Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drunk Merry or Drunk Mental

• 01-02-2011 7:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,263 ✭✭✭✭

Right, this is the deal. I'm 30, been around the block in terms of the Dublin scene (lived here most me life apart from a couple of brief stints abroad). Now the thing is, maybe it's me age, but i've noticed people gettin progressively more mental as the years go by (weekends and city centre in particular). It's gotten to the stage where i'm not much arsed goin to town on a night out, where i used to love the buzz. just feel like some crazy dangerous sh** is gonna break out at any moment, and to be honest just amn't arsed with that sh**. Is it just me or do other folk see the same? It seems to me that city nightlife has gone (for the most part) from Drunk Merry to Drunk Mental (hence the title i came up with). Madness i tell ye!

Now another thing i haven't touched on is drugs. Maybe that's somethin to do with it, by all accounts i get the impression there's alot more sh** flyin about than before, maybe alot of it's to do with people whacked off their noggins on whatever yokes or powders they can get their hands on and then hence the crazy sh** breaks out

Dunno!

Anyway!, Curious as always to see what other folk think!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭Gunsfortoys

What?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

"dublin scene" ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 loniy

think its your age ( no offense)..im 32 & in the last few years i look at things completely different to the way i did when i was 22,im more weary of situations now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

"dublin scene" ??

Fade street?

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭finnegan2010

Where is this scene? Last time i was in town i was bored outta me box.
    Could do with a good old riot. Where you drinking?:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,263 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

"dublin scene" ??

dublin cork timbuktu or wherever. doesn't matter. if you've got an experience/opinion add it

am from Dublin obviously so that's where most my experiences lie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

i go mental on nights out, theres no badness in it though,i dont get into fights or that, usually just make a show of myself-a merry mental!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭Azureus

Nowt wrong with a bitta mental merriness :D

Ive only been going out in Dublin for 4 years or so, legally anyway, and its the same as ever in my view! Some nights theres the crazies out but no more than usual...

But then again maybe I am one of them so just dont notice :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭Badgermonkey

In the case of the ladies, it's most probably a cumulative 10 year build up of Piz Buin in the brain stem.

Men have always been mental tbh.

It's what made us discover the Americas, the moon and the ability to self-fellate.

Where is this scene? Last time i was in town i was bored outta me box.
    Could do with a good old riot. Where you drinking?:confused:

Lol

Ah well when i go into town it's the usual spots, camden street - the 'bar - leeson/harcourt street - dame street ya know yourself

Though in truth ay it has been quieter in recent months, what with people havin f**k all money an what not

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

loniy wrote: »
    think its your age ( no offense)..im 32 & in the last few years i look at things completely different to the way i did when i was 22,im more weary of situations now.

Should exercise more, it's good for your energy.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Have mates that when they drink they just lose the head. Getting into fights etc. It stopped being fun when it would happen every weekend so decided not to waste my time heading out. I get baked instead.

Should sexercise more, it's good for your energy.

been workin on that..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭Pandoras Twist

The chances of you getting into fights when on pills are negligible in comparison to the chances of getting into a fight while consuming alcohol so I wouldn't blame the pills for the increasing inability of young people to understand their own limitations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 758 ✭✭✭whydoibother?

Merry at the very most. Not even always that. Two drinks and I'm done usually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭scientific1982

The chances of you getting into fights when on pills are negligible in comparison to the chances of getting into a fight while consuming alcohol so I wouldn't blame the pills for the increasing inability of young people to understand their own limitations.
    Good point. They have the opposite effect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭Badgermonkey

Yakult wrote: »
    Have mates that when they drink they just lose the head. Getting into fights etc. It stopped being fun when it would happen every weekend so decided not to waste my time heading out. I get baked instead.

Texaco nightshift say hi.

maybe not so much pills as coke

got attacked by some randomer i hadn't even spoke to who was like a caged animal after (presumably) snortin a whole loada that sh** one night in town

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭stevejr

loniy wrote: »

Very true, the older you the more situations you'll have seen therefore, if something's about to kick off you'll know the signs. No bad thing IMO

What's the reason for being reasonable?

Is that an unreasonable question?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

manual_man wrote: »
    Right, this is the deal. I'm 30, been around the block in terms of the Dublin scene (lived here most me life apart from a couple of brief stints abroad). Now the thing is, maybe it's me age, but i've noticed people gettin progressively more mental as the years go by (weekends and city centre in particular). It's gotten to the stage where i'm not much arsed goin to town on a night out, where i used to love the buzz. just feel like some crazy dangerous sh** is gonna break out at any moment, and to be honest just amn't arsed with that sh**. Is it just me or do other folk see the same? It seems to me that city nightlife has gone (for the most part) from Drunk Merry to Drunk Mental (hence the title i came up with). Madness i tell ye!

Now another thing i haven't touched on is drugs. Maybe that's somethin to do with it, by all accounts i get the impression there's alot more sh** flyin about than before, maybe alot of it's to do with people whacked off their noggins on whatever yokes or powders they can get their hands on and then hence the crazy sh** breaks out

Dunno!

Anyway!, Curious as always to see what other folk think!

Think you need to man up OP

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

!
    Fights breaking out on yokes? I'll have to ask what the **** you're on.

At the start of my clubbing career I was into trance and nothing but, and was out at gigs several time a month. In Ireland, trance does not attract the nicest of punters by any means, yet despite having this motley collection of ASBO enthusiasts and newly release Montjoy ex-cons wedged together in a dark room, with a heavy bass to get the adrenal glands working, there was a miraculously low level of trouble most nights. Why? Because everyone was off their banger and loved-up on pills. When MDMA availability declined and everyone was drunk or on horrible pips, there was a noticeable negative shift in mood on the average night and skirmishes became somewhat more commonplace.

It was a true testament to the power of MDMA. It is, without a doubt, the most effective form of riot control in existence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

It's gotten to the stage where i'm not much arsed goin to town on a night out, where i used to love the buzz. just feel like some crazy dangerous sh** is gonna break out at any moment, and to be honest just amn't arsed with that sh**. Is it just me or do other folk see the same?

Really?

Think you need to man up OP

I'm man enough billy. so's my cousin. sadly for him he got knifed christmas week by some weasel c**t who decided he wanted to start a fight. go figure

point is you can be Brock f***in Lesner and it doesn't matter a toss if you're in the wrong place at the wrong time

course sh** like this doesn't happen all the time, but simply pointin out that it seems to be happenin more often nowadays, if that's alright with yourself?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭g5fd6ow0hseima

Alcohol, no?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Texaco nightshift say hi.

Tell them I'll be back friday night ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Merry at the very most. Not even always that. Two drinks and I'm done usually.

Why do you bother?;):p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

Never had a bit of trouble in town, probably the places I go more than anything else, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭Cheap Thrills!

I'm old, so the only mental I get is sentimental :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭scientific1982

Pace2008 wrote: »
    Fights breaking out on yokes? I'll have to ask what the **** you're on.

At the start of my clubbing career I was into trance and nothing but, and was out at gigs several time a month. In Ireland, trance does not attract the nicest of punters by any means, yet despite having this motley collection of ASBO enthusiasts and newly release Montjoy ex-cons wedged together in a dark room, with a heavy bass to get the adrenal glands working, there was a miraculously low level of trouble most nights. Why? Because everyone was off their banger and loved-up on pills. When MDMA availability declined and everyone was drunk or on horrible pips, there was a noticeable negative shift in mood on the average night and skirmishes became somewhat more commonplace.

It was a true testament to the power of MDMA. It is, without a doubt, the most effective form of riot control in existence.
    +1. Ive been to huge rave where I was surrounded by the scum of the country and I never seen one fight, never mind getting into any trouble.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

I'm 35 now and couldn't be arsed going in to the city at all. Way too much hassle (effort) and too expensive. I live out by Marlay Park, about 12k from O' Connell Bridge, Dublin so there's always taxi's involved too. Can walk to the local, meet up with friends, guaranteed good seats, good and reasonably priced drink, good music at the weekend and a good laugh. Would struggle to spend €100 between myself and the OH on a good night out.

Was in the city last Saturday for a party and spent €350 between us! :eek: Would have had a better night in the local too. Only time I hit town is for a particular occasion - certainly not just for a random night out. Also, more on topic, I'm always very aware of my immediate surroundings and naturally feel a lot more comfortable in the local than in town.

Advertisement