Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Once upon a time this forum was about emulation!

• 01-02-2011 7:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭

http://www.dolphin-emulator.com/

Recently started following this great emulator again and was very impressed to see how they are getting on with WII emulation. Anyone else tried it out recently? I connected up my wiimote to the pc and found some of the games run pretty well. Obviously not a full solution yet but very interesting work none the less.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

http://www.dolphin-emulator.com/

Recently started following this great emulator again and was very impressed to see how they are getting on with WII emulation. Anyone else tried it out recently? I connected up my wiimote to the pc and found some of the games run pretty well. Obviously not a full solution yet but very interesting work none the less.

Wii emulation isn't quite...em...retro though? Regardless, the Wii emulator I found very impressive last time I tried it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Yes, emulation has a strong place in the hearts of all who post here, but typically it concernes only retro machines.
    Now one could be cruel and say that as the Wii is a Gamecube dressed up for going out, that it is a retro system in waiting, it is not yet a retro console by anu measure and so doesn't have ac place in this forum really.
    Better to have this thread in the Nintendo forum.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,890 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It really is coming along really well and just shows how gorgeous Wii games would be in HD. However I'm pedantic about my emulation and if it isn't perfect then I don't use it which is why I avoid emulation of consoles when they are 3D. Still this one looks a lot closer than other emulators I've seen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,269 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I think what Ronan|Raven means is this once was the emulation forum...and wasn't quite so 100% retro gaming related. I'm also pretty sure he moderated it back in those days too.

See the title of the biki page for Arcade and Retro -

http://wiki.boards.ie/index.php?search=arcade+&ns0=1&title=Special%3ASearch&fulltext=Search&fulltext=Search

Also found this..I quite like the FF VII entry :D

http://wiki.boards.ie/wiki/Retr0gamer
    Retr0gamer wrote:
    Final Fantasy VII One of the greatest videogames ever made. The storyline is fantastic and you will fall in love with the characters and get emotionally involved in their struggle. Great fun to play and utterly compelling until the final cutscene. Has one of the greatest soundtracks ever. A game that should be played by everyone with even the remotest interest in games. 9.8/10

o1s1n wrote: »
    I think what Ronan|Raven means is this once was the emulation forum...and wasn't quite so 100% retro gaming related. I'm also pretty sure he moderated it back in those days too.

See the title of the biki page for Arcade and Retro -

http://wiki.boards.ie/index.php?search=arcade+&ns0=1&title=Special%3ASearch&fulltext=Search&fulltext=Search

Also found this..I quite like the FF VII entry :D

http://wiki.boards.ie/wiki/Retr0gamer

Ah I see, my bad so :o Hail the return of the mod, Cider I'd be worried if I were you :p

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,890 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Oh forgot about that page. Must see what other embarassments are there.

Master of the Universe

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Oh forgot about that page. Must see what other embarassments are there.

/Content saved for posterity :pac:

Haha! just read the Halo 2 one. I remember writing that showing off since I'd played the game 2 months before it came out, how wrong I was :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

No point in boasting, everyone played Halo2 2 months before release!

And welcome back ex mod, nice to have you back, cool to see old faces, including ambro25 posting here again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

I used to hang around aswell when it was the emulation forum as I'm sure Logie did aswell.
    The more Cab/Mame talk I just skim over really.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,755 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Know what the great thing about wiki pages is? The edit ability.

*cackles fiendishly and hides in corner*

Master of the Universe

Why didn't I think of that? :pac:

/account created

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

I never saw that wiki before, I'm too lazy to do damage on it though
    Final Fantasy X In my opinion the best game on the PS2

I do like that comment though, sure to raise some brows

I never saw that wiki before, I'm too lazy to do damage on it though

I do like that comment though, sure to raise some brows

It's written proof that he's a troll, he sits back & laughs as we get all worked up & flustered arguing against him - I'm convinced of it :D

I wonder what Retr0 will be ashamed of in 5 years time, what recent bit of his wit and wisdom will be a source of e
    mbarrassment in years to come?
    Answers on a postcard to the usual address!

EnterNow wrote: »
    It's written proof that he's a troll, he sits back & laughs as we get all worked up & flustered arguing against him - I'm convinced of it :D

In fairness I wrote that after I'd beaten the game shortly after it was released and it was pretty much the best game on the system at the time. Anyway better to be wrong and admit it than be stubborn about it I think.

In fairness I wrote that after I'd beaten the game shortly after it was released and it was pretty much the best game on the system at the time.

Ah so you do judge games based on how they were percieved at the time? I thought only new criteria applied in your assesments, as we seen in the "Yes, it is fair to compare Dodgem to GRID" argument :D

Retr0gamer wrote:
    Anyway better to be wrong and admit it than be stubborn about it I think.

Absoloutely, I always find it's a sign of intelligence :) I'm always admitting I'm wrong :pac:

EnterNow wrote: »
    Ah so you do judge games based on how they were percieved at the time? I thought only new criteria applied in your assesments, as we seen in the "Yes, it is fair to compare Dodgem to GRID" argument :D

Well FFX is a damn fine game still and sure we all know I'm a big love of hyperbole. I freely admit that I do get caught up in the hype some what as well. However I just have to follow the words of the great warrior poet Chuck D when he said 'Don't believe the hype' to set me on the proper course.

However I just have to follow the words of the great warrior poet Chuck D when he said 'Don't believe the hype' to set me on the proper course.

Ah yes, Public Enemy, my gods they were brilliant.
    Saw them twice and they rocked the joint!

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Ah yes, Public Enemy, my gods they were brilliant.
    Saw them twice and they rocked the joint!

My brother dragged me to them when they played vicar street. Turned out to be probably the best concert I've ever been to. Most bands take a break before the encore. Public Enemy had Chuck D breaking out an electric guitar and playing aerosmith and whiskey in the jar before the encore. Totally opened my eyes to them.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,975 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

Ronan|Raven, Ste- where have you been? ;)

Wii came out in 2006 that's old enough for me... I started posting here when it was all about emulation. That's back when they were decrypting CPS2 boards, CPS3 emualtion was a pipe dream and trying to set up WinUAE could result in a stroke. Some of us have moved on to owning bloody huge cabs but emulation is still a topic close to my heart.

I remember when Dolphin struggled to emulate the gamecube. It's clearly come a long way. Hooking up a wii remote to my PC sounds like a great idea but now im of to see how Namco/Sega Triforce emulation is going.... Yeah you know you want to Play F-zero AX and Virtua Soccer.

I'd rather finally get to play the two Namco Mario Kart games finally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Hygro

I've started getting my emulator catalogue up and running, but it's so hard to think of games that I ain't got that would be good to add to the collection ... at present I've got kinda got the basic MAME sorted along with Neo Geo, but I'm having trouble with ne called Kawaks, which doesn't appear to run any of the games it claims to.

If I can manage to get that sorted maybe I'll move on to the console emulators.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,975 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

I'd rather finally get to play the two Namco Mario Kart games finally.

Well yes theres those too...

Kawaks may just not like your roms make sure they're named correctly.

I got into emulation in 97, using Mame, Genecyst, not sure what the Snes emu of the day was, my pc in those days ran them well, I had no internet connection but used to work in Gamesworld in town, I used to go to the Global Internet Cafe on OConnell street with a backpack full of floppies, disk spanning to get the larger games home.

I have an older version of Mame with a selection of classic roms on a stick that I put on every pc I find myself working with...

I think I'll get a PspGo for emu on the go, now its busted wide open it looks like the format of choice for retro gaming portability.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

LoGiE wrote: »
    Ronan|Raven

I have been on a mystical voyage of discovery and greatness!

(I lie I have been sat at a pc cursing the world!)

Callus95 sold me on emu's a long time ago. Them's were the days :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭yrwhu8jxtni06a

LoGiE wrote: »
    trying to set up WinUAE could result in a stroke

Fantastic emulator.

I think it got a bit silly when mame started trying to emulate the 3D systems and started getting slower and slower and less compatible. That and the development team changed and they started taking out games that the emulation wasn't perfect on and being really pedantic about it. Frankly I'd much rather have a dedicated emulator for stuff like STV, Namco System 11 and above and the Sega Model arcade boards so that they actually run full speed and keep a good highly compatible version of mame where you don't have to update all your roms with maybe 10 bytes of data so that they will still run. Sure even al the rom sites have stopped trying to keep up with mame.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Hygro

Think I've got the hang of Kawaks now ... I'm actually wondering why I bothered though, I've just realised that I've most of the games working on MAME already ... with the exception of the Street Fighter Alpha series and Marvel v Capcom games.

Advertisement