/hours but the permanent staff in the system had to have their hours filled regardless.

I'd be very surprised if this panel started making exceptions. If they did then every principal in the country would be appealing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭elle

Just wondering if someone does lose their job due to redeployment are they entitled to ask for written confirmation of this & a written reference from their principal?

elle wrote: »
    Just wondering if someone does lose their job due to redeployment are they entitled to ask for written confirmation of this & a written reference from their principal?

I'd imagine that anyone who loses their job is a part time teacher to begin with so it's not so much a case of them losing their job (while I appreciate this is what is happening) but that their contract is not being renewed.

References would be at the discretion of the principal, you don't have to be leaving a job to get a reference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 209 ✭✭eager tortoise

Does anybody know how the Redeployment scheme (post-primary) is progressing and if it is keeping to schedule?

There seems to be no concrete information anywhere online unless I am missing something. I saw a link in another thread to a circular on the DES website which laid out the redeployment process at primary level quite clearly, and which gives 10 June as the earliest possible date that schools will know if they can fill vacancies themselves or not.

Like many others my job seems to be contingent on whether or not somebody is redeployed into my school and gets the (part-time) hours I had last year. I know there is a strong possibility of this happening and was just wondering if there is a specific date by which I/my school will know either way. Nobody I've talked to seems sure about it. I can't believe that so little information can be circulating and am hoping someone here can shed some light.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭Art Teacher

Sorry to see you in this position, Eager Tortoise. As far as I know the Post primary redeployment panel is not really active yet - its gearing up for next year - but this year its not active except in exceptional circumstances such as school closures.

Thanks Artteacher, although my understanding is that it is active, at least in some areas because I have heard of people being told they are to be redeployed? I think maybe some people in this thread have also been told that they will be affected by it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 116 ✭✭Empsey

I attended a course for NQT's and at the final date they told us that schools were to be told if any of their positions in the school were to be filled by outside teachers. I am waiting to hear if my position is safe however I very much doubt that this will be cleared up till mid July

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 Prof252

Any opinions/suggestions/ideas on the following situation:

I'm TWT for the last 2 years, but I'm filling in for a secondment;
    Apparently, according to the principal the DES/Director of Redeployment still requires such hours for a potential redeployed teacher (how they can manage that beats me), although when she enquired about the secondment detail she got no definite answer;
    As and from this morning (31st Aug) she still has 'no information'

What do we think, people?

Has the DES done it's work and such a post as mine is safe for another year? Why no word?

I feel your pain Prof252, and Empsey!
    I think its like you said Empsey, it will probably just drag on into the summer with everybody left up in the air.:mad:
    I can't understand how this can be allowed to happen, as it would appear that at Primary level everything is being clearly explained and updated on a regular basis. Obviously it is still a terrible situation but it would be something if we at least knew where we stood...or when we will know where we stand, if you get my meaning!

Cheers.

The main difference between the primary and secondary sectors (as stated on here many times) is the sheer number of primary teachers on their redeployment panel. In that respect we (secondary) have more to be positive about. Take 170 teachers, then reduce that by the subject areas, then by the geographical area, then by the 50km radius - as a colleague put it to me this morning 'we'd want to be damn unlucky.'

Prof252 wrote: »
    Cheers.

The main difference between the primary and secondary sectors (as stated on here many times) is the sheer number of primary teachers on their redeployment panel. In that respect we (secondary) have more to be positive about. Take 170 teachers, then reduce that by the subject areas, then by the geographical area, then by the 50km radius - as a colleague put it to me this morning 'we'd want to be damn unlucky.'

Just been redeployed to centre that is 130 km from my home 260km round trip thats 2 and a half hours there and two and a half hours back five days a week, we as teachers need to get our act together we need the unions more now than ever before. I believe the limit for redeployment was 50km under the CP agreement, i must have been mistaken.

Just been redeployed to centre that is 130 km from my home 260km round trip thats 2 and a half hours there and two and a half hours back five days a week, we as teachers need to get our act together we need the unions more now than ever before. I believe the limit for redeployment was 50km under the CP agreement, i must have been mistaken.

:eek:

How did that happen? Just out of curiosity, how far is it from your school?

:eek:

How did that happen? Just out of curiosity, how far is it from your school?

79km !

• Advertisement

79km !

So that's not even within the distance from your school. Can you appeal it?

Appeal that Donegaljack. That's a joke and a violation of the CP agreement. You cannot possibly be expected to do that on a daily basis come September. When you say 'to centre' do you teach in a centre/ is it to the centre of the country? Just interested.

Appeal that Donegaljack. That's a joke and a violation of the CP agreement. You cannot possibly be expected to do that on a daily basis come September. When you say 'to centre' do you teach in a centre/ is it to the centre of the country? Just interested.

Yes I teach in Further Ed. centre, and the redeployment is 79km from one of my work places 69km from another and 130km from my home, I face an increased fuel bill of aprox 800 per month!

Any ideas anyone how certain voluntary secondary schools can advertise their available RPT posts eventhough the redeployment seems to not be entirely complete, or all of the info at least hasn't reached all school authorities such is mine?

A number of religious order secondary schools have already advertised over the last fortnight, yet my own (voluntary) principal has absolutely no information to give my colleague and I at present.

What's going on?

Sorry Donegaljack for your situation. The point you make about fuel costs is a realy good point to appeal on.

• Advertisement

Any ideas anyone how certain voluntary secondary schools can advertise their available RPT posts eventhough the redeployment seems to not be entirely complete, or all of the info at least hasn't reached all school authorities such is mine?

A number of religious order secondary schools have already advertised over the last fortnight, yet my own (voluntary) principal has absolutely no information to give my colleague and I at present.

What's going on?

I dont really know exactly - i'm VEC sector but Vec's have been advertising too- They can and do - run competitions on the basis of positions that may come up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

Yes I teach in Further Ed. centre, and the redeployment is 79km from one of my work places 69km from another and 130km from my home, I face an increased fuel bill of aprox 800 per month!

The limit for redeployment set out in the Croke Park agreement only applies to redeployments covered by the Croke Park Agreement i.e. redeployment from one employer to another.

From your name and the fact that you are employed in a Further Education Centre, I am guessing that you are employed by Donegal VEC and have been redeployed from one VEC Centre to another. Therefore the 50km limit does not apply. Prior to Croke Park, while it rarely happened, VEC employees could be redeployed across their county. This hasn't changed. Obviously in places like Donegal, Mayo, Kerry and County Cork, this can involve distances of much more than 50km.

What I don't know is what happens when the VECs are merged. Will someone employed in a VEC become liable for a transfer across the full new VEC?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Percypenguin

Hi all! I'm just wondering if there have been any further updates regarding redeployment as of today, it being the natural school years end. I know last year that one school in Mayo only found out on the day they got holidays last year what personnel where to be redeployed into them unseating teaching staff already there.

It really is such an unfortunate situation for all our colleagues involved both those losing their positions and those being redeployed into the unknown.

I'm particularly wondering about schools in Galway, Mayo and Sligo, where there appears to be a good number of teachers up for redeployment. I hear through the grapevine that schools in Athenry, Ballinrobe and Gort have already been allocated their redeployed teachers from Galway city and Athlone schools over quota. Does anyone know anything else or of any other schools being affected i.e. schools/areas where teachers are being redeployed in?

Also, did anyone else see that a school in Ballinasloe has advertised jobs? To the best of my knowledge there was no mention in the advertisement of appointments being subject to sanction from Administrator of Redeployment Scheme. This surprised me, again considering that schools in Galway and Athlone were badly hit by over quota teachers. Are we to assume that the scheme has come to a natural end and all teachers have been placed? Can we all breathe a sigh of relief?

Finally, can Principals still be 'creative' when it comes to declaring what is up for grabs? The reason I'm asking is I know of a teacher who although only finished her third year RPT contract (going in to the all important fourth year next year) has been proclaiming for a long time that her Principal assures her that she's safe and he will take care of her next year. From my understanding no-one can provide that guarantee now and even next year will impact upon schools in terms of redeployment.

There's a lot in this post but lets see what we can come up with to put people's minds at ease!:)

i think 6 on tuesday was the last day for schools to be contacted regarding numbers to be reployed, followed by 2 weeks for appeals, so id imagine that people are nearly over the line now

Godge wrote: »
    The limit for redeployment set out in the Croke Park agreement only applies to redeployments covered by the Croke Park Agreement i.e. redeployment from one employer to another.

From your name and the fact that you are employed in a Further Education Centre, I am guessing that you are employed by Donegal VEC and have been redeployed from one VEC Centre to another. Therefore the 50km limit does not apply. Prior to Croke Park, while it rarely happened, VEC employees could be redeployed across their county. This hasn't changed. Obviously in places like Donegal, Mayo, Kerry and County Cork, this can involve distances of much more than 50km.

What I don't know is what happens when the VECs are merged. Will someone employed in a VEC become liable for a transfer across the full new VEC?

I wonder if I have the right to appeal? In this situation I have also lost hours off my CID, to the tune of 6 per week, I am in the 10th year of employment.

Are you a member of a Union Donegal Jack? If so, you should contact them asap to see what your rights are and advice as on how best to proceed.

You are in a slightly different situation to the rest of us (as Godge points out), even so I would get on to the Union straight away.

From my knowledge (and I'm open to correction here) the Administrator of the Redeployment scheme usually negotiates potential placements with those to be redeployed from about February/March onwards. Am I to take it that your placement was not discussed with you and you were just issued with a 'take it or leave it' scenario? It probably could have something to do with the fact that you are working in a specialist area of education (i.e. a training centre perhaps?) so therefore limited scope or possibilities for redeployment. Still maybe there could be something in it to base a case on?

In 'mainstream' second level I know that once a teacher is redeployed in 90% of cases it is ball burst game over... all the negotiations have been completed by the time the school receiving the redeployed teacher is informed.

Also a redeployed teacher has I believe until the end of March in the year following redeployment to make a case as to appeal the redeployment and request that the Administrator of Scheme again to look at his/her appointment. I assume that this would apply to you too.

Not a nice place to be. Good luck and fingers crossed you'll be able to negotiate something. Get on to your union and try not to get too stressed out.

That's interesting! What about situations where teachers only announced their retirements recently and not in Feb or March when most school require you to have applied for career break etc and planning for staffing needs for following September. I know of one school where this happened and know that Principal didn't know it to declare it to Dept until last week.

The Dept will surely avail of these openings to redeploy teachers . That's why I'm confused as to why some schools are now advertising when I actually think the scheme has not yet been finalised. I've heard that 120 teachers have been given placements, but a further 50 are yet to receive their appointments?

What we need is tangible evidence from posters re: schools/areas which they know have been affected.

This could go on for sometime I fear

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

I wonder if I have the right to appeal? In this situation I have also lost hours off my CID, to the tune of 6 per week, I am in the 10th year of employment.

I cannot see how you lose hours off your CID. The agreement between the DES and the teacher unions does not allow for this. Presumably you qualified for a CID after the first circular in 2006 and this fixed the CID hours as the same as your fourth year of employment. The only possibility is that you have been getting extra hours above the CID and that these have disappeared.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

Have you contacted the TUI rep in your centre? I'm a rep in DL and I find it gobsmacking that you would have contacted the union and they've done nothing about it. The following is from the Donegal VEC handbook:
    2.11 Transfer Guidelines
    Definite headquarters are assigned to each staff member employed by Co. Donegal VEC. Staff may be transferred from one Centre/School/College by the CEO in line with the needs of the service.The following definitions apply to transfer:
    o Involuntary transfer takes place when a staff member is transferred, without requesting it, to another Centre/School/College. In general, involuntary transfers are kept to a minimum and take place following consultation with the staff concerned and the relevant union.

For further advice in relation to transfer please contact the HR Division.

You say your CID has been reduced. They can't do this. Are you sure that ALL of your hours are CID? I ask because I'm aware of teachers/tutors who have 11 hours (for example) CIDs and 11 Adult Ed/VTOS hours i.e. not all the hours are CID.

DES from today Thurs 9th still has not completed its work. It looks to run well into next week. The vast majority of redeployments have been made with a remaining 40 or so still being negotiated. Our school in Co. Wicklow still has no information re the fate of a handful of temporary teachers. Perhaps the Director is considering us as a last resort for teachers to be redeployed due to being unable to find suitable posts elsewhere. It really is dragging out terribly long and faith in the entire system is being lost with each day. God, we really are a powerless body in this country, at the mercy of a system that's as transparent as the 1950s. :mad:

• Advertisement
Advertisement