Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has a mod ever been fired?

Options
  • 01-02-2011 7:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭

Dont know if this is the right place to ask sorry if its not. I was wondering has a mod ever been removed from their job here on boards.ie?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Kunle wrote: »
    Dont know if this is the right place to ask sorry if its not. I was wondering has a mod ever been removed from their job here on boards.ie?

Yes, mods do get demodded if they misbehave. There's more than 500 mods, we can't all be saints.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Mods are not paid to mod, it's not a job, each mod does it for free cos they enjoy the forums they mod and want to help out.

Yes mods have been removed by the admins when they have stepped out of line.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Getting fired would imply there is some sort of job or contract.

But as others have said, yes, mods have been defrocked in the past.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭Darragh

Sorry to be pedantic, but I too will echo that moderating the forums on here is not a "job" - Mods don't get paid - it's more a respobsibility (or burden ;))

Moderators are just members with a bit of common sense, appointed by other moderators/fellow forum members as having cop on, not being trouble makers and having the best interests of the forum and its members in mind. They're obeying Rule Number One.

There are paid staff - Dav, Conor, Ross and me - and we work in the Boards.ie office, helping mods when we need to.

Hope that helps!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

How are you doing on working out tax breaks for us Darragh?
    :pac:

Decisions to make somebody a moderator of a particular forum are not made on a whim. It can be a bloody nightmare to find a new moderator for a forum and then to get the new moderator approved. That process goes up one step at a time and can take months. If somebody doesn't fit a forum somebody along the line will point it out and discussion results.
    Similarly the decision to remove a moderator would also be pondered heavily. It doesn't happen on a whim but it does happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Mods do get "jerked" out of the mod "circle"

See what i did there?

No?

Yea? - but no funneah?

Ok - sorry, ive had a stressful day at work.

How about admins? Any of them ever get fired? De-adminned, whatever.

Admins have changed since I've been here, but I don't think any of them have been stood down or asked to leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

What do Admins do that mods don't?

Admins have more administrative control on the site, sitewide, while moderators only have control in the forums that they moderate.

Admins can create forums, siteban spammers/troublemakers, change usernames, order coke and hookers on the credit card and also appoint Moderators and cMods and so on.

They're also like the Jedi Council of Boards.ie - most decisions get sense-checked by them and we discuss the running of the site.

There are currently, to my knowledge, 15 Admins and 556 Moderators to run the 928 forums we have active at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

can i be a admin plx??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

snyper wrote: »
    Ok - sorry, ive had a stressful day at work.

Don't worry snyper, I lol'd.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

What do Admins do that mods don't?

Class A drugs, and nicer hookers I hear.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Class A drugs, and nicer hookers I hear.

Don't forget the canapés. It's all about the canapés.

Mmmm. Canapés.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Canapés? I was told it was canopies and now I've a back garden full of them. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Luck you, I got a jalopy.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    canapés.

I thought Darragh just had a thick country accent. I've been pouring it down the toilet each week after the first. it tasted horrible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Darragh wrote: »
    They're also like the Jedi Council of Boards.ie

I thought I've seen my fair share of nerdy sentences in my time on the site but jesus christ, this really takes the biscuit.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

It's been a while since I had a can o' peas.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

If they're the jedi council, do they get, like, Obi-Wan Canapés?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

I thought I've seen my fair share of nerdy sentences in my time on the site but jesus christ, this really takes the biscuit.

be quiet moderator Binks.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

How about admins? Any of them ever get fired? De-adminned, whatever.

Left of their accord, yet.
    Fired? No.
    By the time someone has been chosen as an Admin, they have well and truly displayed the cut of their gib.

Where's this credit card you speak of Darragh?
    I needs me a new hooker.

Jedi B

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

They're also like the Jedi Council of Boards.ie -
    Sense, they make a lot of. Backwards, they teach us to speak, robes they wear, and walk with long sticks they do.

The admins must be doing things right though, because I for one, dont notice them. If they were screwing up, it would be broadcast news all over feedback. The good thing these days is that when mods break rules or whatever, it is discussed openly, and it is dealt with. I dont think its a problem, the system works, imo.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭bamboozling

At what point does this thread cease to become feedback?

The poor man politics thread was closed due to the fact is was derailed, had strayed off topic and the feedback being given was no longer relevant.

Most of the posts are of absolutely no relevance whatsoever to the OP and just mindless drivel about canopes and jedi council. If one thread gets closed for being off topic then surely this thread should also get closed as the OP's question has been answered and feedback given, regardless of the persons involved.

What makes this thread so different? I was under the impression that this was Feedback not After Hours.

What makes this thread so different?

Attitude, plain and simple.

Feedback is a place for discussing Boards.ie, and if people have fun doing that then great.

But it's a fair point too. We'll be more serious from now on.

Looks like bamboozling is Bubba Fett up with the off-topic posting here.

OK, dunno if that worked so well ..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

Looks like bamboozling is Bubba Fett up with the off-topic posting here.

OK, dunno if that worked so well ..

Bubba Fett? The well known shrimp boat owning intergalactic bounty hunter?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

But it's a fair point too. We'll be more serious from now on.

Bubble burster.

bamboozling
    The OP has been answered. Fully.
    What else do you want us to say on the subject?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭bamboozling

Beruthiel wrote: »
    bamboozling
    The OP has been answered. Fully.
    What else do you want us to say on the subject?

I don't mind what you say but I was merely pointing out the hypocrisy whereby other threads in Feedback are locked for straying off topic yet this one was not despite straying wildly off topic.

I would have thought the OP's question being answered the thread would just be left alone rather than a meeting point for regular users to tell their Star Wars puns.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement