Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a Gun in the 6 Counties

Options
  • 01-02-2011 6:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

I'm sure someone can clear this up quickly. The brother in law lives in Roscommon and was after a .22. I rang McCloy's in Toome and they had a second hand CZ American- which I bought today.

Now, I thought that when he sends off for his licence he could import it personally without much hassle.
    The fella in McCloy's says it's a load of hassle and the best way to do it is to have it imported by a southern dealer and then for the brother-in-law to then 'buy' the gun from that dealer.

What do you think? I'm on the department of justice web-site and there is a form there for doing it personally...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭demonloop

Loads of threads on the forum of the exact procedure, with links to the forms required. A quick search will get you all the info.

IIRC its fairly simple.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Don't know if this links works ....................

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/search.php?searchid=17182007

....................... but if it doesn't click:

Search,
    Advanced Search,
    Type in "Import from UK" (change search to Threads, not posts under keyword bo)
    Right hand side of screen scroll down to shooting forum
    Then click search.

It will bring you to 20+ threads on the matter with info, forms everything you need.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭zeissman

Mc cloys like to put it through a southern dealer as its less hassle for them.
    Go back and ask him if he will export it to a southern dealer at no extra cost to you.
    If not just import it yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

I have bought guns in the north before, basically the seller fills in an export permit you fill in an import permit fax to DOJ you have it in less than 10 days. Now you wait for the license to come through.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Glensman

I have bought guns in the north before, basically the seller fills in an export permit you fill in an import permit fax to DOJ you have it in less than 10 days. Now you wait for the license to come through.

But he applies for the licence as normal, and then once it comes through he Then applies for export/import??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

Glensman wrote: »
    But he applies for the licence as normal, and then once it comes through he Then applies for export/import??

stagger the applications, around 2 weeks after applying for rifle apply for import.

I did it pre internet when it was much harder to do.

It's a piece of piss these days

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Glensman

stagger the applications, around 2 weeks after applying for rifle apply for import.

I did it pre internet when it was much harder to do.

It's a piece of piss these days

Coolio!
    He'll be sending his application off this week...
    Cheers for the advice lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Check with the PSNI as well, you might require a visitor permit to have the rifle in your possession in Northern Ireland. Ring 00448456008000 and ask for the firearms enquiry officer in Enniskillen I've found him to be very cooperative and a font of knowledge in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

Glensman wrote: »

I had the import licence within 7 days the shotgun license took 3 months

Hope this helps

Advertisement